THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results Empty SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 am

TOKYO -- Former Pride Fighting Championships lightweight titleholder Takanori Gomi battled through five rounds of ferocious striking against Tony Hervey and won a unanimous decision in the Vale Tudo Japan 2009 main event on Friday at JCB Hall.

Round one saw Gomi push the fight to the mat, where he took Hervey’s back and fought to keep control. However, he surrendered to Hervey’s brute strength. The King of the Cage champion created distance with flashy but powerful kicks, as Gomi held dominance on the mat. The second and third rounds saw more of the same. Hervey tried to punish Gomi from a distance, while the Japanese standout attacked the American’s mid-section with slick punching combinations. Near the end of the third, Hervey almost relinquished his place in the bout, as he struggled to fight off an armbar.

By round four, both men were clearly exhausted, but Hervey faired better in the exchanges and was the slightly more active of the two. For a time, it appeared as though he might finish Gomi with knees and stomps, but “The Fireball Kid” proved resilient. In the waning moments, the lightweights pressed each other to commit and picked their shots, with Gomi eating a fewer than he landed.

Once the world’s top-ranked lightweight, Gomi has won back-to-back fights since his submission loss to former Sengoku champion Satoru Kitaoka in January.

In the co-main event, “Lion” Takeshi Inoue stopped former Shooto champion Alexandre Franca Nogueira on fourth-round strikes.

The early stages of the non-title affair saw the one-time 143-pound champion control the match with superior ground skills, but he failed to finish. In round two, Inoue defended a takedown and peppered his Brazilian foe with punches until Nogueira reversed the position, punished Inoue with knees in side control and barely missed a brutal stomp.

Round four was a major turning point for the 29-year-old Inoue, after Nogueira took an upkick to the face and allowed him to stand. A stiff jab brought Nogueira to the mat, where Inoue jumped in for the finish and ended the fight with punches 2:58 into the period.

Meanwhile, Willamy Freire captured the Shooto 154-pound crown with a first-round technical knockout against Kenichiro Togashi.

Freire went for the kill with pawing jabs and a series of hooks that stunned Togashi. The Japanese fighter scored a quick knockdown, but Willamy was quick to answer, as he launched an onslaught of blows that broke Togashi’s nose. Togashi tried to continue but could not, and the bout was halted 2:05 into round one.

Rumina Sato ended his match even more decisively.

In what felt like Sato’s retirement fight, Team Quest’s Cory Grant pressured the Japanese veteran with multiple throws and glancing head kicks. Sato avoided damage and, after a brief exchange, exploded with a devastating Superman punch that dropped his American counterpart. Sato followed with a quick knee to the head and dropped heavy punches for good measure, forcing the referee to intervene 3:20 into the match.

Elsewhere, two-time Shooto champion, Mamoru Yamaguchi made quick work of Guam import Jesse Taitano, as he stuffed his shot, scored with a knockdown and finished him with punches 4:41 into the first round. Finally, Urijah Faber stablemate Tito Jones picked apart Tenkei Oda with superior striking, nabbing the unanimous decision.

Other Bouts
    Jung Min Kang def. Yoichiro Sato -- KO (Punches) 2:48 R1
    Kosuke Eda draws Masato Sannai -- Majority Draw
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results Empty Re: SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:26 pm

Anyone got Videos yet?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results Empty Re: SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:27 pm

thanks for this ben, im glad Gomi won.
    He is my favourite all time lightweight. Apprently he was easily winning and hervey was saved by the bell before Gomi gassed HARD in the third round. Gomi was almost finished at one point but he is as tough as they come. He was too exhausted to give a post fight interview and had to be taken to hospital with an injured rib!

disspointing that he couldnt KO him but Hervey has never been KOd and i think they were using Shooto gloves which are bigger.

I couldnt find any video of that fight but here are 2 pics

after the 3rd round:
    SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results 20091031010
    after the fight:
    SPOILER Vale Tudo Japan 2009 results 091030_shooto_01

the only video i could find was of the Sato fight
    interesting too see stomps, soccer kicks and elbows allowed in the same fight. (i beleive they have the same thing in Art of War in china)

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:37 pm

cool cheers for that Gomi is a legend, I like to see him back in the top 10... It seems like hardly any time agao it was BJ Penn number 1 Gomi number 2.

The fight was supposed to be a war by all accounts. Strange they wore gloves bigger than 5oz'ers but could stomp or Elbow! Its usually one or the other...

Makes me think as much as I like Deversity in MMA I would like every organisation to agree on 1 set of rules.

Im in work so the 2nd picture I cant see for some reason but Ill try and find the videos when I get home... REally strange that there was a few big names fighting and the even got 0 coverage from MMA sites!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:23 pm

if there were to be 1 set of rules in mma, i could do without stomps, soccer kicks (i like both though) and elbows, but knees on the ground are a must and i cant see the UFC or more importantly the athletic commissions agreeing to it.

as for Gomi, he would be a great addition to the UFC, world class fighter, a PRIDE champ that hasnt lost in the UFC , the only other ones are Fedor and Misaki.
    well rounded(ish), and most importantly, he brings it every time out, he would probably get fight of the night bonus in most if not all of his fights.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 pm

edit: embedding wont work for dailymotion

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb08kt_vtj-09-gomi-vs-hervey-1-of-3_sport

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb08ql_vtj-09-gomi-vs-hervey-2-of-3_sport

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb08ul_vtj-09-gomi-vs-hervey-3-of-3_sport

good performance from both men, i dont know how Hervey survived round 3 and that armbar.

first 3 rounds was "vintage Gomi", the accuracy and power of his punches is fantastic.

last 2 rounds is "typical Gomi" completely blew his wad trying to finish in round 3 and is gassed for the remainder of the fight.

both men are tough as nails.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 pm

UFC are pro knees to the head on the ground, and have been lobbying for their inclusion for a few years.

The only reason they were taken out was based on one fight one commissioner saw in I think New Jersey many years ago.

I'm for knees to the head on the ground, but there'd have to be strict rules and enforcement to make sure they didn't hit the back of the head of the opponent.

I always thought a compromise could be made where knees from sprawl should be allowed as long as they were no lower in angle then parallel with the floor. Coleman's knees against Fujita wouldn't be acceptable today imo. And I could live without knees to the head if the opponent is on his back instead of turtled / quarter position.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks V.Much for the Videos chesty, Going to watch it when I get a few mins free... KJ I didnt realise that, I remember Big John was asking for Knees to be included but didnt realise UFC wanted them. Id be happy to see them included and Soccerkicks and Stomps left out, Knees really add another aspect to the Groundgame and encourage action in certain positions that fighters currently stall to take breathers in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:29 pm