THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father Empty UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:45 pm

UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father Shane-carwin

The notion of "spare time" has always been a relative term for heavyweight contender Shane Carwin.

The 6-foot-2, 265-pound father of two juggles a fulltime job as a mechanical engineer at the North Weld County Water District in Lucerne, Colo., with another as a professional mixed martial artist in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Today, while discussing his interim title fight with fellow heavyweight Frank Mir at UFC 111, Carwin said he's been given time off from his day job to prepare for the March 27 fight. But he'll keep the office gig as long as possible or until other opportunities arise.

He likes juggling the two disparate careers.

"I take pride in when people ask me about the whole fighting thing." Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in an exclusive interview. "'Are you going to take time off? Are you going to quit your job?' I take pride in being a contributing member of society and going to work every day. It's something I love to do."

The biggest fight of Carwin's life is approaching, and he seems to be busier than ever. His calendar for Tuesday read something like this: work out, spar, and participate in the UFC conference call. Go to work for a few hours. Go to wrestling practice. Go home for a late dinner. Spend time with his family.

"Then I'll get up and do it again tomorrow," Carwin said. "That's just how my day is structured."

He said it's been this way since he began fighting professionally almost five years ago. There is little time to sit still, and none of it is spent without purpose.

In addition to his current duties, Carwin has a newborn daughter, Alexis, who is three weeks old tomorrow. His mother-in-law lives with the family and takes care of the baby in the wee hours to give him much-needed rest. But Carwin misses his daddy duties.

"In two weeks, I get to take over those responsibilities, and that's something I enjoy," he said. "I had the pleasure to stay up with her a couple nights. She's been a little fussy, and sitting in the rocking chair with her and falling asleep are things that I look forward to as well."

If healthy, the winner of Carwin vs. Mir will likely get a crack at heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 116 on July 3.

Although he's doing the work of two people, Carwin won't go so far as to agree with UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen's recent statements that most MMA fighters are lazy. He has, however, come to realize there will come a point in which it's too difficult to manage his hectic life.

But thankfully, because he has two incomes, his priority is less based in security than what he truly wants to do.

"It's always been something that my wife and I have communicated about, and fighting is something I've chosen to do because I love to do it, and it's something I find fun and competitive," Carwin said. "We always said it would never be for money. That's kind of the same path that we've taken.

"If it becomes stressful on me and it doesn't become fun, I'll move on. I'll find something else that I can do in my spare time. There's things that I want to do in engineering, so I think there's other opportunities out there for me, too."

Eventually, he wants to start a business in water management. He doesn't want to work for the city forever, and he doesn't want to fight into his 40s.

"Our company is on the cutting edge of technology in mapping and engineering and hydraulic models that we've developed with a minimal amount of people," Carwin said. "We've gone around to conferences, and people have been amazed about what we've been able to do as a small water district."

That's a ways down the road, though. Despite wall-to-wall days of activity, he's having fun. Really.

"I just feel really blessed," Carwin said. "The family's expanding, and that's a good thing. My family are going to be the ones that are around the rest of my life, and that's exciting to me."
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father Empty Re: UFC 111’s Shane Carwin juggles duties as fighter, engineer, husband and father

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

I cant wait for his fight at 111. He is 35 now so he only has a handfull of years left if he doesnt want to fight in his 40's.

Regardless of the result at 111, i think we have to see him fight Brock and Cain in his career.

I hear Nog is going to fight the looser of this fight, Carwin-Nog would be great. Although you would fear for Nog in the stand up.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 am