THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
MMA
redmeanie77
7 posters

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March Empty Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:15 am

While UFC president Dana White recently said the status of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar would be decided in the next four to six weeks, things are apparently progressing much faster.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that the UFC is targeting an interim heavyweight title matchup between top contender Shane Carwin and former UFC champion Frank Mir.

If both parties agree, the contest may take place at the increasingly attractive UFC 111 event on March 27 in Newark, N.J.

Carwin has been waiting patiently on the sidelines in recent months while current champion Brock Lesnar looks to rehabilitate from a case of diverticulitis as well as potential additional issues that the the champion and White have been reluctant to divulge.

While Carwin has waited through the cancellations of two different fight dates, when the potential of a matchup with Mir was brought up in recent days, he was quick to agree to the thought.

"Mir is a multiple-time champion who has been counted out more [than] Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top," Carwin wrote on his official website. "He is a legend of the sport, and I would be honored to fight him."

He may now get that chance.

Mir had recently found himself among the heavyweight division's second-tier of fighters, but an impressive win over French kickboxer Cheick Kongo left an impression in many fans' minds.

While Mir wasn't sure exactly what his status was following the win, the former champ admitted the pressure was on him to prove he belonged among the division's elite.

"I really felt that I had to come out there and decisively smash (Kongo) to make a statement," he said. "If I had of went out there and won a three-round decision against Cheick Kongo, I don't believe that would have elevated my status."

That status may now find him in an intriguing matchup for an interim belt and a date that both Carwin and Mir hope for: a future bout with Lesnar.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17229/shane-carwin-vs-frank-mir-in-the-works-for-interim-heavyweight-title-at-ufc-111-in-march.mma

Last edited by redmeanie77 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March Empty Re: Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March

Post  MMA Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 pm

UFC 111

GSP Vs Dan Hardy Official

It is rumored that Mir Vs Carwin COULD be fighting on this!

God I hope so would be a good Card!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March Empty Re: Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 pm

If they are going to make an Interim belt, should Mir-Carwin be title fight or Cain-Nog?

I think Mir-Carwin makes sense as Carwin was promised title shot and Mir is ranked higher than Nog...

But i wouldnt mind either way, the winners should fight each other, JDS will probably take step back and let Nog make one more run at the title.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Probably Mir vs Carwin considering Carwin was supposed to fight Lesner and Mir just fought him. Thats a really good fight but I think Mir would get a sub win.

JDS has already stated that he is letting Nog have the first go at the belt.
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  MMA Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Ive read some where that they are going to Make a 4 man tournament

Nog Vs Cain
    Mir Vs Carwin*

Winners meet each other for a shot @ interim title

Carwins situation may change this is dependant on the health of Lesnar
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 am

JDS has no business even mentioning his own name in talks about the title.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Why?

Werdum (top 5 at the time)
    Struve (fellow up and comer)
    Cro Cop (3rd best HW of all time)

Compared to Carwin

Gonzaga (notorious chocker and according to you an average fighter)

What do you have against Dos Santos?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Very harsh that on JDS.

Carwin was given a title shot after he beat Gonzaga, JDS has beaten Werdum, Struve , and Crocop. He has had more big wins and certainly should be mentioned in the same breath as title shot, if Cain and Carwin being mentioned.

edit- you got there before me Chelsea...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March Shane-carwin

Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March Frank-mir-7
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:00 pm

This is one of the most interesting UFC Hw bouts in a while. Mir has been pounded out before and Carwin is a monster, he really has blew threw everything put infront of him. Mir described him as a better Lesnar, he has scort of looked that way but without the big name wins! Great fight and the winner of that diserves a shot at Lesnar seeing as people want to see Lesnar vs Mir 3 and Carwin was already getting a Shot.

Nog can fight the looser of it if he beats Cain or maby the will give him an easier fight as they gave Mir a fight he was sure to win in Kongo? and Cain can fight JDS if he beats Nog? That makes the most sence to me.

I dont get the hate for JDS either, he is at least as promising as Cain for me. But has more big wins than Cain or Carwin under his belt.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 pm

this is going to be a great fight mir has more technical skills his striking and ground game are alot better but carwin has the raw power and is the much better wrestler cant pick a winner on this one depends how the fight goes really mir hasnt got the best chin has been stopped in all four of his fights with strikes and id be surprised if he could take carwins shots i see this staying on the feet for a bit and if carwin isnt getting the better of it he could go for the takedown but i dont no if he wants to fight on the ground but his strength could work to his advantage down there prob by pinning mir down and getting off some heavy shots but has to be careful as mir is very good off his back cant wait for this fight!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Real good Mir interview giving in-depth analysis of Kongo fight and talks about Carwin fight. Also he is not completely up his own ass here so its pretty cool to watch, he gives Kongo and especially Carwin tons of respect.

George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 pm

When Yvel KTFO of JDS his Title dreams will go up in smoke Cool

I like this fight and will safely say It doesn't go past the 1st Round.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:03 pm