THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Tut tut Shane Carwin

KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Tut tut Shane Carwin Empty Tut tut Shane Carwin

Post  KalDog Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Preview

(PicProps: Squabbles.com)

The name of former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin appeared on a list of 22 professional athletes federal prosecutors allege obtained steroids from a Mobile, Ala.-based pharmacy between 2004-06, according to an internet report published on Friday by the Mobile Press-Register newspaper.

Carwin was among seven athletes – including pro wrestlers Kurt Angle and “Hardcore” Bob Holly as well as four professional bodybuilders – named by Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins at the sentencing of Alabama pharmacist J. Michael Bennett. Bennett, one of five men recently found guilty of "participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids," was sentenced to four years in prison, according to the report.

Court records also referenced a half-dozen other bodybuilders, seven pro wrestlers and two professional baseball players by only their initials, according to the Press-Register.

Prosecutors referred to Bennett, a supervising pharmacist, and his co-defendants --  the owners of Mobile’s Applied Pharmacy Services and another anti-aging clinic owner -- as "drug dealers in lab coats" and court records said the men “shipped 762,388 dosages (of steroids) to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006.”

The four other men will be sentenced at a later date and U.S. District Judge Ginny Granade implied they could receive stiffer penalties than Bennett, the report said.

It is unknown if legal action will be pursued against any of the athletes named in the case.

From the Press-Register story:

“They contended that Bennett played a key role in an enterprise involving rogue doctors and health clinics across the country who used the compounding pharmacy to supply healthy adults with dangerous steroids.  Some of those substances were veterinary drugs approved only for use in livestock.

‘These are steroids for horses and cows, not for young people and humans,’ Assistant U.S. Attorney Dobbins said.”

(UPDATE: MMA Fighting.com reports Carwin's agent, Jason Genet, said his client "had no comment, but plans to make a statement at a later date
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Tut tut Shane Carwin Empty Re: Tut tut Shane Carwin

Post  KalDog Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Sorry, didn't embed a pic of Carwin.

Is anyone surprised at Carwin?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Cant say im shocked mate.

Will this have any implications on Carwins UFC career i wonder? Probably not...
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Itsan offence to buy shuffling that, he might get prosecuted.... Will have to wait and see I suppose
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:43 pm

We all know or atleast suspect that there is still a good amount of steriod abuse in MMA and even though the UFC are strict on there testing,there is still a time frame that helps you beat them,but to be fair,the UFC do,and have been seen to do alot for MMA,in cleaning it up the steriod issue aswell as many other issues that tarnish MMA.

For me if you pass the tests that the UFC put out there,then IMO,you are clean and innocent,no matter what they find about you in the past,now if you get caught during a UFC test,then I think they should throw the book at them and they should be banned world wide for a period of time(if only some of the other nations would be on board so that could work)

I'm waiting for this to become another thing for people to have a pop at the sport and UFC fighters in perticular.

I mean the fact that Carwin never fought in the UFC untill two years after,in 08,won't make a bit of differance to them will it.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:38 pm

I can't say I'm at all suprised by this. Not saying it's right but having a full time job, as I think he did, whilst trying to train MMA must make steroids an bit of an eye catcher.
    As Payne says, we all assume it goes on, but if he's clean now it shouldn't really be an issue?
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

In all fairness the UFC's current heavy weight champion gets irate whenever anyone mentions PEDs around him. It doesn't surprise me but having a history of drug taking and actually being busted post or pre-fight are two different things which is why I've never jumped up and down about Overeem as it's not illegal until he's caught doing it, the same with Coleman. Until a fighter is proved to have taken something in order to enhance his performance for a specific fight then I tend to ignore most speculation.

The one thing that I really respect the UFC for are supporting their own drug and blood tests and so far Lesnar and Carwin have never been busted for anything.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:59 am