THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
Hank Scorpio
MMA
Chimezero
toonswagger
Paddyjock
kinc1967
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
redmeanie77
Shanemc
pinsman
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Albion_Oakley
GWillz
rudeboyben84
29 posters

A Bit about you...

toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

A Bit about you... - Page 4 Empty Re: A Bit about you...

Post  toonswagger Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:30 pm

take it i've opened up pandoras box with that question then?
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Don't worry mate, Anfield's hatred of Bisping is legendary, but if you're a fan of his then that's cool, we all have our favourites and that's what makes for good banter!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 pm

toonswagger wrote:take it i've opened up pandoras box with that question then?

i trained with Bisping years ago at the Wolfslair and was disgusted by his arrogance and the way he treated the younger fighters at the gym. I've had a hatred for his since.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    toonswagger wrote:take it i've opened up pandoras box with that question then?

i trained with Bisping years ago at the Wolfslair and was disgusted by his arrogance and the way he treated the younger fighters at the gym. I've had a hatred for his since.

I never knew that mate!! All this time I thought the hatred was just based on his screen persona...

Tell us more stories from your sessions with him!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:30 pm

The first time I met him was pre TUF and I actually thought he was a decent guy. He was hungry to learn and while he didn't take part in the sessions I did, he may have been just competing in kickboxing at the time, he hung around and watched them and asked questions and seemed eager to learn. When I went back a couple of years later he'd won TUF and I was looking forward to meeting him again and was hopeful of working with him. It was one of the main reasons I agreed to go. When I got there I immediately noticed a massive change. He had no interest in learning to grapple. He'd decided that having won TUF with no grappling skills he therefore didn't need to learn. He was going to be a sprawl and brawl fighter. Funniest part was that I could have taught him some good ways to use Judo to avoid takedowns from wrestlers. But he didn't want to work with me. And that would have been fine, but he began to demand the attention of everyone. All the trainers were there just for him and all the other fighters were sparring partners and nothing more. Constantly I would be working with someone and they would be called away to spar with bisping. His attitude towards the younger fighters was shocking. He barely spoke to them, offered no advise to them and didn't work with them unless it was to his benefit. I was meant to stay for 2 weeks, I left after 1. I told people for years that he was a dickhead, not many believed me until his second appearance on TUF. Now most people agree that he's a dickhead.
    kinc1967
    kinc1967
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  kinc1967 Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Bisping comes across as a monumental bellend. He's also just a really average fighter, who - had he been born in America - wouldn't garner half the attention he enjoys presently. Wanderlei Silva ftw
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  MMA Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Name: Daniel

Nationality/Where you live: Welsh/Swansea

Martial Arts experience: 16 Years Kickboxing, 3 Months Jiu-Jitsu

Any Records/Achievements In Marital Arts: Welsh Champion Kickboxing, European Champion, WAKO English Champion, ISKA Welsh Open Champion, Welsh Team Champions, Game of fight Champion Holland. All the above is semi contact.
    Kickboxing record full contact 3-1

Weight class: 11 Stone, Light Weight.

Favorite MMA fighters Past/Present:
    Past: Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Igor Vovchynchan, Don Frye
    Present: Anderson Silva, GSP, Paul Daley, Jon Jones & Rampage

When did you get into MMA: About 1997ish

Fighters you met/Trained with: Never trained with any professional fighters. Have met GSP, Dan Hardy, Rolando Delgado. All of which were during and after UFC 105.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Ali, Calzaghe.

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? I Play football every week, Also weight lifting. Sporting heroes are Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Ivor AllChurch and Ian Rush!
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Howaya lads, haven't had a chance to post for sometime, the place looks great and has really grown. Great work to PJ and Ben.

Name: Dave

Nationality/Where you live: Irish /Dublin

Martial Arts experience: None unfortunately

Any Records/Achievements In Marital Arts: Would be in the Colosseum in the crowd screaming for blood rather than one of the "Those who are about to die, salut you" camp

Weight class: 12.5 stone

Favorite MMA fighters Past/Present:
    Past: Sakuraba, Igor, Fedor, Frye
    Present: GSP,Anderson Silva, Demian Maia, Matt hughes, Forrest, The Natural, The Iceman, Nate the great( Crying or Very sad)

When did you get into MMA: UFC 2 or 3 - Royce Gracie fought in it, saw a vhs of the first couple of UFC's, hooked ever since

Fighters you met/Trained with: None.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Just for memories of Friday fight nights with big screens would have to be collins, eubank and benn, also nas - put on a good show in fairness to the lad

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? Rugby - give me Paul O'Connell over Shaw any day Wink, Leinster - Brian O'Driscoll a focking legend. I love darts 2 - who isn't a fan of the champion of champions, that athlete of the 21st century Phil "The Power" Taylor Laughing - personal best out shot 158.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Welcome back Hank! Globex Corp been keeping you busy huh?
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Ye, been busy taking over the world Laughing .

Been looking for a job actually...nightmare
    toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  toonswagger Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:04 pm

fair play anfield. both times i've met Bisping it was in a fan situation and the 2nd i was getting some quotes for the uni paper so he was obviously try and going to put himself across as best he could. i was thinking about TUF and that in part it was maybe down to the editing of the show he came across like that. he was being broadcast as the bad guy because of the patriotism the yanks have for anything called Team USA. if you've met him in a situation like that though, you're going to get the un-airbrushed guy. hopefully the Hendo KO humbled him.he was plainy ignoring the shouts from his corner and bashing on with his own plan.

I can appreciate that he comes across as cocky and that rubs some people up the wrong way. Like he said in his column in the Telegraph though, does he really want to say that he's shitting himself and he's expecting to get KO'd. a huge part of the game is mental so if you dont't believe you can win then you'd never step in the cage
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Welcome Back Hank... though u had gone missing in action, we were about to send a search and rescue party after you! Very Happy
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey Ben, nah i'm around, pop in for a lurk every now and then but haven't had much chance to post...place looks great, lots of new peeps...lots of Bitchping hating going on still... Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Always keeping the hate for Bisping alive mate! Twisted Evil

Looking forward to UFC 110, 109 was a bit boring but seeing Wanderlei leave Bisping in a heap and a Crocop return to form would make my year in MMA!
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:03 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Always keeping the hate for Bisping alive mate! Twisted Evil

Looking forward to UFC 110, 109 was a bit boring but seeing Wanderlei leave Bisping in a heap and a Crocop return to form would make my year in MMA!

Ye very into 110, 109 was not great in the end. Very into seening Bitchping receive similar treatment from Wandi as Hendo. Also very into the main event, with NOG v Velasquez, no idea who to back for that one, i see paddypower has them very close

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/ufc-mma
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I like Nog to win it. Nog looks in the shape of his career, He has beat Barnett, Crocop, Couture, Sylvia, Sergi, Werdum, Rodriguez, Schilt, Herring, Hendo and Coleman...

Id say Cain doesnt bring anything to the table that he hasnt seen before, He has fought off his back against Powerfull Wrestlers before and if Cain wants to take him there hs is risking those legs coming up and him getting Triangled or Armbarred...

On the Feet I said before that I think both Nog Bros Boxing looks a lot better and they both look to have a lot more power on their punches... I think that Nog will do him in on the feet too.

Were Cain has the advantage is Speed, Cardio and Strength. Nog has the advantage is Chin, Groundgame, Standup, Expericence etc.. I think Nog is my pick for this though Cain is absolutly relentless, he wont give Nog room to breathe for a second, I think Cain will be winning the fight based on his workrate will he makes a mistake and gets tapped.
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:I like Nog to win it. Nog looks in the shape of his career, He has beat Barnett, Crocop, Couture, Sylvia, Sergi, Werdum, Rodriguez, Schilt, Herring, Hendo and Coleman...

Id say Cain doesnt bring anything to the table that he hasnt seen before, He has fought off his back against Powerfull Wrestlers before and if Cain wants to take him there hs is risking those legs coming up and him getting Triangled or Armbarred...

On the Feet I said before that I think both Nog Bros Boxing looks a lot better and they both look to have a lot more power on their punches... I think that Nog will do him in on the feet too.

Were Cain has the advantage is Speed, Cardio and Strength. Nog has the advantage is Chin, Groundgame, Standup, Expericence etc.. I think Nog is my pick for this though Cain is absolutly relentless, he wont give Nog room to breathe for a second, I think Cain will be winning the fight based on his workrate will he makes a mistake and gets tapped.

I'm not sure who I think will win but i'll be shoutin for NOG no doubt...Cain is a machine so I think NOG will need all those attributes you pointed out because FACT he'll be taken down... some interesting odds on that fight

Method of Victory

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by KO 13/2

Cain Velasquez by KO 11/4

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on Points 7/2

Cain Velasquez on Points 9/4

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by Submission 5/2

Cain Velasquez by Submission 14/1

Will the fight go the distance?
    Yes evens

No 8/11
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Name: I think I'll leave you lot to guess that one...

Nationality/Were you live: English/London

Martial Arts experience: Got tossed around in a Judo class by my cousin who has previously fought for GB, made even worse by the fact that she's a girl, so it was mostly just my pride that was damaged. I "ragdoll" for a friend so he can practice his BJJ and know from experience that a Brabo choke is thoroughly uncomfortable! I also train for boxing but have no intention of stepping into the ring as I like my nose the way it is!

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Getting my sides badly bruised through a kicking shield by my youngest brother, who happens to kick like a mule...

Weightclass:Moneyweight... because I'm big boned.

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: (takes a deep breath) Past fighters: Igor Vovchanchyn, Gary Goodridge ("Childs play! Woah!"), Mark Kerr, Kazushi Sakuraba (because I hate seeing him get torn up by younger fighters!), Ian Freeman (it makes me so happy watching him pulverise Frank Mir!), Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Enson Inoue, Jose Landi-Jons, Mark Coleman.

Present fighters: Fedor Emelianenko, Brad Pickett, Marius Zaromskis (from my Cage Rage days!), Paul Daley, Dan Hardy, Mirko Cro Cop, Josh Barnett (who is quite the character, performance enhancers or not), Wanderlei Silva, Dean Amasinger, Mayhem Miller, Melvin Manhoef, Anderson Silva, Shogun Rua, Cyborg Santos (both of them!), Mazakazu Imanari (I saw him make Jean Silva's knee wonky live!), Shinya Aoki, Krusher Kawajiri, Heesu Helling (if you've watched Pride, you know who I'm talking about!), JZ Calvacante, Kid Yamamoto, Zelg Galeisic, the list could go on and on but I wouldn't want to bore people. The main thing is that I like to be entertained, so crisp stand up, slugfests, submission battles, just no laying and praying and going for a judges nod! Just so long as a fighter is gracious in defeat and victory and puts on a performance I'm happy to support them.

Oh, and anyone who punches Frank Mir in the face.

and because he makes me laugh: Charles Bennett!

When did you get into MMA: After watching a VHS of UFC 3. I was fascinated by why Kimo Leopoldo was so excited when he'd lost to Royce Gracie but then Gracie couldn't continue through to the next round. I had to know more. Then a mate introduced me to PRIDE. I bought the 2000 Open Weight tournament and the 2005 middle weight tournament (in my opinion the best MMA collection money can buy), along with PRIDE 1-5 as well as a copy of Mecca Vale Tudo 1-9. He bought IVC 2-6, the heavy weight tournament and Bushido 1-5. We fell in love with the showmanship of PRIDE and the brutality of the Brazilian events. No other sport compares to MMA.

Fighters you met/Trained with: Dan Hardy (told him to beat Swick), Paul Daley (thanked him for winning me money by TKOing Kampmann), Dean Amasinger (I have a photo of him and me doing that amusing fighter pose as my phone screen saver), Brad Pickett (who was wandering around the stands after he'd defended his Ultimate Challenge feather weight title), and a whole heap of lesser known Ultimate Challenge fighters too. And if Ian Freeman turns up to SENI again this year I intend to say "hello" as he is a legend.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Ricky Hatton, Andre Ward, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis.

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? I'll watch most sports on the tv especially due to the recent acquisition of Virgin Cable! I follow American football, NCAA, NFL and the university league played in the UK as I used to be a lineman for the Leeds Celtics. I love combat sports, K1, MMA, muay thai, whatever the level. I recently fell in love with K1 Max after watching last years K1 Max tournament from start to finish which had an excellent selection of fights. Giorgio Petrosyan is incredible and I can't wait to watch him continue to get better.

My other dirty little secret is that I'm a fan of wrestling, I have an admiration for the athletes that take part in the sport and some of the acrobatics that they perform in order to put on a show, I'm a big Bret Hart and Sting fan and a fan of any of the lighter weight fighters that "fly" around the ring.

As for sporting heroes: Jon Pantsil and Roy Hodgson as I am a former Fulham season ticket holder. Pantsil's lap of honour after a home game applauding the fans is a thing of beauty and Roy has done amazing things for my team.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Tom Which came 1st the Shaprshooter or the Scorpian Deathlock....
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:47 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Tom Which came 1st the Shaprshooter or the Scorpian Deathlock....

Scorpion Deathlock came first as Sting started using it on a regular basis.

And if you are a wrestling nerd, I'd recommend reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling which is an awesome read which covers a whole host of old wrestlers from all over the world.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:51 pm

TomHughes1983 wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Tom Which came 1st the Shaprshooter or the Scorpian Deathlock....

Scorpion Deathlock came first as Sting started using it on a regular basis.

And if you are a wrestling nerd, I'd recommend reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling which is an awesome read which covers a whole host of old wrestlers from all over the world.

That is a great book. As are Mick Foley's book and Jericho's book.

Sting started using the move about six months before Bret Hart. If memory serves it was Konnan who showed Hart how to do it and then Bret tweeked it and made it look more realistic.

Ronnie Garvin invented the move as far as i can remember.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Random question Tom, but I've got a load of original WWF action figures from the early 90s, probably about 20-25 of them. Would that sort of thing be worth anything as a collectable nowadays? The boxes would have been discarded faster than one of the Hulkster's T-Shirts though so they're not in mint condition.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Cheers Anfield, can't get on the 'Bay at work so will have a gander at home later.....
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Name: Lee

Age 33 (34 in April)

Nationality/Where you live: English/Warrington

Martial Arts Experience: Green Belt Traditional Ju-Jitsu/ train Muay Thai 3 times a week did a bit of Jeet-Kun-Doh lone time ago. Started 3 yrs ago coz i was bored in the gym!!! Am i gona fight? No chance!!! My nose aint staight as it is!!!!

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Apart from green belt in ju-jitsu..none!!!

Weightclass:Light heavy coz of my belly!!! Dont drink or smoke..cant stop eating!!!!.

Favorite MMA fighers Past/Present: Thats easy Evan Tanner (RIP)..will explain later..

Present fighters: Vitor Belfor

When did you get into MMA: Watched UFC 50 or 51 Super saturday on Bravo a long time ago when they used to put them on the sunday after they were on in America...Vitor v Ortiz, Evan Tanner V David Terrel (this is why i liked Evan Tanner RIP). Went out and bought UFC 1-20 and a Pride heavyweight tounament (the one where fedor v nog and nog has his eyebrow split). Watched most of the ufc's ever since went 105, watch K1, might be goin Muay Thai premier league in the MEN in March. Basically wil watch anythin cept the god awful tag team mma (an affont to mma)

Fighters you met/Trained with: Bisping, Quinton Jackson, Rob Broughton, Sean Salmon, kongo, Tom Blackledge, Paul Kelly,

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Dont like Boxing...just dont know why..

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? I'll watch most sports on the tv..even darts!!!.

Thats it really..am married..have a 5yrd old girl to an ex..used to live in Croxteth Liverpool, am a Civil engineer on the railway..

Any questions?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:07 pm