THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
Hank Scorpio
MMA
Chimezero
toonswagger
Paddyjock
kinc1967
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
redmeanie77
Shanemc
pinsman
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Albion_Oakley
GWillz
rudeboyben84
29 posters

A Bit about you...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

A Bit about you... - Page 2 Empty Re: A Bit about you...

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Thats a Kebab Red! lol! The meat was flat with herbs and all, and you just popped them in a toastie machine to heat them... Deffo sounded like Harias... Maby it was specifically lebanese... doomed not to find this dish! Laughing Cheers for the Avatar help trawling for good Wandy HL'S now!

Payne great call on Hagler and Duran should have mentioned them! How do you think was best of the 4 Duran/SRL/Hagler/Hearns.... Hearns seems a little behind the others but the other 3 are so hard to split!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:Bruno was HUGE!!! just a shame he could never land a big hayemaker on Tyson. It didn't last long if I remember right!??!!
    I remember the second fight aswell, we all went round my mates house to watch it, he rang up sky box office to order it and we all just started singing BRUNO BRUNO BRUNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO down the phone....then he got absolutely battered-Good Times!!!

Aye I dont remember Bruno lasting long in either!! Think the 2nd fight was quicked! I wonder how he would have matched up with Bowe or Holyfield
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:15 pm

alrite since everyone else is Laughing

21 years old.

English.

grew up in Coventry and breifly in Mullingar, Ireland. Now residing in Birmingham.

my martial arts experience consists of getting a punchbag for xmas when i was like 9 or something. took up boxing at like 15, did it for about a year but found it a bit boring so quit.
    Took up Judo last year and loving it.
    Oh and of course back garden wrestling until i put my next door neighbour in hospital with a tombstone. Embarassed i felt guilty forever even though he was fine in the end, caus he was like 3 years younger than me!

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Yellow Belt in Judo.

Weightclass: not applicable because i never competed. but want to compete in judo one day could prbably be at -66kg if i stopped eating like a goose in the lead up to christmas.

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: CRRROOO-COP!!

second place is Takanori Gomi.

others include Fedor and Sakuraba.

slightly further down but still favourites are Frank Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Pat Miletich, Ken Shamrock, Matt Hughes, Minowaman, and a bunch of others i forget.

My first experience of mma was being a fan of Ken "Ken-Sham" Shamrock in the WWF, then i saw some old video tapes of Ken and Frank Shamrock in the UFC and i thought it was cool, but didnt really understand it so i got pretty bored with the ground game etc etc and stopped being interested pretty soon.

6 or so years (the dark years)passed.

Until some time in 2005 my friend showed me cool videos of Crocop which made me a fan of his.
    of course i started watching as much of his videos as i could and videos of his opponents etc etc learning about PRIDE fc. (it was weeks - ok maybe exagguration- before i stumbled across a Shammy vid from pride and it dawned on me that PRIDE was not an actual sport and was the same as the ultimate cage fighting!)

the first event i watched was Shockwave 2005, at which point i became a Gomi nuthugger for life Laughing.

Never met any notable mma fighter.

Favourite boxers? Nas and Lewis.

My other sporting heroes are this guy by far:

always try to be like him in football.

and my other one is of course Ryan Giggs.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:21 pm

There is a difference between Kebab and a Shawerma, im not too sure exactly what it is but there is Laughing . Shawerma is mainly Lebanese. I have never heard of Horias, but my friend is Lebanese and his dad owns a restaurant, so i will try to find out for you.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:27 pm

I would say technicly Suger was the best fighter,though Hagler was a wrecking machine and Duran was just the most durable fighter in history,the guy just never felt pain and just kept coming and coming.All completely differant styles of boxers but all legends in their own rights.For me without a doubt the best and most competitive era of boxers ever.Hearns was still a great but not quite on the level of the other three.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Name: Liam

Nationality/Were you live: Scottish, Edinburgh

Martial Arts experience: Student of Bas Rutten Street Defence

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: Anderson Silva, Mirko Cro Cop, The Nogueiras, Shogun, Vitor Belfort, Marius Zaromskis, Paul Daley, Kenny Florian, Bas Rutten, Kalib Starnes

When did you get into MMA: I watched a few early Ken Shamrock fights after seeing him in the WWF but never really got into it. After seeing Anderson Silva beat Rich Franklin at UFC64 I began to take a proper interest.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Calzaghe, Lewis, Jones Jnr, Ali, Foreman, Hopkins, Toney, Apollo Creed

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? I play football twice a week and (try to) go to the gym three times. I support Manchester United and also the mighty Queen of the South.

Last edited by Moose Stuff For Money... on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

would not want to get into a bar fight with you then, holy shit! Laughing

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Manchesthair

"grew up in Coventry and breifly in Mullingar, Ireland. Now residing in Birmingham."

You a Cov lad mate!!! where abouts you grow up? I'm in brum now unfortunantly!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 am

pinsman wrote:Manchesthair

"grew up in Coventry and breifly in Mullingar, Ireland. Now residing in Birmingham."

You a Cov lad mate!!! where abouts you grow up? I'm in brum now unfortunantly!

Born in Radford, but most of my youth was in Earlsdon. What about you?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 am

I grew up in Wyken now in shard end in brum, go up Earlsdon highstreet quite abit still though good crack!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:

grew up in Coventry and breifly in Mullingar, Ireland. Now residing in Birmingham.

Took up Judo last year and loving it.

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Yellow Belt in Judo.

Weightclass: not applicable because i never competed. but want to compete in judo one day could prbably be at -66kg if i stopped eating like a goose in the lead up to christmas.

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: CRRROOO-COP!!

Favourite boxers? Nas and Lewis.

My other sporting heroes are this guy by far:

I'll do mine tomorrow but i had to comment on the video and a few other bits:

From the bottom up:

Ronaldo was incredible in his day. If he'd had the body to match the talent he could have been the best ever. Great career but wrecked by injuries.

Big boo for Naz and Lewis.

HUGE CHEER for MIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO-CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Crazy screaming Japanese lady!

Delighted to see a young Judoka with hopes of competing! Ever want any tips just ask.

Mullingar?????? What a fucking toilet!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 am

Name: George

Nationality/Were you live: English, born in Yorkshire, now living in Hertfordshire

Martial Arts experience: Quite little, did 6 or 7 years of Kyokushin karate at a young age, got fairly good but quit. Possibly one of the greatest regrets of my life so far. Tempted to get going again after watching my Kyokushin brethren GSP fighting. Most recent experience is having a mini scuffle with a mate, taking him down and getting a triangle sub. Pick up a lot from watching!

Weightclass: 6 2", just over 95 kg.

Favorite MMA fighters Past/Present: Henderson, Wandy, Fedor, Couture, GSP, the usual really.

When did you get into MMA: Well I have very faint memories of discovering some Hong Man Choi and Butterbean fighters when I was little on some cable channel! Since then, I really got into MMA watching TUF 3, and Bisping (shame I dislike him so much now), TUF 9 turned me into a fanatic. I suppose I just like seeing the British lads whipping yanks!

Fighters you met/Trained with: Absolutely nout!

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Got to be Ali for past, Manny and Mayweather for present.

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? Football, i'm a Watford fan, I know sad stuff Smile Luther Blissett genius forward. Play a lot of Rugby, icon is Simon Shaw for being the most badass lock in the world!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

Bakkis Botha would have something to say about that hendo!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

Ye Rudeboy I did mean Wlad, Vitalli is the better boxer but I just like Wlad more for some reason. Red has got the arabic food thing sorted I think. My Arabic itself is ok, I still can't pronouce some words right. If your ever in the neighbour hood, be sure to tell me though Cool

Bakkis Botha would have something to say about that hendo!

Or Martin Johnson for that matter
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Name: Pete

Nationality/Were you live: Norwegian by birth (dual nationality, British) - Brought up in Newcastle, moved about a bit, lived in Edinburgh for 14years and now back in Newcastle)

Martial Arts experience: Judo (on and off for about 30yrs, although haven't studied for last 6years), some MMA sparring and currently looking to take up BJJ.

Weightclass: Currently about 200lbs, although wanting to get back to 180ish.

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: Fedor, Matt Hughes (style not personality), Royce Gracie, Cain Velasquez, GSP, Chuck, Faber, Miguel Torres, Aoki.

When did you get into MMA: Remember watching some Vale Tudo fights, back in about 94ish, then UFC (I think I saw 2 and 3 before I saw 1), remember the Ettish/Rhodes match vividly for some reason. Didn't watch it for a while, until I saw a DVD of UFC33, then got into PRIDE and some of Japanese events.

Fighters you met/Trained with: None. Although I did get beat (by some distance) by Kris Akabusi over 400m when I was in the Army.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, SRL, Hagler, Hearnes, LaMotta, Hatton, PacMan, Chavez. Currently, there's only reall Floyd Mayweather, Manny and David Hayes that I'd make an effort to watch.

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? Lots. Football (NUFC, Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, Peter Withe, Alan Shoulder), Rugby League (Wigan, Ellery Hanley, Martin Offiah, Justin Robinson, Kris Radlinski, Shaun Edwards), Darts, Athletics, Rugby Union (Falcons), Basketball (Lakers, Karim, Magic, Shaq, Kobe), NFL (Vikings).

Will watch any sports, apart from Bowls, Curling and Snooker.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Name: Ade

Nationality/Were you live: English born & bred, but if I had the financial freedom I would be in Germany

Martial Arts experience: Started Thai when I was 30 (1st born on the way, panic that it 'youth' was gonna go missing), still goin but since 4th born turned up only on my own in my garage!

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: 7 fights, 4W 1D 2L - technically proficient but poor stamina

Size/weight: Fought at 76kg, still reckon a weight below where i shouda been, 6'2" and about 90kg nowadays

Fav MMA fighters: No-one in particular, but I like fighters that fight, fighters that will feel proud of themselves in the morning, fighters that know winning isnt everything. I can appreciate the skills of a hit & run (Machida etc) fighter, but when they look into their heart in the morning they know deep down they havent made a mark in history, I like fighters that make that mark.

NB. post edit: just watched that fat fuck video 'smothering' mcsweeney, exactly my point, that aint a fighter, he may of won but his mark in history is that anyone who watched that will think he is a cunt

NB. 2nd post edit: gave this some thought last nite, and the one fighter I always wanna win coz of the way he fights is Jerome le Banner, followed by Chuck.

When did you get into MMA: Newton v Hughes

Fighters you met: Dont think he will count but my first interclub was ref'd by the mega famous Alex Reid

Fav boxers: Nigel Benn, Mike Tyson

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes: Stan Collymore, Phil Taylor

Last edited by Bulldog67 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Super Stan Collymoore

Best striker I've ever seen play for Forest.

Should of gone on to be one of Englands finest,a real waste of a great talent.

Surprised you don't like the Idea of seeing a woman take a punch in womens MMA but Stan Collymoore is your Hero Twisted Evil Laughing
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:26 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Super Stan Collymoore

Best striker I've ever seen play for Forest.

Should of gone on to be one of Englands finest,a real waste of a great talent.

Surprised you don't like the Idea of seeing a woman take a punch in womens MMA but Stan Collymoore is your Hero Twisted Evil Laughing

yeah u got me there Very Happy

as a human a tossbag, but as a football player a gift from above

also forgot to mention, fighters that are drug cheats - tossers
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 am

rudeboy to reply about how my fights finish 2 ko's and 2 tko's im actually fighting again in april cannot believe so soon.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 am

Name: Bill

Nationality/Where I Live: Kiwi - born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand

Martial Arts Experience: Nothing other than a single TKD class years ago which was very disappointing

Martial Arts Achievements: My greatest feat of self defence was to get 2 big drunk Maoris to fight each other for $10 rather than beat me up for it.

Size/Weight: 172cms 73kgs

Favourite MMA Fighters: Fedor, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Machida. Either the very skilled or the slightly insane fighters in general.

When did I get into MMA: I came from a different angle than everyone else. I got into it by watching Bruce Lee movies and reading his fighting philosophies. I had always believed his point that no single traditional martial art has all the answers and it wasn't until I started following MMA a few years ago that I truly understood his point of view. TUF 1 and Randy vs Sylvia were what turned me into a huge MMA fan, even though I had previously watched the odd Pride and K-1 event.

Fighters I have met: None although I have been yelled at over the phone by Mark Hunt and by sheer luck, got to see a very relaxed training/sparring session by David Tua and the Sefo bros.

Favourite boxers: Mike Tyson before he totally lost his mind and David Tua

Other sports and sporting heroes: Huge football fan and still play as much as possible. Love Liverpool FC and my fave all time player is John Barnes. Another hero would be Michael Jones, ex-All Black flanker. He had it all in his prime.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:03 pm

"my fave all time player is John Barnes"

Also a quality actor and the only man alive able to volley a Lucozade sport can into a metal bin after 90 mins of sheer hell, without so much as denting it cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:24 am

Name: Dave

Nationality/Were you live: Irish/South England

Martial Arts experience: 31 years ago i was brought to a local Karate club by my father and I've been doing Martial Arts ever since. Progressed through Karate, on to TKD and then discovered Judo. Have been a Judoka for over 20 years and grappled with many of the best Judoka of my generation as well as other high level grapplers. Have also trained extensively in Krav Maga and some other training in different martial arts of the years. For years i've been lucky enough to train all over the world, in many of the top gyms around and with a lot of the top fighters. Can't do as much these days due to injuries and kids but i'm hoping to be going to train at ATT at some point this year and will also be paying a visit to 10th Planet JJ in LA to train with Eddie Bravo. While i'm there i'm trying to organize a session with Roy Elghanayan who has created Israeli Jiu-Jitsu from the basics of Krav Maga. I met Roy years ago when he was in the Israeli army and i got to train with them a couple of times. Insane stuff. Those lads really go at each other. I have been working on my own system of MMA for a number of years. It's a long term project. I would eventually like to open my own facility and teach what i know. I would also like to try and create my own brand of Judo, in the same way that Eddie Bravo has created his own brand of BJJ based around the rubber guard and the twister. Not quite sure how i'm going to manage that but some day hopefully it'll come to me.

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Black belt in Karate, Black belt in TKD. I would class these as having black belts, rather than being a black belt. But i'm a 4th Dan black belt from the Kodokan Judo Institute in Tokyo. I've never really been one for competing, i've always prepared to train others than to fight myself but i did once grapple with Murilo Bustamante for 20 minutes and not get tapped. Also managed to last 10 minutes against Mario Sperry without getting tapped on the same day. I nearly caught Sperry with a heel hook after about a minute which would have been incredible. But he wiggled his way out of it. Then i spent the rest of the time trying to avoid getting caught. I did grapple with him a couple more times during my stay and gave him a bit of a schooling in Judo on one occasion which was nice.

Weightclass: When i was fit and able to cut weight properly i could weigh anywhere from WW to LHW. I still can but it's an awful lot of effort. I haven't been under 178 in a long time but i could make it to 170 if i really tried.

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: Favourite fighter at the minute is Machida. Just love his style and the way he blends so many different martial arts to mesh with his Karate. CroCop was my favourite fighter during Pride. My favourite fighter of all time is Frank Shamrock. Big Gina Carano fan as well. Although that has little to do with her fighting skills!

When did you get into MMA: I can't remember which UFC it was exactly. I think it was 6 or 7. I know Ken Shamrock fought and i know he retained his title but it's so long ago i can't remember if he choked out Severn or had a long draw with Oleg. I must watch the events again. If i see them i'll prob remember. I was in America and saw it on tv and was hooked immediately.

Fighters you met/Trained with: Too many to list.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Roy Jones. Incredible in his prime. Pac-Man now i suppose. or Floyd. I don't watch a lot of boxing anymore.

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? As a Liverpool fan Shanks and Paisley are heroes of mine. As is Tommy Smith. In Judo terms Hitoshi Saito is one of the greatest ever and someone i've had to honour of getting ragdolled by. Toshiro Daigo is the man though. Head instructor at the Kodokan, he presented me with my initial black belt and every belt since. He's a 10th Dan and known as Mr. Kodokan. The level of respect that people have for him is something i've never seen before. Well deserved though.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:36 am

Nice resume Anfield (or should I call you Dave?). One question though - if you never really fought and preferred to train others then why were you ever cutting weight? I guess you must have done some competitions right?

Great story about Bustamante, always one of my favourite fighters. Must have been an honour to hang with him for a while.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Name: See User name (first name) times by X then add an T and take away a G and flim flam....

Nationality/Were you live: British

Martial Arts experience: Boxed as kid did a little Jiu Jitsu but stopped years ago due to bum knees

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: King of the streets...bitch

Weightclass: I'm a slender-ish 14/5 stone

Favorite MMA figers Past/Present: Past: Sexyama/ king

When did you get into MMA: Borrowed Pride 5 off a mate on vhs

Fighters you met/Trained with: I know a few local boxers nothing special

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Gatti, Ward, Benn, Eubank & ect

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? The Iron Sheik that man is fucking hilarious
    kinc1967
    kinc1967
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  kinc1967 Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Name: Michael

Nationality/Live: Irish/Newry

Martial Arts Experience: I did Karate when i was 7 or 8, but gave it up, mainly because kids are flaky and wanna do something else. However i've always maintained a strong interest in combat sports right throughout my life, and just last month i took up BJJ with a reputable instructor not far from where i live. It was my initial intention to start Judo, but there weren't an adult classes near me, so i thought i'd give BJJ a whirl. I love the submission artists in MMA, and knew i'd probably fall in love with BJJ. I was right, it's awesome.

Favourite Fighters: Since i first clapped eyes on Adnerson Silva there has burned a deep platonic love for who no other could match hahaha. Nah just messing, but yeah, Silva's all that. It's been said before, but the guy is just a beast. A supremely skilled, accurate and deadly beast.

When Did You Get Into MMA?: I remember watching a DVD of all the early UFC events around 8 years ago, and that's my earliest introduction to the UFC. I watched the first TUF, and remember Bravo screening old events with Chuck featuring heavily. Loved that guy too! I don't think i would class myself as a hardcore fan by any means, but i do keep abreast of what's going on and i'm happy with that.

Favourite Boxer: I used to love watching Prince Naseem take the proverbial out of the sorry sacks they put in front of him. Fast and nimble and always one for a show, i used to love watstching his fights. Not mad keen on the boxing these days, but i'll watch all the big scraps. Hope the proposed showdown between Mayweather/Pacman gets the go ahead, cos that would be brilliant.

Other Sporting Heroes: Henrik Larsson.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:43 pm