THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
Hank Scorpio
MMA
Chimezero
toonswagger
Paddyjock
kinc1967
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
redmeanie77
Shanemc
pinsman
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Albion_Oakley
GWillz
rudeboyben84
29 posters

A Bit about you...

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

A Bit about you... - Page 3 Empty Re: A Bit about you...

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Welcome to the armbar Kinc!!!!

there has been a few people joining recently its a shame they missed the start of the prediction tournament.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Ginginho wrote:Name: Bill

Nationality/Where I Live: Kiwi - born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand

Martial Arts Experience: Nothing other than a single TKD class years ago which was very disappointing

Martial Arts Achievements: My greatest feat of self defence was to get 2 big drunk Maoris to fight each other for $10 rather than beat me up for it.

Size/Weight: 172cms 73kgs

Favourite MMA Fighters: Fedor, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Machida. Either the very skilled or the slightly insane fighters in general.

When did I get into MMA: I came from a different angle than everyone else. I got into it by watching Bruce Lee movies and reading his fighting philosophies. I had always believed his point that no single traditional martial art has all the answers and it wasn't until I started following MMA a few years ago that I truly understood his point of view. TUF 1 and Randy vs Sylvia were what turned me into a huge MMA fan, even though I had previously watched the odd Pride and K-1 event.

Fighters I have met: None although I have been yelled at over the phone by Mark Hunt and by sheer luck, got to see a very relaxed training/sparring session by David Tua and the Sefo bros.

Favourite boxers: Mike Tyson before he totally lost his mind and David Tua

Other sports and sporting heroes: Huge football fan and still play as much as possible. Love Liverpool FC and my fave all time player is John Barnes. Another hero would be Michael Jones, ex-All Black flanker. He had it all in his prime.

Good shout on Barnes, Watford legend!
    kinc1967
    kinc1967
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  kinc1967 Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Cheers man
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:Nice resume Anfield (or should I call you Dave?). One question though - if you never really fought and preferred to train others then why were you ever cutting weight? I guess you must have done some competitions right?

Great story about Bustamante, always one of my favourite fighters. Must have been an honour to hang with him for a while.

Yeah mate he was so knowledgeable. And a real gentleman.

I did some competitions years back but my main reason for moving wight was because I used to pimp myself out as a training partner for hire. So if someone was fighting a judoka of a high level I'd spar with them. Being able to go at different weights allowed me to get more work. I used to stay around MW and then get about 3 weeks notice before I was needed so I could add weight or lose it. I also used to do some work training with national judo teams in the run up to major events and I might be needed to help work with guys of different sizes. I became quite adept at mimicking other peoples styles so I needed to be able to shift weight to mimick properly.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

You ever been involved in the olyimpic scene anfield?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm

I worked with the german national team in the run up to the athens and beijing games mate. For 3 months in the run up to both games I lived with the team and helped get them ready. Hoping to get a call for the next games. Just need to make sure I'm in good shape.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Thats cool man, I did watch some of the Judo at the last Olyimpics, did your team manage any medals? You've got a hell of alot of expirence in youur field by the sound of it!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 am

In Athens, only one of the guys won a medal, Michael Jurack won Bronze in the mens 100kg. The women did win 3 medals. 2 Bronze and a gold. I didn't work with them though.

In 2008 Ole Bischof won gold in the 81kg which was amazing. I've honestly never seen anyone work as hard. It was especially cool for me because i worked with him quite a lot. I got working with the national team in the first place because i met his mentor Frank Wieneke in Japan back in 1999 and he got me the position with the Olympic team.

Germany should have an amazing Judo squad, there's so much talent in that country, especially the east of the country. But there's too much politics and bullshit that goes on as.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:55 am

Name: Ben (Paddyjock) - founder of the Armbar

Nationality Irish but I have lived in and around Edinburgh for the last 11 years

Martial Arts experience: None. Done a little bit of BJJ and Krav Maga at my local gym but I would still say none as I haven't done it to any level

Any Records/Achievments Once disamred a gut who pulled a knife on me in Glasgow but hey thats just Glasgow.....

Weightclass: I work out a lot at the minute so have gone from a Heavyweight to a LHW but would probably fight at Welterweight.

Favorite MMA fighters Past/Present: Records don't mean shit to me. I like what I like and I like what I see. Been watching this for a long time and I'm really a PRIDE fan. Wanderlai and Rampage, Nog and Fedor are absolute legends. No one has come close in the UFC. Anderson Silva is good but I think he hasn't faced the calibre of a PRIDE tournament. Love fighters that come to fight so will always support Jardine, Guida, Rich etc. Don't really have a favourite but I do enjoy seeing someone display skill. Love Marquart but was happy to see Sonnen get the decision (even though I hate him) as he totally out fought him.

When did you get into MMA: I fought my way out of the womb and snaped on a heel hook on my mother

Fighters you met/Trained with: Never trained with anyone but I've met loads of fighters and had really good conversations with them. All of the fighters I'm about to list were perfect gentlemen and really nice about seaking to fans. I've not found this in other sports. Dana White, Lorenzo Ferttta, Bruce Buffer, Dan Mirgliotta, Overeem, Couture, Rampage, Bisping, Ospikszak (sp), Pearson, Winner, Riddle, Hathaway (my tip for the next big thing), Davis, Semmy Shilt, Adriani, Logan (see pictures on site) Joe Rogan (actually went drinking with him and he is mental) Dean Amisinger (TUF 9) (shook his hand for beating Jordan's Twat and he said I wasn't the 1st), Congo and Vera.

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Eubank, Benn, Alex Artur, Collins, McCoullough

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? Henrik Larrson, Lubo Moracik, Darren Clarke

Long live the Armbar and God love you all for supporting it!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 am

Paddyjock wrote:

Any Records/Achievments Once disamred a gut who pulled a knife on me in Glasgow but hey thats just Glasgow.....!

Maybe he was going to pull out an apple and then offer you a slice?!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 am

Nice one anfield, it's wicked to be apart of something like that, and nice to see hard work producing results!

Take it u'll be getting involved in 2012?
    toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  toonswagger Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

name - Ian

age - 22

nationality/location - scottish/dunfermline(hometown) & aberdeen(student at aberdeen uni)

Past Experience - started doing karate at 9 after seeing the karate kid on tv. did that until 14 but gave up as i was playing basketball and running the 400m for scotland at junior international level and felt i was better at them so wanted to put more effort into that rather than training in 6 different things and being average at all and not great or good at a few. did achieve a purple and white belt though! been watching the UFC since UFC63 and over the past couple years been trying to watch as much Pride as possible to catch up on that. had always been a boxing fan so when i started uni i knew i had a pretty strong level of fitness and started going to the uni club. the guy that came in to take the circut training was heavily into MMA and started showing how much more there was outside of the UFC and since then i've been getting into Muay Thai and BJJ and also a class geared toward MMA rather than specifically at something traditional.

Favourite Fighters - GSP and Shogun are the top two. the way they move is so fluid and dynamic and GSP from an athletic point of view is unreal. i always use him as an example when i'm coaching football as someone who doesn't just focus on his strengths, is always trying to improve every aspect of himself as a fighter and a person. After watching the pride middleweight grand prix i was in awe of Shogun.
    Got a soft spot for the guys who launched the sport like Chuck, the day i was sat at my mates watching Entourage and he ws on it was quality, nobody else could understand how just seeing someone guest star caould generate the excitement i did but that what i love about MMA - almost every aspect is exciting.
    Despite what a lot of people say i am a huge fan of TUF. you get a etter insiht into the fighters nd when you see these guys actually graduate into the big show you tend to feel stronger about their fights one way or another. it's because of TUF that i rate amir sadollah as one of my favourite fighters and still can't feel for Rashad Evans.

Fighters Met - before i launch into the fighters my favourite moment at a live UFC event was in Dublin - i got a kiss on the cheek from arianny! met Rich and Dana in Dublin. In Cologne i was with Germans i knew from uni who didnt want to hang around after so gutted i never got to meet Wandi but met Bisping a few times and he seems like a quality guy, always has time for you and the second time we met he remembered me and we finished out Street Fighter 2 conversation from the 1st time

Other Sports - Football, Basketball, Athletics and F1
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:17 pm

"met Bisping a few times and he seems like a quality guy"

Welcome to the forum Ian, be wary of the backlash the above comment might lead to!! Very Happy

I love that you were inspired by Daniel Laruso and Cobra-kai, that's awesome!! I wonder how many kids in the 80s saw that movie and went into martial arts because of it? They don't make them like that any more.....
    toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  toonswagger Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:27 pm

cheers Paolo. it was on one saturday and the class was on a tuesday night. the instructor did ask how many of the 13 or so new people turning up had watched the film that weekend! must have been a massive amount in the 80s though! this was 1996 and another 'massive' series of martial arts films out at the time was The Three Ninjas series. 3 american brothers with a japanese grandfather. think there were about 4 in the series, the last one even introduced Hulk Hogan into the mix!
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Name: Ryan

Nationality scottish, based in glasgow

Martial Arts experience: none

Weightclass: no idea

Favorite MMA fighters Past/Present: Randy for just being a legend, Bj Penn for his current domination and that rear naked choked he applied to matt hughes, anderson silva his knock out franklin was just awsome i like rich but silva striking was on another planet, just started watching pride over the past few months so starting appreciate wandy, big nog, fedor, ramapage is always good fun and off course sakauraba - loved the intro where came in dressed as super mario (think it was ther fight against lil nog)

When did you get into MMA: A year ago I watched UFC 95 and was really impressed, decided to buy UFC 1 & 2 just to see how brutal it was but was really impressed by the skill and respect the fighters had. since the i woked my wasy thru almost every UFC up to around 75 then discovered pride. just watched critical countdown 2004 how did fedor not get knocked out? and cro-cop getting hammered of randleman at the total elim04, didnt see that coming

Fighters you met/Trained with: none, yet to attend a UFC event

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: manny, roy jones jr

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? football - im a dunfermline athletic fan
    also love baseball, mainly watching the philadelphia philles
    toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  toonswagger Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

nice one ryan. good to see the pars represented. must have been hard living in glasgow after last sunday! i found it hard in aberdeen due to the amount of celtic fans up here
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Interesting you're a Phillie's fan Ryan, I used to follow them in the Curt Schilling years when my missus lived in Philly, does he still play?

Philly's a great town cheers

Welcome to our community!
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey

Its celtic central in my office but thankfully the pars put in a mighty performance on sunday so its been alright

yeah phills a great place spent the summer there few years ago managed to make it to citizen bank for a game aswell cant wait to go back

dont belive that Curt Schilling is playing any more wasnt in the rotation for the world series
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Schilling went from the Phillies to the Arizona Diamondbacks about 10 years ago and helped them win their first and only world series, then he went to the Red Sox in 03 and helped them win 2 world series. He retired a few months ago. I expect he'll end up in the Hall of Fame. I love American sports. In baseball i'm a Tampa Rays fan. Have been for years. Through all the years of shit. Should have resulted in a world series but we were denied by the Phils. Also like hockey, Basketball and American Football!

Welcome to the site Toon and Chime, make sure you stick around!

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

pinsman wrote:Nice one anfield, it's wicked to be apart of something like that, and nice to see hard work producing results!

Take it u'll be getting involved in 2012?

Hoping so mate. Unlikely to be with the germans this time around though. I've got two people making enquiries for me with a couple of others. I'm getting my hip fixed in a few weeks so i'll have some time off the mats but going to work on core strength in that time and start getting myself in top shape. Have a few other little niggles that may need minor surgery so might get them done over the next 6 months and then give myself a good 9 months or so to get ready. Really have to be in top shape going into an olympic training camp. Even more so than the actual competitors themselves, Because i'll be training 6-8 hours a day in the camp and have to be at peak performance for as much of it as possible. The olympians are aiming to peak after the camp.

as for:
    "met Bisping a few times and he seems like a quality guy"

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

No! Just no!
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:05 pm

"Schilling went from the Phillies to the Arizona Diamondbacks about 10 years ago"

Ha Ha!! I've clearly got my finger firmly on the pulse of the MLB scene Shocked
    I was there in the late 90s when I think Randy Johnson was the star pitcher in Arizona?

Used to love my American sports back when Channel 5 were screening them in the middle of the night during my insomnia years, but now that ESPN have it all I'm sleeping like the dead and missing everything!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:"Schilling went from the Phillies to the Arizona Diamondbacks about 10 years ago"

Ha Ha!! I've clearly got my finger firmly on the pulse of the MLB scene Shocked
    I was there in the late 90s when I think Randy Johnson was the star pitcher in Arizona?

Used to love my American sports back when Channel 5 were screening them in the middle of the night during my insomnia years, but now that ESPN have it all I'm sleeping like the dead and missing everything!

Yeah Schilling joined Johnson and the two of them were incredible. Won Co-MVP of the World Series. Then the Diamondbacks realized they couldn't afford to keep both of them anymore and traded then both. Schilling to the Red Sox, Johnson to the Yankees. Got lots of young talent and draft picks in the trades and have now an excellent young team.

I have a friend in the states who's just a sports nut, and he does the american equivalent of Sky+ and records every game that's being shown on TV each night, Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and Football and then he emails me a list the next morning and i tell him what games i want and he uploads them on to a tracker site so i just download, watch and delete. It's pretty cool.
    toonswagger
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  toonswagger Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:18 pm

i genuinely liked Bisping and i quite enjoyed watching him on TUF on boh season 3 and season 10 and was pretty gutted when he got brutaly ko'd by Hendo. what've people on here got against him?
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Uh-Oh... wait for it......... Twisted Evil
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm

toonswagger wrote:i genuinely liked Bisping and i quite enjoyed watching him on TUF on boh season 3 and season 10 and was pretty gutted when he got brutaly ko'd by Hendo. what've people on here got against him?

1. He's a complete and utter DICKHEAD
    2. He's the most over-rated fighter in the UFC
    3. He's been handed can after can after can to pad his record and make him seem like a legit top fighter
    4. He's a complete and utter DICKHEAD
    5. Any time he's fought a decent fighter he's lost.
    6. His arrogance and smugness is just mind blowing.
    7. He's got no respect for far better and far greater fighters than him, Hendo, Wandi.
    8. He's a complete and utter DICKHEAD
    9. He thinks he's a great fighter with knock-out power despite not having knocked out anyone but two bums at the start of his career.
    10. Did i mention that he's a complete and utter DICKHEAD?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:01 pm