THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
Hank Scorpio
MMA
Chimezero
toonswagger
Paddyjock
kinc1967
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
redmeanie77
Shanemc
pinsman
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Albion_Oakley
GWillz
rudeboyben84
29 posters

A Bit about you...

hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

A Bit about you... - Page 6 Empty Re: A Bit about you...

Post  hendos_right_hook Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 pm

pinsman wrote:I'm Second row in union and Front row in league, and cheers Anfield it's been tough since we dropped out the Prem... Must say I prob enjoy playing and watching Rugby more than football but thats just a personal preference.

A fellow forward! I've done my stint in every forward position, although loose head is my spiritual home Very Happy

I can't say i've ever played league, although I toured Australia in the summer, and got quite into NRL over there. I consider myself a fan of the Gold Coast Titans now.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 am

I consider myself to be a fit forward, and to play league you gota be mega fit man!! I always used to dis League saying it was the poor mans rugby, but I got asked if I could sub for a game and ended up starting, was the hardest game of rugby i've ever played in!! Have to get back ten every tackle and also as a forward make a hell of alot of attacking runs is seriously hard work!! If anyone wants conditioning training go play for your local league team!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat May 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Bump for the newbies. Some very interesting folk on here. I would love to meet a good few blokes on here especially Payne, Anfield and Axe Cool
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Lads has the Armbar's facebook page been deleted?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Lads has the Armbar's facebook page been deleted?

Nope... https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=458849955036
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri May 20, 2011 5:22 pm

I haven't deleted it and I made it, but don't think many people really use it?
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sun May 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Just an addition for me, entered my first BJJ competition yesterday! Went 2-1 winning the masters SHW gold in the process. Awesome experience not just competing but supporting my team mates and seeing the different styles of BJJ from different schools. Anyone else here train BJJ?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Congrats Albion mate! Gi or No Gi?
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sun May 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Gi mate, I haven't looked back since I got my gi. This was the first competetive sport I have done since school and it felt awesome!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 pm

That's awesome mate! Obviously in my opinion you chose the wrong sport, but still! haha!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Haha yeah the truth is I could probaby do with some judo fundamentals as all I did from standing was avoid the dudes attempts to throw me and pull guard
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 am

From what I remember you saying, you're pretty big and strong aren't you?

O-Soto-Gari and Ko-Soto-Gake would probably be the two best Judo techniques for you as they are relatively easy to learn and can be well disguised. .

I'm terrible at describing things, I really have show people what I mean but have a look at these two videos. Sorry about the guy's really annoying accent but he is the best I could find and to be fair, he executes perfectly.

First, O-Soto-Gari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgjfBnTMn1c

This one is ideal for you because you'll have leverage and downward force on a lot of people so when you take your step to break their centre of gravity you'll have the power to do it. And as you can see once the hit the mat, you still have their arm, and it's the easiest armbar you'll ever get. If you don't want the armbar, you can just drop into side control. On this one, I pull a guy towards me and just explode to their right, pull their weight off centre and then bring my right leg around and back between their legs. Or, if they still have both feet on the ground you can bring your leg around both of theirs if you're looking to hit the mat with them and land in side control rather than remaining standing(don't let a Judo instructor see you sweeping both legs with this technique though, they will have a tantrum!).

This one is Ko-Soto-Gake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OeH_GbmEq0&feature=related

This trip will give you side control almost every time. This one involves using your arms to pull your opponent off balance. I generally push them back and then jerk them towards me and use their own momentum to turn them to my left. As they're coming forward the most important thing to remember is your foot position, you want to have your front foot between 6 and 12 inches from their front foot but don't plant it, be ready to swivel on it so that you can push off to your left as your drive your opponent down. Sometimes with this, the actual trip isn't 100% effective if they still have their foot planted and aren't completely off balance so you can throw in a sneaky calf kick to their left leg with your left heel (which should make them react by either going on their toes or trying to move the leg) and then immediately use the trip. Again, don't let a Judo instructor see you do it because tantrums will be forthcoming.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I've not made much sense.

Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon May 30, 2011 12:22 am

That's awesome! The first one especially looks like something I could drill and use if I got decent at it. Thanks for the tips will have a bash at those at open mat some time soon!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 am

No worries mate. Let me know how they work out for you. If you've got a buddy at your class get him to drill it with you. Just take turns on it and do it over and over until you almost do it instinctively.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 am

I have a mate of similar size and experience level will drill it with him mate and let you know how it goes!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 am

Cool. Having gone on to Youtube just to find those videos, I'm now sitting here in knots laughing at some of the Sonnen interviews before the Anderson fight.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 pm

albion was it you who said you have done pro wrestling, im intited to do a show up here in newcastle will be my first match in 7 years,
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Ace Smile Yeah, I did train for around 6 months, 4-5 times a week, never did a show though. Good luck with that dude!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 pm

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150264593631293&comments

This link leads to my second match at superheavyweight. I won 6-2 gaining points for a sweep and taking mount. My opponent got 2 takedown points for grabbing my pants leg when i pulled guard lol. Im the guy in the black Gi. My sis taped the fight and paused it for a "boring bit" therefore missing my sweep which is a ball ache. Will post links to my other matches if anyone taped them!

My other results were a 9-0 win against the same opponent as above (sweep, passed guard, mount) and a submission loss to a very quick MW in the first round of absolute. it was 0-0 and I had 1 advantage point when he subbed me.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 pm

Anfield- had a comp style match tonight and tried o-soto-gari for the first time for shits and giggles. Nearly pulled it off , all except the final shove to get the guy all the way over. Gonna be trying that again!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:14 am

Good stuff mate! If worst comes to the worst, Just power the guy over your leg. But if you wanna do it right use your arms and shoulder to hold him off balance, with the power of the sweep coming from your hip, gravity will do the rest.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Good stuff mate! If worst comes to the worst, Just power the guy over your leg. But if you wanna do it right use your arms and shoulder to hold him off balance, with the power of the sweep coming from your hip, gravity will do the rest.

anfield you any good at grappeling with a gi? iv been looking over some techniques but one of them is hard to get my head around. its the Harai makikomi (side sacrifice technique)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:11 am

I'm a 4th dan black belt mate so I'd say i'm pretty good at grappling with a gi. Very Happy

Harai-Makikomi. Like I said above, I'm not great at explaining things but this is my break down of it.

Basically what you're doing it using your right arm around your opponent to take his focus off your left hand which is taking a grip of his Gi around the elbow area. The left hand and the grip you take with it is the key to the whole thing.

With your right forearm you're trying to gently push the persons head forward. if you push someones head, their body will follow. But you want to do it gently, not roughly. You want the movement to be gradual rather than a jerking movement.

The use of the hip can be done with varying force dependent on their posture. Even if they are rigid straight and you're not moving their head, by hip checking hard you will bend them at the mid section which starts the forward motion of their head which allows you to pull their right arm with your left hand and bring the head with your right arm. Once you have them going it's all about your own bodyweight. Your turning and dropping and basically just bringing them with you over your leg. You have to get your right arm out from behind their head at the right time. Too early and you don't get them to go, too late and you risk smashing their face into the mat and dislocating your shoulder.

Harai-Makikomi is not a frequently used throw in competitions or indeed in practice. Once you've learned it you just sort of move past it. It's pretty hard to get right and it's a lot about control. I really would never recommend using it to anyone unless both people involved know how to land. It can be really ugly. I've seen broken arms, broken collarbones, broken shoulders, dislocations and a broken neck from Harai Makikomi gone wrong. I prefer Hane-Makikomi and Soto-Makikomi to Harai-Makikomi. They're easier to do and can be done a quicker and are more controlled. I'm not really a fan of sacrifice throws in competition because they can be countered, but they are a lot of fun to do in practice.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I'm a 4th dan black belt mate so I'd say i'm pretty good at grappling with a gi. Very Happy

Harai-Makikomi. Like I said above, I'm not great at explaining things but this is my break down of it.

Basically what you're doing it using your right arm around your opponent to take his focus off your left hand which is taking a grip of his Gi around the elbow area. The left hand and the grip you take with it is the key to the whole thing.

With your right forearm you're trying to gently push the persons head forward. if you push someones head, their body will follow. But you want to do it gently, not roughly. You want the movement to be gradual rather than a jerking movement.

The use of the hip can be done with varying force dependent on their posture. Even if they are rigid straight and you're not moving their head, by hip checking hard you will bend them at the mid section which starts the forward motion of their head which allows you to pull their right arm with your left hand and bring the head with your right arm. Once you have them going it's all about your own bodyweight. Your turning and dropping and basically just bringing them with you over your leg. You have to get your right arm out from behind their head at the right time. Too early and you don't get them to go, too late and you risk smashing their face into the mat and dislocating your shoulder.

Harai-Makikomi is not a frequently used throw in competitions or indeed in practice. Once you've learned it you just sort of move past it. It's pretty hard to get right and it's a lot about control. I really would never recommend using it to anyone unless both people involved know how to land. It can be really ugly. I've seen broken arms, broken collarbones, broken shoulders, dislocations and a broken neck from Harai Makikomi gone wrong. I prefer Hane-Makikomi and Soto-Makikomi to Harai-Makikomi. They're easier to do and can be done a quicker and are more controlled. I'm not really a fan of sacrifice throws in competition because they can be countered, but they are a lot of fun to do in practice.

cheers mate thats a good explanation iv asked instructors but they seem to shy away from the sacrafice moves.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am

Sacrifices aren't advisable until you've got a couple of years behind you. And never try them against someone who knows what you're doing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 pm