THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
Hank Scorpio
MMA
Chimezero
toonswagger
Paddyjock
kinc1967
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Ginginho
Bulldog67
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
redmeanie77
Shanemc
pinsman
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
the_king
Albion_Oakley
GWillz
rudeboyben84
29 posters

A Bit about you...

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

A Bit about you... - Page 5 Empty Re: A Bit about you...

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm

quicksuperlee wrote:Name: Lee

Age 33 (34 in April)

Nationality/Where you live: English/Warrington

Martial Arts Experience: Green Belt Traditional Ju-Jitsu/ train Muay Thai 3 times a week did a bit of Jeet-Kun-Doh lone time ago. Started 3 yrs ago coz i was bored in the gym!!! Am i gona fight? No chance!!! My nose aint staight as it is!!!!

Any Records/Achievments In Marital Arts: Apart from green belt in ju-jitsu..none!!!

Weightclass:Light heavy coz of my belly!!! Dont drink or smoke..cant stop eating!!!!.

Favorite MMA fighers Past/Present: Thats easy Evan Tanner (RIP)..will explain later..

Present fighters: Vitor Belfor

When did you get into MMA: Watched UFC 50 or 51 Super saturday on Bravo a long time ago when they used to put them on the sunday after they were on in America...Vitor v Ortiz, Evan Tanner V David Terrel (this is why i liked Evan Tanner RIP). Went out and bought UFC 1-20 and a Pride heavyweight tounament (the one where fedor v nog and nog has his eyebrow split). Watched most of the ufc's ever since went 105, watch K1, might be goin Muay Thai premier league in the MEN in March. Basically wil watch anythin cept the god awful tag team mma (an affont to mma)

Fighters you met/Trained with: Bisping, Quinton Jackson, Rob Broughton, Sean Salmon, kongo, Tom Blackledge, Paul Kelly,

Favorite Boxers Past/Present: Dont like Boxing...just dont know why..

Other Sports/Sporting Heroes? I'll watch most sports on the tv..even darts!!!.

Thats it really..am married..have a 5yrd old girl to an ex..used to live in Croxteth Liverpool, am a Civil engineer on the railway..

Any questions?

thanks lee, i got a question if you dont mind...

would you mind telling me a bit more about your job?
    it could be interesting to me since i am a civil engineering student (2nd year) and it is possible that i am considering going into railways.
    thanks.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 am

I have a question for you Lee,

Red or Blue?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 am

oh and whilst i'm at it, whats jeet kune do like? and how many qualified instructors can there really be in it? Bruce lee died very young.

also 3-2 get in! tongue
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

first things first..

Anfield..neither..i go to watch St.Helens RLFC on a friday night when they are playing..cant stand football..used to love it..my view i that they are overpaid poofs..put a footballer in a cage with me and well see who the man is!!!

Manshesthair..well im a civil engineer as i sed before..went to a college and did a HND in Building studies, got a job with a relaying company (more about that in a min), and they put me through a HNC in Civil Engineer, and im gona have to give up training coz i wanna do Mechanical Enginneering at Nightschool.
    Right about the railways..basicaly its still fragmented, Network rail do all the maintainance of the track and inderpendant companys relay (ie replace), i work for one of the inderpendant companies have done for nearly 10 yrs.
    As for a job..do u have a life at weekends? Coz as soon as you work on the railways the weekends belong to them!!! We do all our replacing at the weekend and do the planning/design for the job in the weeks, so weekends are just for working..havant been out on a saturday night since 105!!!! worked xmas as well!!! Its good money as an engineer, but like all professions the jobs are few and far between.
    Personally id contact Network Fail (oops Rail) and tell them what you are doing and see if they will be intrested in taking you on after you finish college...or head to london coz thats where all o the work is for this bloody olympics is..(it will cripple the country and is starting to now..believe u me!!!)

rant over!!
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am

"cant stand football..used to love it..my view is that they are overpaid poofs"

100%. Rugby all day every day. 99% of footballers are desperately poor excuses for men.
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:09 am

Paolo_73 wrote:"cant stand football..used to love it..my view is that they are overpaid poofs"

100%. Rugby all day every day. 99% of footballers are desperately poor excuses for men.

agreed..been watching rugby league since i was about 9...mans game..
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 am

Paolo_73 wrote:"cant stand football..used to love it..my view is that they are overpaid poofs"

cheers

The difference between Rugby and Football:

A Bit about you... - Page 5 4356493

A Bit about you... - Page 5 7VKHOsEM
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:18 am

And the Irishman would get a quick bandage and a tap on the backside on his way back onto the park, while the scrote nursing what looks like a devastating grass stain on his ankle will get 8 months off and a billion pounds....
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

A Bit about you... - Page 5 Empty A bit about Raiden

Post  Raiden Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Background/Attempt at an explanation as to why I like MMA so much:

Mortal Kombat

Not just mortal kombat but beat'em up computer games. Namely Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter & Tekken. I always had a big interest in these games, I used to be quite into computer games. Something about beat em ups appealed to me a lot more than other games.

Pro Wrestling

Had a big interest in pro wrestling when I was younger. I still have a lot of respect for pro wrestling. A lot of people laugh at it and find it ridiculous, and the vast majority of it that I see today is. However, I have seen some seriously impressive stunts and showmanship. I loved ECW.

I notice a few other pro wrestling fans here on the armbar. Also, I notice a lot people on sherdog making references to beat'em up computer games. Seems to be a bit of a trend.

I used to do backyard wrestling and record it with my mates when I was younger. Was extreme enough. I was 2 characters in it, one of them was Alan McMahon the onwer of the Federation. Really funny looking back on it we used to come up with some really funny storylines aswel.

How I got into MMA

I heard of MMA first through Ken Shamrock. I remember watching it for a while then I stopped. I went to college and didn't have the tv channel it was on. It wasn't until I moved and began to hang around with mates who watched it that I really got into it. GSP vs Penn II was when I became a proper fan. It's one of my biggest interests now no question along with food (eating well), strength training, dance music, and partying.

Martial Art Experience:

Started Muay Thai last October, really enjoying it. Started to get a bit more serious about it now. AM considering taking up something else in the not too distant future, maybe Jiu Jitsu.

Sporting Heroes:

MMA

Favourite Fighters:
    Anderson Silva
    Machida
    GSP
    Nick Diaz
    Rampage
    Wanderlei Silva
    Kenny Florian
    Dan Henderson
    Gabriel Gonzaga
    Cain Velasquez
    Joe Stevenson
    Frank Mir

Footy

Was a big footy fan when I was younger and still have a lot of love for the beautiful game. Rugby doesn't come within a gazillion light years to it for me.

Favourite Footballer of all time: Roberto Baggio

Ronaldo (Big Ron)
    Marcio Amoroso
    Gabriel Batistuta
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Francesco Totti
    Rui Costa
    Dejan Savicevic
    Hristo Stoitchcov
    Davor Suker
    Allesandro Del Piero
    Filipo Inzaghi
    Fastino Allspria
    Romario

Pro Wrestling

Chris Benoit
    Shawn Micheals
    Rob Van Dam
    Jeff Hardy
    AJ Styles
    Christopher Daniels
    Samoa Joe
    Kurt Angle
    The Rock
    Stone Cold

Favourite Boxer:

Floyd Mayweather
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Have to say shocking comments coming from Raiden there about rugby!! You have really gone down in my estimation!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:20 pm

A Frank Mir fan Cool

Welcome to the club cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm

quicksuperlee wrote:first things first..

Anfield..neither..i go to watch St.Helens RLFC on a friday night when they are playing..cant stand football..used to love it..my view i that they are overpaid poofs..put a footballer in a cage with me and well see who the man is!!!

Manshesthair..well im a civil engineer as i sed before..went to a college and did a HND in Building studies, got a job with a relaying company (more about that in a min), and they put me through a HNC in Civil Engineer, and im gona have to give up training coz i wanna do Mechanical Enginneering at Nightschool.
    Right about the railways..basicaly its still fragmented, Network rail do all the maintainance of the track and inderpendant companys relay (ie replace), i work for one of the inderpendant companies have done for nearly 10 yrs.
    As for a job..do u have a life at weekends? Coz as soon as you work on the railways the weekends belong to them!!! We do all our replacing at the weekend and do the planning/design for the job in the weeks, so weekends are just for working..havant been out on a saturday night since 105!!!! worked xmas as well!!! Its good money as an engineer, but like all professions the jobs are few and far between.
    Personally id contact Network Fail (oops Rail) and tell them what you are doing and see if they will be intrested in taking you on after you finish college...or head to london coz thats where all o the work is for this bloody olympics is..(it will cripple the country and is starting to now..believe u me!!!)

rant over!!

thanks alot for this information mate.

I contacted Network rail about summer work. Basically they would take you on one summer and if they like you invite you back next summer and then give you a job when you graduate.

Not sure yet whether i want to go for it or not.

Sounds like you have a pretty good job though, especially considering the state of the job market.

bad time to be looking for a job, good time to be a student!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:42 pm

quicksuperlee wrote:first things first..

Anfield..neither..i go to watch St.Helens RLFC

Bradford Bulls fan myself. Living in the south of england i don't get much chance to see quality rugby league.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Rugby vs Football, the age all debate on an MMA forum Laughing
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah, never really understood the whole Rugby vs Football thing. Love both (including both codes of Rugby). It's the same with Boxing vs MMA. Don't see why there isn't room for both.

Rugby League (Wigan) - Love
    Football (Newcastle Utd) - Love (although it's probably more of a sufferance).
    Love Boxing and MMA, and don't think that anyone should have to choose between the two. And, whilst I have never really followed Pro-Wrestling. I can understand why some would like it. Marketing and entertainment value are both top-notch, and, I don't think anyone could accurately claim that it is without a high level of skill and athleticism.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm

I play both codes of rugby for clubs in coventry, just think football has kinda destroyed itself very slowly and it can only get worse.

MMA over Boxing any day, again with boxing... not much going on really (may upset a few people with that...sorry =( )
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 pm

I agree Pete, I love them all (as my name suggests) as well and loads of other sports but people always have to find a way to critisize the other one.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Don't get me wrong Chelsea I love a game of footy and i'm a Coventry City fan, as much as it pains me!! But for me, I just enjoy Rugby more, prob due to the fact I play it... Just love everything about Rugby too, it's a gentlemans sport... You can batter the living day lights out of each other on the pitch and have a casual pint after it he he!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 pm

pinsman wrote: i'm a Coventry City fan,

Wow, sorry for your troubles mate!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am

Ye don't get me wrong either, I wasn't talking about anyone in the forum, im just saying it happens a lot between fans of different sports.

I actually probably enjoyed playing rugby more but I enjoy watching football more. When I first started rugby I played wing, and I hated it. But then I moved to centre, fullback and even openside and I really loved it.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:09 am

I'm Second row in union and Front row in league, and cheers Anfield it's been tough since we dropped out the Prem... Must say I prob enjoy playing and watching Rugby more than football but thats just a personal preference.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:14 am

i played rugby when i was in school. Used to play hooker or flanker. Played a bit over the years, just for a laugh and to keep fit. Haven't played in about 8 years though.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:16 am

Hooker is prob the only place I would not want to play... Mainly due to the fact I know what I do to them as a second row and I wouldn't want that ha ha! They take a beating all game... Flanker is the best position on the pitch, get all the action there!! With Judo skills too you'd be bloody awesome!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:22 am

I was good at the defensive side of the game, tackling and rucking and mauling but not great attacking wise. Enjoyed the game though.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

A Bit about you... - Page 5 Empty reply

Post  Raiden Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Didn't mean to dis rugby but it was in retaliation to the comments made about football. I respect rugby and think it is a great game-I just never got into it like I did with football.

I think Pete made a great comment:

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Yeah, never really understood the whole Rugby vs Football thing. Love both (including both codes of Rugby). It's the same with Boxing vs MMA. Don't see why there isn't room for both.

Rugby League (Wigan) - Love
    Football (Newcastle Utd) - Love (although it's probably more of a sufferance).
    Love Boxing and MMA, and don't think that anyone should have to choose between the two. And, whilst I have never really followed Pro-Wrestling. I can understand why some would like it. Marketing and entertainment value are both top-notch, and, I don't think anyone could accurately claim that it is without a high level of skill and athleticism.

Well put mate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:01 pm