THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104. Empty How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104.

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Visibly angry with the decision — Who cares what I think? I'm only the fuckin' promoter! — White retreats with his entourage to his private dressing room, where he is joined by two financial officers from Zuffa. Along with Lorenzo Fertitta, White decides who should win the bonus money for best submission and the rest. Bonus checks for all the fighters are written out by hand. When they get to Shogun's check, White orders the accountants to "pay the taxes." Meaning, essentially, that he wants Shogun's previously contracted payday to be doubled.

With a check for $250,000 in hand, White goes off looking for Shogun.

When the defeated challenger sees the boss enter his dressing room, he rises shamefacedly from his bench — his body language says defendant about to be sentenced. His manager stands stolidly at his left elbow; his entourage surrounds him in a semicircle.

White hands Shogun his check. He points to the amount. "Tell him that's the real number," White instructs the manager.

"Thank you, thank you very much," Shogun says in heavily accented English. Back home in Curitiba, Brazil, his wife is expecting their first child. He looks appreciative — if not exactly satisfied.

"We paid the taxes," White reiterates. Maybe he didn't understand? He points to the check again. "That's the real number there. That's take-home pay."

Shogun listens to the translation. He ratchets his proud, chiseled jaw one crank higher. "Okay, thank you," he says. "Thank you very much."

"I know it doesn't erase what happened."

Resigned: "No, no problem."

"But it's gotta make you feel a little better." White elbows the fighter playfully in the triceps — I just gave you an extra hundred grand, dude, lighten up!

Shogun breaks down and smiles for real. White regards him appraisingly. "Do you want a rematch?"

No translation is necessary

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/8/1240677/how-dana-white-handled-the-lyoto
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104. Empty Re: How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104.

Post  Paolo_73 Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Awww, Dana's such a stand-up guy, ALWAYS doing the right thing by his fighters. Great to see him casually handing out $125k of his business's capital without consulting anybody else, his accountants must absolutely love him.

One of the most cringeworthy accounts I've ever read. I'll think of him as a humanitarian if I find out in 10yrs that all this time he's been secretly sponsoring kids in Africa or something. Until then he's an egocentric prick, feeding someone with one hand and slitting 3 other guy's throats with the other.
    exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104. Empty Re: How Dana White Handled the Machida Over Shogun Decision at 104.

Post  exiledinmanila Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

full article here-http://www.esquire.com/features/people-who-matter-2010/dana-white-ufc-0210
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:11 am

If i was Machida and i heard about that, i'd run my contract out and tell Dana where to go. Disgraceful from a promoter to be so ridiculously biased. If Machida batters Shogun in the rematch Dana is going to look like an even bigger prick.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 am