THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Mryzyz
superman_punch
The_Axe_Emperor
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
Shanemc
elmatadorafa
Anfields5thKing
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
13 posters

Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights Empty Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25 pm

The UFC's light heavyweight division has long been considered by many to be the promotion's most competitive. And Dana White believes that is the case – and that some of his most notable fighters at 205 have crucial bouts coming up.

The UFC president, speaking Friday at a Q&A session for enlisted military personnel on the Fort Hood base, noted that former champions Lyoto Machida and Tito Ortiz are both in must-win situations in their next fights.

Machida beat Rashad Evans to win the light heavyweight title at UFC 98. He defended the belt with a controversial decision win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 104, but lost it to him in their rematch at UFC 113 last May – his first career loss. Machida followed up that knockout setback with a split decision loss to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 123 in November.

Machida will fight UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, a former two-division champion, at UFC 129 in Toronto in April. A loss to Couture would be three straight for the Brazilian – which often signals a quick release from the UFC.

"He's had two losses in a row," White told the troops. "Right after he won the title, (UFC on-air analyst Joe) Rogan said this is 'The Machida Era,' and I thought so too. Then Shogun beat him, and then he just lost to Rampage. Now he's fighting Randy Couture in Toronto – and this is a must-win for him."

In addition, White said Ortiz, once one of the most dominant champions in UFC history, could be reaching the end of his career. Ortiz is scheduled for a main event fight on the UFC's Fight Night 24 card in Seattle in March against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

"Tito's got to win this fight to stay in the UFC," White said. "If he loses this fight, he'll probably retire."

Ortiz has not won a fight since 2006, when he won a split decision over Forrest Griffin. Earlier that year, he had a pair of TKOs against Ken Shamrock. At UFC 66, Ortiz lost to Chuck Liddell in an attempt to reclaim the light heavyweight title he held and defended five times in the early 2000s. A draw against Evans followed, his only fight in 2007. Then came a loss to Machida, his only fight in 2008. That fight was thought to be his last in the UFC courtesy of a highly public feud with White.

But Ortiz returned at UFC 106 after he and White settled their differences. He lost a split decision, though, to Griffin, his only fight in 2009. And in his only fight in 2010, Ortiz lost to his former pupil on "The Ultimate Fighter," Matt Hamill, at UFC 121. He has been plagued by back injuries, including surgeries in an attempt to alleviate the problems.

White also said the injury to current light heavyweight champion Rua has helped create a bit of a cluster in the division. Rua defends his title for the first time when he takes on Evans at UFC 128 in Newark, N.J., on March 19.

But White said it may be one of his former champions who is next up, despite many who believe a UFC 126 fight between Jon Jones and Ryan Bader will determine the top contender. Bader is unbeaten; Jones' only loss was a disqualification against Hamill for illegal elbows, a fight he was dominating.

"(The light heavyweight) division is interesting," White said. "There's so many guys at 205, (but) Rampage is probably next in line. Rampage is still in the mix. You've got Jon Jones fighting Bader, which is going to be a great fight that catapults one of those guys into the top five. The big problem with the 205-pound division has been, Shogun's injury has been clogging up the division. So now he's healthy and gonna fight, and we're getting everything rolling here."

Jackson is scheduled to meet Thiago Silva at UFC 130 in May. Silva beat Brandon Vera in a unanimous decision at UFC 125 earlier this month, chasing him from the UFC in the process.

In another potentially important fight in the UFC's light heavyweight division, Griffin and former middleweight champion Rich Franklin fight as the co-main event at UFC 126.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/22/dana-white-lyoto-machida-tito-ortiz-in-must-win-fights/
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights Empty Re: Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights

Post  the_king Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:10 am

maybe this is why dana let the machida fight with randy happen as he expects machida to win and he doesnt want to cut him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights Empty Re: Dana White: Lyoto Machida, Tito Ortiz in 'Must-Win' Fights

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 am

I actually hope Machida losses if it means him getting cut and getting out of the UFC.
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Where are people getting the Machida getting cut part?

"He's had two losses in a row," White told the troops. "Right after he won the title, (UFC on-air analyst Joe) Rogan said this is 'The Machida Era,' and I thought so too. Then Shogun beat him, and then he just lost to Rampage. Now he's fighting Randy Couture in Toronto – and this is a must-win for him."

It is a must win fight for the "Machida era", its a long way back to the title if he loses in Toronto, im sure Machida and his team themselves will tell you its a must win fight for them.

Tito is the guy Dana says if he doesnt win, he will "probably" retire.

Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 pm

i understand him saying that about Tito hes looked terrible lately but its rediulous that he says that about Machida aswell doesnt matter anyway i think he will beat Randy relitevely easy but why does Dana hate him so much?
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Who has been cut the quickest after loosing the belt?? Timmeh??? totally harsh on Machida i think.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Latest from Dana at the Q&A session with the troops...
    On Nate Diaz, (who White confirmed will take on Rory MacDonald in Toronto) and his brother, Nick:
    "Nate Diaz is on the Toronto card, too. I'm a big Nate Diaz fan. I like him a lot – him and his brother. The problem with Nick Diaz is Nick won't play the game even [a little]. You can't [flip off] the athletic commission. You can't tell people – you have to play the game a little bit. When Nick Diaz wants to play just a little bit – and nobody's telling him not to be who he is and not to act the way he wants, but you've got to play a little – when he does, we'd love to have him back in the UFC."

On Wanderlei Silva's next opponent:
    "We were actually trying to hook [Silva] up with Brian Stann. He doesn't want to fight Brian Stann. He's like, 'Fuck that; everybody is going to hate me if I fight Brian Stann. Everybody loves Brian Stann.' But that's the fight we're trying to make right now."

On The Huntington Beach Badboy's future in the Octagon:
    "Tito's got to win this fight to stay in the UFC. If he loses this fight, he'll probably retire."

On TUF moving down to the smaller weight classes in the near future:
    "It's going to happen. We do two of these things a year. We'll end up having those guys in one of these seasons of The Ultimate Fighter. We just added the weightclasses from the WEC. [Flyweight] will be the next one. The reason we didn't have it before was that we didn't have enough fights. We weren't putting on enough fights to get all these fights on in these different weightclasses. Now that we're going all over the world, it's going to happen – next year."

On the likelihood that the UFC will do an outdoor show down the road:
    "We've talked about it a few times. To be honest, it scares me to death, doing it outdoors. Look how beautiful it is today. Yesterday was freezing cold with wind. You never know. This is a tough sport to do outside. You can play a football game in this kind of weather, but fighting is a whole different ballgame. I guess if we really decided to do it, Hawaii would probably be the best place to do it. We'd do it in the Aloha Bowl."

On the possibility that we might see Royce Gracie compete at UFC Rio:
    "We went down there to [Rio de Janeiro] to do a big press conference. [Royce] came with us and was part of the press conference. He's still very close to the UFC, and we talk to him all the time. He still wants to fight one more time. He's retired right now. He's a good guy, though. We look at him as the father of this whole thing. We've got nothing but respect for him, and he's still very much involved with us.

On Roy Nelson's next opponent:
    "We've also got [Roy] 'Big Country' [Nelson] fighting Frank Mir. That fight's going to happen, too. That's a fun one."
    http://www.cagepotato.com/dana-white-says-rampage-next-line-winner-shogun-evans-and-nick-diaz-welcome-back-if-he-plays-game
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:
    On The Huntington Beach Badboy's future in the Octagon:
    "Tito's got to win this fight to stay in the UFC. If he loses this fight, he'll probably retire."

I love how he says he'll "probably retire" and not that Dana'll cut him.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 am

why wont wrandi fight stann?
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Lyoto is in a dangerous position but to cut him would be ridiculous as he's a definate top 5 LHW. on another day he'd beat Rampage if he didn't the first time
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm

If Machida loses to Randy he should probably be cut.

None of Randys' last 4 opponents have won a fight in the UFC since they fought him.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm

If Randy beats Machida,i'll be dancing around like a crazy fool,i couldn't think of a better way for Randy to retire from the sport,apart from obviously beating Shogun for his belt cheers cheers cheers

But as much as I love Randy and would absolutely love to see it happen,I can't honestly see it,Machida is one of the best LHW's in the world,#2 behind shogun probably ( I thought he beat rampage and i'm sure he would win a rematch)and Randy's best days are well behind him unfortunately, and is now hard pushed to make a top 10 LHW claim(though the fanboy in me is still holding out hope for him to turn the clocks back once more and go out in style)

Even if the unimaginable happened,I don't think that would cost Machida his job personally.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 pm

I cant see UFC letting a solid top 10 Lhw go and Machida is still that if he looses to Couture.

Is this Coutures last fight? What if he wins? Im sure if he looses he retires but if he won there would be a good case to put him in for a shot at the title. The others are allready matched up...

Forrest/Franklin
    Rampage/T.Silva

Will have all won 2 fights in a row if they win.

Bones vs Bader winner isnt getting rushed into a shot. I think they will give either man 1 more fight...

Randy will be on a 4 fight spree, stranger things have happened!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah thinking about it,your right,Shoguns been vocal for ages saying he'd love to fight Randy and Randy has said the only two fighters in the UFC he'd now fight is Machida and Shogun.

So yeah if Randy somehow beats Machida(which I doubt),I think he would probably get the next shot at Shogun,if Shogun gets past Evans that is.
    If Shogun loses to Evans and Randy beats Machida,that would fuck things right up,I wonder what would happen from there.

Shogun gets rematch with Evans and Randy retires on a great win
    Shogun gets rematch with Evans and Randy waits for his shot
    Randy fights Evans for the Belt
    Randy fights Shogun anyway

Laughing I can't help thinking that it's a bit far fetched to mentioning Randy getting past machida,never mind being back in the title picture though,it would be fucking fantastic,and a Rockyesque finish to his carear,but it just doesn't sound right anymore.

But one thing I'll always say about Randy and It's one of the main reasons,I love the guy so much,is that again and again over his career,everyone has counted him out so many times,like with Vitor,Rizzo,Chuck,Tito,Timmeh and gonzaga,yet even though the odds were stacked against him each time, he found a way to shock us in all of them and pull out the win.

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm

the_king wrote:why wont wrandi fight stann?
    A lot guys talk about brian but this guy is american hero, and I respect so much then army guys, I don't wants fight with him.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/582734-wanderlei-axe-murderer-silva-does-not-want-to-fight-brian-all-american-stann
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:
    the_king wrote:why wont wrandi fight stann?
    A lot guys talk about brian but this guy is american hero, and I respect so much then army guys, I don't wants fight with him.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/582734-wanderlei-axe-murderer-silva-does-not-want-to-fight-brian-all-american-stann

thats no reason to turn down a fight though.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm

I know, it sounds a bit like an excuse to me. Wandi probably thinks he has more to lose than he has to gain in fighting Stann.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 pm

everyone calls out Wand, he cannot fight them all.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am

Tito says he has no plans to retire...

"You guys have got to give me a chance, man. Look at my last fights. I fought Forrest Griffin last year with a ruptured disk in my neck, and I still fought to a split decision. I come back a year later after neck surgery, and I fight a guy who's on a five-fight win streak, and I lost a couple of takedowns. You guys think I should retire? It's just crazy."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22214/regardless-of-ufc-fight-night-24-outcome-tito-ortiz-not-ready-to-retire.mma
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:Tito says he has no plans to retire...

"You guys have got to give me a chance, man. Look at my last fights. I fought Forrest Griffin last year with a ruptured disk in my neck, and I still fought to a split decision. I come back a year later after neck surgery, and I fight a guy who's on a five-fight win streak, and I lost a couple of takedowns. You guys think I should retire? It's just crazy."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22214/regardless-of-ufc-fight-night-24-outcome-tito-ortiz-not-ready-to-retire.mma

That is sad to read and even sadder Tito believes this Tito showed nothing in the Hammill fight that can convince anyone he isn't done IMO.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:08 pm

he is the next ken shamrock.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:12 pm