THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
The_Axe_Emperor
Paolo_73
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
mikeyboybisping
10 posters

P4P British MMA Fighters

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

P4P British MMA Fighters - Page 2 Empty Re: P4P British MMA Fighters

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 am

I don't remember him ever being top 5 and when you look at his wins it's hard to make a case for him to be up there.

Agreed he probably was top 10 but i think he's about 11th now or something. What rank is he on our rankings?

EDIT: Ben has him at 10th and that seems pretty fair.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:27 am

Well Swick was ranked 6th or something when Hardy beat him I think. That's a bigger win that anything Bisping has done. Same goes for Hathaway-Sanchez and Daley-Kampmann.

10th is prob fair, not sure Daley deserves to be ranked above him though. Shields's return to WW has made it arguably the strongest division in MMA for me. Condit's return to form and Diaz's continued progression. Hopefully Karo can get back to his best, Askren can continue to impress, Diego Sanchez might find his groove again, Paulo Thiago might find consistancy and Hathaway will go to America, learn real wrestling and proper Muay Thai and become the fighter he can be. It's actually the toughest division by a distance IMO.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:34 am

I think 6th is generous.

You are right though Welterweigh is by FAR the most talent rich division, in a way its a shame that GSP is so dominant, remove him from the weightclass and theres a lot more fun to be had IMO.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 am

I think Kos has what it takes to beat GSP to be honest. He has superior wrestling and that right hand is just lethal if it connects. I think he can beat GSP. And if not him I think Shields will be the man to do it. Shields is bigger than GSP, stronger than GSP, has better wrestling, his control is immense and his BJJ is on another level.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:46 am

I dont think the GSP- Kos fight will be that much different to the first fight to be honest, obv it will be 5 rounds this time but i think that'll be the only difference.

You could be onto something with Shields though, thats definitely an interesting fight for Georges, wonder what gameplan he'll have for that, knowing Shields is a good submission fighter but has poor standup. I think GSP will stand and pick him apart.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 am

When GSP and Kos fought the first time, Kos was so confident in his wrestling that he stopped training wrestling and focused only on stand-up for nearly 9 months, including his entire training camp! This is a different Josh Koscheck.

Shields can take much harder punches than GSP can throw, i see him getting GSP, dragging him down and grinding out the victory.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:06 am

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Well Swick was ranked 6th or something when Hardy beat him I think. That's a bigger win that anything Bisping has done. Same goes for Hathaway-Sanchez and Daley-Kampmann.

10th is prob fair, not sure Daley deserves to be ranked above him though. Shields's return to WW has made it arguably the strongest division in MMA for me. Condit's return to form and Diaz's continued progression. Hopefully Karo can get back to his best, Askren can continue to impress, Diego Sanchez might find his groove again, Paulo Thiago might find consistancy and Hathaway will go to America, learn real wrestling and proper Muay Thai and become the fighter he can be. It's actually the toughest division by a distance IMO.

Not to mention Tyron Woodley and the dangerous Hornbuckle aswell. BJ Penn moving up and talk of Maia possibly moving down to 170 lb affraid

http://www.fighters.com/08/31/demian-maia-hints-at-welterweight-post-ufc-118
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:08 am

"this is a different Josh Koscheck"... I don't buy that. He had the same tools he has now, he chose not to use them. He seen his striking wasn't working in the first fight so he could have very easily switched it up and went back to wrestling, its not like he forgot how to take someone down!

And as for Shields, i really cant see him controlling GSP for 25 minutes. Yes he has great top control but GSP is no slouch on the ground and he'll have to cardio to keep up with and outdo Shields as well. Also GSP has got to have the strength advantage surely?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 am

redmeanie77 wrote:
    Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Well Swick was ranked 6th or something when Hardy beat him I think. That's a bigger win that anything Bisping has done. Same goes for Hathaway-Sanchez and Daley-Kampmann.

Not to mention Tyron Woodley and the dangerous Hornbuckle aswell. BJ Penn moving up and talk of Maia possibly moving down to 170 lb affraid

Any hopefully Akiyama too. What a weightclass.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:21 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

I think Hornbuckle will struggle against good wrestlers. Look what Askren did to him. Woodley is a great shout, forgot about him. BJ is a huge addition if he stays at 170. Hughes is still knocking about. And if the Maia rumours are true that's immense. Sexyama would be much better there too as Axe mentions.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:33 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:"this is a different Josh Koscheck"... I don't buy that. He had the same tools he has now, he chose not to use them. He seen his striking wasn't working in the first fight so he could have very easily switched it up and went back to wrestling, its not like he forgot how to take someone down!

And as for Shields, i really cant see him controlling GSP for 25 minutes. Yes he has great top control but GSP is no slouch on the ground and he'll have to cardio to keep up with and outdo Shields as well. Also GSP has got to have the strength advantage surely?

It's not that he forget, it's that the technique isn't there automatically. It doesn't go overnight but leave it long enough and it will. I've seen Olympic calibre Judoka suffer injury and not train Judo for 6 months. First time back on the mats and they get owned by Orange belts. And continued to get owned for a while afterwards!

GSP is average on the ground and has only ever shown his bottom game once, when Matt Hughes tapped him. Shields is much stronger than GSP. Chael Sonnen said Shields is stronger than most middleweights, and look at how he controlled Hendo. Hendo is MUCH stronger than GSP.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 am

Lets agree to disagree, and look forward to both fights Twisted Evil
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:43 am

Shields has also bulked up alot recently, especially to prepare for the Hendo fight. He is going to be a beast at 170 i think.

Hope rumours of a back injury arent true.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/10/18/ufc-121-%e2%80%93-fears-over-the-fitness-of-jake-shields-after-news-of-a-back-injury-comes-to-light-video/
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:48 am

I'd like to see Shields impress against Kampmann and show the world just how good he is.

I do not look forward to the day we see him fight Fitch though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:29 am