THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Ginginho
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Nog vs Couture

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nog vs Couture Empty Nog vs Couture

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:49 am

Anyone else really looking forward to this one, Its a great card Maia vs Marquardt too because Nates and Maia have but on really impressive performances in their last few fights but Nog vs Couture has me really excited because Ive no Idea how it is going to play out.

Nog has to be favorite. As MMA 2nd best ever heavy he surely has to be the bookies favorite. Now Randy IMO win loose or Draw has looked a lot more impressive in his last few outings Herring and Sylvia both looked to have Nog in trouble and Mir flattened him. Couture on the other hand held his own against Brock untill the KO, Dominated Sylvia and Gonzaga.. He may not have as high a ranking as Nog because a win is a win but he looked a lot better in the fights he won and lost (they are both 2-1 in their last 4 fights)

But if you look at similar opponents, Barnett beat Randy and went 1-1 with Nog. Ricco Rodriguez also beat Couture and lost to Nog.. Sylvia took a worse beating from Couture but Nog finished him inside the distance. Enson Inoue beat Couture and lost to Nog, Valentijn Overeem beat Couture and lost to Nog... Interestingly Couture doesnt hold any Victories over the guys who beat Nog. So you could argue that Nog is just a higher level of fighter... their records would surely suggest that

31-5-1
    16-9-0

I think Records and stats are one thing but as I pointed out 1st Randy has just looked a lot better in the ring, And looked a lot better against Higher Class opposition (Herring worse than Gonzaga, Mir worse than Lesnar) Originally when this fight was talked about I saw it panning out like this

.Nog cant beat Couture on the Feet, Nog has looked very slow and easy to hit. Despite his toughness he will loose on points as Randy could pick him apart, Or with Mir showing his "invincibility" may be a thing of the past.

.Nog cant take Couture down easily, Nog likes to use trips etc.. to take people down, He isnt a Matt Hughes pick you up and slam you type of guy and he hasnt exactly looked explosive in his last few outings. These trips close in are going to be very very hard to do against a Greco Roman guy Randys standard who has a strength advantage. Now with Nog it only needs to hit the ground once.. But it might not

.Nog doesnt pose much of a KO threat to Randy, Again its not that he cant, Its just not a likely ending, He doesnt exactly pack a punch. If there isnt a sub from him its surely going to the scorecards... With Randy most likely being able to controll the standup and grappling on the feet surely he isnt more likely to take a decision?

Anyway that was my original thoughts. Styles make fights and Randy looked to have the style to beat Nog, Especially the over 240lbs nog we have seen plod about the octogon..

Then I saw this...

Nog vs Couture 93456

Nog is doing just what he needs to be doing to level the playingfield, he said he is back in his pride shape (Prime was about 225ish) so he is clearly in great shape, at 33 to Randys 46 he doesnt have to be the slower less fit man, he has age on his side and can put his body through a tougher training camp. They both should come into this around the 225lbs mark but Nog is going to have Reach and Height.. For me he needs to put that into effect. Train tirelessly with Anderson and his Brother to improve his boxing.. After all if Randy cant beat him on the feet Randy is Fucked!! He isnt going to want to be on the ground with Nog at all or he is getting tapped and we all know it! This fight has for me suddenly become very interesting again. Everyone is saying it came Years too late but Its still two top 10 Heavys fighting for the no1 contender spot! and If Nog was to win surely there would be a good case to put him right back as a top 3 heavy. (Drop Barnett or Lesnar whoever you hate more!!) Anyway Its going to be an unbelievable fight, really one for the history books whover wins this is one of the top heavys in the world whoever looses' career isnt going in a good direction.

To be honest my family are all Randy fans, and I am too but I want Nog to win this one, He is more of a legend in my eyes and I think firstly it would make the heavyweight devision in UFC more interesting if he were to win and secondly if someones career is winding down Id much perfer 46 year old Couture!! Its one of those Heart says Nog but head still says Couture. Its all well and good Nog looking back in shape but because I havnt seen it in the Cage Ive gotta stick with my original prediction. Randy to come in the underdog and shock the world again.

Last edited by rudeboyben84 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:54 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nog vs Couture Empty Re: Nog vs Couture

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 am

The Images arent posting, Heres a link to Nog training for the fight...

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/event/1/pictures-nogueira-prepares-for-couture-19249/4

I the more about It the more I think training with his wee brother is the Idea for this fight, He just needs to be able to out box Randy and thats the figth in the bag. Id almost fancy Little Nog to beat Randy down better standup and too dangerous to think about ground and pounding, Speeds going to be a huge factor for him, the lighter frame certainly will help. Id be interested to see video to judge his handspeed footwork and headmovement.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 am

Belated congrats on the birth of your child, Ben. I'm sure you'll enjoy fatherhood.

I'm going for Nog.

I must admit to not being much of a Randy fan (except against Timmeh and Brock) due to his captain America persona (who wants 2-1 on U-S-A being chanted at some stage through this fight!!) and the fact his record doesn't look THAT flash, suffering a loss every 3 fights, but probably more that the UFC market him as a demi-god!!! I know he tends to fight only top class opponents but then I would expect a top fighter to have a better record than that.

In saying that, I see the fight going the way Ben said - with Randy keeping it on the feet and dirty boxing his way to a decision victory, unless Nog can successfully counter those tactics by either out-striking him (unlikely) or getting the fight to the ground.

Some questions for the more informed. Has Randy faced someone with the level of BJJ that Nog has? Can his wrestling, strength and cardio negate Nog's BJJ if the fight were to hit the floor?

I am hoping Nog wins in the 3rd by anaconda choke in a fight similar to his one with Timmeh
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:15 am

Ricco Rodriguez would be the only top BJJ practioner that Randy has faced, he lost via submission due to strikes.
    But he has been submitted by 3 lesser submission artists than Nog, although that was very early in his career.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:49 pm

I am very excitied about this card, 5 good fights I think and all of them have something riding on it.

Nog vs Couture: who wants to stay at the top

Maia vs Nate: Next contender for the MW title

Silva vs Jardine: Who wants to stay in the LHW title picture

Rosholt vs Leben: Possibly a loser leaves match

Krystof vs Vera: See Silva vs Jardine

Im well excitited about it, Nate is one of my favourite fighters, Silva and Jardine should put on a good slugfest, so should Krystof and Vera and Leben is fun to watch. Then ofcoarse there is the main event between two of the most loveable guys in MMA. Couture is a UFC legend, a 5 time, 2 weight champion. Nog is the second greatest HW in MMA.Neiher of these two are high up on my favourite fighters but I like them both so much. Both are legends in my eyes. Not sure who is going to win, I think i might just want Nog to win so he can continue his career a little bit longer, after all Randy is 46!

Im confident that Nate will beat Maia, he is alot better standing up, is a very good grappler and wrestler and trains at an excellent camp. Nate has got to keep this standing, avoid Maia's takedowns and pound away. Sooner rather than later, Nate will catch him and pummel his face in.

Jardine vs Silva: this is a good fight, both coming off losses against the two best LHWs in the world. Both hungry, both want to keep that title. This is a hard fight, Silva is a murder standing up and has very good BJJ as well. Jardine has an akward stance, is a good brawler and good on the ground as well. He has faced a high caliber of opponents recently, he never shys away from a fight, I feel like he really wants the belt and I feel like Jackson (who is a busy man at this event) will give him the right game plan. I wouldn't be suprised if Silva wins though.

Kyrstof vs Vera: Good fight, both well rounded, good standup. Power to Krystof, explosivness and speed to Vera. Vera is a good wrestler and has good BJJ as well, Kyrstof has a dangerous kimura on the ground. Il edge towards vera, I think his Muay Thai skills will be too much for Krystof.

Leben vs Rosholt. The Cat smasher returns after a lengthy lay off after he was busted for Roids. I think Leben is a pretty good fighter, he is quite well rounded. He has an iron chin, heavy hands and an ok ground game. Rosholt is a very good wrestler and a great athlete (ben posted a video of him jumping out a 3ft pool forwards and Backwords!) Its a good fight.

As for the Undercard, im looking forward to Gabe vs Tusherer, I like Gabe in this, he has powerful hands and an excellent BJJ pedigree which should nulify Tushers good wrestling, and should be too much for the UFC newcomer.

Can't wait for it!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:25 am

Copy and Pasted...

"Just one week out from his UFC 102 main event match-up with “Hall of Famer” Randy Couture, rumour has it the Brazilian has suffered a number of knockouts in training, adding weight to the claim that his best years may be behind him.

According to BloodyElbow.com, Nogueira has been repeatedly knockout during sparring sessions both in Brazil and at Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Boxing Club in Los Angeles. This of course follows the Brazilian’s first ever knockout loss of his career back at UFC 92 in December against Frank Mir.

If true this will heap the pressure on the veteran ground fighter ahead of one of the toughest fights of his career. Although Couture is not known for his knockout power, his boxing has seriously improved of late and will pose a major threat on the night"

Crazy stuff!! Id like to know who the men were to knock him out or hear from another website other than MMAbay... I really hope this is not true, Nogueira's almost invincibleness made him the figher he is... Without his Jake Lamotta style toughness he is just a worse version of his Brother... Lets all hope this isnt true. It would be really really sad to see Nog KO'd again.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 pm

I'm in at last.........

Got a horrible feeling Nog is going to be put to sleep Crying or Very sad
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Glad to see you on the forum George Very Happy

Its crazy to think that we are considering a Nog KO loss, If you had of said that a year ago people would have laughed in your face... the only KO he suffered prior to Mir was an 18 wheeler truck that plowed into him!!!

Maby his punch resistance has gone but maby not, Mir in fairness didnt totally KO him. Nog wasnt out Cold, and he had a staph infection. I see a Randy Decision, over 15mins its less likely that Couture can KO him inside the distance. Especially has Randy doesnt really have heavy hands...

I can see a lot of people backing Couture for this one, Suprisingly the bookies have him as a heavy favorite... Very strange thing seeing as Nog is higher ranked, Both took losses in their last fights and for Randy his last loss was only 3 fights before that... for Nog it was 4 fights before that.... Strange. I see Randy winning alright but Id be tempted to stick a few quid on Nog if he is as big an underdog in the bookies as Ive seen somewere.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Yep in 3 fights that could go either way, Nog, Maia and Jardine are big underdogs.

Tuchscherer seems to be by far the biggest underdog in the bookies, I havnt betted on MMA in a few events, Ive made a profit betting on UFC. and had built up a decent profit but blew it all betting on Boxing!! lol!

I think im going to stick a few bets on this event.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nog vs Couture Empty Nog working standup...

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 pm

http://mmabay.co.uk/Video%2000530.html

Nog gets planted a few times. I know the training isnt full speed but he got taggeg right down the middel a few times.
    exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  exiledinmanila Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Looking forward to this card,5 interesting fights,well except maybe for leben but will enjoy if he gets knocked out, Im going for nog to win by submission,i know he hasnt looked great recently but i think his bjj will decide this.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:08 am

I'm not using the Mir fight as any indicator in fact since entering the UFC Nog has looked like a bag of shit compared to his Pride days Herring would have stopped him but let his ego get in the way, Timmeh totally out classed him on the feet luckily he has a poor ground game and obviously against Mir looked awful i hope it was the staph infection but i have my doubts.

The key for Nog is to get Randy on his back preferably ASAP as i don't think he offers any thing on the feet any more
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Randy is 8/15 with Paddy Power
    Nog is 11/8
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Nog vs Couture Empty my hope/predictions

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:31 pm

Nog vs Couture: Got a feeling couture will take this by controlling from top position, which I feel is vastly overweighted in UFC scoring. Hoping for Nog though as I feel randy's time is over and want to see Nog vs lesnar down the line rather than a randy rematch

Maia vs Nate: Not bothered who wins it but I suppose Maia would be a fresh challenger to Silva.

Silva vs Jardine: I feel Jardine has faced tougher competition and that experience should see him through

Rosholt vs Leben: hopefully not leben Smile

Krystof vs Vera: Dont like Vera, really inconsistent performer IMo and krystof looks hungry so he gets the nod from me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:11 am