THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Paolo_73
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Couture vs Vera?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Couture vs Vera? Empty Couture vs Vera?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:55 pm

New Rumour that Couture could end up fighting Brandon Vera at UFC 105 as Nate and Hendo might not happen or negotaitions with Hendo may get dragged out..

This is a great fight, Id really like this to happen because I want Randy to stay active and I want him to be a contender at 205lbs again. Apparently Evans was offered the fight with Randy as the Rampage fight is so far away but Evans turned it down!

Heres hoping this goes ahead, With the Nog fight off the card it could sure a Big Name like Couture.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Couture vs Vera? Empty Re: Couture vs Vera?

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Why did Nog fight get moved to 106? That card was already stcked enough as it is.....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Bloody elbow says the figt has been made official! No Idea what will happen with the Hendo/Nate/Anderson Situation but if there has ever been a case for a tripple threat matchup this is it!! Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Nice, should be a good match. Randy is a big name and the UK fans will appreciate that. This is a big test for Vera, he started his career very brightly including a KO over Mir, before taking a year off and coming in very poor. Losses to Sylvia, Werdum and Jardine, plus a lackstar win over Rees Andy have hindered his progess. He got back on track by mauling some can and outclassing Krystof. Randy is coming off two losses against top class competition where he was very competitive. Randy obviously being the competitior he is, wants to fight reguarly and wants to become a 6 time UFC champion, this time its the LHW division again. The road starts here.

Not sure how they match up, Randy will look for takedowns while Vera will want to keep it standing. Vera has good TD defense while Randy is no slouch standing up. Im edging towards Randy here because im still not sold on Vera and I really want to see "the natural" victorous again. Should be a good one.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Randy will Maul Vera, Seriously if the whole Styles make fights... Vera with his lack of agression and Randys Single collar tie Ruthless Dirty boxing will make for a bad night for Vera. Randy lit Nog up with a few good shots that woulda messed up a lesser fighter. Gonzaga and Belfort two guys would smash Vera took a beating from Randys dirty boxing, If Vera cant shake a Jardine Mauling off he isnt going to have much to offer against Coutures dirty boxing. Randy should put him away inside 2 rounds.

The thing is Vera really does have the tools to get the job done, He has all the skills to Outstrike a lot of the Lhw devision, He has good BJJ and Wrestling had has that big lanky frame to be an Anderson type fighter, I just think he suffers from the same thing as Gonzaga and its more the mentality of a figter that he lacks... Dont know if that sounds stupid but there head doesnt always look in the fight and they lack confidence sometimes. If Vera wants to win he needs to be confident enough to take the figth to Randy. Im glad Randy is taking on an underdog and a slighty easier fight, He really has been pitted against the best for some time. I dont mean to say Vera is easy but Ranking wise he is a good step down for Randy compared to the last I dont know how many years!

Great Main event because after The possibilities of Anderson, Hendo, Marquardt and Lil Nog all being all the card Its good to see one of the biggest Names in UFC like Randy fighting.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

I don't feel particularly good about this.... I'd absolutely hate to see Randy get tagged and lose to Vera, it would be the beginning of the end and I have way too much admiration for him to want to see him start to fade like Chuck did towards the end. In all likelihood Randy will probably destroy him, but there's always that danger of an elbow or a cut.

I don't understand why Randy would take such a step down in quality when almost every other fight he'e ever had has been against the very best of the time. There are so many guys he could fight at 205, Hendo for example would be an awesome fight if Dan wanted another war at LHW. I'd also absolutely love to see him against Franklin, two of my favourite fighters of all time and both totally incapable of putting on a boring fight.

I'm slightly disappointed that Rashad turned it down, but I'd be tempted to say he just doesn't want to fight him because he's a personal hero of his, which is fair enough I suppose.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Wow ben, suprised to hear that from you since I thought you were a Vera fan. I 100% agree though, I think Randy will be too much. I think its good for Randy to get back on the winning track because Franklin and Hendo are tough fights so I think he should just get back on track. I would hate for Randy to finsih with a record of 16-16. Randy did tag Nog with some good shots, and somone with a lesser chin would have been rocked. Vera has better head movement than Nog but I still think that Randy should win this, maybe by UD.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Not a big Vera fan really... I admire good strikers and Muay Thai guys do tend to be my favorites but Vera shows a real lack of agression and I dont like fighters who play it overly safe like that. Im far more of a Couture fan (Hence the Bios one sided prediction!)

But honeslty Vera could well pick him apart etc.. we all know he is rangier and faster but like you said those shots that Tagged Nog woulda stunned a lesser man (Vera Wink ) I Think Randy will push this fight and be on the front foot and Vera will end up against the cage when he backs off too much and get hooked in a single collar tie and brutalised. Randy has done it to much bigger guys and guys I think are far better strikers (Gonzaga and Belfort)

I also cant get the Werdum fight out of my head. If Werdum can get Vera down and pound him out... It should be a walk in the park for Randy, But even on the feet I remember Jardine "Mugging him" as Joe Rogan put it I think. He was pinning him against the cage and mauling him... Again if Jardine can do it Randy should mess him up in a similar Position. If Nog cans Sub Randy Vera cant. So he isnt going to get subbed or GnP'ed... Veras only chance to win is on the feet and Like I said his head isnt in the game. Lets be honest he cant really counterpunch Randy like he has lesser opponents and I think Once Randy roughs him up he wont have the balls to fight on the Front foot.

I predict a TKO 2nd round by Randy... And that because I think Vera will be able to backpeddle quick enough to avoid him for a round! Very Happy

If he does Smash Vera like I predict, What Next?

Id love to see him fight Lil Nog, Its a fight im itching to see. I dont think he will Fight Forrest as they train togeather. Rashad has ducked him already. Ramapge will be filming for a while but Rampage Randy is a fight ive always wanted to see. Lastly we got the looser of Machida vs Shogun.

Randy wont got 16-16 Id bet my left nut on it. He is hanging with top Heavys who are naturally bigger guys, I think he will stay top 10 untill he retires. 205lbs is a far better weight for him. Any heavy who isnt 230lbs should be a Lhw IMO.

If he does loose to Vera it will be a terrible turn for his career. Its a fight he is expected to win for once and It would be terrible to see. If he does loose however theres the Coleman vs Couture Hall of Fame fight. There another Tito Fight because lets be fair a loss and he still is ranked higher than Tito! Wouldnt mind seeing him spank Tito and making him his bitch again! I think these are the two obvious ones if he looses.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:34 pm

This is one of the better opponents he could have gotten at 205, i don't think he would fight Hendo, they were team-mates for many years and were great friends.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

I dont think he would fight Hendo either mate, Even in his book he has a really old picture of him and Hendo climbing a mountain... I think they are really good friends and Hendo looks set for 185lbs Id say. He has UFC by the balls, he is out of contract and is holding firm for another shot at Silva.

How you fancy Vera's chances?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Not great.

He is so hit and miss anyway, he doesnt have great power in his hands, but may still be enough to KO randy who got dropped 3x by Nog.
    apart from that i dont see him winning. I doubt he will be able to keep it on the feet unless randy wants to, and on the ground or in the clinch hes toast.

i knew id read a story about Randy and Hendo so i googled and here it is.
    Hendo is a much more interesting guy then he seems;

=============================================================

Not sure if anyone has heard this before. But it was posted over at Sherdog by Aaron Crecy of "clinchgear.com" so it is definetly reliable, the guy is a close friend of both Henderson and Couture.

Anyways, here it is

In 1995, Randy and Henderson cleaned house on five bouncers in Buckhead (ATL)--it was a brutal bloodbath and took about 90 seconds, max. I was with them, and believe me when I tell you it was total carnage. It started when Randy pushed Dan into a car--just horseplay--outside a bar, and the doormen started talking ****. One of them grabbed a baseball bat and was acting like he was going to swing. So, Randy and Dan squared up.

After a few moments of banter--Hendo told the dude he was going to shove the bat up his ass--Randy suddenly lunged at the dude with the bat, who immediately tucked tail and retreated into the bar with Randy on his heels. Henderson and I remained outside and Dan literally mowed through two of the four remaining bouncers--a fourth friend and I pitched on the last two. One of the guys Dan lit up tried to run away, and Dan would let him go for a few steps, and then beat him down. This lasted for about a block--I know, because I had to track him down so we could elude the police, and was literally a trail of blood on the street. Then, when I went to get Randy out of the bar, I saw that he had destroyed the place by repeatedly picking the bouncer up and tossing him into tables and across the bar.

Dan had just picked up some chick 20 minutes earlier, and she was just horrified, but ended up running from the police with us. We tossed her over chain link fences and brick walls, and by the time we got to our car, her dress was in tatters and she was just livid. Keep in mind, this was two years before either guy fought in MMA. I should also point out that I've known Dan for nearly 20 years and Randy almost 15, and it's the only time I've ever seen either guy in a street fight. The dude with the bat just set them off.

Best part is, Randy was interviewing to be the head coach for the U.S. Greco team, and he was out to dinner with the executives the following night. In the middle of dinner, a cop shows up at his table with the manager, and they say that Randy has to leave. When the USA Wrestling attorney asks why, they said that it was because Randy and some buddies had destroyed the place the night before and assaulted their security staff. Turns out it was the same place! Luckily, they just booted Randy and no charges were filed. 100% true.

Aaron Crecy
    Clinch Gear

=====================================================================
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

What a story!! Randy and Dan are such nice guys the Bouncers must have had it really coming!!! But thats bouncers for you they really keep picking the wrong fights, like Dan and Randy... or the Overeem Brothers!! lol.

I knew they go back a long way as well as being some of the original team quest quys in Randys book there is a picture of them from what looks to be the early 90's or the 80's Judging by the haircuts and very colourfull clothing! Laughing

Two fighters ive always liked... Good story, Cheers for that mate.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 am

Awesome story, just imagine the likelihood of ANYBODY talking smack to Randy and Dan on a night out these days. Some guys are just pure badass, like Rogan said about Randy, 'the nicest guy in the world, but a killer'....
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:33 pm

lol good story randy and dan are badasses lol think vera vs randy will be a good fight i really like vera but think randy will have to much for him and take him down gnp stoppage or decision
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Randy will maul him.

I had a thought about the next fight for Randy though.

How about Lil Nog?? regardless of whether he gets passed Cane, Lil Nog vs Randy makes a lot of sense.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Said the same myself mate, Little Nog would probabally make for just as exciting a fight and rankings wise Little Nog is a lot higher than Vera. Perhaps its still an option if they both get a win?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:15 am

I don't think Nog's stock is affected whether he wins or losses cos i don't think he's highly ranked in the UFC. I think little Nog makes sense for a couple of fighters. Randy, Tito, Evans, Forrest.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:43 am

if randy wins who will he face next will it be at 205 or heavy and if he loses what then? by the way for those who read the 606 pages im the fantasticlongbenton guy.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 am

welcome on Mate!! good to see u on. Randy has said he wants to capture the 205lbs title and I think he said he wants to stay there because of the interesting fights. If he wins the possibilities are endless. Machida vs Randy. Shogun vs Randy if not a title shot then maby a fight with Lil Nog. Evans would duck him again though! Laughing

if he looses I hate to think. If he looses and looks bad who know? Some fighters his age just seem to drop off all of a sudden. One fight they are OK and the next they are done. Its not always a gradual slide into getting worse. so any fight could be his last... Heres hoping it isnt. I cant see him loosing. But if he did... Coleman vs Couture is a likely option both would still be relevant enough fighters and active HOF'ers who havnt met. Theres always Bones vs Couture if he looses, that would make for a great fight id say.... and im just waiting for a passing of the torch fight were Bones takes out an old legend (off topic a but but anyone for feeding Liddell to Bones if he came back to UFC?)

What you think The_King?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:23 am

There's only room for one king around here. And that is most definitely me! Haha!

I think Couture is fooling himself if he thinks he'll be able to lay a finger on Machida or Anderson Silva. Both of those fights would end very badly for Randy. I think Vera is about his level at LHW. He's too slow to match the top fighters. Even Nog made him look slow and knock picked him apart in the standing. Imagine what Machida would do to him!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:52 am

what about rampage or even rich franklin? i think rampage would be a good matchup. or even bring that big goon sylvia back.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:25 am

randy took a big beating in his fight with nog i believe hes going to start to show his age soon thats why i think vera beats him by just be fresher and much faster will really hurt him with leg kicks early to try slow down randys shot and keep it on the fight where he has a big advantage cant see him stopping randy though think this will defo end in a decision

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:00 pm