THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
7 posters

Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner... Empty Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner...

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Vera has been saying that in 2010 he wants to fight whoever is number 3 in the UFC. Apparently he asked UFC for an Imidiate rematch with Randy but was told to fight Bones insted.

He said that he doesnt expect a crack at the number 1 or 2 but would like to face whoever is number 3 which is likely to be the Rampage vs Evans winner. I think Vera beats them both, Ive been saying for Years that I think Vera beats Rampage because its just Muay Thai vs Boxing and weve seen who that goes down... Rampage gets minced in the Clintch or geats his legs Chopped in half! Veras biggest fault is just getting outmuscled, Randy bulled him into the cage and although I though Vera won clearly the Judges didnt, Jardine "Mugged" him as the Comentators said... Again I think Vera won that but again Judges didt...

Evans vs Vera could be the same as Evans used his Wrestling to win against a better striker in Thiago Silva... Id put Evans as a Favorite but I think Rampage would loose. The other possibility is the Forrest vs Nog winner... I think Nog beats Vera despite it being Boxer vs Thai Boxer on the feet, Nog might have trouble getting Vera down but I think he is a better fighter in most aspects of MMA. Vera's accurate striking vs Forrests Chin might see a repeat of the Anderson Silva fight unless Forrest played it smart and used his Strength and Stamina to come out and keep the fight in Veras face... Forrest can be relentless and Vera can look lost when someone keeps the fight rough and in his face but I think Vera if favorite.

Suppose it doesnt matter if he doesnt get past Bones, I think Bones is cracking the top 10 this year and I know a Few others on here have.... who are we all calling in the Bones vs Vera fight? I think its an incredibly dangerous fight were he has more to loose than gain and id like to think UFC would reward him with the number 3 contender with a win.

He has Never been beaten soundly, I think he beat Jardine and Couture and I think the Ref should have let him ride out the storm against Werdum, Against Sylvia he broke his hand while putting up a respectfull enough showing for a one handed fighter....

Im not a Vera fan, funny thing is that when he looks good I love to watch him Against Mike Patt I though we were going to see him turn into Ernesto Hoost! His thai Boxing was seriously good, and I love my Strikers in general! My problem with Vera is that he allows fighters to push him around and he isnt agressive enough... Like Gonzaga and Crocop I think his is a mental Problem and if he screws his head on he can be a contender.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner... Empty Re: Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner...

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:25 pm

I think Vera has all the skills to be the number 5 guy in the division but he needs some big wins to get there. I don't think he'll be a top 4 guy because there's 4 better than him.

Machida
    Shogun
    Rashad
    Little Nog

And then of course there's Mousasi.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner... Empty Re: Vera after Rampage vs Evans winner...

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 pm

He definatly has his hands full, against Jones next month. I'm picking Jones to win that fight. But If Vera can get past Jones, its not unreasonable to think he can take on guys near the top of division like Rampage for example. He can chop him down with leg kicks .....

Vera looked good at 105, but he still needs to improve a few things in his fight, paticularly his aggresion and pace during the fight. He has the tools to overwhelm alot of guys that are currently ranked higher than him with his Striking.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't think he will get past Jones TBH, Jones is better nearly everywhere.

It depends on what Rampage he fights. If its the one who fought Griffin, its an easy win for Vera but if its the Rampage who actually has footwork like against Silva, then Rampage will KO him. I think Bader would beat Vera.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm

You think he can beat Evans? Liddell was outstriking Evans and Couture couldnt take Vera down so I think given Evans size id actually back Vera... Sounds daft because Vera could just show up and put in another half hearted performance but I think he has got it in him to beat Evans.

Whats you call for the Bones vs Vera matchup? I think Either Bones Freaky Arms will be really effective against Vera's counterpunching or Bones Flasshy offence wont work against Vera sharp Textbook defensive Muay Thai. Bones Does have great Slams and Id imagine Vera wouldnt be much for him to Suplex or Throw! Actually really looking forward to that fight becase Vera sounds like he is intending on being on the front foot.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:04 pm

I'd reckon Evans v Vera would follow a similar pattern to Evans v Thiago Silva. If Vera could land one on him then Evans would be in trouble though.

I can't see Vera getting past Jones in the first place though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Rampage's victory over Wandi had little to do with footwork. It was down to Wandi rushing forward and trying to KO him but dropping his hands. Walked straight into the left.

Any top fighter with good kicks and footwork will beat Rampage unless they have a glass chin. Jardine would have beaten him easily if he'd had a better chin. Griffin wasted too much energy trying to get the sub but he beat him with leg kicks. Shameful that Rampage can't check legkicks.

Machida, Shogun, Vera, Anderson Silva. All would beat Rampage IMO. I think Vera at his best would beat him in a fairly lopsided UD. Vera is far better in the clinch, has better wrestling and his overall striking is much better. Rampage is stronger and hits harder but that's about it.

I think Evans would beat Vera by using the same tactics he used against Silva. Evans has by far the best takedowns in that divisions. Couture is a Greco guy with decent but not great takedowns. Trips, drags and picks are Couture style of taking someone down. Vera is excellent at Greco and knows all the tricks. Evans would just power through and take him down.

Vera at his best is better than Jones in most departments. Much better stand-up, better clinch, better grappling. Jones has better takedowns and has an unorthodox style of striking but IMO he's not as good as Vera.

I do agree with Chelski that Bader would beat Vera, but he's got a great chin, good power, ridiculously strong, and a great wrestler.

I'd actually like to see Bader fight Jones after they both have their next fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:I'd reckon Evans v Vera would follow a similar pattern to Evans v Thiago Silva. If Vera could land one on him then Evans would be in trouble though.

I can't see Vera getting past Jones in the first place though.

Vera doesn't hit as hard as Silva. I don't think he could knock Evans out. But his knees and kicks are top class and hurt by the looks of Couture at 105.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Reckon he could KO Evans, Evans has been dropped and Rocked before so his chin isnt Cote's on anything... Anyone can be KO'd with a Knee to the Jaw! With Vera beeing a foot taller than Evans Id imagine he would try to fuck him up in the clintch... I hope its a fight we see. I think Evans is going to beat an out of sorts Rampage allright.... Still undecided about Vera vs Bones though...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:05 pm

A foot taller! haha! he's not stefan struve! Only way Vera KO's Evans is with a knee.

I'm hoping Evans beat Rampage and makes him look bad. Lost a lot of respect for Rampage after TUF.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Mee too mate, the guy came across like a Cunt to his fighters, he Crashed his car and Killed and unborn Child... and he hit Wanderlei when he was out.

Evans made me a fan after TUF and the Liddell fight, Cool guy I hope we get to see him mix it up with Nog and Shogun, I think there are some really interesting fights for him.

What you think about him cutting to 85, I hear he likes 205 because he doesnt have to put his Body through much of a weight cut and it leaves him feeling fresher for the fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 pm

i lost the respect i earned for evans on tuf...in the Silva fight (if that makes sense)

cant stand fighters who fight solely for points.

i like fighters who are always working with a KO or submission in mind.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:35 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do to win as they say!! He was getting KO'd if he stood and banged with Silva... Its not like he was boring he was rattling off bodyshots and combos before the big slam TD's.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 pm

sure you do.

doesnt mean i have to like it Mad

anyway he wasnt doing anything when he got silva down and silva just kept getting back up. For a "bjj blackbelt" with great boxing and ko power he just showed how much of a takedown artist he can be without landing any gnp or attempting any subs.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 pm

I think Evans was just being smart to be fair. He can't really win though. He was winning fights and people started calling him boring. So he can't his style and started bashing people and then he got carried away and Machida schooled him. So he goes back to what works for him.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 am

I think you're spot on there Anfield.

I'm sure we will see Evans in some great fights in the future and also some dull ones that he's had to grind out aswell,but MMA is all about the win for the fighters,they have contracts to renew.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Anyone can be KO'd with a Knee to the Jaw!

Except Coté...

Anyway, Anfield has said it perfectly, Evans has a fantastic shot. Randy doesn't have a great shot, its about throwing, tripping, against the cage ect with him. Evans has some of the best takedowns in the LHW division, either him, Davis or Bader have the best shot. So with that in mind I think he beats Vera by taking him down and controlling him in route to a comfortable victory.

I don't, Vera is a good fighter but I don't rate him that highly. His biggest career win was over Frank Mir and this was the worst Frank Mir ever. He looked awful against Reese Andy, an average fighter at best (and to be fair thats being generous) a poor performance against Jardine. After that he beat Mike Patt who is one of the worst fighters to enter in the UFC. Coming off a loss to Boetch, there is no two ways about it, Patt is an absolute can. He looked ok against Kyrstof, but didn't do anything special. Krystof is an average to good fighter and Vera beat him because he was simply a better fighter, niether guy did much but Vera is just a better fighter and has more tools to use.

Personally I rate Jones, Bader and Davis higher, I think Jones will beat him by UD.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:20 pm