THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
Mryzyz
Ginginho
payneNglory1
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
19 posters

Football discussion

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Football discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Pogrebnyak would tear Tevez and Kompany and pretty much every premier league player a new asshole. Plus he's Eastern European so he's an instant tough guy. Cool

Football discussion - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPUEg2Ahp9991tFuBvsysUcV7zeLLpDC-1qDOqMGA4CsbAQqWB9VKH2Yo7_Q

Football discussion - Page 13 Pavel-Pogrebnyak

Football discussion - Page 13 Pog_1464576a

Tevez doesnt look all that tough at all, infact in terms of appearance and what we have seen on the pitch Tevez is a poor mans Gattuso.

And i really didnt fancy Gattuso's chances here at all lol!

Football discussion - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeFtT0xOwtButpslzihKlHDyUak4jq-IfkE0OSY2tPpERvFNXYBg
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm

What about Nemanja Vidic?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 16, 2012 11:35 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:What about Nemanja Vidic?

Big and slow, all bark and no bite.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

He's a brave boy though, elbowing Tevez and trying to pick a fight with Kompany. Kompany would tear him apart, whilst Tevez would absolutely slaughter him. Tevez is one man I wouldn't pick a fight with. Javier Mascherano is the only player in the world I'd like to fight less than Tevez.

What makes you think Mascherano is so much of a bad ass? Hes a small guy and he's not exactly built like a brick shithouse.

A footballer you wouldn't want to fight? How about this animal

Football discussion - Page 13 Article-2106285-11E83605000005DC-111_468x286

With a ridiculous set of muscles like that, combined with his notoriously slow feet when moving in anything other than a straight line, Elokobi is a dream fight.

Mascherano is an animal. Have you never heard the story about his first day at training in Brazil??
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 16, 2012 11:46 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:A few 'questionable' decisions by Woy regarding England.

Firstly, Gerrard captain? There's no doubting he is the most qualified to lead, but I question whether his season actually warrants a selection, never mind the captaincy, and with that, an automatic starting line up place.

He's a proven performer for England though so that doesn't bother me too much. HOWEVER...

John Ruddy in?

Glen Johnson in over Micah Richards?

Stewart Downing in over Adam Johnson?

Theo Walcott in? Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in?

Andy Carroll in over Daniel Sturridge?

Phil Jagielka not in, only in the backup squad?

Jordan Henderson in the backup squad?

Ruddy in is a great shout! He's been excellent this season. Who else was there in fairness.

Johnson has been first choice RB for a long time, you don't experiment just before a tournament. Richards will almost certainly replace him after the Euros.

Downing's had a poor season but at least he actually plays football on a regular basis. Adam Johnson is England's most over-rated player, can't even make the bench at City.

Walcott was always going. Ox-Cham is an excellent and very brave inclusion by Roy.

Carroll in is laughable. Sturridge has been poor for a lot of this season though so his exclusion is understandable.

Jagielka should clearly have been in over Jones who's another laughable pick.

Henderson being in the back-up squad is typical Roy.

As for Gerrard, he was always going to be captain for the Euros.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Tevez doesnt look all that tough at all, infact in terms of appearance and what we have seen on the pitch Tevez is a poor mans Gattuso.

Have you ever seen where Tevez grew up? Or heard the stories about him growing up and getting in regular knife fights? Or the fights he's had in training with players?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 17, 2012 12:11 am

Im not sure about leaving Sturridge out, Rooney suspension is really going to hit England hard as i dont really trust Carroll, Wellbeck and Defoe. And sturrdge is not all that great either. And i really dont rate Crouch but his record for England is amazing and its a joke that Carroll is in the squad he has been awful all this season except for sub appearance in final and game at Anfield against Chelsea. Even when he scored winner in semi against Everton he was awful there and and missed an absolute sitter.

Smalling would have been a much better option at RB but he's injured. Chamberlain looks good but i think he needs to get in better shape. He always looks dead tired midway in 2nd half and Wenger usually has to take him off every time he starts even when he's there best player. Should turn out to be a good player in future though i dont think he will feature much at all this tourny.

England's group is tougher than it looks, Ukraine and Sweden are no pushovers. And you never know with France they can go all the way if they show up.

Holland and Germany is probably were i will put money on, im edging for Holland. Especially if Sneijder is fit and in good form.

Spain are 5/2 and really not worth putting money on, i dont think they will win it anyway, Germany 7/2 is tempting, Holland 15/2 is AMAZING!!!!

You can also get Portugal 20/1 and Italy and France 14/1, so there could be money to made in this tourney. Infact if Spain and even Germany dont win there is alot of money to be made.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 17, 2012 12:13 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

Have you ever seen where Tevez grew up? Or heard the stories about him growing up and getting in regular knife fights? Or the fights he's had in training with players?

Yeah i know he grew up in bad neighbourhood as with many south americans in football now, You got links to specific stories? Especially what players he fought in training?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 am

Mascherano is an animal. Have you never heard the story about his first day at training in Brazil??.

Whats this story mate, havnt heard it? Smile
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 am

Some poor decisions from Woy I think. Either Crouch or Sturridge should have been in ahead of Carrol. Both players have their weaknesses and neither are that great but at least both can get goals. Both have had more productive seasons than Carrol.

Johnson over Richards is a truly laughable decision. Only in England. Johnson is a proven defensive frailty and doesn't offer as much as people think he does in attack. One goal and no assists this season proves how overrated he really is. Richards offers much more in both attack and defense and has been one of the most consistent players for the team that just won the Premier league. Awful decision and I'm sure Ribery is chuffed to bits right now. Hope Jones starts instead.

Downing in is a complete joke, what more does he have to do to avoid getting selected? Lennon would have been a far better choice, his pace could have been valuable. Other than that I would have taken Johnson, Jarvis, Dyer and Sinclair ahead of Downing.

Walcott is a good choice and I'm happy with the Ox as well, he's had a very good season with some terrific performances. Carrick probably deserved a spot in the side, he's passing could have been useful and he offers more than Barry.

Overall it's a pretty poor team, reaching the 1/4 finals should be the objective for this side. Don't think they have a hope of winning, especially since Parker is now a doubt. Our only chance is to play like Greece did in 2004 and hope all the big teams eliminate each other.

The side I would pick would be:

Hart

Jones
    Lescott/Cahill
    Terry
    Cole

Parker
    Lampard

Walcott/Ox
    Gerrard (c)
    Young

Rooney

Not sure what we are going to do without Rooney for the first two games. Our striking options are really just average which means both Gerrard and Lamps have to play otherwise where are the goals going to come from? I would play Defoe I guess because he has a proven track record but Woy will probably go for Carroll.

I think Spain will start as favorites but Germany have a fantastic side fully capable of upsetting them. The Dutch could win it as well but I think they lack defensively which could hurt them. France could be Dark horses but I think they'll struggle against the top teams and Italy are still rebuilding.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 5:32 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Some poor decisions from Woy I think. Either Crouch or Sturridge should have been in ahead of Carrol. Both players have their weaknesses and neither are that great but at least both can get goals. Both have had more productive seasons than Carrol.

Pfft.

John Terry scored more league goals than Carroll this year.

Djibril Cisse score more goals than Carroll this year.

The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

BUT

He still made your defense look like a bunch of little girls twice, so what does that say about John Terry?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Mascherano is an animal. Have you never heard the story about his first day at training in Brazil??.

Whats this story mate, havnt heard it? Smile

First day of training, him and Tevez are getting the cold shoulder because they'd played for Argentina against Brazil the year before and beaten them and Tevez had said something offensive about Brazil after the match. So the Corinthians players, none to impressed at these massively expensive Argies coming to take their places to begin with, start flying into tackles in training and giving Tevez in particular an awful kicking to the point where he has to be carried off the training pitch. Masch goes mental and decks one of the centre halves who was about 6'3(bare in mind he's about 5'Cool and the offers to fight anyone on the team there and then, two step forward Masch batters the pair of them. Proper batters, not a few slaps but kicks, headbutts etc. And then again offers it up to anyone else with a proper with him or Tevez, one at a time or all at once. Entire squad turned and walked away from him rather than challenge him after seeing three of their team-mates needing medical assistance after being stupid enough to stand up to him.

The chap is an animal. And he's got the eyes of a lunatic. Not to be messed with. Would always have him in my team though. Best DM in the world when he was at Liverpool.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 5:39 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

Im not sure about leaving Sturridge out, Rooney suspension is really going to hit England hard as i dont really trust Carroll, Wellbeck and Defoe. And sturrdge is not all that great either. And i really dont rate Crouch but his record for England is amazing and its a joke that Carroll is in the squad he has been awful all this season except for sub appearance in final and game at Anfield against Chelsea. Even when he scored winner in semi against Everton he was awful there and and missed an absolute sitter.

Smalling would have been a much better option at RB but he's injured. Chamberlain looks good but i think he needs to get in better shape. He always looks dead tired midway in 2nd half and Wenger usually has to take him off every time he starts even when he's there best player. Should turn out to be a good player in future though i dont think he will feature much at all this tourny.

England's group is tougher than it looks, Ukraine and Sweden are no pushovers. And you never know with France they can go all the way if they show up.

Holland and Germany is probably were i will put money on, im edging for Holland. Especially if Sneijder is fit and in good form.

Spain are 5/2 and really not worth putting money on, i dont think they will win it anyway, Germany 7/2 is tempting, Holland 15/2 is AMAZING!!!!

You can also get Portugal 20/1 and Italy and France 14/1, so there could be money to made in this tourney. Infact if Spain and even Germany dont win there is alot of money to be made.

England are going home early. Squad makes no difference. Woy has probably been told to just get them through the tournament and start from scratch afterwards with the next Euros as the aim.

Carroll destroyed the Chavs defense but in fairness, John Terry is shit. Carroll still found time to miss two complete sitters in the cup final, and two more at Anfield against them.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

Yeah i know he grew up in bad neighbourhood as with many south americans in football now, You got links to specific stories? Especially what players he fought in training?

There are very few neighbourhoods in the world that are as bad as the one he grew up in, in Ciudadela. Makes some of the parts of Rio that get so much press look like holiday camps at times.

Links? No. Just know the stories. He offered to fight tough guy Rooney in training after Rooney spat his dummy because Tevez tackled him a bit to forcefully in training and Rooney shoved him to the ground from behind. Rooney wanted no part of Tevez face to face. Scraps with team-mates at Boca and Corinthians are well known of though. He's a bit unhinged. Helped at Corinthians that he had Masch behind him and everyone was scared of him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Some poor decisions from Woy I think. Either Crouch or Sturridge should have been in ahead of Carrol. Both players have their weaknesses and neither are that great but at least both can get goals. Both have had more productive seasons than Carrol.

Pfft.

John Terry scored more league goals than Carroll this year.

Djibril Cisse score more goals than Carroll this year.

The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

BUT

He still made your defense look like a bunch of little girls twice, so what does that say about John Terry?

He nutmegged Terry Laughing Infact i think Terry also got destroyed by Suarez twice before that in the space of 5 mins.

Its shameful the Ferdinand got left out in place of Terry who is at fault with racist abuse and also in poor form. Ferdinand has been great with Evans the past few months.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

There are very few neighbourhoods in the world that are as bad as the one he grew up in, in Ciudadela. Makes some of the parts of Rio that get so much press look like holiday camps at times.

Links? No. Just know the stories. He offered to fight tough guy Rooney in training after Rooney spat his dummy because Tevez tackled him a bit to forcefully in training and Rooney shoved him to the ground from behind. Rooney wanted no part of Tevez face to face. Scraps with team-mates at Boca and Corinthians are well known of though. He's a bit unhinged. Helped at Corinthians that he had Masch behind him and everyone was scared of him.

I am pretty sure you are thinking of Ronaldo, him and Tevez were known to not get along in training on quite a few occasions.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 2:37 pm

No I'm not think of Ronaldo at all. It was Rooney, the man who struts around United's training ground acting like a hard man.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

He nutmegged Terry Laughing Infact i think Terry also got destroyed by Suarez twice before that in the space of 5 mins.

Its shameful the Ferdinand got left out in place of Terry who is at fault with racist abuse and also in poor form. Ferdinand has been great with Evans the past few months.

He did and Terry had to resort to what he's always resorted to, fouling. Getting nutmegged by Andy Carroll would be on par with getting knocked unconscious by Michael Bisping.

Suarez destroyed Terry all night long, had it been anyone other than Terry I'd have felt sorry for him. Suarez nutmegged him from about 3 yards away at one point.

Ferdinand deserved his place more than Terry, but neither should be in the squad. Jagielka deserved the place more than either of them.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu May 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Looks like Martinez for Liverpool. I think that would be a cracking appointment TBH.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Looks like Martinez for Liverpool. I think that would be a cracking appointment TBH.

I think he's a great manager. But i've a feeling that it could be Roy Hodgson all over again to be honest.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Looks like Martinez for Liverpool. I think that would be a cracking appointment TBH.

I think he's a great manager. But i've a feeling that it could be Roy Hodgson all over again to be honest.

Not convinced dude. Martinez has always had his teams playing attractive football, think that that could be a huge deciding factor, in how the fans receive him. There's always the chance that he could fail, but I think that, given a little bit of time, he could bring league performances back to Anfield.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Not convinced dude. Martinez has always had his teams playing attractive football, think that that could be a huge deciding factor, in how the fans receive him. There's always the chance that he could fail, but I think that, given a little bit of time, he could bring league performances back to Anfield.

True, he should be given a chance I suppose. It's quite a big step up though,...would hate to see it go balls up, cuz I like the guy. The job he did keeping Wigan up was phenomenal.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 pm

He did a great job at Swansea as well,he turned them into the best footballing team in league 1` and the championship.

If I was a Liverpool fan,I'd be happy if he took over as manager.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 am

He's one of a minimum of five people that will be interviewed. We've spoken to AVB and will do so again, we've asked for permission to speak to Brendan Rodgers and will be asking about others.

Martinez is still very much an outside bet for the job.

He'll be a good appointment IF Txiki Bergiristain picks him. If it's someone else picking him and working with him as Director of Football then it will be much harder for him.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 am

As a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be happy with Martinez being appointed manager. Sure he did well to keep Wigan up by playing attractive football, but he also got them into the position where they were in deep trouble, including losing 8 games in a row!!! I just feel that it would be Hodgson all over again.

I would have liked to have seen Benitez stay on and work with the new owners but I don't know if going back to him now would be a great idea either.

It's pretty sad that finishing 4th in the League is considered better than winning a trophy, no matter what it is.....

As I am a glory-hunting Liverpool supporter from the 80's (as my best friends dad from Manchester (United) told me way back then) I don't know why I don't just start wearing sky blue and learning the words to Blue Moon.....

Nah, fuck that!!! YNWA

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm