THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
Sheldan
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
thebadgersbits
Cowboys From Hell
manschesthair_utd
16 posters

Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans" - Page 3 Empty Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:47 pm

You haters are hilarious.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans" - Page 3 Empty Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 pm

efils_god wrote:Did the Korean Zombie check on Hominick after he KO'd him? I seem to remember he was up on the side of the ring celebrating. Same for Mir. But there is no backlash for them or any of the other numerous fighters who forget/don't do it. Obviously it would have been ideal for him to check, but he is far from the first to not check immediately. I don't get the backlash.

People just want a reason to hate Jones.

Hominick stood up straight after the fight was stopped, it was obvious he was ok, and then the Zombie did walk over and check on him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:You haters are hilarious.

You bandwagon jumpers are too.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Yeah a 24 yr old kid, adrenaline pumping from another huge win of his career, gets told by one of most respected coach in all of MMA to go do something is really about to say "no i dont like that piss drinking fag".

Actually from that video, it suggests that Bones went on his own accord on his own free time and didnt hear what Jackson was saying at all. Jackson kept kept repeating himself over and over, even when Bones already went to Lyoto. (Not like it matters anyway)

The fact that people are finding such an issue with this, goes to show you how much hurt and upset they are at his success, talent and style of Bones. And him embarrasing a couple of Pride legends is more salt to the wound.

"I dont like him because i think he's a phony" lol. Its amazing what MMA fans can get reduced to when their favourite fighters get squashed or get proven time and time again their whole assesment of how good Bones is as far from truth as possible.

The video doesn't suggest that AT ALL. What utter bullshit.

His "talent" has little to do with his wins, his size and strength advantage are what's winning him fights. Let's see him go fight men his own size and see how he does. HW division is where he belongs, he's struggle to be top 8 at HW.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:59 pm

thebadgersbits wrote:I have said this before that jones is basically a heavy that can comfortably cut down to lhw . To me his whole personna is nothing but boring ,i have nothing against watching him fight but i do think he does nothing different than what you see in any muay thai fight albeit he does it worse.
    Its all dowwn to the UFC overhyping him and if jones has any balls he will go into his true weight division .As for finishing his fights has he actually knocked anyone out with a punch or kick ???
    He full on twatted shogun in the face with his knee and it still took him about another 7 minutes to finish him .
    When he clears up the lhw which he will start chucking him in with guys like kongo see how that goes !!

Exactly. He's a HW beating LHW's due to size and strength. Let's see him beat ANYONE at HW.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:

Nope, I'm not a 'bandwagon jumper', I don't even really care for Jones that much if I'm honest, it's undeniable how good a fighter the guy is however, nice try though.

Also it's nice of you to admit you're just hating on him Smile
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Also this HW thing is nonsense too.

Just because he has a reach advantage doesn't make him a heavyweight. He has never had an issue making 205, so why should he move up? Are you saying that anyone who cuts any weight should not do so? I reckon people like Forrest are actually cutting more than Jones to make LHW, but Jones only wins because he is bigger? Bullshit.

Obviously his length is a great advantage, but there are many other fighters with reach advantages who are not doing what he has done, not even close. He's clearly very talented, but for some reason, even after all these wins, it's disputed on this forum. It's pretty pertinent that EVERYONE who is arguing this stuff actively dislikes Jones, and others who either like him or are impartial have a much more sensible outlook.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

Yeah a 24 yr old kid, adrenaline pumping from another huge win of his career, gets told by one of most respected coach in all of MMA to go do something is really about to say "no i dont like that piss drinking fag".

Actually from that video, it suggests that Bones went on his own accord on his own free time and didnt hear what Jackson was saying at all. Jackson kept kept repeating himself over and over, even when Bones already went to Lyoto. (Not like it matters anyway)

The fact that people are finding such an issue with this, goes to show you how much hurt and upset they are at his success, talent and style of Bones. And him embarrasing a couple of Pride legends is more salt to the wound.

"I dont like him because i think he's a phony" lol. Its amazing what MMA fans can get reduced to when their favourite fighters get squashed or get proven time and time again their whole assesment of how good Bones is as far from truth as possible.

His "talent" has little to do with his wins, his size and strength advantage are what's winning him fights. Let's see him go fight men his own size and see how he does. HW division is where he belongs, he's struggle to be top 8 at HW.

Horseshit as usuall, i suppose all 6'4 athletic untalented guys would choke the shit out of Machida like that. Try harder.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:21 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

Nope, I'm not a 'bandwagon jumper', I don't even really care for Jones that much if I'm honest, it's undeniable how good a fighter the guy is however, nice try though.

Also it's nice of you to admit you're just hating on him Smile

I also dont get their mindset at all, so they dont like him cos they think he's a phony and really tall and strong and boring. Like we're supposed to care??

Buthurt MMA fans are the funniest.

thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm

I dont hate him my opinion is cant sit and watch any interview with him with bloody bores me .watching hie fights no issue win nor lose but like many boxers/fighters if they clear a division out then he has to seriously think about moving to heavy .If he does move to heavy lets be honest he's gonna get knocked the fuck out so i think he will sit in the lhw and take easy money .
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.

Mike Tyson has serious mental issues, everyone knows that. You only need to look at what he overcame in life to see why he ended up the way he did. It's part of the reason people view him the way they do. He also saved the sport of boxing by coming along when he did.

Ali was entertaining, likeable and deserving of the hype. He again overcame a lot of things in life, was the victim of staggering racism and made a huge impact on the world for the stance he took on some of the most important events in history.

Compare the lives and careers of those two men to Jon Jones.

Now consider that his level of arrogance is almost on a par with Ali's at his peak despite not having accomplished a fraction of what Ali did.

I suppose the mental issues Tyson can excuse some of his behavior and yes I do agree he had a tough life. Ali on the other hand wasn't even a closet racist, he was actually a fairly open racist and I believe was part of a racist group. Again I know he had a tough life and suffered from racism but at the same time he was meant to be a role model to the black community. He was no more racially abused than nearly every other black person at the time time. Most of them dealt with it a lot better than he did.

Sure both Tyson's and Ali's lives were much harder and yes they have accomplished a lot more then Jones but at the same time he hasn't done nearly anything as bad as either of them. He is just arrogant, there are plenty of arrogant people in sports. He can be a bit of a dick but come on, just have a look at some of your favorite fighters. Sonnen, Parysian and Diaz for example.

Sonnen is the most entertaining fighter in the sport. I like Karo because he's a Judoka, I'm the first to say he's a dick. You just don't like Diaz because he made GSP cry.

There's nobody as arrogant as Jones who has accomplished so little and hasn't been since Prince Naz. He was also a complete cock.

I think you should have a little look back at what Ali was subjected to. Why was he meant to be a role model? And who says he wasn't? Racist group? He was a member of The Nation of Islam! Again, have a look into them, you might understand a bit better why they acted the way they did. Malcolm X was also a member of the nation of Islam, was he a racist? Ali wasn't a racist. Don't make silly comments.

Sonnen being the most entertaining fighter in the sport is your opinion. It wasn't the long ago you were calling him a boring dryhumper and that a fight between Sonnen vs Fitch would be the most boring fight ever. Liking Karo because his style is complete bias, and same goes for Sonnen being exciting. Just because you like there styles doesn't mean they aren't dicks. I've always liked watching Diaz, never disliked him. I love to watch him fight and I've always said he is one of the most entertaining fighters in the world. But he is a dick never the less.

Nobody as arrogant as Jones who has accomplished so little? Are you forgetting your boy Bisping? Jones has achieved quite a lot for the short time in the sport.

Again what Ali was subjected to was awful but it was no different to most black people of the time and I'm fairly certain the likes of MLK and Mandela had to go through worse. He was a role model because he had so many people look up to him and he wasn't because he made racist statements. The nation of Islam is a Scientology-like religion and they believe the white man was made by some evil scientist. Look it up. It includes the likes of Louis Farrahkan. Malcom X was a racist for a while before he changed his views after he left the nation of Islam and converted to the more prominent form of Islam. He then ended up getting killed by Elijah Muhammed who guess what was a remember of the NOI! He killed Malcom X because he left. You should also know that the NOI actually worked with white supremacist's and Nazi's because of there shared hatred for Jews. I don't know for how long Ali had the views he did but for at least one period in his life he was a racist and I have quotes to prove it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm

efils_god wrote:Also this HW thing is nonsense too.

Just because he has a reach advantage doesn't make him a heavyweight. He has never had an issue making 205, so why should he move up? Are you saying that anyone who cuts any weight should not do so? I reckon people like Forrest are actually cutting more than Jones to make LHW, but Jones only wins because he is bigger? Bullshit.

Obviously his length is a great advantage, but there are many other fighters with reach advantages who are not doing what he has done, not even close. He's clearly very talented, but for some reason, even after all these wins, it's disputed on this forum. It's pretty pertinent that EVERYONE who is arguing this stuff actively dislikes Jones, and others who either like him or are impartial have a much more sensible outlook.

Forrest is not as big as Jon Jones.

There is NOBODY in MMA with the type of reach advantage Jon Jones has at LHW. Nobody even comes close.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

Horseshit as usuall, i suppose all 6'4 athletic untalented guys would choke the shit out of Machida like that. Try harder.

If he wasn't 6'4 he wouldn't have been able to choke him. Let's see him choke out a HW the season size as him.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:08 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.

Mike Tyson has serious mental issues, everyone knows that. You only need to look at what he overcame in life to see why he ended up the way he did. It's part of the reason people view him the way they do. He also saved the sport of boxing by coming along when he did.

Ali was entertaining, likeable and deserving of the hype. He again overcame a lot of things in life, was the victim of staggering racism and made a huge impact on the world for the stance he took on some of the most important events in history.

Now consider that his level of arrogance is almost on a par with Ali's at his peak despite not having accomplished a fraction of what Ali did.

I suppose the mental issues Tyson can excuse some of his behavior and yes I do agree he had a tough life. Ali on the other hand wasn't even a closet racist, he was actually a fairly open racist and I believe was part of a racist group. Again I know he had a tough life and suffered from racism but at the same time he was meant to be a role model to the black community. He was no more racially abused than nearly every other black person at the time time. Most of them dealt with it a lot better than he did.

Sure both Tyson's and Ali's lives were much harder and yes they have accomplished a lot more then Jones but at the same time he hasn't done nearly anything as bad as either of them. He is just arrogant, there are plenty of arrogant people in sports. He can be a bit of a dick but come on, just have a look at some of your favorite fighters. Sonnen, Parysian and Diaz for example.

Sonnen is the most entertaining fighter in the sport. I like Karo because he's a Judoka, I'm the first to say he's a dick. You just don't like Diaz because he made GSP cry.

There's nobody as arrogant as Jones who has accomplished so little and hasn't been since Prince Naz. He was also a complete cock.

I think you should have a little look back at what Ali was subjected to. Why was he meant to be a role model? And who says he wasn't? Racist group? He was a member of The Nation of Islam! Again, have a look into them, you might understand a bit better why they acted the way they did. Malcolm X was also a member of the nation of Islam, was he a racist? Ali wasn't a racist. Don't make silly comments.

Sonnen being the most entertaining fighter in the sport is your opinion. It wasn't the long ago you were calling him a boring dryhumper and that a fight between Sonnen vs Fitch would be the most boring fight ever. Liking Karo because his style is complete bias, and same goes for Sonnen being exciting. Just because you like there styles doesn't mean they aren't dicks. I've always liked watching Diaz, never disliked him. I love to watch him fight and I've always said he is one of the most entertaining fighters in the world. But he is a dick never the less.

Nobody as arrogant as Jones who has accomplished so little? Are you forgetting your boy Bisping? Jones has achieved quite a lot for the short time in the sport.

Again what Ali was subjected to was awful but it was no different to most black people of the time and I'm fairly certain the likes of MLK and Mandela had to go through worse. He was a role model because he had so many people look up to him and he wasn't because he made racist statements. The nation of Islam is a Scientology-like religion and they believe the white man was made by some evil scientist. Look it up. It includes the likes of Louis Farrahkan. Malcom X was a racist for a while before he changed his views after he left the nation of Islam and converted to the more prominent form of Islam. He then ended up getting killed by Elijah Muhammed who guess what was a remember of the NOI! He killed Malcom X because he left. You should also know that the NOI actually worked with white supremacist's and Nazi's because of there shared hatred for Jews. I don't know for how long Ali had the views he did but for at least one period in his life he was a racist and I have quotes to prove it.

Liking Karo because of his style is complete bias?? What are you talking about? I've said dozens of times that Karo is a dickhead. I'm the first to say it. Fight between Sonnen and Fitch would be boring. Almost as boring as watching GSP fight or listening to Jon Jones talk. Sonnen is still the most entertaining fighter in MMA. Nobody gives better interviews, nobody sells fights better. Why is Diaz a dick? Because he made GSP cry? Because he forced GSP to stop ducking him?

Michael Bisping, good point, but he doesn't do fake things though, doesn't refer to himself as "a god", doesn't thank god for victories BEFORE the fight.

I really really suggest that you go and do some research on Malcolm X, Ali and the Nation of Islam because that's quite an embarrassing spew you've come up with there.

Malcolm X "left" the NOI because they were throwing him out. He'd been suspended and was no longer authorized to act on their behalf. He left to save face.

"Malcolm X was a racist for a time". Because he was a member of the Nation of Islam? Stupid statement. Even if Malcolm X was a racist - which he wasn't, having your father murdered by a group of white people and your uncle lynched by another group of whites, might drive a person to racism.

You're "fairly certain" that MLK put up with worse? Rubbish. Mandela was in South Africa, different world over there.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Who says you have to like jon jones anyway ??? Just because someone is good at something dont mean you have to like them . Manc yooooo are good at footy but dont mean i have to like them .
    Jon jones will have to look at moving to heavy at some point in the future e.g like david haye at cruiserweioght ,pacman and maywether etc.That will be the making of him in my opinion if he maoves to heavy in 18 months time and maintains his performances.
    As for diaz i think he is a cock but you cant knock him for creating havoc where ever he goes . Look at the daley vs diaz weigh in it nigh on kicked off brilliant imo.

Gsp and jones about as much personality as a lump of shit good fighters yes ,boring yes .

BTw when did gsp cry?? Have i issed something?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

Liking Karo because of his style is complete bias?? What are you talking about? I've said dozens of times that Karo is a dickhead. I'm the first to say it. Fight between Sonnen and Fitch would be boring. Almost as boring as watching GSP fight or listening to Jon Jones talk. Sonnen is still the most entertaining fighter in MMA. Nobody gives better interviews, nobody sells fights better. Why is Diaz a dick? Because he made GSP cry? Because he forced GSP to stop ducking him?

Michael Bisping, good point, but he doesn't do fake things though, doesn't refer to himself as "a god", doesn't thank god for victories BEFORE the fight.

I really really suggest that you go and do some research on Malcolm X, Ali and the Nation of Islam because that's quite an embarrassing spew you've come up with there.

Malcolm X "left" the NOI because they were throwing him out. He'd been suspended and was no longer authorized to act on their behalf. He left to save face.

"Malcolm X was a racist for a time". Because he was a member of the Nation of Islam? Stupid statement. Even if Malcolm X was a racist - which he wasn't, having your father murdered by a group of white people and your uncle lynched by another group of whites, might drive a person to racism.

You're "fairly certain" that MLK put up with worse? Rubbish. Mandela was in South Africa, different world over there.

Ok fair enough on Karo but my point is you don't give Karo nearly as much shit as you give Jones. Sonnen is a very entertaining fighter but a huge part of that is because he's a dick. The way he ripped into a Brazil, one of the worlds fastest developing countries and economies made him sound like a redneck. GSP ducking Diaz? Oh please, it was just a few days ago you were saying that GSP was the only fighter who was legitimately injured and that Jones and Silva were ducking people. Diaz is a dick because he he misses important events when it benefits him and puts his org in trouble, he threw a shoe at Sanchez, attacked Riggs in the hospital, throwing a bottle at an old man and starting a brawl with Mayhem. Plus all the taunting and swearing towards his opponent. Sounds quite dickish to me.

Jones calls himself a god? He can't be all that religious then, because I'm sure that's a sin according to the bible. Bisping doesn't do fake things but he spits at corner men and actually during the TUF season with Hendo he was always like "one to us" after the fights were picked.

Look up everything I've said, it's true.

Muhamed Ali- "We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man; that's all."

"You're my enemy. My enemy is the white people!"

"You got the white racists who believe in separation such as I believe: One day the black people of America must go to self, clean up self, help self, do for self. I recognize [the white racists]."

"Black and white are disagreeable in peace, they can't get along together… Worked 400 years, 16 hours a day from sun up to sun down, without a payday, that we should now be repaid. Don't give us nuttn and give us or repay us: You got 50 states and we make up 10% of the population then divide up 10% of the land… Now that we're no longer slaves and we can't get along just let me go and live by myself."

Martin Luther on Muhammad Ali:
    "When Cassius Clay joined the Black Muslims he became a champion of the racial segregation and that is what we are fighting against."

The Nation Of Islam

"The original black race of man is superior, especially to the white man.
    Yakub (a scientist from 6600 years ago) is responsible for creating the white race, a "race of devils".
    Allah who came in the person of W. D. Fard Muhammad (founder of the Nation of Islam, pronounced Farad), and the 24 Black scientists that selected him to be God. The 24 Black scientists (or 24 Black elders) have the supernatural ability to write the history of the universe.
    The Honorable Elijah Muhammad told us of a giant Mother Plane that is made like the universe, spheres within spheres. White people call them UFOs… It took $15 billion in gold at that time to build it. It is made of the toughest steel… Because of its circular nature it can stop and travel in all directions at speeds of thousands of miles per hour."

They are considered racists and a hate group by several antifa groups.

Malcom X

First of all I 100% agree that Malcom X had some what of a good reason to be racist because of all the shit he went through. But for atleast a period of his life he was racist. "if you find a good white man, kill him before he turns bad". He later changed his views and became the man he was known today. This isn't a knock on Malcom X btw, any man would have held his views after what he went through. There are plenty of famous men out there, some considered to be peace keepers who had a dark side.

He was then killed by the NOI.

"Malcolm X's expressed beliefs changed substantially over time. As a spokesman for the Nation of Islam he taught black supremacy and advocated separation of black and white Americans—in contrast to the civil rights movement's emphasis on integration. After breaking with the Nation of Islam in 1964—saying of his association with it, "I was a zombie then ... pointed in a certain direction and told to march""

I'm not actually sure whether or not he left or was kicked out, but the NOI had a grudge towards him either way and ended up ordering his murder.

Black people in South Africa were treated the worse out of anywhere, different world yes. But a harsher one. As far as I'm aware Mandela never had a racist bone in his body.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    efils_god wrote:Also this HW thing is nonsense too.

Forrest is not as big as Jon Jones.

There is NOBODY in MMA with the type of reach advantage Jon Jones has at LHW. Nobody even comes close.

I don't mean reach advantage i just mean in terms of actual weight. Having a huge reach doesn't mean you should move up, especially if you are easily making weight, alot easier than some others. He is a freak of nature but for now LHW is his natural fighting weight for sure.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:42 pm

You know what Jones reminds a bit of Paul Williams Super talented but is/was using his size & reach to dominate smaller men at WW I think It is understandable why people (including myself) want to see him at Heavyweight as talented as he is would his size, reach & grappling be such an advantage against bigger men personally this really intrigues me.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

i know the discussion has moved on from the original topic but wow...are you guys being dense? (red etc etc)

I dont care if Jones is arrogant.
    I dont care if he let his opponent slump lifelessly to the ground and mocked him.
    I dont care if he checks on his opponent or not.
    I dont care if Mike Tyson is a rapist.

It just gets under my skin that Jackson and Jones would feign concern over an opponent, in order to change my opinion of them under false pretences. I don't appreciate being conned and deceived, these guys behavior in this case is despicable in my opinion.(mainly Jackson)
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Just as Jon Jones was caught up in the moment following his submission win over Lyoto Machida, so too was trainer Greg Jackson when he told his fighter to "go check on Lyoto – get some fans."

"I shouldn't have spoken in that way, but that wasn't my intention," Jackson today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It sounded bad, but moronic [expletive] comes out of my mouth sometimes."

The intention, he said, wasn't to be political but to remind Jones to conduct himself honorably inside the cage.

"What I was saying was, 'Go check on Lyoto,' what I meant was to remember that you're a public figure," Jackson said. "There's always attention on you and what you're doing all the time, and there's cage etiquette. There's things you're supposed to do, and going and checking on somebody is what you're supposed to do.

"And now because I'm in military mode and in shorthand mode, I say, 'Jon, go check on Lyoto and go get some fans,' and what I should have said was, 'You're a public figure. There's a way to conduct yourself.' But instead, I shorthanded it."

Light-heavyweight champ Jones (15-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) submitted Machida (17-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) with a modified guillotine choke in the second round in the headliner of this past Saturday's UFC 140 event, which took place at Air Canada Centre in Toronto and aired live on pay-per-view.

There are several unwritten rules between fighters and camps when it comes to the time before, during and after fights inside the octagon. One of the most well-recognized is the act of shaking hands with the opposing fighter and his coaches. But frequently when an injury takes place during a fight, or there is a particularly devastating stoppage, a fighter is seen attending to his downed opponent as medical officials tend to him.  

In most cases, fighters are seen embracing as the official decision is announced inside the cage.

While Jackson's words implied a certain lack of care from Jones toward Machida, he said that isn't the case.

"That's the point I want to drive home," Jackson said. "Jon is a really good guy. Everybody is just attacking his character because that's what you have to attack when you can't attack somebody's fighting.

"It's not that he was a bad guy. You just literally go crazy. None of these guys outside of the cage could understand that after the fight, you're in the zone, man. It's such an intense camp, especially for Jon, month after month, fight after fight.

"Let's take B.J. Penn for an example. He's actually a really nice guy; he walks around licking blood off his gloves all the time. Chuck Liddell is one of the sweetest, nicest guys you'll ever meet, but when he knocks you unconscious, he runs around screaming and pumping his arms. That's not normal behavior. So my job with Jon is to remind him. When the referee said break, he broke, and then he was still there in that zone. I was like, 'Now, it's time to relax and calm down and check on the guy.' I should have said, 'Remember your public figure.' But like I say, 'Go get some Donald Cerrone,' I said, 'Go get some fans.'"

But as Jackson has become accustomed to during his time as a trainer to world-class fighters, he said his words and actions are frequently misinterpreted.

"So it's just a matter of time before everyone gets mad at me again," Jackson joked.

The silver lining, of course, is the performance of his fighter, who defended his belt for the second time in his fourth performance of this year. While Jones' struggled with Machida and appeared flustered in the first round, he took complete control in the second after taking the former champ to the ground and opening a cut with an elbow. After rocking Machida with a punch late in the frame, he seized upon a choke and put the Brazilian out cold.

"Machida came in with a great plan; he was trying to interrupt Jon's strikes in between what I call a 'heaviola' style of fighting," Jackson said "You put a note in between the notes, where every time they go to do something, you interrupt them. That was a brilliant, brilliant tactic. It worked very well for him.

'[Jones] got hit a few times really hard. He showed that he had a great jaw. He got kind of flustered and confused for a little bit and was able to bring it back and reconnect with everything. He got tested and he passed the test. I was so proud of him for that."
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:i know the discussion has moved on from the original topic but wow...are you guys being dense? (red etc etc)

I dont care if Jones is arrogant.
    I dont care if he let his opponent slump lifelessly to the ground and mocked him.
    I dont care if he checks on his opponent or not.
    I dont care if Mike Tyson is a rapist.

It just gets under my skin that Jackson and Jones would feign concern over an opponent, in order to change my opinion of them under false pretences. I don't appreciate being conned and deceived, these guys behavior in this case is despicable in my opinion.(mainly Jackson)

I don't care if he is arrogant, he has destroyed everyone he has fought. Plus it's only a perception of arrogant. I don't think he really is personally, he just believes in himself.

When did he mock him?

Why werent you so up in arms when Christian Morecraft dropped Sean McCorkle?
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am

I don't particularly like Jones but I do think people are starting to dig for reasons to discredit him. He's had a flawless year and he's only getting better.

It seems kind of assinine to try to undermine Jones' wins because of his size. He probably wouldn't be so successful if not for his build, but would Fedor have been successful without his incredible speed? Would GSP have been so dominant if he wasn't so explosive? Would Nog have won so many fights without his chin?

All great fighters have natural physical advantages in certain areas, some are maybe more advantageous than others but it's not fair to discredit one fighters whilst praising anothers.

Furthermore, there's a ton of MMA fighters who have a long reach who never learn to use it properly. Jones has atleast learned how to fight with what he has.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 am

thebadgersbits wrote:Who says you have to like jon jones anyway ??? Just because someone is good at something dont mean you have to like them . Manc yooooo are good at footy but dont mean i have to like them .
    Jon jones will have to look at moving to heavy at some point in the future e.g like david haye at cruiserweioght ,pacman and maywether etc.That will be the making of him in my opinion if he maoves to heavy in 18 months time and maintains his performances.
    As for diaz i think he is a cock but you cant knock him for creating havoc where ever he goes . Look at the daley vs diaz weigh in it nigh on kicked off brilliant imo.

Gsp and jones about as much personality as a lump of shit good fighters yes ,boring yes .

BTw when did gsp cry?? Have i issed something?

When Nick Diaz called him a coward.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 am

sunthunder wrote:I don't particularly like Jones but I do think people are starting to dig for reasons to discredit him. He's had a flawless year and he's only getting better.

It seems kind of assinine to try to undermine Jones' wins because of his size. He probably wouldn't be so successful if not for his build, but would Fedor have been successful without his incredible speed? Would GSP have been so dominant if he wasn't so explosive? Would Nog have won so many fights without his chin?

All great fighters have natural physical advantages in certain areas, some are maybe more advantageous than others but it's not fair to discredit one fighters whilst praising anothers.

Furthermore, there's a ton of MMA fighters who have a long reach who never learn to use it properly. Jones has atleast learned how to fight with what he has.

Fedor fought men much bigger than him. GSP and Nog fought men their own size. None purposely fought below their real weight class against much smaller men. They all beat men based on pure skill and talent.

Nobody has ever had the type of reach or size advantage that Jones has at LHW other than Semmy Schilt.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:12 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:I don't particularly like Jones but I do think people are starting to dig for reasons to discredit him. He's had a flawless year and he's only getting better.

Fedor fought men much bigger than him. GSP and Nog fought men their own size. None purposely fought below their real weight class against much smaller men. They all beat men based on pure skill and talent.

Nobody has ever had the type of reach or size advantage that Jones has at LHW other than Semmy Schilt.

If he can cut to 205 easily without issue then he's a light heavyweight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:49 pm