The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news


    Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Share
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:59 pm

    People love Tyson because he was a 5'9 animal going in and destroying much bigger men with a style that nobody had seen before and it was exciting to watch. Jones' style isn't nearly as exciting and he's fighting men much small than him. Jones is more Semmy Schilt than Tyson.


    I have no issue with Jones letting go of Machida like that, my issue is with Big John not putting his arms around Machida before Jones let go. The fact that Jones turned his right shoulder in and may have impeded Big John isn't really relevant because I doubt it was done on purpose, although you never know.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:00 pm

    2brutal wrote:Jones says that winklejohn rekons bones could have a better jab than mohammed ali

    Both are delusional. But Ali's jab was never the greatest anyway. You want a jab look at Larry Holmes.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:01 pm

    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:The people who're upset about the way Machida fell and actually blame Jones are retarded. So what he didn't gently lay him down like he was putting his childen to bed, the ref (was it Big John?) let Lyoto slip right through his hands!



    Imagine last nights card was shown live on Fox, what would the backlash be like? We had a 7 second KO, a dodgy decision, an anticlimactic body blow KO, and two horribly gruesome submissions!!

    I agree that it's the ref responsibility, the only excuse he has is that the way Jones turned to walk away actually blocked him from getting to Machida.
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:03 pm

    i dont know why red and pete have mentioned about him dropping Lyoto...i didnt hear anyone bashing him for that. Yes he could have put him down nicely, but that is McCarthy's job.

    Nick Diaz is rude and offensive but it doesnt bother me- thats just him.

    Greg Jackson and Jon Jones making a conscious attempt to deceive me and the rest of the UFC watchers into liking Jon, by pretending to care about Machida [thats the key part]...well it really gets under my skin.

    I used to think he was just annoying trainer of point fighters, but now on I have a very dim view of Greg Jackson. He has no integrity to speak of.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 pm

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    2brutal wrote:Jones says that winklejohn rekons bones could have a better jab than mohammed ali

    Both are delusional. But Ali's jab was never the greatest anyway. You want a jab look at Larry Holmes.

    Who is winklejohn? Jones doesn't even have the best jab in mma, weird comment.
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 pm

    Yes it was very poor refereeing from Big John, Machida couldve seriously injured himself had he fallen more awkwardly!
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:10 pm

    I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

    To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.

    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 pm

    rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    2brutal wrote:Jones says that winklejohn rekons bones could have a better jab than mohammed ali

    Both are delusional. But Ali's jab was never the greatest anyway. You want a jab look at Larry Holmes.

    Who is winklejohn? Jones doesn't even have the best jab in mma, weird comment.

    You know that muppet striking coach that works with jackson's fighters.

    This clown - http://jacksons.tv/index.php/jacksonsmma-coaches/coach-mike-winkeljohn
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:23 pm

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

    To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.


    Mike Tyson has serious mental issues, everyone knows that. You only need to look at what he overcame in life to see why he ended up the way he did. It's part of the reason people view him the way they do. He also saved the sport of boxing by coming along when he did.

    Ali was entertaining, likeable and deserving of the hype. He again overcame a lot of things in life, was the victim of staggering racism and made a huge impact on the world for the stance he took on some of the most important events in history.


    Compare the lives and careers of those two men to Jon Jones.

    Now consider that his level of arrogance is almost on a par with Ali's at his peak despite not having accomplished a fraction of what Ali did.
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Sheldan on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 am

    Am I missing something here? Why does Greg Jackson telling Jones to do that make Jones the dick? By all means you can have a go at Jackson for saying something like that, but why is Jones at fault for Jackson saying that? This just looks like people clutching at straws in an attempt to try and justify a valid reason for hating Jones.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 am

    Jones is a dick. Has nothing to do with this incident.
    avatar
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

    Posts : 308
    Join date : 2011-01-25
    Location : Leeds UK

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  superman_punch on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 am

    The love for Jones grows daily. So who's bandwagon is everyone gonna jump on now in the hope they beat Jones? Hendo/Rashad? It may be very hard for some to see him beating these 2 BUT IF he does is it upto HW cos no one at LHW has come close to stopping him.

    As far as the fans comment by Greg Jackson I couldn't care less whether people love him or hate him. The guys fights are always exciting and more often than not end in finishes.
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:26 am

    Totally agree with the guys blaming Jackson for this incident! It isn't Jones' fault. I personally think Jones is very exciting to watch, and I have him number 3 p4p. Anyone else? I'm very much aboard the Jones bandwagon, in fact I have been since he beat Shogun, and now Jackson and Machida?! This kid will not be beaten at LHW imo.
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 am

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

    To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.


    Mike Tyson has serious mental issues, everyone knows that. You only need to look at what he overcame in life to see why he ended up the way he did. It's part of the reason people view him the way they do. He also saved the sport of boxing by coming along when he did.

    Ali was entertaining, likeable and deserving of the hype. He again overcame a lot of things in life, was the victim of staggering racism and made a huge impact on the world for the stance he took on some of the most important events in history.


    Compare the lives and careers of those two men to Jon Jones.

    Now consider that his level of arrogance is almost on a par with Ali's at his peak despite not having accomplished a fraction of what Ali did.

    I suppose the mental issues Tyson can excuse some of his behavior and yes I do agree he had a tough life. Ali on the other hand wasn't even a closet racist, he was actually a fairly open racist and I believe was part of a racist group. Again I know he had a tough life and suffered from racism but at the same time he was meant to be a role model to the black community. He was no more racially abused than nearly every other black person at the time time. Most of them dealt with it a lot better than he did.

    Sure both Tyson's and Ali's lives were much harder and yes they have accomplished a lot more then Jones but at the same time he hasn't done nearly anything as bad as either of them. He is just arrogant, there are plenty of arrogant people in sports. He can be a bit of a dick but come on, just have a look at some of your favorite fighters. Sonnen, Parysian and Diaz for example.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 am

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I see what Ben is saying though. Tyson was a rapist who bit people's ear off and threatened to eat children and Ali was most likely a closet racist and they were still loved. It's not just boxing either, people seem to forget people's flaws just because they are exciting to watch. Look at Michael Jackson, he was widely accused of being a pedo and still is one of the most loved men ever.

    To me this sounds like Jackson's doing. Jackson told him what to say and I agree with Chesty it is disgusting to pretend to care on some one to make some fans. That's Joseph Stalin's trademark. But blame it one Jackson not Jones. Jackson has got his reputation from training fighters who were always destined to be great. If anything he along with Tri-star made GSP worse by taking out his finishing ability.


    Mike Tyson has serious mental issues, everyone knows that. You only need to look at what he overcame in life to see why he ended up the way he did. It's part of the reason people view him the way they do. He also saved the sport of boxing by coming along when he did.

    Ali was entertaining, likeable and deserving of the hype. He again overcame a lot of things in life, was the victim of staggering racism and made a huge impact on the world for the stance he took on some of the most important events in history.


    Compare the lives and careers of those two men to Jon Jones.

    Now consider that his level of arrogance is almost on a par with Ali's at his peak despite not having accomplished a fraction of what Ali did.

    I suppose the mental issues Tyson can excuse some of his behavior and yes I do agree he had a tough life. Ali on the other hand wasn't even a closet racist, he was actually a fairly open racist and I believe was part of a racist group. Again I know he had a tough life and suffered from racism but at the same time he was meant to be a role model to the black community. He was no more racially abused than nearly every other black person at the time time. Most of them dealt with it a lot better than he did.

    Sure both Tyson's and Ali's lives were much harder and yes they have accomplished a lot more then Jones but at the same time he hasn't done nearly anything as bad as either of them. He is just arrogant, there are plenty of arrogant people in sports. He can be a bit of a dick but come on, just have a look at some of your favorite fighters. Sonnen, Parysian and Diaz for example.

    Sonnen is the most entertaining fighter in the sport. I like Karo because he's a Judoka, I'm the first to say he's a dick. You just don't like Diaz because he made GSP cry.

    There's nobody as arrogant as Jones who has accomplished so little and hasn't been since Prince Naz. He was also a complete cock.

    I think you should have a little look back at what Ali was subjected to. Why was he meant to be a role model? And who says he wasn't? Racist group? He was a member of The Nation of Islam! Again, have a look into them, you might understand a bit better why they acted the way they did. Malcolm X was also a member of the nation of Islam, was he a racist? Ali wasn't a racist. Don't make silly comments.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:52 am

    superman_punch wrote:The love for Jones grows daily. So who's bandwagon is everyone gonna jump on now in the hope they beat Jones? Hendo/Rashad? It may be very hard for some to see him beating these 2 BUT IF he does is it upto HW cos no one at LHW has come close to stopping him.

    As far as the fans comment by Greg Jackson I couldn't care less whether people love him or hate him. The guys fights are always exciting and more often than not end in finishes.

    There's 4 guys left that he has to beat before this "cleared the division" stuff will be true. Hendo, Davis, the man he's been ducking in Rashad, and King Mo.

    Then he can go up to his actual weight class and we'll see how he does. Let's see how he does against Overeem, Barnett, Lesnar, Mir, Werdum and Cain. Not to mention Junior Dos Santos.

    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

    Posts : 86
    Join date : 2011-09-28

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  thebadgersbits on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:02 am

    I have said this before that jones is basically a heavy that can comfortably cut down to lhw . To me his whole personna is nothing but boring ,i have nothing against watching him fight but i do think he does nothing different than what you see in any muay thai fight albeit he does it worse.
    Its all dowwn to the UFC overhyping him and if jones has any balls he will go into his true weight division .As for finishing his fights has he actually knocked anyone out with a punch or kick ???
    He full on twatted shogun in the face with his knee and it still took him about another 7 minutes to finish him .
    When he clears up the lhw which he will start chucking him in with guys like kongo see how that goes !!
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 am

    Sheldan wrote:Am I missing something here? Why does Greg Jackson telling Jones to do that make Jones the dick? By all means you can have a go at Jackson for saying something like that, but why is Jones at fault for Jackson saying that? This just looks like people clutching at straws in an attempt to try and justify a valid reason for hating Jones.

    Did you miss Jones pretending to show concern for Machida in order to gain fans?

    Jackson told him to..whatever, the fact remains. Jones is false, Jackson is worse.
    avatar
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4165
    Join date : 2009-08-29

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am













    Yeah a 24 yr old kid, adrenaline pumping from another huge win of his career, gets told by one of most respected coach in all of MMA to go do something is really about to say "no i dont like that piss drinking fag".



    Actually from that video, it suggests that Bones went on his own accord on his own free time and didnt hear what Jackson was saying at all. Jackson kept kept repeating himself over and over, even when Bones already went to Lyoto. (Not like it matters anyway)


    The fact that people are finding such an issue with this, goes to show you how much hurt and upset they are at his success, talent and style of Bones. And him embarrasing a couple of Pride legends is more salt to the wound.




    "I dont like him because i think he's a phony" lol. Its amazing what MMA fans can get reduced to when their favourite fighters get squashed or get proven time and time again their whole assesment of how good Bones is as far from truth as possible.


    avatar
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4165
    Join date : 2009-08-29

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am












    Oh and people better get used to these PR, politically correct ("Phony!!!") answers and actions like we see in other high profile sports like football. UFC is heading in a completely different direction now since Fox deal. And the cutting of Torres over a tweet joke just goes to show that. No way would that have happened before fox deal. And i assume this was a message sent to the big stars aswell about what they can do or say.
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  efils_god on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:11 pm

    Guys i totally agree with Sheldan and Red here.

    This is just people (including most of you) finding reasons to hate Jones. To be honest, i don't really get it. You say he is arrogant, but i don't really see it in interviews. He is confident in himself, but seems pretty grounded and down to earth. He has mauled EVERYONE he has fought, including the elite of the division, so why shouldn't he be confident?

    As for this incident? I don't think it reflects great on Jackson, but for all you know it was a tongue in cheek joke between Jackson and Jones, and even if it isn't, it doesn't reflect badly on Jones as far as i'm concerned. Many many fighters don't 'check up' on people they just beat, because they forget in the moment, or don't want to or whatever, but just because it's Jones, he gets tonnes of shit.


    I don't get it. And as for saying Jones is boring......er....what??
    avatar
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1270
    Join date : 2011-01-19
    Age : 34
    Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Cowboys From Hell on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

    I understand where you are coming from and yes Jackson is rightly the man to blame for this but TBH Jones shouldn't need to be told to check on him seeing the state he was in.
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  efils_god on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm

    Did the Korean Zombie check on Hominick after he KO'd him? I seem to remember he was up on the side of the ring celebrating. Same for Mir. But there is no backlash for them or any of the other numerous fighters who forget/don't do it. Obviously it would have been ideal for him to check, but he is far from the first to not check immediately. I don't get the backlash.

    People just want a reason to hate Jones.
    avatar
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1270
    Join date : 2011-01-19
    Age : 34
    Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Cowboys From Hell on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:27 pm

    Hominick was up pretty quick after the stoppage but the Mir one you are correct that was pretty poor from Mir he knew he broke his arm so he should have acknowledged Nog's health post tap.
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  efils_god on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:41 pm

    Yeah, i think we both get both points of view, i just think Jones is getting flak for this because people like to hate him rather than the fact that it was anything particularly abnormal or horrific.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Greg Jackson: "Jon go and check on Lyoto; get some fans"

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 am