THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
the_king
payneNglory1
Cowboys From Hell
Anfields5thKing
superman_punch
wilksdaman
redmeanie77
SirSquatAlot
2brutal
13 posters

Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results Empty Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 9:01 am

Well bit of anticlimax after the 1month lay off and ufc129 that was a strong card

Rampage never looked in any danger from hammil and his take downs, I thought hammil was extremely poor maybe I am being harsh but that will be the last main event he sees in his career IMO
    Thought we would of seen the ko, but credit he took some decent shots, rampage said he had a fracture in his arm going into the fight, will he get jones next ???

Mir fight went how I thought big knees and nice elbows in the last round Nelson give him his due he takes a shot well, arlovski had some power eh

Browne what a ko that was nasty, Struve seems to be on the end of a few nasty finishes, think it was sheldan who said that some of us were over rating Struve

Why the hell did I change the story pick at the last minute, what a performance and what a chin took some big shots that last round and just kept on going, if it was a 5 round fight I think alves might of had it
    Hats of to story good picks by those who didn't bottle it like me Evil or Very Mad

Stann looks a beast at 185 seems a decent lad as well he has some power

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results Empty Re: Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results

Post  SirSquatAlot Sun May 29, 2011 11:56 am

Browne's Superman Punch was awesome. Struve looked like a building being demolished the way he fell but great finish. Card was OK in general though. Thought Rampage looked good and seemed to have a decent game plan but Hammil did look poor. Looked like he was hurt by some decent body shots.

Stann looks like a contender as well, tough as nails.

Looking forward to the Pettis Guida fight next week though!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results Empty Re: Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Big Country is a great talent, but he is not doing himself justice fighting at HW with all that fat, he needs to cut down to 205. Even at 205 he'd still have a gut. But he really needs to make a change.

Hamill was awful, you really wonder about these guys who finally get a big fight that means everything to them, and basically come in just trying to survive, He showed no heart or will to go for the win at clsoing stages of fight.

That Browne KO was sick, best moment of the night.

Stann did as i expected though Santiago chin did hold up longer than i thought it would. But he was completly dominated in stand up and never had a prayer to get a takedown. Stann should fight Belfort next but will probably fight winner of Bisping-Miller. And Belfort fight Wandi if he wins.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Good shout re belfort he's got an easy one IMO against sexyama
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 pm

The Browne-Struve knockout was crazy. His body literally folded back like an accordion. Anyone else think Browne was starting to gas a little bit? He was sucking in some deep breaths before he put Struve to sleep.
    Who next for him? Nelson?

Ufc 130 review do not read if you do not know the results Fc130tbrokosstr
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Yep mate Nelson I bet
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Yep mate Nelson I bet
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun May 29, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't think Rampage deserves a shot at Jones. The main event was a non starter for me, Rampage offers nothing apart from that big left hook and maybe the occasional uppercut. It's bread and butter to defend against for a top fighter especially when you don't have to worry about Quinton taking you down or peppering you with leg kicks.

Hamil is the human JCB and not only will that be his last main event I doubt he'l make the main card of a PPV again. Rightfully so IMO. If anything it just shows how far behind fighters like Tito have fallen over the years losing to guys like hamil.

Jones wont be worrying too much after seeing this main event. It's down to Rashad, Mr Wonderful or Machida to stop Bones band wagon.

Can't see Nelson shifting 60 pounds at 35 years old so I agree maybe Travis Browne next. That's if he gets another shot after what Dana had to say post fight about him. Mir though looked good and did exactly what I thought he would, only pisser was I didn't trump that fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Rampage looked better than he has previously, but doesn't have that killer instinct that made him a world champion anymore. That's from fighting at Wolfslair. He lost that inner killer when he left Ibarra. He needs to get the fuck away from Wolfslair completely. He's half-way there. Time to tell them to fuck off.

Matt Hamill has never had any business being in main event. Has he ever even been top 15?? Incredibly limited fighter who's biggest win is Tito Ortiz who's just a joke now.

Interesting to hear Dana say that if Rampage's hand is hurt, Machida gets the next title shot. Rightfully so. Machida Era version 2.0 is on it's way.

Mir impressed me until he gassed. Think he looks more focused and determined now. I think 260 is too heavy for him. He needs to drop about 10-15 pounds.

Nelson will never make 205. He's 35 and that's 55 pounds of belly fat he'd need to lose. Belly fat is the hardest to lose. He should aim to make 230 and fight at that weight. He'd have better stamina, more mobility and I think he'd be a better fighter at that weight. Nelson impressed me with his toughness last night, but not with much else.

Travis Browne is the real deal. I dismissed him before the fight, I take it back. Huge power, good chin, good kicks, and he's got the Fedor-style going. He moves for Fedor, punches like Fedor and wears Fedor shorts. He could become a real contender at HW if he continues to improve. I saw give him Schaub next regardless of whether Schaub wins or loses against Nog.

Struve's chin is always going to stop him becoming a top ten fighter. Shame because he's got a lot of talent.

I think Alves got robbed. Story did nothing in the first round except hold him against the cage and fail to get takedowns. Alves defended the takedowns. Got one of his own(albeit only a momentary one) and he got the better of the striking. He clearly won the third round as well. I got a text this morning from Stevie Bruno, one of the trainers at ATT and a former UFC fighter, and he said the team were stunned that he'd lost. They were certain he'd won the first round because Story hadn't actually done anything in the round.

Story impressed me with his chin and his toughness and nothing else.

Brian Stann is a BEAST. I think he'll fight around the same time as Bisping-Miller and I think if he wins he might get the loser of that fight because the winner will apparently get a title shot. I see why Wandi didn't want to fight him. Him vs Wandi ends one way IMO. With Wandi having a nap.

Still think Santiago would beat most of the UFC MW division. But not anyone with power. He'd beat the Bisping's of the world IMO.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun May 29, 2011 6:28 pm

A really odd event for me the lack of crowd and a genuine Main Event really hampered 130.

Had a horrible feeling Santiago would crumble like that his chin is his down fall he looked hurt after the 1st exchange Stann looked great shame Sonnen is out for some time as that would be a great fight to make.

Story deserved the win for me Alves just didn't do enough I can't believe I'm agreeing with Rogan but he was right why Didn't alves circle away from the cage.

The Browne KO I did not seecoming at all Browne was struggling with his range up until that point.

Mir vs Nelson was a stinker Nelson was absolutely horrible in the fight.

Main Event was real flat and a miss match Hamill looked out of his depth.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Agree with all your post anfield apart from alves getting robbed close fight alves won the 3rd easy but lost the other 2 narrow all be it, the 1st story did use decent strikes to the calf and quads and control him against the cage, alves was getting better had it been a 5 round he would of won, anyone else with anfield on the story fight ?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 6:59 pm

2brutal wrote: anyone else with anfield on the story fight ?

All of ATT and most of the crowd last night.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

I thought Torres was the only fighter last night,that was really hard done to by the judges.

I was abit pissed with Alves,he just never seemed to get out of gear in the first two rds and let story outwork him and steal the rds.
    If Alves had turned the agression on and started letting his hands go in the second,like he did in the third,he'd of easily took that fight IMO.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Browne biggest weakness is going to be cardio, he was destroying Kongo in 1st round aswell before he gassed after that, and im not sure the same wouldnt have happend yestday if it went past 1st round.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 7:27 pm

His team thought he won shocking I suppose his family and friends did too I hear, only messing mate close fight some good exchanges story has a solid chin rock some good shots that last round, how do you know the lad from American top team anfield
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Torres has a very active guard not often you nearly win a fight by fighting off your back for 15 minutes,
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 7:29 pm

2brutal wrote:His team thought he won shocking I suppose his family and friends did too I hear, only messing mate close fight some good exchanges story has a solid chin rock some good shots that last round, how do you know the lad from American top team anfield

I've trained at ATT on and off since the day it opened in 2001.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Impressive mate wish I gave it a bash, was alves there then or did he join later seem to think he trained somewhere else before
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun May 29, 2011 7:49 pm

I can't see how Alves could be given the 1st or 2nd so no controversy there IMO. no where near the like of Machida v Rampage or Edgar v Maynard.

Anfield, how come your hooked up with the guys at ATT? Did you live in the states at some point?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Alves did get robbed last night but so did Story but not from the judges but from Dana, they should have got FOTN.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 8:10 pm

As far as i can remember Thiago joined just after the relocation to Coconut Creek from the sweatbox in Boca Raton but before all the DEA shit. So spring 2003 I suppose that would have been. He'd only just moved from Brazil. He spoke little or no english and had no structure to his life at all. He used to train all day but without really have any set work-out plan, go out and get wrecked every night, sleep for about 4 hours, come back in and train again. He wasn't seen as a big prospect at the time. His striking technique was pretty poor. He had ridiculous power though, but he used to just try and walk through guys and if he couldn't he was fucked. His ground game at the time was comical as well. Ever see a sheep on their back?? That was him. Now he trains 2 hours a day with Marcelo as well as getting instruction from Ricardo Liborio.

Superman, I was live in Japan in the 2000 and I met Murilo Bustamante and Mario Sperry at the Kodokan. I was training there full time and doing some instructing to young kids, and they were over competing in a grappling tournament and they came to the Kodokan to work out. I just got talking to Mario by chance and they invited me to go train at BTT which they'd just opened after leaving Carlson Gracie. When I was there I met Ricardo and became good friends with him during the 3 visits I made, so when he split and went to America to form ATT he invited me to train with him anytime I was around. For about 2 years I was possibly the only person in the world who trained at both BTT and ATT. Was very odd. Relationship between the two has improved greatly since though. Although I haven't been at BTT in about 4 years. I also trained at Chute Boxe a couple of times before the big fall out between BTT and Chute Boxe.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Alves did get robbed last night but so did Story but not from the judges but from Dana, they should have got FOTN.

Really? First round was Story spoiling the fight. Second round was Story spoiling the fight. Only the 3rd round was really good. I think Stann-Santiago was def the best fight.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun May 29, 2011 8:21 pm

yeah but 1st and 2nd did have some great toe to toe action aswell as 3rd round when it seemed Alves could get a finish, Stann-Santiago was too one sided for me to be FOTN.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 pm

nelson needs to work on cardio im not suprised mir was tired after that fight. ramage i expected to win shame he didnt ko hammil. struve ko was nasty.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

yeah but 1st and 2nd did have some great toe to toe action aswell as 3rd round when it seemed Alves could get a finish, Stann-Santiago was too one sided for me to be FOTN.

Yeah there was some good toe to toe stuff in the first, but Alves was the only one landing. Story missed with nearly everything he threw.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 pm