THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+16
Moose Stuff For Money...
Albion_Oakley
Cowboys From Hell
manschesthair_utd
poz
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
superman_punch
Mryzyz
wilksdaman
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
20 posters

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE - Page 2 Empty Re: ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE

Post  Mryzyz Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

A fighters union and a transparent, meritocratic system for fighters to earn their way to the UFC have suddenly become vital to the integrity of MMA as a sport.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Actually Hellboy should go to bellator, they have decent FW division.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 pm

It will be interesting to see how M-1 does on Showtime.

Strikeforce will be assimilated when their contract with Sho is up. If Showtime back M-1 with half the cash they were spending on SF, that would make them the de facto No.2 MMA org.
    Could see them potentially profiting big from this. I doubt Showtime will want to drop MMA completely from their portfolio, and M-1 already has their foot in the door.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 pm

I think this is great news for us fans,for Strikeforce and their fighters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Strikeforce and the UFC both eventually leave Spike and Showtime,then as well as paying for PPV's,we will also be paying a subscription fee to get ZUFFA TV.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:36 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

I think this is great news for us fans,for Strikeforce and their fighters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Strikeforce and the UFC both eventually leave Spike and Showtime,then as well as paying for PPV's,we will also be paying a subscription fee to get ZUFFA TV.

how is it better for the fighters or fans? (if we arent seeing superfights)

im not condemning this purchase or whatever...i cant predict whats going to happen so just wait and see.
    but i dont understand how you can say its great news for fighters and fans.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:37 pm

JoshGrossESPN:

The UFC/Strikeforce split is all about contracts. Once they're fulfilled with Showtime, I'm told a WEC type merger is planned.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Maybe there will be ShoUFC?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Its not good for the fighters at all, as this is a very deliberate move by Zuffa, to take away barganing power of the fighters which previously to this day had never been higher as fighters can negotiate deals between SF and UFC.

Now that has been completely taken away, and fighters will still be severly underpaid in comparison to the rise of the sport and money being made from it. Zuffa is making a ton of money. But just look at the fighters salary from biggest mma organisation which broadcast PPV's. There are guys there earning like 10,000 or less there. While Zuffa are selling a million PPV's.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:54 pm

The lower the pay of fighters, the higher chance of a fighters union being formed.
    Zuffa are not going to lower the pay scale any lower than it is now, they don't want to risk antagonising their fighters. Just the threat of a fighters union will always keep the pay reasonable.

The guys making $10K were not subjects of a bidding war between the UFC and Strikeforce anyway, this won't affect them.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Yes but with less competition, and UFC constantly buying out rival promotions, fighters pay will be under control by Zuffa for a prolonged period, and it wont increase in correlation with growth of the sport.

Those $10,000 guys, would be on more, if WEC (pre-Zuffa), SF, Affliction, pride etc were still around to this day.

MMA is getting bigger and bigger, huge money is being made that is not filtering down to the fighters because of the monoply by Zuffa.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Until Coker speaks and we know the full details and long term plans then it's hard to say whether it's good or bad for the fighters and the fans.

This purchase is completely different from any of the previous purchases so I don't think they can be used as a basis for judging this.

Josh gross is a moron.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Problems are starting already, this is what Paul Daley said about the news:

"Business as usual, what if i dont wanna fight for DANA WHITE/ZUFFA?......Dana white bans me for life from the UFC, Then buys STRIKEFORCE, and thinks im still gonna be EASY and fight on one of the most anticipated fights of the year (vs Diaz)? Which will no doubt make ZUFFA/Dana White money. Daley vs Diaz still on?.....Someone better holla at my manager real quick."
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:09 pm

JoshGrossESPN:

The UFC/Strikeforce split is all about contracts. Once they're fulfilled with Showtime, I'm told a WEC type merger is planned

So in that sense it does sound good for the fans, because eventually we will get to see the super fights we want like Overeem/Velasquez, Melendez/Edgar, Diaz/GSP ect.

How this works out for the fighters though, I'm not sure. I'm sure the top guys like Overeem will get paid handsomely but who knows when it comes to the rest of the roster.

We also don't know whats going to happen to SF after the contracts are all done with. Are they going to keep it the same, make it a b-league or as someone suggested merge it with Dream and become Pride II, with most of the shows in Japan?

Also people are overlooking the fact that with another major MMA company possibly tied up, the likes of Titan, MFC and especially Bellator could begin to grow and attract more and more good fighters. Bellator is a well run company, and in the future could end up in the position SF did.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Hendo made a hilarious comment about it on a radio broadcast i was listening too.

it was something like "Dana must really have a crush on me, as he bought pride to get me, and now he bought SF just to have me back". HAHA

It was funny when he said it anyway.....
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I've updated the original post and included the interview with Dana so for those who haven't seen it yet then it's there.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:31 pm

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE - Page 2 Blackwhitecookie

Can not believe It just come home I'm gobsmacked never seen this coming hate to sound melodramatic with Japan MMA more less finished (on a big scale not talking Shooto, DEEP or The Outsider) MMA has more less became Ultimate Fighting.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Hendo made a hilarious comment about it on a radio broadcast i was listening too.

it was something like "Dana must really have a crush on me, as he bought pride to get me, and now he bought SF just to have me back". HAHA

It was funny when he said it anyway.....

Hendo is quite a funny guy. People don't give him credit for it but he's got a good sense of humour.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:24 am

The UFC can only support a finite amount of fighters, especially having recently added weight classes. As people come in at the top, people will have to leave to make room. So in a sense they will always have competition.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 am

its not really competition if its just UFC rejects.

anyways Dana said since they are going into alot of new areas and holding much more events that they need more high level fighters....i think the UFC roster will certainly grow.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 am

If Daley beats Diaz

And werdum beats overeem and then fedor beats overeem for the belt,

And just say Barnett wins the grand prix,

then there's 3 Strikefoce champs and the grand prix winner that don't want to fight in the UFC.

On the plus side, zuffa finally has the number 1 hw and number 1 lw in the world under contract.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:13 am

Ye but I think it's pretty safe to assume that Daley and Barnett would never have fought in the UFC again anyway. After watching the interview, it seems like the UFC and SF are staying (for now anyway) as separate promotions where bidding wars will still happen. If it was up to Dana, the likes of Daley and Barnett would be screwed right now, but as he mentioned about 50 times in the interview it's just "business as usual". Whether Daley or Barnett stay or leave SF is completely down to Coker. They will never go back to the UFC and I seriously doubt Hendo or Fedor will end up there either. There going to stay in SF until there contracts are up, and that stage they will either retire, renegotiate a new deal or find another company.

I could see the likes of Melendez, Jacare, Overeem and possibly Diaz and Werdum going/going back to the UFC at some stage though.

The only thing that I can really understand now is that the UFC will use SF to help break them into international markets while the UFC will give SF a lot more exposure. For both companies it looks like a win-win.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 am

Hendo has said he would fight for UFC, its just Barnett and Daley Dana doesnt want in the UFC. I actually if i was Zuffa i would not have Barnett anywhere near my promotion. Look at what happened to affliction and now after signing for SF without even fight for them yet. Laughing The guy is a jinx.

They wont copromote with M-1 in the past and they certainly wont now, that Fedor'a value has dropped. I think first order of business for Zuffa will be seeing how they can break free from M-1 as soon as possible.

Question is though, where do the fighters go? Bellator? Whats the story with Dream?? If that goes under which looks like happening, there is nothing else out there of note.

And even if Bellator or someone else do get bigger and able to challenge UFC in the future, whats to stop Zuffa from buying them out aswell??

This is a pretty signiifcant deal for the future of MMA.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 pm

When did Hendo say that mate?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2011/03/12/dan-henderson-admits-he-was-shocked-at-zuffa-buy-out-open-to-working-with-dana-white-again/

The title of the article threw me off alittle, the qoute doesnt actually say he's definetly going to fight for Dana. Just that theres no hard feelings.

Apologies, i read it late last night.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:40 pm

cheers for the link mate

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:47 am