THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce?

mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce? Empty What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce?

Post  mikeyboybisping Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm

I've been thinking about the Zuffa purchase of Strikeforce and I was wondering how they could make this work? Here are a few scenarios that came to mind. Most of it probably won't happen but what if?

- Business as usual
    The line touted by Dana White. Short term I suppose this could work. However, for example, what happens when Coker tries to negotiate a new deal with Hendo? A man that the UFC weren't prepared to pay what Strikeforce could for his services. For this to work I'd think he'd have to be given as much power as Dana White has with the UFC which probably won't happen.

- UFC - A League / Strikeforce - B League
    Strikeforce becomes a "feeder" promotion to the UFC.

- One promotion, The UFC
    I think most people believe this will eventually be the outcome with Strikeforce being shut down once all existing deals are satisfied. The main benefit of course is that they can make all the dream fights we all want to see. The main drawback for me will be a reduction in the number of cards.

- Megafights
    If they are to run two promotions why not set up some co-promotion megafights once in a while? Maybe a once yearly new year event between the best of the best?

- A draft
    The UFC obviously have the strongest roster. Why not have a draft to make two super promotions? This would be exciting to see. Maybe redraft every couple of years or something?

- The Octagon & The Ring
    Why not switch Strikeforce to a ring? The UFC has always had the trademarked octagon, would it not be nice to have Strikeforce in the ring instead?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce? Empty Re: What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce?

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

The last 2 wont happen.

I would love to see your option of megafights happen. I said in that thread that i would love for UFC to give some fighter to SF to bulk up the SF roster and have a end of year event SF v UFC (Simlar to Dream v Sengoku a while back).

One Promotion UFC, will happen as soon as Showtime deal is up. Would have happenend already if it wasnt for that.

SF as B league, is a viable option, but would not like to see it happen. It would be hurtful to the promotion SF. SF should either be killed or backed fully by Zuffa.

Business as usual? Less than 24 hr of signing the deal already the intro of elbows to the ground. Laughing There will be changes but i think will be to the benefit of SF. SF was very poor at promoting and scheduling (often announcing fights with 1 months notice only) Zuffa will polish them up.

Last edited by redmeanie77 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce? Empty Re: What would you like to see happen with Zuffa's purchase of Strikeforce?

Post  Mryzyz Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:16 pm

A draft, but with the UFC getting two picks for every one Strikeforce has. This would keep the UFC as the clear #1, but it will stop Strikeforce being a B league as they would still have 2 or 3 top 10 fighters per division.

The UFC and Strikeforce hold a Grand Prix every year, each in different weight classes, with the top talent from one org going to fight in the others Grand Prix and vice versa.

Realistically... just to see the best fights possible at some point down the line, and for the ladies not to get shafted.
    And for the UFC to stop using that horrible pale purpley-grey colour for the octagon mat.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

One Promotion UFC, will happen as soon as Showtime deal is up.

So 2014 then.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Yup as soon as the the contract is up SF will be UFC.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 pm

3 years away. No possible way to predict what will happen.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 am