THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen Empty Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen

Post  payneNglory1 Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

CHICAGO, Ill. (May 15, 2010) – Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney responded today to Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez’s call-out of reigning Bellator Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez, saying that he will do everything in his power to make the fight happen.

Melendez, appearing on this weekend’s edition of HDNet’s “Inside MMA,” told hosts Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten that he would “love to fight Eddie Alvarez.”

“I think he’s an amazing fighter and that’s why I call out Eddie Alvarez – let’s unify those titles,” Melendez said. “I’d love to fight that guy and test myself. I think if I could beat him, I could be No. 1 and vice-versa.”

Rebney said an Alvarez-Melendez fight would be “a great matchup between two of the best in the world.”

“As an MMA fan, first and foremost, Alvarez versus Melendez is an awesome fight at 155 that deserves to be seen and needs to be made,” Rebney said. “Gilbert has the heart of a warrior, just like our champion Eddie. I will do everything I can to get Gilbert what he asked for. Gilbert wants the fight, Eddie wants the fight and I want the fight. All we have to do is get Scott Coker on board and together we can make this happen. Eddie wants to fight the best and Gilbert wants to fight the best and there is no reason why any promoter or network should stand in the way of that.”

Alvarez (22-2) was crowned Bellator’s Lightweight World Champion last summer and is now the consensus No. 3-ranked 155-pounder in the world. He reaffirmed that status earlier this month with an impressive rear-naked-choke submission of former UFC standout Josh Neer before a nationwide audience on FOX Sports Net, NBC and Telemundo.

Melendez (20-2) won the Strikeforce Lightweight Championship belt from Josh Thomson last December and then defended the title late last month with a dominating unanimous decision victory over Shinya Aoki before a national TV audience on CBS. The 28-year-old is generally regarded as one of the top lightweights in the world.

Reached at his home in Philadelphia on Saturday, the 26-year-old Alvarez said he would relish the chance to take on Melendez on a national stage.

“Gilbert is a great fighter who’s got a lot of momentum going right now,” Alvarez said. “This is the match-up that all the fans want to see and it’d be a shame if it didn’t happen. I want to do it, Bjorn wants to do it and it sounds like Gilbert wants to do it. If I could sum up my thoughts in four words, it’d be: ‘Let’s make it happen.’”

Sweet Very Happy
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen Empty Re: Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun May 16, 2010 3:08 am

Ignoring their weird Latino fetish for now.....that will be sick!!!

Gil could have another challenger in SF after tonight but Gil vs Eddie would be awesome anyway.

Impossible to call.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen Empty Re: Bellator Wants To Make Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez Happen

Post  sunthunder Sun May 16, 2010 3:12 am

This would be a sick fight. I'd favour Melendez, but it has the potential to be a war. I think Alvarez is going to get finished by KO/TKO at some point when he next faces top level opposition. Dida dropped him, Hansen hurt him, Kawajiri dropped him twice and if I remember right he even got wobbled by an Irish fighter he fought in Bellator last year. He reminds me a bit of young Wanderlei, excellent recovery, but does get clipped a lot. But because of that, I'd favour Melendez because he's become a lot more refined over the past few years.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 pm

This is a great oppertunity for both guys, a high level 155lbs fight as you would find anywhere! A real superfight and guarenteed fireworks! Im a big Alvarez fan but Melendez looks a real improved fighter. Id stick with Alvarez he always seems to come out the winner in slugfests! I think he would find a way.... But what a fight! Id be more excited to see this than any UFC 155lbs fight.... lets hope its in SF insted of Bellator so we can see it on TV over here!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm

That would be a great fight, I hope it is put together.

For some reason i'm kind of edging towards Melendez here, I think his wrestling could get him through the match. Alvarez is a marginally better striker while there quite even on the ground, it would be a great fight though.

But when the hell is Josh Thompson going to fight next?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Beerbohm is supposed to be fighting Thompson next

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 pm