THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+16
Moose Stuff For Money...
Albion_Oakley
Cowboys From Hell
manschesthair_utd
poz
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
superman_punch
Mryzyz
wilksdaman
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
20 posters

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE - Page 5 Empty Re: ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Although they say it'll be "business as usual" I'd doubt they'll happily let Overeem fight in K1.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Payne were did you hear the Carwin rumor? SF seemed to be clutching at straws with Barnett holding the event he fought in over in japan. I think him not having a licence in the US and Japan going through the current disaster raises a lot of questions about Barnetts future.

I hope we see Barnett get licenced to fight in the US, After all Carwin has probabally taken every bit as many Steroids as Barnett! Laughing
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Payne were did you hear the Carwin rumor? SF seemed to be clutching at straws with Barnett holding the event he fought in over in japan. I think him not having a licence in the US and Japan going through the current disaster raises a lot of questions about Barnetts future.

I hope we see Barnett get licenced to fight in the US, After all Carwin has probabally taken every bit as many Steroids as Barnett! Laughing

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/15/2051821/is-the-ufcs-purchase-of-strikeforce-bad-for-the-fighters
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Looks like the UFC are putting Gina straight to work.

Odd.

Didn't realize the UFC had bought Strikeforce..............
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

There are now rumours floating around that Shane Carwin might be replacing Barnett in the Tournament.

and they should immediately be dismissed as complete bullshit.

1. Strikeforce and the UFC are not one and the same.
    2. Shane Carwin is contracted to the UFC.
    3. Strikeforce are holding the tournament
    4. For Carwin to fight in the tournament, Dana would have to release him from his contract.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 am

Throwing a bit of a curve ball here, but you know how like Strikeforce allows fighters to fight for other promotions overseas. If the UFC held an event overseas, would the Strikeforce fighters be allowed to fight on the UFC card? Or do you think the clause that it can't be UFC they are fighting for still remains? I'm probably going with the latter, but still, never rule anything out.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

they allow their fighters to fight in organisations from overseas. the ufc are american so the answer is no.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 pm

But i like your thinking though Sheldan !!

With regards to the Carwin rumour, if they want him in the tourney and Carwin agrees, they could release him from UFC contract (he lost last fight, so they can), and he can sign a 3 fight SF contract for the tourney. Would love to see it happen.

I dont think Barnett is going to fight in the tourney.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:40 pm

lol!!

does anyone care about phillip lane? Neutral
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:
    Looks like the UFC are putting Gina straight to work.

Odd.

Didn't realize the UFC had bought Strikeforce..............

Whats the game she's promoting,is it the Strikeforce personal trainer?
    No it's the UFC personal trainer,so surely that means she's doing some work for the UFC.

Do you honestly think ZUFFA want to support their babys biggest rival,this is about,what's in the best interests of the UFC,and just like with the IFL,WFA,WEC and Pride in the past,Strikeforce has been bought to increase the power,strength and depth of the UFC,nothing more.

ZUFFA is the UFC and all ZUFFA's actions are for the benifit of the UFC.

If it wasn't for the existing showtime and fighter contracts left in strikeforce,the Strikeforce name,IMO would of died as soon as ZUFFA signed the papers and it would of instantly been swallowed up into the UFC.
    ZUFFA holds control over both now,but ZUFFA's baby is the UFC not strikeforce and as soon as it's possible for them to do so,they are going to rape strikeforce of it's best fighters,bringing them all over to the UFC and then either keep strikeforce as there B league show(which I doubt)or just fold the name all together,like they have with every other Orgs they gained controll over in the past.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/16/dana-white-talks-ufc-128-desire-to-book-wanderlei-silva-vs-vit/

Dana talks a little bit more about the purchase here, plus theres UFC 128 preview and a HUGE increase in the chances of seeing Belfort VS Wanderlei cheers

Bisping VS Sonnen surely is basically a done deal now with any other realistic opponent being taken.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 am

Rich Franklin mentioned something about cutting to 185 to fight the Cunt the other day, but I think everyone(except Bisping) wants to see Sonnen-Bisping.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 am

If Bisping-Sonnen is to happen, the UFC would be foolish not to have them as TUF coaches.

Wanderlei wants nothing to do with Vitor from what i'm seeing, he wants Leben.

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE - Page 5 Untitl10

Either fight would be great, but personally I want Wanderlei-Belfort, Leben should get Belcher.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

Sheldan wrote:If Bisping-Sonnen is to happen, the UFC would be foolish not to have them as TUF coaches.

Wanderlei wants nothing to do with Vitor from what i'm seeing, he wants Leben.

ZUFFA PURCHASES STRIKEFORCE - Page 5 Untitl10

Either fight would be great, but personally I want Wanderlei-Belfort, Leben should get Belcher.

That is so Wand Laughing

I can just imagine him saying it in his terrible broken English, "him good opponent" lol, He sounds like a caveman sometimes.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

Sheldan wrote:http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/16/dana-white-talks-ufc-128-desire-to-book-wanderlei-silva-vs-vit/

Dana talks a little bit more about the purchase here, plus theres UFC 128 preview and a HUGE increase in the chances of seeing Belfort VS Wanderlei cheers

Bisping VS Sonnen surely is basically a done deal now with any other realistic opponent being taken.

Dana thinks Jon Jones is top 5 right now. The man is officially clueless.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/16/dana-white-talks-ufc-128-desire-to-book-wanderlei-silva-vs-vit/

Dana thinks Jon Jones is top 5 right now. The man is officially clueless.

I have him at #6 to be fair, i'd drop to #7 though, it's a toss up between him and Henderson, all depends on how he does on Saturday.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 am

Henderson is far ahead. Henderson is number 3 after Shogun and Machida. Evans 4, Rampage 5, Griffin is 6th. Bones is about 7th or 8th.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:09 am

Surely Rampage has to be above Machida seeing how he beat him, it was close but Rampage did just edge the fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 am

Machida beat Rampage quite easily. Lyoto is the number 2 LHW in the world, and would be number 1 had he not been forced to give an undeserved rematch to Shogun, or even just given his own re-match.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 am

I'm too tired to get into a debate, so fine you can win.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 am

Hendo is 3rd after having two fights at 205, with neither of them being in the top 10? How exactly?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:53 am

There you go Chelsea can lead the debate on my behalf haha, also I still don't know how Anfield can claim Shogun didn't deserve a rematch, basically everyone other than Team Blackhouse members thought Shogun won that fight. If your going to claim that Penn won the first fight with Edgar (which imo was even further apart than Machida-Shogun) and therefore be deserving of a rematch, then the same should apply for Shogun. Even if you don't think he won, the fight was close and to many controversial, therefore Shogun deserved his rematch.

Also I'm not that tired anymore so I'll join the debate, Henderson at this moment in time is not #3, to put him there would basically be ranking him on his past achievements. You don't get schooled off Shields, then beat two guys outside the top 10 and become #3 light heavyweight. You set a precedent by saying Bisping shouldn't be top 10 because he hasn't beat anyone top 10, then you say Henderson is #3 when the only 2 fights he has won at light heavyweight in what 6 years were against two guys who worn't top 10 either, it's madness.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 am

Sheldan I love the Avatar mate Laughing

To be fair regarding Machida and Shogun, I do think Machida was pretty hard done by. I thought it was a very close fight where I had Shogun winning by only 3 rounds to 2 and a couple of those rounds could have gone either way. Considering Shogun didn't deserve the title shot from the beginning, Machida could be considered unlucky.

With that said, I agree about what your saying regarding the Edgar fight. That was a very similar fight to Machida-Shogun with Edgar taking the place of Machida. Yet Anfield, you think that was a robbery? I don't see a massive difference and why one was a robbery and the other wasn't. For me anyway, a robbery is a fight like Hammil vs Bisping or Phan vs Garcia. Where one fighter clearly wins all of the rounds comfortably.

Regarding Machida-Rampage, I thought Machida was a clear 29-28 winner in that fight. But the judges saw it differently and compared to Shogun-Machida, far less people saw it as a robbery. To come with your own personal rankings list is fine if thats how you see them based on there talents. But when your debating an issue with another poster, you can't use those rankings to justify your explanation. I doubt as a majority, the MMA community has Hendo at 3 and Machida at 2 in those rankings.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 am

1. Shogun Rua
    2. Rashad Evans
    3. Quinton Jackson
    4. Lyoto Machida
    5. Jon Jones

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 am

I had a big post written out, it didn't save.

Basically, Machida beat Shogun the first time. Joe Rogan biased commentary led most people to believe otherwise. Once many people watched the fight without Rogan's bullshit they saw the true outcome. The drones that thought Rampage beat Machida thought so based purely on Rampage's popularity. Rampage is a much more popular fighter, despite being vastly inferior and having had his ass kicked. Even Rampage admitted he lost, just because he changed his mind after Dana put some money in his pocket doesn't change that.

BJ Penn was THE CHAMPION when he got screwed. He was therefore entitled to a rematch. Shogun was a challenger, even if he had been screwed(which he wasn't) he wasn't entitled to a rematch. He should have had to earn one.

Henderson was a top 5 MW who gassed against Shields and lost purely because of that. His career record and accomplishments of course factor into the rankings. Feijao was close to being top 10 and Henderson has a far better record at LHW than Jones. He beat Wanderlei and Belfort at LHW who were top 10, and Franklin who was top 15. Jones has ONE career win against a top 15 fighter!! In fact, I don't think any of his other opponents were even top 20.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:44 am