THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
manschesthair_utd
pinsman
Mryzyz
Sheldan
rudeboyben84
Sly Uses
superman_punch
Cowboys From Hell
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
efils_god
The_Axe_Emperor
16 posters

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Empty Re: Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

"Saturday night, though, left no doubt that the heavyweight division has passed Fedor by. No matter how much heart he possessed in the cage, or how much class he possesses outside it, a 230-pound heavyweight can’t isolate himself, be controlled by management that always seemed to come up with reasons to avoid elite opponents, and remain at the top of the class."

Probably the only bit of sense in the whole article, agree with every word.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Empty Re: Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

Post  pinsman Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:47 pm

sorry boys but i think last night was the end of fedor hes guna do a cro cop
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 pm

wow!!

there is so much to say about this event i dont know where to start....

I would like to say the loss was at least slightly controversial, i mean, If you can't see from one eye (did they check or just look at the eye?) then its reasonable for the fighter's safety to not continue the fight.
    I honestly don't see it as a "real" loss....he wasnt knocked out, submitted, out-pointed, and he was intelligently defending the entire time.
    It's also important to factor in that the second round ended with Fedor attempting to submit Bigfoot.
    It's testament to Fedor that he actually reversed the horrendous position and was not saved by the bell.
    Fedor won a somewhat similar fight against Heath Herring 'way back when', he laid an even worse beating on Heath, who reversed it in the last seconds of the 10 minute round before being told enough was enough by the doctor.
    It's important to give credit to Bigfoot, another great win for him...I honestly think he can beat Overeem if he gets on top of him, which is Overeem's real weakness (GnP).

As for Fedor, i must disagree that he is a 205er, and i don't think he should drop weight. I was on the verge of tears during the post fight interview, i have been watching him for years.
    One of the many things that makes Fedor the greatest ever is the fact that he didnt cut weight, you talk about how much weight the other top guys cut...why do they do this? does it improve them? no. Are they afraid of losing to bigger guys...yes.
    Fedor fights at his weight. He never let his body be determined by some suit in a US athletic commision office and more credit to him.

I agree with the consensus on here, Fedor shouldn't be given another shot in the tournament and im not sure if i want to see him face the likes of Overeem.
    I actually believe he is past his physical prime.
    Pat Miletich said after the Fedor/Werdum fight:

"I was sad, not for Fedor, but for the realisation that perfection is unattainable in the sport of MMA"

That may be true, but looking back i think we can say that Fedor circa 2004/5 was near perfect....and that he has deteriorated. Those Russian military scientists were not thinking 34 years ahead when they created Fedor.

Fedor is one of the greatest sportsmen in history, and the greatest fighter in history by a country mile. It's still hard to pinpoint a real weakness in his skills or mentally.

ANYWAY

good job by Sergei, the far off stare is all too familiar on the face of Arlovski.
    I think Sergei can beat Rogers but Barnett is a nightmare matchup for him.

SDR looked good. His striking i feel is overrated based on his Muay thai accomplishments which look better than they really are....but cant argue with his results in MMA.

EDIT: so is Fedor an exciting fighter or what??? holy shitt!! his last...ALOT of fights were awesome.

this whole event was full of awesome fights.

Still some amazing things on display from Fedor, his ground and pound in the first round on Bigfoot was an awesome throwback.
    the way he got the guillotine, then as Bigfoot went for the takedown he anticipated it and threw Bigfoot on his back. beautiful.
    He and Voronov will train future champs, im sure.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Bastards at work have cut my video access! Had to read the spoilers here cos I needed to know! Just watched it, and nearly got a tear in my eye knowing what would happen in the second round. I really hope he retires now, my heart tells me if the doctor hadn't stopped it he'd have pulled something off but my brain knows different.
    Time catches up with us all (I've gone deep and meaningful there Very Happy ), so hopefully he'll say bollocks to it all and not get murdered by Overeem!

On the plus side....Overeem vs Sefo Overeem Sub 1st TRUMP cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Can we say Fedor has lost speed and explosivity? i think so.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

well overall a really good event,the fedor fight had my butterflys going apeshit,especially after the 1st rd ended.

I thought the night started off poor,but finished strong.
    the overall look and feel to the event,for me though was second rate,even the wife said that it looked amaturish,the refs had to keep asking for the corners to take down the banners as the fight was about to start,there was guys still standing around in the cage as the ref was about to start and whats with not having the fighters meet in the middle for a staredown and a quick run down of what the ref expects from the fighters.
    Gus is still the worst commentater around but frank shamrock,as much as i loved him as a fighter,is fucking clueless when he's talking about the fight or fighters(which seems a crazy comment to make when he obviously knows a shitload more than me,or most about the sport)but i just cringe at the crap and mistakes he comes out with everytime he's on air,like when he was talking about the lavar -del rosario fight,he starts out talking about how Lavar is a brawler with a big punch,and Del rosario is a technical world champ muay thai striker,i thought yeah,good description,but then he says in his keys to victory that Lavar's best chance at winning is to keep distance and fight a technical striking fight,What,he's a brawler,fighting a former world champ muay thai fighter and he thinks trying to fight a technical striking fight would be his best way to get the win????
    then he goes one step further as both fighters are about to kick off by claiming,this is a classic battle of grappler against striker???
    the guys a moron when he has a mic in his hand.
    get rid of the rest and just have a team of mauro and miletich

Sefo looked OK while the fight was standing,but then so he should,he's a K1 legand,but again just like in his last fight against kevin jordan,he showed why he has no buisness in the sport of MMA.
    When you have no chance at defending a takedown and have zero clue what to do when the fight hits the deck,this is not the sport for you,I mean come on,a neck crank,really,that move hasn't worked since the sport has evolved from the early days of the UFC and fighters had not seen or knew anything about those kind of moves,any fighter with a bit of experiance in todays game will never get caught with that move,that's simply why you don't see it used in the bigger orgs anymore.
    To be fair V Reem fought smart and took the easy way to win,so can't say anything against his performance.

Griggs v Villante was probably one of the ugliest HW fights I've seen,neither fighter belongs in a top Org yet,it just looked like two clueless amatures going at it,but in a sick way,it was that ugly and sloppy,it made it quite enjoyable to watch,there was action,abit of blood and heart on show,but just a complete lack of cardio,skill or technique from either fighter,it was a fun fight in a similar way to watching two guys throw down in an amature toughman event.

after those two fights were out of the way,this is when the event started getting good for me.

Del Rosario keeps improving everytime I watch him,he's obviously been putting the time in on his other skills,because his wrestling and BJJ looked good and it was that and not his striking that won him this fight(maybe Frank was right afterall Wink ),he showed great controll once he mounted Lavar and the finish was nice,I was impressed with him,i would like him to fight either,arlovski or the loser of the rogers - barnett fight for his next fight.
    I like lavar but i'm afraid he just doesn't have the overall skills to make it as a top 20 HW in MMA,his skills are to limited and age is not on his side,but I still like to watch him fight because he allways brings his best,give him Griggs in his next fight and he will batter him IMO.

Once the undercard was over,what it really showed me was just how big the gap between the top HW's in strikeforce and the rest is,Arlovski was the first man out,but i still thinks he beats everyone of these fighters on the undercard,maybe not Del rosario,I think that's 50/50, that would be a good next fight for both though.

i predicted that sergei would stop Arlovski in the first,but i was kind of holding on to abit of hope that arlovski could refind some form and pull this one out(i kind of get you cro cop fans abit more now Laughing )
    Arlovski actually started well,his striking was looking clean and he was winning the striking battle(de ja vue Fedor fight)while i thought sergei looked slow and sluggish to be honest,but even though arlovski's head movement looked good,he didn't circle out and kept letting sergei put him into the cage where he couldn't move left or right,from there it was only a matter of time before arlovski's china chin was exposed again,sergei clinched,hit Andre with a few uppercuts before stepping back into power range and cracking and dropping arlovski,he followed him down,landing a couple more finishing shots,which left unconcious and with that stare that i'm fed up with seeing anymore and don't care for seeing again on arlovskis face.
    thanks for a few good memories andrei,but I think it's time to call it a day or find a promoter that will give you and timmeh one last payday.

I was buzzing in anticipation for the main event and it didn't let us down at all.
    I was expecting fedor to land that big overhand in the first and make this an easy 1st rd victory,but how wrong could I be.
    the first rd was great,Fedor came out swinging for the fences,but just couldn't connect with anything clean,he landed a few but so did silva,snapping fedors head back a few times.Fedor managed to get silva on his back after working for the Guillotine and attempted to finish it with a kimura,but silva powered his way out and got back to his feet,after a few more exchanges,silva managed to finish the rd with a takedown.
    I gave the first rd to fedor,but it was very close,and fedor didn't look to confident or fresh going back to his corner,this is when my butterflys just multiplied and I started thinking,shit Silva's just to big and strong for fedor,(the same feeling I got after the griffin -franklin 1st rd came to an end,but they were evenly matched compared to this really)what can he do apart from land that big overhand shot,but come on,it's fedor,he'll pull something out.

Then shortly into the second rd,after a quick takedown,it became clear that Fedor was in a heap of shit once Silva managed to get on top and started unloading his big caveman punches.
    fedor face was taking a pounding,but fedor just couldn't shake silva,there was no way fedor could overcome a 55lb weight disadvantage,all he could do was keep rolling to his front,giving up his back to escape the punishment,then when silva went for the choke,he had to roll back and take more damage,he was stuck between a rock and a hard place,and I could see no escape for him,I think Silva was afraid of gassing himself out by raining anymore strikes,so he moved into a side choke,he looked like he had it in deep and when a 285lb man is sqeezing like that after spending 4 mins pounding the shit out of your head,i thought it was over,but fedor managed to roll out of it cheers
    Silva went for a knee bar at the end,while fedor went for an ankle.
    I had to score that as a 10-8 to silva

Fedor survived,when i didn't possibly see a way he was getting out of that rd,I was buzzing,shit come on lets get this third rd on.

Then shit,what an anti climax,the ref stops the fight and fedor stays on his stool,without any protest,come on kos's eye was like that after the 1st rd and he fought another 4 rds.
    I'm being harsh,I can see why it was stopped,if he can't see,it should be stopped,i was just gutted that this great fight ended that way.

What happened though,did fedor say he couldn't see to the doc or ref,in that case the ref had no chioce but to stop the fight,did fedor's corner say something to stop it,or did the doctor just stop it instantly when he looked at the eye,usually the doc would ask questions and test if he could see first before calling off a fight,this decision seemed to be instant without any checks,or did i miss it.

After hearing fedor talk about calling it a day,i was even more gutted that he lost,all i could think of was no Werdum rematch and no Reem fight,no barnett fight,bollox it fucked up alot of fights that i wanted to see.

i don't want to take anything away from bigfoot and this is not just sour grapes because fedor lost,but i'm still not sold on bigfoot,it was a great performance and a great win for him,but I can't put this win past anything other than he's a skilled fighter that out wieghed his opponent by 55lbs,and size and strength is what won this fight,thats like a LW at his walking around wieght fighting a LHW at his walking around wieght,basically BJ vs jon Jones.

I'm not that interested in seeing another bigfoot - werdum fight,so I hope Reem wins,so we can get a bigfoot v Reem semi final.

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:

Can we say Fedor has lost speed and explosivity? i think so.

I'm not sure, nog and him are about ther same size. But to be honest, it looked to me last night that fedor was not in as good shape as usual. I know he's never been ripped, but he looked less toned than before.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

POZ - "On the plus side....Overeem vs Sefo Overeem Sub 1st TRUMP cheers "

I had him down as 2nd round KO just to rub it in mate and it was my trump Razz
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:31 pm

if you retire after 2 losses u are a pussy. sry to break it to u about 14 hours ago via web

(Brett Rogers twitter)

Neutral

hope Josh snaps him with a double armbar.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:if you retire after 2 losses u are a pussy. sry to break it to u about 14 hours ago via web

(Brett Rogers twitter)

Neutral

Brett Who? Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

i dunno how to use them spoiler boxes, but all ill say is good event just dissapointed with the outcome, anyone know what the fall out from this is? where they see the losers of the fights going from here,
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:if you retire after 2 losses u are a pussy. sry to break it to u about 14 hours ago via web

(Brett Rogers twitter)

Neutral

brett rogers doesnt have twitter, that's a fake account

though I also hope Josh owns him ! yay
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:I honestly don't see it as a "real" loss....he wasnt knocked out, submitted, out-pointed, and he was intelligently defending the entire time.
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 003_Fedor_Emelianenko_vs_Antonio_Silva1_crop_340x234

'Nuff said.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 pm

mikeyboybisping wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:I honestly don't see it as a "real" loss....he wasnt knocked out, submitted, out-pointed, and he was intelligently defending the entire time.
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 003_Fedor_Emelianenko_vs_Antonio_Silva1_crop_340x234

'Nuff said.

is it fair to say if Fedor had Anderson Silva's skin he would have only 1 loss and not 3? lol
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Anderson Silva's skin? What's that got to do with the price of cheese?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I can't believe that nobodies commented on

GINA'S BACK cheers cheers cheers bounce bounce geek I love you I love you

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=576138183102&id=94c3e74f353f56fb396f10c60fad66db&url=http%3a%2f%2fimage2.linkinn.com%2fuserfile%2fpictures_0911%2fImage%2fGina_Carano_9
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=406218082095&id=a3c843a53f59e012624577813f850250&url=http%3a%2f%2fzewkey.com%2fGinaCarano
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=644983947469&id=3e808e3acefd5db3f695f8e2fb65af6b&url=http%3a%2f%2fi.cdn.turner.com%2fsi%2f2009%2fimages%2f08%2f14%2fgina-carano
    Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=479161159974&id=32822619105185e91e5babe76c26757e&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ifiwasafitgirl.com%2fblog%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2010%2f01%2fgina-carano-espn-body-1
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 am

It's not her back we're interested in.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Lol I have to say when Fedor is defending off his back I do cringe abit he just helplessly waves his hands around everywhere and I constantly think shit the refs guna stop this soon... I wouldn't call it intelligent, just wish he'd sank that ankle lock in =(

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:01 pm