THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
manschesthair_utd
pinsman
Mryzyz
Sheldan
rudeboyben84
Sly Uses
superman_punch
Cowboys From Hell
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
efils_god
The_Axe_Emperor
16 posters

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) Empty Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 am

DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT WHEN YOU TYPE OUT A MASSIVE REVIEW FOR ALL YOUR ONLINE BUDDIES TO READ YET YOU STUPIDLY CLICK A LINK AND LOSE IT ALL! Sad

Well, as i'm hungover and can never stay asleep whilst hanging i guess i'll do the review for an event that sprung a few surprises.

First of all the video's if you haven't seen the fights yet (don't worry there's no chance of a spoiler as long as you watch the fights in order, i've also put my review in spoiler tags at the very bottom of this page, just roll over and click to view);

Chad Griggs vs Gian Villante

Valentijn Overeem vs Ray Sefo

Shane Del Rosario vs Lavar Johnson

Andrei Arlovski vs Sergei Kharitonov

Fedor Emelianenko vs Antonio Silva

Spoiler:
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) Empty Re: Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:48 am

Spoiler:
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler) Empty Re: Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Review (and videos with no chance of spoiler)

Post  efils_god Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 am

Spoiler:
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 am

Spoiler:
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:56 am

Spoiler:
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Spoiler:
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Spoiler:
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:
    Spoiler:

Really? Frank is a great commentator, Gus is absolute shit though, a poor mans Mike Goldberg.

My ideal commentary team would be Joe Rogan, Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Spoiler:
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Two very enjoyable first round matchups
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Cowboy From Hell wrote:
    Spoiler:

Really? Frank is a great commentator, Gus is absolute shit though, a poor mans Mike Goldberg.

My ideal commentary team would be Joe Rogan, Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo.

TBH I prefer Miletich over Shamrock most of my disdain is guided more towards Johnson I really find him annoying The thing with Frank sometimes he seems to get too personal towards fighters (Shields & Thompson) and seems very bitter.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Spoiler:
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Spoiler:
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Spoiler:
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Spoiler:
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Spoiler:
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Spoiler:
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:38 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Spoiler:

leaving spoilers now cos on the 2nd page

I agree with Werdum catching that sub because of his lankiness but he can sub anyone at HW in the same manner and Fedor does have pretty broad shoulders, regardless of weight, which is why Nog couldnt land anything in 03.

I think Barnetts gameplan vs. Fedor would be the same regardless of Fedor's fights vs Rogers and Bigfoot etc as Barnett doesnt really diversify much. I dont think Barnett could carry it out cos I dont think his wrestling is good enough really, and even on top I dont think he'd be likely to finish Fedor.

Fedor could have a better training camp definitely. I think he was training with Maxim Grishin before who is a solid heavyweight but not who you want to bring in. I think Fedor neglected his ground game over the years too and never looked as solid in that aspect as he did vs. Nog in their first fight. I think Fedor likes training with who he likes training with and has a real familial approach to his camp which maybe held him back, but he wouldnt be the same person if he didnt.

If you just look at ranked wins then theres a good chance GSP or Anderson will have a more impressive resume than Fedor in the next couple years, but Ill always be of the opinion that Fedor is the GOAT. He's about the same weight as Anderson Silva, but fights guys who cut to make 265.

Wouldnt mind seeing a Hendo fight because theyre both legends. I hope Barnett-Fedor gets made at some point too.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I and i think Fedor aswell was shocked when he wasnt able to light Bigfoot up on the feet in the 1st round as he has done his last few opponents and every other opponent with a size advantage.

I think Fedor is declining he's loosing his speed and power, i dont mean to thrash Bigfoot but only a few weeks ago, he got lit up in the 1st round by a 205lb scumbag who is nowhere near the rankings at LHW and on 1 weeks notice.

I hate to say, but i think M-1 have ruined Fedor's career by keeping him so inactive when he was in his prime, i see Fedor getting beat by a good few HW's out there, Overeem would have killed him last night, Cain would have took him down and just kept blasting on the head over and over.....

I dont see Fedor coming back to fight anymore and even if he does i dont think he will change much in his training and definalty not his weight class.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Sheldan wrote:Coker has said that Fedor will be the first alternative now if somebody gets injured, I understand Fedor is Fedor but come on thats not right. You have 3 guys out there who went and put on great performances in SDR, Griggs and V.Overeem, and now because Fedor lost, he gets to just straight in to the 1st alternate spot. They're pushing desperatly for this Overeem-Fedor fight, but after what Big Foot did to Fedor, I don't know why you would want to see Fedor in there with Overeem, because it won't be a doctor stopping the fight this time, it will be the referee.

Now i like Fedor as much, if not more, than the next guy, but that is just complete bullshit!

Promise 3 guys the chance to be called up on if need be, they go out and perform, get the win and then get ignored for someone who just got comprehensively beaten in his first round matchup.

Fedor or not that is completely ridiculous, he's had his time, now give fighters like Del Rosario a chance.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:Coker has said that Fedor will be the first alternative now if somebody gets injured, I understand Fedor is Fedor but come on thats not right. You have 3 guys out there who went and put on great performances in SDR, Griggs and V.Overeem, and now because Fedor lost, he gets to just straight in to the 1st alternate spot. They're pushing desperatly for this Overeem-Fedor fight, but after what Big Foot did to Fedor, I don't know why you would want to see Fedor in there with Overeem, because it won't be a doctor stopping the fight this time, it will be the referee.

Now i like Fedor as much, if not more, than the next guy, but that is just complete bullshit!

Promise 3 guys the chance to be called up on if need be, they go out and perform, get the win and then get ignored for someone who just got comprehensively beaten in his first round matchup.

Fedor or not that is completely ridiculous, he's had his time, now give fighters like Del Rosario a chance.

Agree, there was no point in those alterate match-ups if you were gonna give a loser a chance anyway. Why not Arlovski too then?!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:53 pm

efils_god wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

Agree, there was no point in those alterate match-ups if you were gonna give a loser a chance anyway. Why not Arlovski too then?!

Arlovski's probably still snoozing.

They clearly just want to pit Overeem and Fedor together no matter what, and i think Scott Coker is gonna try twist everything he can to make that matchup.

However Fedor will retire so he can try all he wants alien

==== ====

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The familiar script seemed ready to play out one more time.

Fedor Emelianenko, the greatest heavyweight in mixed martial arts history, gave up considerable size, height and reach to an intimidating foe. The stoic native of Stary Oskol, Russia, would find himself in trouble.

Somehow, he’d fight his way out, floor his opponent with a big overhand right, and add to his collection of action-movie finishes.

Not this time.

The 34-year-old was overwhelmed by Brazilian giant Antonio Silva on Saturday night, taken down to the Izod Center mat and pummeled with an endless array of punches and submission attempts.

There was no heroic comeback. The second round ended. Emelianenko’s face was a hideous mess, his right eye swollen shut. The cageside doctor was not about to let him continue with a possible cracked orbital bone.

The fight ended, and so did an era.

It may seem like Emelianenko was suddenly knocked from his perch over the course of two brutal rounds of action, but the seeds for his downfall were sown while he was still riding high.

When the Japan-based PRIDE folded four years ago, Emelianenko was almost universally regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Other fighters flocked to the UFC, but Emelianenko’s management, headed by Vadim Finkelstein, took a different path. They aggressively sought every last dollar and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, wringing massive contracts out of wanna-be promotional marks like BodogFight and Affliction.

That could only happen as long as Emelianenko maintained his unbeatable mystique, which meant from 2007 and onward, the Russian no longer pushed himself against the best competition the fight world had to offer. Emelianenko fought middleweight Matt Lindland in the first and only Bodog event of note. He fought inexperienced Hong Man Choi in Japan. He disappeared from the scene for months on end, as promotional partnerships fell apart and Finkelstein and Co. sought new deals.

Meanwhile, the rest of the heavyweight division was fighting and improving as the talent pool deepened. The UFC offered Emelianenko a reported $5 million per fight and an immediate shot at then-champion Brock Lesnar in the summer of 2009. The offer was turned down, and Emelianenko instead went to Strikeforce.

Fedor struggled in his first Strikeforce match, against unheralded Brett Rogers. But Emelianenko rallied and won with a home-run knockout punch, so his lackluster performance until that point went largely unnoticed.

In June, Emelianenko was submitted in under two minutes by Fabricio Werdum, a fighter who previously was best known for being cut from the UFC roster.

Of course, even the best can be caught by a jiu-jitsu ace like Werdum, so Emelianenko again was given a pass.

Saturday night, though, left no doubt that the heavyweight division has passed Fedor by. No matter how much heart he possessed in the cage, or how much class he possesses outside it, a 230-pound heavyweight can’t isolate himself, be controlled by management that always seemed to come up with reasons to avoid elite opponents, and remain at the top of the class.

His opponent, Silva, is a solid and respectable pro, but not one who was considered elite before Saturday night. Silva had no signature wins before defeating Fedor, with an array of journeymen like Ricco Rodriguez and Mike Kyle among his conquests.

Silva was 285 by the time he entered the cage Saturday, a 55-pound advantage over his foe. He had 4½ inches of height on Emelianenko and a considerable reach advantage. Even in the back-and-forth first round, Silva had an obvious strength advantage. The second round was like watching a schoolyard bully torment a victim, and while Emelianenko showed great courage in surviving a 10-8 round, he simply had no answer for anything Silva dished out.

“A lot of people say he has the strength of a bear,” Silva said at the post-fight press conference, “but I have the strength of a Bigfoot.”

The ever-gracious and humble Emelianenko, who went to the hospital immediately after the fight, seemed to make his intentions clear in the cage. “Maybe it is the time to leave,” he told an interpreter. “Maybe it is the last time. Maybe it is my time.”

But the money men seemed in complete denial of what went down. Finkelstein, whose M-1 “promotion” basically exists as Emelianenko’s personal vehicle, isn’t in any rush to let go of his meal ticket.

“Everyone saw how the fans greeted him,” Finkelstein said. “He’s had a wonderful career. I think the stoppage isn’t such a clear-cut thing. He will find the strength to go on in the future. … With God’s help, we will see Fedor back in the cage.”

Strikeforce promoter Scott Coker, understandably, was trying to put his best face on an evening that delivered the fans a night of exciting action, but wreaked havoc on the marketability of his Grand Prix tournament. The two fighters considered the biggest names to American fans – Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski – were defeated, the latter via his third knockout in his past four fights.

That leaves Coker trying to sell the public on several fighters who for the most part are high quality but not ticket sellers or ratings draws, like Werdum and Strikeforce heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem.

Coker floated the idea Emelianenko could be reinserted into the tournament down the road as an alternate.

“Fedor always comes back,” said Coker. “As for retirement, people get emotional. … I expect he’ll be back. You never know, he could come back [into the tournament] if there’s an injury.”

But this, quite frankly, would make a farce of the entire tournament concept. What’s the point of having a tournament if someone who was brutally eliminated is given a free pass back into the competition?

Hopefully, it won’t get to that. Hopefully, if Emelianenko really does want out, he’ll be allowed to retire. Despite all the big fights his management left on the table over the years, despite the long absences and subpar opposition, Emelianenko’s legacy is still that of the sport’s first great heavyweight, the man who used his heart and skill to overcome his foes time and again, the man who made new MMA fans the world over.

If he gets out now, that legacy will stay unspoiled.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AuyX2fGbvnHhuZRqbyXtIQk9Eo14?slug=dd-emelianenko021211

What do you all make of that?
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

I like how it mentions Lindland/HMC before he joined SF, but doesnt mention Arlovski, Sylvia or the proposed Barnett bout. Then how Werdum is best known for being cut from the UFC roster. Maybe to someone who only watches the UFC he would be known for being an ex UFC fighter..but still not known for being "cut".

Silva was pretty much ranked top ten by everybody going into the fight, and it says he wasnt considered elite? M-1 isnt Fedor's personal vehicle either, theyre the no.1 promotion in Europe as far as strength of roster goes.

Revisionist history.

Yahoo sports is awful too. Most MMA journalists are hardly MMA fans, just fans of the UFC brand that might occasionally deign to watch Strikeforce or a NYE event. They dont have a MMA section on that site, but rather a UFC section which sums it up pretty well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:38 am