THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
hendos_right_hook
KJGould
Fedorable
redmeanie77
wilksdaman
11 posters

Fedor vs Rogers !SPOILER!

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Fedor vs Rogers !SPOILER! Empty Fedor vs Rogers !SPOILER!

Post  wilksdaman Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:44 pm

What an awesome fight.

I've only managed to watch a rough copy of it on youtube, but damn, it had it all. Fedor came through again and finished in amazing style. That fight should have hushed all the Fedor haters. He came in to a completely different fighting environment, against a huge opponent. Did him over and in an entertaining, crowd pleasing way.

Fedor looked to be in trouble when Rogers was landing big shots on his face when he was down, but as he so often has done in the past, Fedor switched it around and landed a beautiful haymaker to put the big boy to sleep.

What happened after the fight? Apparently Rogers wasnt very gracious in defeat?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor vs Rogers !SPOILER! Empty Re: Fedor vs Rogers !SPOILER!

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Fedorable
    Fedorable
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Fedorable Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I am always very nervous when Fedor fights, I don't know why. Yet again he proves his worth. Rogers wasn't very gracious in defeat but still, I was impressed with how he fought, but when Fedor decides it time to end the fight it doesn't seem anyone can do much about it.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Good fight. Brett did well, he just became too stationary on the feet in the second round.

And actually this is the best thing to happen for Strikeforce. Fedor looks great, but he also looks human which means selling future fights with their Heavyweights has become a lot, lot easier.

Werdum vs Fedor looks a lot more interesting now because Rogers vs Fedor wasn't a complete blowout.

Shields resorted to his wrestling to grind out a win. Mayhem had him in trouble a couple of times and I gave 2 of the rounds to mayhem (first and third from memory). It's funny, I thought Mayhem's wrestling would be a lot better considering the amount of time he's trained at team quest.

Mousasi got tested by Sokodjou, but the thing with Sokodjou is if he's trained properly he still only looks like a monster in the first round. Then ge gasses out in the second after expending his energy. I don't think Sokodjou has ever won a fight that's gone past the first round.

Werdum vs Silva was surpisingly good. It was one of the most active, back and forth HeavyWeight fights I can remember seeing, and neither guy gassed out. It just shows what a complete embarassment this season of TUF is by comparisson. I was also glad the ref let it continue in the first round as some refs jump in way too early even when the guy isn't really in any danger.

Great night of fights, and loads more exciting then the boxing.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Great fight, but suprising in many ways (except the result Very Happy). At times I actually thought Fedor was beaten, in particular when he was on the bottom being GnP, and pinned against the cage(an unfamiliar position). Out they come in the second round and the Last Emperor does the business, great KO.

Any idea who the fight of the night, ko of the night went to?
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Didn't know they did those bonuses.

I would guess Coenen got sub of the night, Werdum vs Silva for me was fight of the night, and Fedor probably got KO of the night. Those would be my picks.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:42 pm

To be honest, I don't know if they do, I'm fairly new to Strikeforce Rolling Eyes
    Fedorable
    Fedorable
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Fedorable Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:16 pm

OUCH!

And most awesome line from this fight has to be the one posted on Sherdog, but originally twittered by someone.

'Last time a Russian hit a brother theat hard, Ivan Drago killed Apollo Creed'
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:49 pm

A great card!

Silva vs Werdum was an excellent fight, back and forth. Really hard to call, could have gone either way!

Mousasi vs Soko was far better than expected and Soko really gave him a fight. Mousasi is just a beast though. Amazing ground and pound.

I thought Shields vs Miller was a blow-out. All 5 rounds to Shields who dry-humped his way to victory. Had the 3rd round gone 20 seconds longer Miller would have won the fight with the RNC but i didn't think he did anything else.

The Fedor fight was great, but a bit more one-sided than i first thought. Fedor wobbled Rogers 3 times, took him down 3 times, had a couple of submission attempts and then knocked him out. Rogers did bust Fedor's nose but it was with a jab moreso than a power shot and then he did have like 5 seconds of GnP which almost resulted in him getting armbarred(as SunThunder said last night, who tries to counter GnP with an armbar!? Insane!).

Fedor got the win after a bit of a scare but he still looks like a machine.

Rogers came off better than expected from the fight but then made himself look like a total prick by claiming he would have won it he's thrown more punches and that he'd win a rematch. If he'd been more aggressive he'd have gotten knocked out even earlier!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Absolutely great fights and I don't think there was a dull round all night.

Werdum showed great heart as I thought he wouldn't make it out of the first at one stage,he hung in there and took controll of the fight from early on in the second rd showing us some fantastic movement on the ground in the process.Bigfoot started great and easily won the first rd with some good solid strikes but he quickly tired early in the 2nd.Neither fighter for me are top 10 fighters but they put on a great fight and am looking forward to there next fights.
    I thought Werdum edged it 2-1.

Soko I thought started very nervy I thought as Mousasi had him backing up with every punch but then Soko slowly started to get into the fight,Mousasi struggled with Soko in the back half of the first rd as Soko showed some absolutely world class hips by powering out of sub attempts and reversing Mousasi.Then in typical Soko style he gasssed,Mousasi got him mounted and with the venom that Mousasi hits and the fact Soko had nothing left when it came to getting off his back,it was just a matter of time.

Good fight but Mousasi needs better opponents

Shields and Miller put on a very technical ground battle,which Shields basicly controlled all 5 rds but Mayhem was probably 2 seconds away from putting Shields to sleep at the end of rd 3.I enjoyed this fight as we got to see many sub attempts and nearly every escape in the book,Mayhems monkey roll to escape just after Shamrock called it was great.I can't really remeber if there was any decent punches landed but then again I can't remember if there were any punches thrown.

A very good GSP style(without the strikes)win from Shields,total controll from start to finish

Fedor won the fight in his usual spectacular fashion but Rogers still ask questions and did himself proud(apart from his crying to the cameras at the end),Rogers first jab he landed broke Fedors nose,which some may say may have really effected Fedor for the rest of the fight.Fedor landed some good shots on Rogers but to be fair he took them well and at one stage blocked a flurry of punches from Fedor and then walked straight forward looking for Fedor with a comb of his own.Fedor managed to get Rogers down a few times but the big surprise for me was that he couldn't controll him there and even got reversed,where I thought he was doomed to be fair,eating some big punches from above.One thing we learn about the Legend is by no means ever think he is done.Fedor came out of rd 1 winning without a doubt but to be fair I don't think he can recall many harder rounds he has had to endure through his carear.Then in the 2nd it was a case of don't blink,Rogers loads up but it just happened to be a split second after Fedor and crack,lights out,another clinical,acurate punch straight down the pipe and onto the end of Rogers chin.

Very enjoyable fight and never for the life of me saw the 1st rd panning out like it did.Not sure about a automatic rematch to be honest,I'd like to see Rogers fuck Overeem up first to be honest.
    Great show put on by Strikeforce and can't wait for there next one
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:06 pm

I think Miller's style on the ground is amazing!
    He gives up so many strong positions and yet he never really is in danger of getting subbed.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm

One other thing, I downloaded the event last night after watching it(www.xtremespeeds.net - amazing site) and watched it again today and one of the reasons it was so enjoyable was the commentary. Johnson and Ranello really know their stuff and really given an unbiased play by play. And Frank Shamrock is just great. Knows his stuff, can see things before they happen, and calls it right down the middle.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Very good card, lot of great fights.

Werdum vs Silva was good, Werdum started slow, lost the first round but won the last two IMO. He did well. A fedor-Werdum fight isn't that intresting because Werdum only has a chance on the ground and even there Fedor has an advanatge.

Soku vs Mousassi

Dissapointed to be honest in Soku, his conditioning is abysmal. Im a fan of Soku and I was going for him, he won the first round IMO but again his conditioning let him down. I seriously think he could have beaten Mousassi with better conditioning but oh well. If he worked on that he could be a real force but for now, its back to Jan the giant Nortje.

Miller vs Shields
    Good gameplan by Shields, well executed perfect fight. Well done Shields.

Fedor vs Rogers
    Entertaining fight, first round was close. Rogers did better than expected getting some good shots in and opening a cut on Fedor. Fedor got some takedowns but a very close round that could have gone either way. Fedor didn't look that good, he got caught a few times and had his nose brocken but MAN what a fucking punch, coolest KO ive ever seen. Fatal shot out of nowhere, I was stunned after seeing that. Proves why he is the best HW on the planet. Well done Fedor.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:12 am

i was bricking it when they said he had broken his nose and was pouring blood....

...what an idiot i am

never doubt Fedor!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:16 am

Mate you should have been here on last night, Myself, Sun, Payne and Shane were on the Chatbox with a collective dose of diarrhoea! Then he won and we were like, was there ever any doubt! Haha!

That KO punch was just scary. I wonder if they could measure who he hit harder, Arlovski or Rogers.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:02 am

My heart stopped when Roger was landing bombs on Fedor when Fedor was pressed up against cage.

Did you see the ref cam after round 1? im sure Big john thought about stopping it for a second. We have seen fights stopped for much less and an incompetent ref may have stopped it (mazzagati).

Fedor was in serious trouble there, but somehow he pulled off an armbar attempt that made Rogers stop and roll out of it. If it wasnt for that he was a few more shots away from getting stopped.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Anfield

Im sure he hit Rogers harder, Arvloski isn't that hard to KO, but what he did to Rogers was incredible. He swept of his feet, best punch ive seen in MMA. Just incredible. Too bad it didn't knock some arrogance out of Rogers.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I think he hit ROgers harder, he near knocked himself over throwing all his weight behind that shot!!! Arolvski probabally made the punch 10X worse by flying through the air into it!! Laughing
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 pm

I'd reckon the Rogers punch would have been the harder of the two. However, as Arlovski jumped into the shot it caused more damage, especially on his suspect chin.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:31 pm