THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Albion_Oakley
poz
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
The_Axe_Emperor
9 posters

Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva

Poll

Should the Fedor- Silva fight have went to a third round? And should Andrei Arlovski retire?

[ 7 ]
    Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_lcap21%Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_rcap [21%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_lcap33%Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_lcap33%Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_lcap12%Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva I_vote_rcap [12%] 

Total Votes: 33
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Empty Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Pretty much self-explanatory.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Empty Re: Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 pm

I agree with Reem etc who said it could have gone to round 3...i mean look at GSP Koscheck!!

they should have cut it like Rocky.

I didnt vote on Arlovski because its not my place to say.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Empty Re: Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Arlovski should retire IMO because I dont want to see him talking like James Toney, he is a fantastic natural tallent but I dont want to see anyone slurring their speach because of the type of KO's he has been taking.

Fedor fight should have been stopped, He couldnt see out of the eye at all. I dont know if Kos could or not, there have been fighters with worse looking faces allowed to continue but if a fighers has only 1 functional eye its time to stop it. If you loose use of an eye your depth perception is gone and with that your ability to judge distances. Id have loved Fedor to continue and win but I think it was a fair call
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

The call was right I think, my heart says miraculous comeback, but Fedor was fucked, I think we all know that deep down.
    Unless Arlovski can grow that beard into a huge pillow then yes he should.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 am

Interesting, rather split results so far.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Arlovski should retire IMO because I dont want to see him talking like James Toney, he is a fantastic natural tallent but I dont want to see anyone slurring their speach because of the type of KO's he has been taking.

Fedor fight should have been stopped, He couldnt see out of the eye at all. I dont know if Kos could or not, there have been fighters with worse looking faces allowed to continue but if a fighers has only 1 functional eye its time to stop it. If you loose use of an eye your depth perception is gone and with that your ability to judge distances. Id have loved Fedor to continue and win but I think it was a fair call

100% agree. In fact I think they should probably both retire, albeit for different reasons. Arlovski for his health, when a chin goes that badly its for a reason and he could end up with long term damage.

With fedor, he should rightly be considered the greatest ever heavyweight, but it seems the sport has caught up with him. In boxing, individuals are sometimes afforded some protection in these situations, a good example being Holyfield. He can beat the Botha's and hang with the valuevs of this world but shouldnt be anywhere near the klitschos and hayes. In MMA, the top of the pyramid is very competetive and the only former "elite fighter" who I can think of having carved out a niche fighting lesser names is Severn. If fedor bows out now, he keeps his legacy totally intact and goes at the right time.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I really hope Arlovski does retire for his own safety and well being I did read an interesting article on Bloody Elbow on why Arlovski should never be medically cleared to fight by any Athletic Commission.

As for Fedor I sadly do believe It was the right decision I understand why some fans feelings are mixed maybe he could have made a miraculous come back and Stop Big Foot yet again he could have got battered and bruised for another Round and possibly stopped.

For me the most Important thing is no one in his corner including Fedor didn't object the decision that speaks volumes for me on why it was the right decision.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

I dont think Fedor and his Russian orthadox priest corner-man are the type of guys to protest an official decision. Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 pm

i wanted to see a miraculous fedor comeback but i feel at the risk of long term damage to his eye it was the right call.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Arlovski needs to stop, as others have said it's a clear case of the man needing to do the right thing for his health. He should take on Ken in a specially constructed glass octagon for a glass-jaw retirement fight. First one to get sparked out wins.

As for Fedor, he probably could have pulled out a win even with one eye if luck went his way, but rules are there for a reason and without them the sport really would be barbaric. He always said he doesn't dwell on wins or losses, only on his opinion of his own performance, and regardless of whether the fight continued he will go away knowing he fell short on this occasion.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm

AA's punch resistance (such as it was) is completely gone, I would much prefer to not see him take any further punishment.

With regards to Fedor, I've said many times, about many fighters, that I hate to see fighters carry on past their best. Remember seeing the great Mohammed Ali fight on way later than he should, and whilst you're not going to get the accumulative damage (in MMA) that you do in boxing, but my point remains. Fedor should retire, unless there is any underlying reason behind his performance against Silva (and NOT that ridiculous claim of hypnotism).

Back to the point though, the fight with Silva was stopped correctly, IMO. Fedor was getting completely owned in the fight and his eye was screwed, who knows what damage he would have taken, had the fight continued.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

The only "underlying reason" for his loss was size.

He wasn't outsmarted, he wasn't outfought, he was simply outweighed.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:The only "underlying reason" for his loss was size.

That may well be the case Axe, Fedor has been outweighed before and it hasn't had such an effect. I honestly think that old father time has caught up with Fedor, a career of being outweighed and being far superior to his opposition has had an effect. It's too late for a move to LHW, which is arguably where Fedor should have been right the way through his career.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:The only "underlying reason" for his loss was size.

That may well be the case Axe, Fedor has been outweighed before and it hasn't had such an effect. I honestly think that old father time has caught up with Fedor, a career of being outweighed and being far superior to his opposition has had an effect. It's too late for a move to LHW, which is arguably where Fedor should have been right the way through his career.

Amen to that! Old Father Time.....is a bastard!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:AA's punch resistance (such as it was) is completely gone, I would much prefer to not see him take any further punishment.

With regards to Fedor, I've said many times, about many fighters, that I hate to see fighters carry on past their best. Remember seeing the great Mohammed Ali fight on way later than he should, and whilst you're not going to get the accumulative damage (in MMA) that you do in boxing, but my point remains. Fedor should retire, unless there is any underlying reason behind his performance against Silva (and NOT that ridiculous claim of hypnotism).

Back to the point though, the fight with Silva was stopped correctly, IMO. Fedor was getting completely owned in the fight and his eye was screwed, who knows what damage he would have taken, had the fight continued.

You realise Arlovski was brutally KTFO by a single punch in his MMA debut right? lol!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Two questions following Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva 20110217010116_IMG_9996

Andrei Arlovski suffered his fourth straight defeat Saturday, but trainer Greg Jackson remains hopeful that the former UFC heavyweight champion can still get his career back on track.

“I think he’s going to come back a better fighter,” Jackson said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “You have to remember I’m a diehard optimist. It’s really hard to discourage me or tell me it shouldn’t be done or it can’t be done. I’m a guy that I think I know what to do to fix it. I’m going to try everything I can to do that.”

Arlovski was knocked out in the first round of his Strikeforce heavyweight matchup against Sergei Kharitonov. Jackson explained that Arlovski followed the game plan initially but then veered away from it.

“He kind of hesitated standing in front of [Kharitonov] and was grabbing around the neck and doing stuff that we hadn’t planned,” Jackson said. “For me, that’s part of the learning process. It didn’t go our way because we made some fundamental mistakes that we weren’t supposed to make. Of course you don’t want to stand in front of Kharitonov no matter who you are. He’s got bombs in either of those hands of his. We were doing very, very well following the game plan and we kind of had a lapse.”

One major criticism of Arlovski is his chin. However, Jackson disagreed that his fighter’s ability to take a punch is the issue.

“He got hit really hard by ‘Bigfoot’ Silva as well. He was taking some hard shots and was able to weather that storm,” Jackson said of the May 2010 decision Arlovski dropped to Antonio Silva. “He lost the decision of course, but still, he took some shots and was able to hang in there. It’s just these guys that he’s fighting, if you make one mistake with any of them, you’re going to get eaten.”

In Jackson’s view, Arlovski is consistently making the same mistake. The trainer did not go into particulars, but he said he has a beat on it now.

“I’m really identifying the mistake. It went a little deeper than I thought it did,” Jackson said. “Identifying that mistake and changing what we do there is going to be a big, important factor. I don’t think he has a weak chin. I think he’s fighting in a heavyweight division where these guys would knock down a house if they hit it.”

Jackson, who began working with Arlovski some before the Silva fight, is recognized by many as the top trainer in the sport. He believes Arlovski can still be one of the top heavyweights as well.

“I really learned a lot about Andrei and what we need to change and do differently,” Jackson said. “I don’t discourage easily. I want to go right back to the drawing board and attack what I think we need to attack to make him a better fighter.”
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:AA's punch resistance (such as it was) is completely gone, I would much prefer to not see him take any further punishment.

You realise Arlovski was brutally KTFO by a single punch in his MMA debut right? lol!

its a shame for arlovski that his chis is so suspect a few years ago he really was impressive fighter.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:02 pm