THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
SirSquatAlot
Sheldan
13 posters

Fedor Cut From Strikeforce.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor Cut From Strikeforce. Empty Fedor Cut From Strikeforce.

Post  Sheldan Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Fedor Emelianenko is no longer a Strikeforce fighter.

But he is definitely still a Showtime fighter, according to his representatives.

UFC president Dana White said today that the former PRIDE champion's days in the hexagon have come to an end following a third consecutive loss this past Saturday in suburban Chicago.

"You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world," White said at a media scrum following the pre-event press conference for UFC 133. "I said he was overrated for years."

White said "he thought so" when asked whether Emelianenko's contract was up and that Zuffa simply wasn't re-signing him.

The decision to cut Emelianenko, though, wasn't one in which he was involved.

"I'm so far removed from any of that [expletive]," he said.

Reached for comment on the release, M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan said to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "Really? Given that [White] doesn't have a contract with Fedor, interesting."

Kogan stated that Emelianenko's contract lies not with the recently acquired Strikeforce but instead with Showtime Networks, Inc., who played a major role in bringing the Russian back to the negotiating table after talks with Strikeforce broke down in the latter half of 2010.

As part of a deal to bring Emelianenko back to the Strikeforce cage, Showtime negotiated a deal to broadcast four M-1 Global events in 2011. The first of those events took place this past March in Norfolk, Va.

Kogan indicated that Emelianenko may soon find a home with the promotion in which he also holds a minority ownership stake.

Emelienanko was stopped in the first round by Dan Henderson in the main event of "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson." Afterward, he deflected comments about possible retirement and said a decision would be made after he returned to Russia to spend time with his family.
    SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Fedor Cut From Strikeforce. Empty Re: Fedor Cut From Strikeforce.

Post  SirSquatAlot Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Not that it was ever going to happen but looks like Fedor won't ever been fighting in the UFC if that's still Dana's view of him. Not sure how much Dana's opinion counts when it comes to Zuffa but he must be feeling like a right smug bugger right now.

Some great fights for him there, shame.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 pm

I hope that this will pre-empt a retirement from Fedor, with regards to White's statement....Who gives a fuck what he thinks. MMA appears to have passed Fedor by recently, no problems with that, but, there can be no doubt that Fedor was one of the best there was. Speed, strength, great ground game, great stand up (although that was not so much evidence in recent years) and above all, great dignity and sportsmanship. I doubt if we'll see his like again, I just hope that he doesn't try and continue.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:18 pm

There's still a Reem fight for him,since if neither will be fighting under ZUFFA,that'll still be the biggest earner left for either of them outside of ZUFFA,but i think GG get on with M1 about as well as they both get on with ZUFFA,so I doubt they could ever agree on making that fight.

I can't see anywhere apart from headlining a few M1 shows against sub par opponents left for Fedor,maybe the barnett fight might still happen somewhere down the road,if he leaves ZUFFA after this tourney is all over.

I'm starting to doubt that many left in the Strikeforce tourney will actually stay with ZUFFA after that's all finished,I think Cormier will definitely join the UFC,but Bigfoot,Werdum,sergei and barnett,I could easily see go elsewhere and fight at different Orgs,maybe a few will eventually get a chance to fight Reem at a GG event.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 am

cant say that mma has passed him by, i think the fedor that fought nog the 3rd time would have won the last 3 fights - no problem.

his style has changed totally though
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:cant say that mma has passed him by, i think the fedor that fought nog the 3rd time would have won the last 3 fights - no problem.

his style has changed totally though

You reckon Chesty? I've always thought his striking looked reckless at times, and he has been caught on nmore than a couple of occassions. He's always been determined to fight the other fighters fight. I just think that it's primarily his insistance on doing this, that has cost him. Dropping into the guard of Werdum, trying to stand and strike with Hendo. Obviously age has had some impact, but not as much as other factors.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 am

Pretty obvious this would happen sadly, Got a feeling with M-1 having a Showtime contract and Fedor allegedly having a Showtime contract too he will continue on fighting.

I really hope Fedor doesn't go the way of Roy Jones Jr.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

reem fedor watch this space
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Is it even worth pointing out that Dana has no say in this matter and that if the Fertittas want to resign him, he will be resigned??

Also, his contract ending is not Fedor being cut.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 pm

More importantly is that Fedor does not have a contract with Zuffa but with Showtime.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Will there be a NYE event in Japan??

Overeem vs Fedor would generate good business, or Minowa Very Happy

I dont agree with the Fedor has always tried to beat his opponents at there game view, dont remember him Kick boxing with Schilt.

Just think he has become much less varied as a fighter, seems to have the Naseem Hamed syndrome of over relying on that one punch.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:12 pm

i agree with kavik if there is a NYE event then reem v fedor would be a great headline fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

More importantly is that Fedor does not have a contract with Zuffa but with Showtime.

Exactly, if Showtime decide he is fighting on a Strikeforce card, then he is fighting on a Strikeforce card.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 pm

I could be wrong but i really doubt it could work like that.

I don't think they have any say in the match making,surely they can't just turn around to ZUFFA and say we don't care what you say,fedor is fighting say Reem on your card as the main event,we know neither of them are signed to you,but they are now both signed to us and we are highjacking your main event spot,it couldn't happen.

Fedor is signed to showtime,i'm sure they can organise a seperate event to air if they want or he can fight on a M1 card that they will air,but I don't think for a second they can force ZUFFA/Strikeforce to put him on one of there cards,they are just a TV provider to strikeforce/ZUFFA.
    I'm sure Showtime choose which fights make up the televised main card when they are shown the full card,but i'd of thought basically ZUFFA put the events together with the fighters they choose and the only thing they really have to do when Showtime want them to,is just honour the amount of events that was agreed upon in the original contract.

anyway

Fedor Emelianenko Not Hanging Up His Gloves – Admired Heavyweight Fighter Will Continue Fighting

http://www.m-1global.com/2011/08/08/fedor-emelianenko-not-hanging-up-his-gloves-admired-heavyweight-fighter-will-continue-fighting/
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Admired Hw figther.... well assuming they are still active who have we got?

Pedro Rizzo?
    Peter Graham? (just beat Aleks in Russia I think)
    Marcio Cruz?

Would seem 3 half logical opponents (in that order of likelyhood I reckon)

If he was going down the Legends angle he might pick a fight with Dan Severn or Ken Shamrock who are both still active... its a stretch but im struggling to think of who he would fight.

Kimbo for 1 last big money fight? Because honesltly people would watch it! That would be such a shit end to a career though!

Id love a retired legend to fight him mysef..

Bas Rutten, Don Frye or maby Igor any of those would be amazing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 am

Zuffa bought Strikeforce and they also bought all existing deals. They don't have much of a say. Well actually they do, Showtime could say "we're going to have Fedor fight Overeem on Showtime, do you want to put it under your banner. They could say no. But they're not retarded.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Found this the other day From Vadim the other day.

When asked about the situation concerning Fedor and his contract with Showtime, Vadim said:

“With Showtime, we had agreed to three fights with an option for one more. The contract could change if Fedor lost two in a row, which he did, and now the contract is stopped. This is a normal working process. Logically, Showtime will change some things in the contract. But our cooperation will not stop there.”

“Showtime is interested in working with us, and we are interested to work with them. To mark that, Showtime will show Fedor’s fight in Russia. This is a big and expensive project, which will take our cooperation to new heights.”

So I gather Fedor's Showtime deal is done, But they are still interested in doing business in the future.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Fedor will fight on Showtime again but it'll never be under a ZUFFA event,it'll only be for M1 against absolutely shocking opposition,the latest opponent Vadim has mentioned is Fedor vs Randelman again Rolling Eyes
    Whitehead and Wuiff are the other two names being mentioned.

It'll be sad to see Fedor's legacy tarnished even further by having to take on that level of opponent at this stage of his career,especially when there are so many that scrutinize a lot of the opponents on his record already,but really where else can he go.

Retire is what a lot of fans would prefer to see,but i think it's obvious that all the shit about "god will tell me",is basically code for,while Vadim still thinks there are ways to make money from me,then I'll continue to fight.

He could do the thing that would either restore his image as one of todays best fighters or prove that father time and the standard of fighters have just past him,by getting back in the mix with the best fighters and going cap in hand to ZUFFA and take a drastic reduction in pay,with zero perks for M1,but that serves Vadim no purpose at all,so they are better off forgetting about trying to regain or restore his standing in todays game and instead use him to Headline their own cards,while they still have some sort of arrangement with Showtime,fighting lower opposition,while introducing some of there other fighters to a bigger audience.

don't forget,that those kind of wins no matter who the opposition is,will also help restore his image to his army of nuthuggers,who will once again forget all logic and reasoning and go back to the,he was robbed in all those loses,it was the transistion to fighting on US soil,the cage fucked him,jet lag,Herb was payed off,blah blah blah,but none of that matters now,he is now back to his unstoppable best because he just stopped Kevin "THE MONSTER" Randelman in the 1st and it's lucky for Cain etc that he won't fight for ZUFFA,Dana the devil has once again found a way to protect his fighters from the real best fighters in the world.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:38 am

In combat sports, it is customary to fight a can after losing three in a row, right?

What Fedor needs to do is go to a top camp like Jacksons or Blackhouse. Training with your mates in the woods, in modern MMA, will not do.
    That should be Vadims priority. If he holds that much influence over Fedor then he needs to make this change ASAP. A winning Fedor makes a lot more $$$ for M-1 than a losing one.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 am

according to vadim the randleman rumour was a fabrication.

kevin is retired anyways, remember?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Mryzyz wrote:In combat sports, it is customary to fight a can after losing three in a row, right?

What Fedor needs to do is go to a top camp like Jacksons or Blackhouse. Training with your mates in the woods, in modern MMA, will not do.
    That should be Vadims priority. If he holds that much influence over Fedor then he needs to make this change ASAP. A winning Fedor makes a lot more $$$ for M-1 than a losing one.

In boxing maybe,not MMA.

I can't think of many elite fighters in this sport who have actually lost 3 fights back to back,well apart from Tito and Wandi but neither of them were given cans after there third loss,Wandi got matched up against a Jardine who had just beat Chuck and Tito was matched against one of the top young rising prospects in Bader,they were both probably underdogs going into those fights.

I know with fedor being out of ZUFFA,his chioces are very limited,so I can't really blame him for the opposition he's left to choose from(well he could still go to ZUFFA,but we know that will never happen)but there's still the likes of Gonzaga,Abdurahimov,M1's Gugenishvili,Ricco,Monson,they would all be,with him limited options he now has,probably the best challenges left out there for him.

Once you hit those kind of heights in your MMA career,i don't think you ever should fight cans again just to get easy wins back on your record,you drop down to the next level of tough challengers available.

I 100% agree with you about fedors training and training partners though.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:26 pm

The Shocking things is outside Zuffa there are only really Bellator fighters ranked above these 2 who are 41st and 43rd ranked... this is literally as good as it gets for Fedor now!

M-1 say they Laugh at Dana White! Laughing What about this for something to laugh at... They turned down the biggest deal in MMA history which in all likelyhood was against eitehr Brock or Randy and they are both fights Id have backed Fedor to win... so they really should think about who they are laughinh at.

Id like to say M-1 ruined Fedors legacy with their piss poor managment but it was more Fedors fault that theirs.

Fedor is like Lesnar in a way, he just wants a camp full of yes-men where he is the boss and will do things his own way. No one pushed Lesnar to become a good striker and no one pushes Fedor to get into shape or leanr any new techniques (or even a decent sparing partner to keep his techniques sharp)... sure he had the odd week in holland polishing his striking but he didnt want to push himself.

For me Fedor is probabally to blame, being a religious fanatic he is probabally listening to these bearded weirdos who are encouraging him to stay in mother russia... its a sad thing to see such a career wasted due to lazyness and stupidity but ive no sympathy, it was his own decision to go along with this M-1 bollox and it backfired when they held out for more than the millions UFC were offering

Anderson Silva is a couple of good wins away from surpassing him as the GOAT and ive no doubt it will happen.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Payne Monson is still signed to SF even though he lost as far as I know, I reckon they will let him have a run at 205lbs insted of cutting him.

His higher ranked options are in order from fightmatrix (assuming SF and Bellator guys are off limits)

18th Pedro Rizzo
    20th Shamil Abdurahimov
    26th Gabriel Gonzaga
    29th Peter Graham
    31st Ricco Rodriguez*
    32nd Glover Teixeira
    36th Konstantin Gluhov
    38th Satoshi Ishii

Ricco is due to fight in Bellator and honestly I dont know if he is exclusive to Bellator in the US but I assume he can fight in Russia.

I would say he should fight one of these guys preferabally Ricco, Rizzo or Gonzaga for me because they have the name recognition... I think its pretty low to pick a fight with a lot lower ranked less threatening Hw's who arent as big of a draw just to get him a win....

Id honestly even rather Peter Graham... at least it would be like the Crocop - this is for kicking my brothers ass fight!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

God I must admit I did cringe when I heard the names Randleman, Wiuff & Whitehead starting to get sick of M-1 It seems more & more likely don't give a fuck about Fedor as a person but are more concerned about the commodity.

I'll be honest I love Fedor and won't say a bad thing against the man (the fighter not on about M-1) but I think he is done I'm not happy he is continuing lower quality completion or not he is not the same fighter his speed & reflexes has declined dramatically over the last 18 months (to be fair I might even go as far back as the Arlovski fight) I got a horrible feeling Fedor will end up like another hero of mine Roy Jones JR.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    In boxing maybe,not MMA.

There are many examples of MMA fighters fighting a can after a bad run of losses. UFC history is littered with them.

There's also nothing to suggest Fedor is done with Zuffa other than the ramblings of a fool with nothing to do with it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 am