THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
efils_god
paul815
the_king
12 posters

contains a spoiler

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

contains a spoiler  Empty contains a spoiler

Post  the_king Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:42 am

right im emigrating to mars at least there wont be any TUF 12 judges there or wait there may be that way ill lose a 29-28 decision and end up on the sun, ill be dead then.

there was no way nam phan lost that fight, as anfield would say commical.
    paul815
    paul815
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

contains a spoiler  Empty Re: contains a spoiler

Post  paul815 Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 am

I cant believe it either, the judges should be forced to watch it again and explain what they saw.They should NEVER be allowed to judge a fight ever again. scratch
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Agreed, it's incredible the number of dodgy split decisions Garcia has had!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Shocking Exclamation

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:25 pm

too me that was the singal worst call iv ever seen nam won 2 if not 3 rounds,
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 pm

It seems to be frequent with Garcia, not sure if it's his 'constant haymakers' style that wins judges over, but they very rarely land. I had 29-28 Nam. Could have been 30-27 though.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Garcia could have conceivably lost his last 7 fights to be fair. he is 3-3-1

he definitley should have lost this fight, and the fight against korean zombie...and his other win was due to a point deduction...and the draw could have easily gone to Roop.

im not surprised at all though...which is the sad thing because Phan outclassed him.
    Phan always gets a rough ride from the judges, and Garcia always gets gifts.

(horrible robbery!)
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Not too much of a consolation but i'd be surprised if Nam is cut after this, would be very unfair, and he'll get another shot. But he deserves to be 1-0 in the UFC.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:44 pm

contains a spoiler  Boarq

anyone else score it 30-26?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:43 pm

By far the worst decision ive ever seen in combat sports. Yeah i had the 2nd round 10-8. And for a total 30-26 score to Phan.

Its beyond belief, it really is....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:29 pm

That was a horrific decision. Nam won all 3 rounds and the second round was a 10-8. Nam's been ripped off in his last two fights IMO.

Also, Nam looked a lot smaller than Garcia, could he make 135? I think he'd be a contender in that division.

Rogan's rant about judging is one of the few things he's ever said that i completely agree with.

OH! And for those who may be interested and thought they knew better, the camera panned twice in his direction during that rant and standing behind his right shoulder, wearing a cap, stood Eddie Bravo.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 pm

That's two great subs I've never seen before in the last two UFC event's,first we saw Mr wonderful's great one armed Kimura and last night we were treated to another unusual cool submission,I'm not talking about McKenzie's sub,although that was cool as well,I'm talking about Nick Pace's Pace Choke,pretty cool submission.

I'm a little surprised that didn't get the sub of the night award.

contains a spoiler  2cnflty
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Wow their is a huge gulf in excitement between the WEC fighters and fighter from bigger divisions in the UFC.

After watching Nam-Garcia great fight, i felt like pulling my hair out at the next fight between Hendricks-Story.

This merger is going to be good for the WEC folk, and by the end of the year, i can see their interest from MMA community catching up to the current UFC fighters and will overtake them in the future.

In 2-3 yrs time, everyone will be interested in the featherweights and bantamweights, just like how people are interested in the smaller weight classes in boxing now.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:55 pm

contains a spoiler  14xv81

Surprised
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 pm

That one crazy looking record.

I thought Wilkinson fought like a twat though,he knew that Codie has one weapon,be it a very good one,yet he just seemed to keep his neck in the easiest positions possible for Cody to choke him,when it looked to me that he had loads of opportunities to posture up and get his neck out of danger.

I think Wilkinson panicked and bottled it personally.

Here's Garza's flying Knee KO for those that haven't seen it

contains a spoiler  3
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 am

Easily the best squeeze I've ever seen. Unbelievable. I just don't understand why a boxer like Wilkinson would even consider the takedown. Nam Phan knocked the shit out of Cody on the feet, Wilkinson could have done similar.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 am

Cheers for the finish vids payne. Agree, i thought really all Wilkinson needed to do was keep it standing and he'd either win by KO/TKO or cody would gas. Really stupid gameplan/execution there. He had a few opportunities to stand up, but just kept pushing his head back in there!

Think that's the last we'll see of him in the UFC. I noticed he had Rampage with him at the weigh ins, was he in his corner i take it?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Also, Nam got paid the win bonus for his fight apparently. Nice gesture, but does nothing to improve the inherent judging issues.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Nam diserved the win bonus, fair play to them for giving it to him. I hope they match him up with someone as if he won the fight, he doesnt need a step backwards in competition at all.

Bad judges decision of the year and KO of the year for Daley or Garza at the weekend!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:That was a horrific decision. Nam won all 3 rounds and the second round was a 10-8. Nam's been ripped off in his last two fights IMO.

Also, Nam looked a lot smaller than Garcia, could he make 135? I think he'd be a contender in that division.

Rogan's rant about judging is one of the few things he's ever said that i completely agree with.

OH! And for those who may be interested and thought they knew better, the camera panned twice in his direction during that rant and standing behind his right shoulder, wearing a cap, stood Eddie Bravo.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Roger_Huerta_vs_Leonard_Garcia_UFC_69?vid=10001713&tid=100

Garcia wasnt even that small here against Huerta. Nam looked so small because Garcia is one of the biggest guys at 145lbs. I think Nam is ok where he is. I really cant imagine what 2 rounds those jusges saw Garcia winning? Puzzled scratch
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:07 pm

yeah i reckon 145lb is perfect for Nam. Brookins and MJ should probably be looking at 145 lb also.

Brookins actually fought Aldo at WEC at 145lb.
    threeofclubs
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  threeofclubs Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Have they changed the scoring criteria?
    5 missed punches count the same as a punch that lands?
    3 punches blocked by your opponents arms count the same as a punch to the head?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Looks like it Laughing
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm not trying to come off as I'm putting Strikeforce down and bigging up the UFC because once the fights start I don't care what promotion they are under,a fights a fight and i'll be watching it.

I really enjoyed watching the vicious card of KO's that strikeforce put on the other night,but for me it's all about what you want to see from the sport.

I love to watch KO's as much as the next guy,but from a sporting side I also like to watch the UFC put out evenly matched guys,the only down side with this is obviously you tend to get more fights that because there skills are evenly matched,they can cancel each other out and you end up with more of a chess match and more fights going to decisions,but I personally can still really enjoy fights that go to the judges,infact alot of times they are the best fights.

I loved watching BJ KO Hughes the other week but I did feel slightly robbed of a good fight straight afterwards.

The UFC could easily put out a card with as many spectacular KO's if they matched guys like strikeforce mostly have,skill wise,like Rampage vs Krystof,Shogun vs Vera,Belfort v Rivera,Anderson vs Leban (as we already saw),Forest vs Carwin(thats my Bigfoot - Kyle comparison),well you get what I mean.

I'm sure we would all really enjoy all those fights aswell,(even though the UFC would get aload of shit for making these fights from a good section of fans because of the mismatches)because even though we would all easily be able to pick the winners,the better fighters would look great doing there thing and we would be guaranteed to see KO's.(ala the old Pride days)

They are the kind of fights that strikeforce have mostly put out over the last year,fights that are very easy to predict(did anyone actually get any of the Strikeforce predictions wrong?) because one fighter is usually that much better than the other.
    But the beauty with these mismatched fights for us fans is that you are so much more likely to see more spectacular performances and more KO's.

I'm happy to watch both,but because IMO Strikeforce fights are so much easier to predict because of the usual gap in standard between there fighters,it's usually not a case of who's going to win but more of a case of what rd are they going to finish them in.

As i said this is no knock on strikeforce because there are loads of reasons why they have to do it this way alot of the times,be it because of a smaller roster or they just can't tie certain fighters down to certain dates or that's just the direction they want to go because they are the kind of results that will get them more interest.(how many fans got interested in Pride after watching Cro-cop Ko'ing weaker fighters,).

Both are fun to watch for me,but for me,because the UFC has already built up there fan base,they are now trying to make the sport more legit by trying to keep there match up's evenly ranked,while Strikeforce are still trying to attract an audience,so they are trying to attract the average fan by going more down the Pride route with more mismatches which will end up with more spectacular results,one sided beatdowns and spectacular KO's.
    I think it's a really smart route for them to take personally,but obviously they and their fighters will also get some stick about there legitimacy if they end up with to many easy(for where they are ranked at the time) match ups on there records.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 pm

its good to match guys up who are a similar standard of fighter, but when you make matchups which are guarenteed to be boring, like Story vs Hendricks, its simply bad matchmaking.

i didnt think Strikeforce was particularly mismatched anyway, despite there being a clear favourite in every fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 pm