THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
kavik2
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
the_king
payneNglory1
10 posters

Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain????

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain????

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 pm

There isnt too much of a difference between getting your knees buckled with a shot and being dropped its esentially the same blacking out jelly legged stunned feeling.

People with superb chins dont get this as much, I think Hendo could count the amount of times it happened to him on one finger. And I havnt seen Lesnar hurt yet. But then again I havnt seen anyone land that much on him.

Anfield whats your views on the standup. Randy said the reach was something that threw him off. Granted Cain is better than him or Herring on the feet. And his coaches describe Standing still infont of Lesnar is like a bull, the horns are going to get you at the front. Cain plants himself before he throws shots and granted it gives him great accuracy and power but I dont think he can afford to rish Lesnar hitting him.

Brocks 50lbs bigger than Kongo and has heavy hands and a good right cross, Lesnar rocking Cain in one shot isnt unthinkable I wonder if Cain will stick and move effectivley or wether he will try to close the distance and unload combos?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain????

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:05 am

He got rocked, but he never hit the ground. His knees buckled and he immediately went for the takedown.

I thought you were talking about Josh Thomson for a second Razz
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:41 am

payneNglory1 wrote:He got rocked, but he never hit the ground. His knees buckled and he immediately went for the takedown.

I thought you were talking about Josh Thomson for a second Razz

Thomson hit the ground.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:45 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:There isnt too much of a difference between getting your knees buckled with a shot and being dropped its esentially the same blacking out jelly legged stunned feeling.

People with superb chins dont get this as much, I think Hendo could count the amount of times it happened to him on one finger. And I havnt seen Lesnar hurt yet. But then again I havnt seen anyone land that much on him.

Anfield whats your views on the standup. Randy said the reach was something that threw him off. Granted Cain is better than him or Herring on the feet. And his coaches describe Standing still infont of Lesnar is like a bull, the horns are going to get you at the front. Cain plants himself before he throws shots and granted it gives him great accuracy and power but I dont think he can afford to rish Lesnar hitting him.

Brocks 50lbs bigger than Kongo and has heavy hands and a good right cross, Lesnar rocking Cain in one shot isnt unthinkable I wonder if Cain will stick and move effectivley or wether he will try to close the distance and unload combos?

Cain has much better boxing than anyone Brock has faced, he hits harder than anyone other than Carwin. He's quicker and in much better shape than anyone Brock has faced and his cardio is insane. this is a guy that Koscheck struggles to keep up with. Cain could outstrike Brock for all 5 rounds with ease. Lesnar throws that big right hand that's hugely telegraphed and can be seen from a mile away. Brock isn't 50lbs heavier than the Kongo that fought Cain though. He's at most 20lbs bigger and not as good a striker.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 am

Brock becomes the Greatest UFC HW Champ ever if he beats Cain???? - Page 2 2a6j91u
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:41 am

Yep agree his boxing and Cardio are like nothing Lesnar has ever faced. But look at Kongo fight again,

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Cain_Velasquez_vs_Cheick_Kongo_UFC_99_The_Comebac?vid=10005305

Cain doenst have punch power though, Rothwell and Kongo were pretty much un-effected by any of his shots, he looks a beast on the bags and pads but I dont see him being a heavy hitter, I think Mir hits harder look at what they did to Kongo in comparison.

His GnP was pretty weak looking in the 2nd too.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:28 am

My mistake, he got dropped once. By a much better striker than Lesnar. He recovered instantly, got back up and put Kongo on his ass.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:52 pm

kongos only chance was to ko him cain got cought at the beginning of each round but knew if he could get him down there was little hope for congo.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:56 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Yep agree his boxing and Cardio are like nothing Lesnar has ever faced. But look at Kongo fight again,

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Cain_Velasquez_vs_Cheick_Kongo_UFC_99_The_Comebac?vid=10005305

Cain doenst have punch power though, Rothwell and Kongo were pretty much un-effected by any of his shots, he looks a beast on the bags and pads but I dont see him being a heavy hitter, I think Mir hits harder look at what they did to Kongo in comparison.

His GnP was pretty weak looking in the 2nd too.

The power is there, it's getting it across. He needs to sit on his punches more and throw from the hip. He's getting there though. Look at the punches he threw against Kongo/Rothwell and then the ones he threw against Nog. Different technique, different result.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:36 pm

As UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar prepared to face Shane Carwin at UFC 116 in July, questions surrounded the former University of Minnesota standout.

A lengthy illness had kept Lesnar out of the Octagon for almost a year, and how he would fare in his return to the biggest stage in mixed martial arts was largely unknown. After weathering a flurry of blows from Carwin in the opening round, Lesnar submitted the previously unbeaten Coloradan with a second-round arm-triangle choke.

Lesnar’s performance against Carwin raised another question. If he can perform at such a high level after a lengthy stint on the sidelines, how might he fare backed by a regular training camp? The answer may come in Lesnar’s next title defense, as he faces another unbeaten foe, Cain Velasquez, in the UFC 121 main event on Saturday at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

“Everything is in line,” Lesnar said during a conference call to promote the event. “Right now, I’m as lean as I’ve ever been. A lot of guys always say they’ve had a good camp before a fight, but in this sport, you have to keep evolving and I’ve gotten better and better. I’m still not there yet, but on Oct. 23, I’m going to be the best I can be.”

The 33-year-old Lesnar claimed to be at the 265-pound heavyweight limit, with no need to cut 15 to 20 pounds like he has for previous bouts. He cited several reasons for his improved physical condition.

“A lot of it can be attributed to focusing in on my dieting and eating clean,” said Lesnar. “I’ve also been in the gym for a longer time and have had a quick turnaround for this fight. I was only out of the gym for a couple of weeks before I started getting ready to fight Cain. I've seen a lot of success with peaking at the right time in the last couple of camps I’ve had.”

Though he has been the distance just once in his career, Lesnar deemed himself prepared to go 25 minutes if necessary to beat Velasquez and hold onto his title.

“You have to come into any title fight ready to go five rounds,” said Lesnar. “I’m training to go 25 minutes, not seven like I did against Shane Carwin, and you have to be. The two things I can control when it comes to Oct. 23 are my conditioning and how well I show up for this fight.”

Lesnar has just six professional MMA fights on his resume and has been fighting for a little more than three years. He has packed a lot into a short amount of time. A four-time collegiate All-American wrestler and a Div. I national champion at Minnesota in 2000, the 6-foot-3, 265-pound former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar has become one of the sport’s biggest box office draws. Lesnar already holds wins against UFC hall of famer Randy Couture, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir and Pride Fighting Championships veteran Heath Herring.

“I just feel blessed and honored to be the UFC champion,” said Lesnar. “I’ve had several chances to re-invent myself, and this is one of them. However, there’s no added pressure for me because I’m the champ. I’m just doing what I like to do. The UFC gives people, including me, a chance to get off the street and have a direction in life. To be able to pay the bills and get in the Octagon and do what I like to do … God bless America.”

Lesnar knows his hands will be full when he faces Velasquez, an undefeated former junior college national champion wrestler who was a two-time All-American at Arizona State University. Velasquez has finished seven of his first eight opponents, with five not even making it out of the first round.

“The way heavyweights are now, you have to train to be the best in all phases of the game,” said Lesnar. “You have to be well-rounded to succeed, and both of us understand that. Cain’s a well-rounded guy who does a lot of things well, but I’m coming to win. He’s facing someone unlike he’s ever faced before.

“I can’t make any predictions about where the fight will take place, but that’s the beauty of the sport,” Lesnar added. “It’s not just one discipline. I will say this, though. I’m going to take it wherever I need to take it to win.”
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Lesnar already holds wins against UFC hall of famer Randy Couture, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir and Pride Fighting Championships veteran Heath Herring.

Or Lesnar holds a win over nearly 50 year old Light Heavyweight Randy Couture, is 1 vs 1 with Frank Mir and has a win over Pride FC veteran and at the time CAN - Heath Herring, you could also add the win over one trick hyped beyond belief power lifter - Shane Carwin.

Totally sick of the BS hype surrounding Brock, really hoping he gets shown up for what I think he really is this weekend
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:08 pm

And Cain has wins over who exactly? Suspect

Brock has the current most impressive win streak of any heavyweight as of right now.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:And Cain has wins over who exactly? Suspect

Brock has the current most impressive win streak of any heavyweight as of right now.

werdum.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:

werdum.

Nog you mean?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:22 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:

werdum.

Nog you mean?

Nog had a great win streak at one point, but i thought he meant active win streaks!! Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Sorry mate I thought you were answering "And Cain has wins over who exactly" Laughing Laughing

Werdums isnt bad but its a 3 fight winning spree Lesnar is on a 4 fight spree, I guess it depends how much the Fedor fight means. Its a close cut thing, understandable why people think that Werdum should be top.

Its going to be harder to seperate the top heavies if Cain wins...

IMO Lesnar with a loss would mean 2 losses in a very short career, id be tempted to drop him below JDS as well...

1.Werdum
    2.Cain/Fedor (Depending on Cains performance)
    3.Cain/Fedor
    4.JDS
    5.Lesnar

or with a win would Cain take top spot?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Yes, Cain would go top. I don't think the Fedor win is THAT much bigger than a Brock win at this point in time.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm

A win over Fedor is better than a win over Lesnar at any time.

Werdum is the number 1 HW in the world right now, Fedor is 2. Cain will go third if he beats Lesnar.

Lesnar's win streak is against a guy who hasn't been relevant in years, a 46 year old LHW who hadn't fought in a year, Frank Mir who also has a win over Lesnar and Carwin in a fight he got his ass kicked in.

Werdum's win over Kyle is as impressive as beating Herring, Big Foot is a more impressive win than Couture at HW and Fedor is far more impressive than either of Mir or Carwin.

And if you want to go last 6 fights vs last 6 fights, Werdum's 5-1 is much more impressive than Lesnar's 5-1.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Fair enough i will give you Werdum, as he has a win against a number 1. Although Kyle and Bigfoot werent ranked in even in top 15. Were as Brock has wins over top 3, 5 and 10 guys....

But if you want to say that having a number 1 guy on your list makes it more impressive, then i can see were your coming from.

One thing is for sure that Brock has beaten higher calibre of fighter than Cain anyway!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 pm

the hype behind lesnar at the minute is amazing though, i wanna see JDS vs cain a somepoint.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:47 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Fair enough i will give you Werdum, as he has a win against a number 1. Although Kyle and Bigfoot werent ranked in even in top 15. Were as Brock has wins over top 3, 5 and 10 guys....

But if you want to say that having a number 1 guy on your list makes it more impressive, then i can see were your coming from.

One thing is for sure that Brock has beaten higher calibre of fighter than Cain anyway!

Healthy Nog>anyone Lesnar has beaten.

Who has Lesnar beaten that was top 3?

Bigfoot was top 15 and has been top 10.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 pm

the_king wrote:the hype behind lesnar at the minute is amazing though, i wanna see JDS vs cain a somepoint.

After Cain beats Brock you'll get to see it. Cool
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm

im hoping lesnar wins this fight, but id also love to see jds v cain maybe sometime in the future.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Carwin was top 3 a week before UFC 116. Until Werdum tapped Fedor. Mir beat Nog who was no.2 at the time, so he would have been around no.3 ranking aswell at UFC 100.

Who has Big foot beaten before Werdum to justify top 15, let alone top 10?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:55 am