The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Anderson Silva;The Greatest Champ Of All Time

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Anderson Silva;The Greatest Champ Of All Time

Post  payneNglory1 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Last Friday marked the 5th year anniversary of Andersons domination of the UFC's MW division,where in that time he has won and defended the Title an amazing,record setting 9 times,and often in spectacular,devastating fashion.

It all started at UFC 64 on October 14, 2006,where in his 2nd UFC fight,he annihilated Rich Franklin to claim the UFC middleweight title,four months after destroying Chris leban in his UFC debut.
    This was just the start of what has become the most impressive reign in UFC history and what has today made him the top P4P fighter in the sport.

Since that day we have gotten so used to Silva putting on incredible performances,being the MW champ and P4P king,that I think sometimes think his accomplishments in the sport don't garner the attention they deserve.

Anderson Silva in 5 years,13 fights and 10 title fights hasn't lost,while pretty much every other fighter in the top end of the sport has.

Then you compare his 5 year title reign next to the champions of other divisions.

Seven different fighters have worn the light heavyweight title during Silva's time as the middleweight champ.
    Four more have been crowned heavyweight champ,not including the interim title reigns of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Frank Mir, and Shane Carwin.

From the four other divisions that were a part of the UFC when Silva ascended to the top of the 185 pound ranks, 18 different fighters have been world champions. That number would probably be higher had the lightweight belt not lay dormant for 16 numbered events between Sean Sherk being stripped of the title and BJ Penn claiming it at UFC 80.

If you factor in the two newest divisional additions to the organization — featherweight and bantamweight — the number of fighters wearing championship gold during Silva's time at the top climbs to 26, and it's not like we're talking about a collection of mediocre champions either.

Silva's reign atop the middleweight ranks is longer than Matt Hughes' time as welterweight champion combined,and a 553 days more than GSP's current run as the WW champ,the second-longest such reign in history.

If Silva walked away today,GSP would need to remain champion for the next year-and-a-half just to equal Silva's mark.

We've seen the man deemed the greatest lightweight in the history of the sport (BJ Penn) win and loss the lightweight title, his time at the top coming more than 1,000 days shy of Silva's tenure in the 185 pound division.

Randy Couture came out of retirement, won the heavyweight title, and retired again,this time for good,all while Silva dominated at middleweight.

Jon Jones was still 18 months away from beginning his MMA career when Silva first beat Franklin,and Cain Velasquez had made his professional debut just a week earlier.

Anderson Silva has been re-writing the history books right before our eyes for the last five years,and i for one have truly appreciated,watching him do so and if the reports are true that he only has four fights left,I can't wait for them either.

Happy Anniversary Champ.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Re: Anderson Silva;The Greatest Champ Of All Time

Post  2brutal on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:01 pm

i dont buy he will retire in 4 fights he is making so much money and winning rekon he will still be going for a few more years unless he starts to chuck liddel

GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 pm

2brutal wrote:i dont buy he will retire in 4 fights he is making so much money and winning rekon he will still be going for a few more years unless he starts to chuck liddel

Hope your right as he's a genius to watch! Good point regarding Chuck altho Silva isn't as easy to hit as chuck was. The UFC could make a huge amount in having a Champ vs Champ fight in Brazil against either GSP or Jones
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm

If Anderson beats Sonnen, and possibly has a fight with GSP and wins I will consider him the P4P greatest of all time... simples
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 pm

IF He beats Sonnen. Ill be shocked if he does Wink

GSP wont fight Anderson, he said he is trying to make his mark as the Greatest Ww of all time. I dont blame him he is a 170lbs fighter. The more I see guys like Rumble and Story etc.. even Marquardt at Ww makes me think GSP isnt quite Mw sized and I dont think he wants a part of Anderson.

Anderson is the same about Bones. He says he doesnt want to fight him and IMO Its because Bones is more or less Hw sized.

IF Anderson gets passed Sonnen I think he stays at 185 and goes undefeated, I think he would be happy to take on the next highest ranked challenger which by then could be somone like Munoz or maby Rockhold. Who knows maby Hendo or Belfort get a rematch down the line but he is supposed to have 4 more figths left and I cant see them beign Champ vs Champ fights.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Sonnen and Henderson at 195 or 205 are the two fights I think make the most sense for Anderson. And I think he loses both of them. I don't think we'll see 4 more Anderson fights. I think there'll be 3 more. Sonnen, possibly Vitor again and then Hendo.

He'd destroy GSP and Jones IMO. GSP's chin is not going to stand-up to Anderson and Jones simply has no business being in a cage with Anderson.

He doesn't want to fight at 205 because he knows they'll try to match him up with Machida and neither of them want that fight.

GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:IF He beats Sonnen. Ill be shocked if he does Wink

GSP wont fight Anderson, he said he is trying to make his mark as the Greatest Ww of all time. I dont blame him he is a 170lbs fighter. The more I see guys like Rumble and Story etc.. even Marquardt at Ww makes me think GSP isnt quite Mw sized and I dont think he wants a part of Anderson.

Anderson is the same about Bones. He says he doesnt want to fight him and IMO Its because Bones is more or less Hw sized.

IF Anderson gets passed Sonnen I think he stays at 185 and goes undefeated, I think he would be happy to take on the next highest ranked challenger which by then could be somone like Munoz or maby Rockhold. Who knows maby Hendo or Belfort get a rematch down the line but he is supposed to have 4 more figths left and I cant see them beign Champ vs Champ fights.

I think sonnen beats him in the rematch, Sonnen doesn't let Silva take 2-3 mins at the start of the fight to get into his rhythm and i think that really threw him off last time.

I hope GSP stays at WW but there really wouldn't be a problem in him fighting silva at say 180 and then going back to WW win or lose, the latter being the most likely.

If he is only having 4 more fights and beats sonnen surely the UFC would want to match him with someone capable of beating him, Belfort hasn't got the tools to beat him, Hendo vs Silva at 185 doesn't interest me at all and neither does anyone else in the MW division. Sure it would be a risk for the ufc if say in his last fight he was put in with Bones an ko'd him then retired but if they're going to make a real go at this new TV deal fights like champ vs champ make sense, just my opinion
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:21 pm

I would imagine that Dana's worst nightmare would be Silva beating Silva, then going to 205 and beating Jones and then walking away. That would leave two divisions in the UFC without a credible champion.

GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I would imagine that Dana's worst nightmare would be Silva beating Silva, then going to 205 and beating Jones and then walking away. That would leave two divisions in the UFC without a credible champion.

I can see the point your making and that would definately apply if he beat bones but if he beat gsp then I still think gsp would be a credible champ. Bj Penn was still seen as a credible champ when he lost against gsp.

I think if bones beats machida then it will be a while before he's considered for a title shot again so could you see silva having his last few fights at lhw regardless of the outcome of the sonnen fight? I think everyone would like a catchweight fight with hendo
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Hluk Belt>12 lbs of tin. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm