The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news


    Football discussion

    Share
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  efils_god on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    efils_god wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:It's not cheating. Breaking the rules knowing you are going to get caught is not cheating. His team gained no advantage. They were in a worse situation after his handball than before it.

    I would defend ANY player who did what Suarez did. Any player who wouldn't do it has no business being a professional.

    I agree with you that any player should and probably would do the same in Suarez's position. But obviously the reason he did it was to gain an advantage, otherwise what's the point? Without an 'advantage' to gain he'd never have done it! Picking the ball up in the centre circle would be a hand ball without an advantage.

    The advantage he gained was it was pretty much the last minute of the game, if he didn't do it, his team were out, if he did, there is a slim chance they will go through.

    While i would do the same if i was in his position, he clearly gained an advantage for his team.

    (and obviously it is cheating, but anyone who says he should have let it go in is silly. If you think it should have been a goal anyway, then blame the rules, not Suarez. If it was in the rules that stopping the ball with your hand on the line resulted in a goal anyway he'd never have done it.)

    Gained no advantage. They were in a worse situation than they were before he handled the ball. Something not happening is not gaining an advantage.

    Please explain how they were in a worse situation??

    If he doesn't do it, they are out (last minute of extra time...)

    If he does, there is a chance they get to penalties and go through (as it proved).

    what part of that is not gaining an advantage??

    I can't understand your argument, why do you think he did it if it would have put his team at a disadvbantage? did you not see him celebrating after the pen??
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Wow. 4 goals from a couple of years ago? Well done. He's a hit and hope merchant. The dip on the ball comes from the positioning of the ball and kicking through the valve. It was perfected by this man:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuKIWfg_j1U. Those are free kicks taken properly. Ronaldo has taken his technique but fails miserably at it 9 times out of 10.

    The rest of your post is comical nonsense.

    Messi has scored less than Ronaldo in the past because he's a creator rather than a selfish player like Ronaldo. This season he is easily ahead of Ronaldo in both categories because he's better at both. You claimed Ronaldo was more complete and tried to use golden boot to prove it. Comical argument. And pointless because Messi has one won it and is on track to win it again this year. Henrik Larsson is not the only player in scotland to win the golden boot. Ally McCoist won it. twice. And Brian Laudrup is the best player to ever play in Scotland.

    Ronaldo plays as a winger for Real and has countless opportunities to shoot from distance, but his shooting is not great. Hence he has not 200 shots that have not resulted in goals.

    Coentrao is more complete than Vidic? What are you talking about. 1 is a centre back, 1 is a fullback converted from a winger. They play completely different positions! Ronaldo and Messi plays similar positions.

    When Ronaldo was Messi's age, he was just leaving United. Messi is so much better than the United-era Ronaldo it's untrue. He's also far better than the current version despite Ronaldo being in his peak years and Messi still being a few years away from them.

    Career stats set Messi far apart from Ronaldo, despite being so much younger.


    The goal against Bosnia was quite recent. Anyway it doesn't matter when he took them, the fact is he did it and I can show you more recent examples. Juhninio is the greatest free kick taker ever, he's better than Ronaldo and Messi combined. No one in the current game even comes close to him so ofc players will try copy his style. Drogba has tried to copy the technique multiple times. The fact that Ronaldo attempts to copy the technique shows he isn't a hit and hope merchant because it's one of the hardest way to hit a free kick. In fact, if he was a hit and hope merchant he would probably be more successful because he has incredible power.

    Ronaldo is a creator as well hence all the assists he has for both Utd and Madrid. He was more of a creator at Real Madrid when he had Rooney alongside him. Anyway Messi is the better creator, for me that's clear and that's not what I'm arguing. This season Ronaldo has more goals in the league and he still has time to win it. I didn't use the golden boot to prove Ronaldo was the more complete player, I used it to prove he was the better goal scorer which he is. To score more goals than you have appearances in La Liga is just unbelievable, especially when he isn't even a striker. He's won it twice in two different leagues and each time he won it he was playing in the best league in the world.

    Sorry you are right about McCoist, but he is one of the best players to ever play in Scotland as well. The Scottish league was also stronger in his day. Laudrup is probably the best player to play in Scotland but he was already long established before he came and he only spent 3 seasons. Larsson IMO was more influential in Scotland. Gascoigne is a better player than Larsson as well but no one other player can replicate the dynasty Larsson created at Celtic. In Scotland, Larsson was better than Laudrup and everyone else.

    He plays as a striker as well and has played their countless times. He's played their at times ahead of the established strikers. The way Madrid play restricts his ability to shoot from distance. Either way Ronaldo is clearly better at shooting from distance than Messi.

    It's just an example, but a pretty dumb one I must admit. Ok, O Shea and Ferdinand are both more complete footballers than Vidic but neither are even close to his level. Having more attributes your games doesn't necessarily make you a better player, it makes you more versatile and that's not always the best thing.

    Ronaldo is 2-3 years older than Messi, the age difference isn't huge. The United version of Ronaldo was a magnificent player as well, not as good as Messi but still far better than any other player in the world. He didn't score as many goals but his all round game was sensational.

    Messi is the best player in the world, Ronaldo second and when fit Inieta is third but by some distance.




    Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. Superior all round player, also performs on the big stage whilst Ronaldo chokes constantly under pressure.


    That is a big age difference in football. An average career is 12 years at the highest level, Ronaldo is 1/4 of the way further through his career and Messi is vastly superior and has accomplished far more than Ronaldo. Messi could retire now and it's unlikely Ronaldo would match his achievements.


    I stopped reading at "O'Shea".

    Never plays as a striker for Real. Has been left wing since the day he arrived. Higuain and Benzema are always upfront and Real never play with 2 strikers. Di Maria-Ozil-Ronaldo or Ozil-Kaka-Ronaldo has been the constant attacking midfield trio.

    When Laudrup was at Rangers he was on another level to everyone in the league, just like Larsson. Their performances in Scotland were about on a par, but overall Laudrup was the better player. That being said, Henrik Larsson is the best striker to ever play there and arguably the biggest bargain in football history. 700k for that level of talent? You'd never see that today. Shame he didn't move to England in his prime.

    Ronaldo only passes when he has no chance to shoot. Only twice in his career has he managed 10 or more league assists in a season. He's got far better team-mates now than he did at United yet his assist numbers are very poor. Messi is on course for his fifth season of 10 or more in a row. Ronaldo has played 2 seasons more than Messi as well which shows just how big the gulf is. Ronaldo is 2 goals ahead of Messi in the league this season having played a game more. Given that two of his team-mates are the top creators in the league, that's not surprising. As for the comical claim that Ronaldo is the better goalscorer, look at their career stats.

    Messi is far more prolific. His career goals per game record is better than Ronaldo's. 450 club games and 249 goals for Ronaldo. 312 club games for Messi, 230 goals. It really isn't close. And then there's the shots to goals facts. Last season, just as example, Ronaldo scored 53 club goals. He needed 323 shots to do so. Messi also scored 53 club goals last season. He needed only 229 shots to do so. Same number of goals, 94 shots less. This season he has 50 from 191. Ronaldo has 44 goals from 242.

    He's a hit and hope merchant and striking a ball that way, when you practice it, isn't all that much harder than taking free kicks normally according to Juninho himself. Ronaldo doesn't use the actual kicking technique of Juninho. He seems to be under the illusion that it's all about kicking the ball as hard as he can. Juninho didn't kick at anything close to full power unless he was 35 yards or more out. Ronaldo stole the ball placement and the idea and tries to replicate the technique but he's awful at it because unlike Juninho he doesn't spend hours per day practicing and he tries to kick too hard. Messi also spends hours per day practicing his technique, Ronaldo doesn't bother. Like I said 50 free kicks this season, no goals. His attempts to goal record from free kicks throughout the last 5 years is nothing short of appalling.

    Iniesta is a sensational player and actually out of the three is my favourite but I think Ronaldo has him beat. Iniesta's form over the last season or two has dipped because of injuries. This talk of Ronaldo being a choker is severely overblown. He's under performed in big matches in the past yes, so has Messi and Iniesta. But he's scored in the CL final, Copa Del Ray final and countless times in big games in England. Remember when he destroyed Arsenal in the CL? He hasn't played well against Barcelona because Real Madrid just can't cope with them. In the last couple of games, the entire RM team has under performed against Barca.

    Just have a look at Messi in the World cup, was completely non-existent. Mostly it was due to not having Xavi and Iniesta.

    Messi have accomplished more playing for the best side in this generation. Xavi and Iniesta have accomplished more than both Messi and Ronaldo, but I wouldn't necessarily call them better players. Ronaldo has also proved himself in two leagues, both the best in the world. He's about to win his first league title in Spain, has already finished as top scorer ect. If Messi retired now, Ronaldo could easily surpass his achievements. Barca would lose their best player and Ronaldo would be the best player in the world meaning he would have little competition for the Golden ball, ballon dr ect.

    Clearly you haven't seen Real Madrid play very often then because he plays there on a regular basis.

    I agree their performances were about on par but I think Larsson's longevity gives him the edge. Also Laudrap was already an established player when he arrived in Scotland while Larsson was relatively unknown. Larsson was an incredible player, if he moved to England in his prime I think he would have been up there with the likes of Shearar and Henry. For me he was far better than the likes of Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke ect.

    He passes plenty but has just gained a reputation as a selfish player which he is at times. The 2007-8 Utd team he played in was the best team he played in and he had plenty of assists. His partnership with Rooney was devastating but for Madrid he is their main goal scorer. That's why he plays more central nowadays. Messi has two team mates near the top of the assist's leagues. Aside from Messi and ROnaldo, both RM and Barca have 3 players in the top 10 for assists. Barca has the MF in the world by far with Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas not to mention Alves on the right. Messi plays in a better team but Ronaldo scores more. Ronaldo has two more goals and one less assist having played a game more. Shows how close they are.

    Those stats prove Messi is more efficient, Ronaldo deserves his own credit for creating so many chances in the first place. Messi's career total is better than Ronaldo but you aren't considering Ronaldo played in a very defensive league in England. Messi has played in the same league his entire career and it's the most attacking league in the world by far. A better way to compare them is in La Liga where Ronaldo has 98 goals in 89 appearances in the league and 126 in 127 overall. Messi has 147 in 201 in the league and 228 in 311 overall. After 2 seasons and a half Ronaldo has 98 league goals compared to Messi who had 21 in his first 3 seasons. In the two previous seasons combined Messi scored 65 in 68 while Ronaldo scored 66 in 63. More goals in less games, Ronaldo is the better goal scorer.

    Ronaldo is one of the hardest trainers in world football, everyone at Madrid says he trains non stop hence his unbelievable fitness. When he played for United he didn't always hit as hard as he could, you could see the technique in his shots. Again it was the 2007-08 where he was just incredible, the dip he had on the ball was incredible. During Euro 2008 every time Portugal got a threatening free kick, all his team mates wanted him to take it. I'm sure the dipping free kick isn't hard for Juhninio but it is for just about every other human being on the planet. Can't remember exactly but Junihio has something like 44 goals from free kicks. Don't think any other player has anything close to that, after a while I'm sure it becomes easy. Ronaldo has about 20+ goals in his career from free kicks, far more than Messi.

    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Wow. 4 goals from a couple of years ago? Well done. He's a hit and hope merchant. The dip on the ball comes from the positioning of the ball and kicking through the valve. It was perfected by this man:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuKIWfg_j1U. Those are free kicks taken properly. Ronaldo has taken his technique but fails miserably at it 9 times out of 10.

    The rest of your post is comical nonsense.

    Messi has scored less than Ronaldo in the past because he's a creator rather than a selfish player like Ronaldo. This season he is easily ahead of Ronaldo in both categories because he's better at both. You claimed Ronaldo was more complete and tried to use golden boot to prove it. Comical argument. And pointless because Messi has one won it and is on track to win it again this year. Henrik Larsson is not the only player in scotland to win the golden boot. Ally McCoist won it. twice. And Brian Laudrup is the best player to ever play in Scotland.

    Ronaldo plays as a winger for Real and has countless opportunities to shoot from distance, but his shooting is not great. Hence he has not 200 shots that have not resulted in goals.

    Coentrao is more complete than Vidic? What are you talking about. 1 is a centre back, 1 is a fullback converted from a winger. They play completely different positions! Ronaldo and Messi plays similar positions.

    When Ronaldo was Messi's age, he was just leaving United. Messi is so much better than the United-era Ronaldo it's untrue. He's also far better than the current version despite Ronaldo being in his peak years and Messi still being a few years away from them.

    Career stats set Messi far apart from Ronaldo, despite being so much younger.


    The goal against Bosnia was quite recent. Anyway it doesn't matter when he took them, the fact is he did it and I can show you more recent examples. Juhninio is the greatest free kick taker ever, he's better than Ronaldo and Messi combined. No one in the current game even comes close to him so ofc players will try copy his style. Drogba has tried to copy the technique multiple times. The fact that Ronaldo attempts to copy the technique shows he isn't a hit and hope merchant because it's one of the hardest way to hit a free kick. In fact, if he was a hit and hope merchant he would probably be more successful because he has incredible power.

    Ronaldo is a creator as well hence all the assists he has for both Utd and Madrid. He was more of a creator at Real Madrid when he had Rooney alongside him. Anyway Messi is the better creator, for me that's clear and that's not what I'm arguing. This season Ronaldo has more goals in the league and he still has time to win it. I didn't use the golden boot to prove Ronaldo was the more complete player, I used it to prove he was the better goal scorer which he is. To score more goals than you have appearances in La Liga is just unbelievable, especially when he isn't even a striker. He's won it twice in two different leagues and each time he won it he was playing in the best league in the world.

    Sorry you are right about McCoist, but he is one of the best players to ever play in Scotland as well. The Scottish league was also stronger in his day. Laudrup is probably the best player to play in Scotland but he was already long established before he came and he only spent 3 seasons. Larsson IMO was more influential in Scotland. Gascoigne is a better player than Larsson as well but no one other player can replicate the dynasty Larsson created at Celtic. In Scotland, Larsson was better than Laudrup and everyone else.

    He plays as a striker as well and has played their countless times. He's played their at times ahead of the established strikers. The way Madrid play restricts his ability to shoot from distance. Either way Ronaldo is clearly better at shooting from distance than Messi.

    It's just an example, but a pretty dumb one I must admit. Ok, O Shea and Ferdinand are both more complete footballers than Vidic but neither are even close to his level. Having more attributes your games doesn't necessarily make you a better player, it makes you more versatile and that's not always the best thing.

    Ronaldo is 2-3 years older than Messi, the age difference isn't huge. The United version of Ronaldo was a magnificent player as well, not as good as Messi but still far better than any other player in the world. He didn't score as many goals but his all round game was sensational.

    Messi is the best player in the world, Ronaldo second and when fit Inieta is third but by some distance.




    Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. Superior all round player, also performs on the big stage whilst Ronaldo chokes constantly under pressure.


    That is a big age difference in football. An average career is 12 years at the highest level, Ronaldo is 1/4 of the way further through his career and Messi is vastly superior and has accomplished far more than Ronaldo. Messi could retire now and it's unlikely Ronaldo would match his achievements.


    I stopped reading at "O'Shea".

    Never plays as a striker for Real. Has been left wing since the day he arrived. Higuain and Benzema are always upfront and Real never play with 2 strikers. Di Maria-Ozil-Ronaldo or Ozil-Kaka-Ronaldo has been the constant attacking midfield trio.

    When Laudrup was at Rangers he was on another level to everyone in the league, just like Larsson. Their performances in Scotland were about on a par, but overall Laudrup was the better player. That being said, Henrik Larsson is the best striker to ever play there and arguably the biggest bargain in football history. 700k for that level of talent? You'd never see that today. Shame he didn't move to England in his prime.

    Ronaldo only passes when he has no chance to shoot. Only twice in his career has he managed 10 or more league assists in a season. He's got far better team-mates now than he did at United yet his assist numbers are very poor. Messi is on course for his fifth season of 10 or more in a row. Ronaldo has played 2 seasons more than Messi as well which shows just how big the gulf is. Ronaldo is 2 goals ahead of Messi in the league this season having played a game more. Given that two of his team-mates are the top creators in the league, that's not surprising. As for the comical claim that Ronaldo is the better goalscorer, look at their career stats.

    Messi is far more prolific. His career goals per game record is better than Ronaldo's. 450 club games and 249 goals for Ronaldo. 312 club games for Messi, 230 goals. It really isn't close. And then there's the shots to goals facts. Last season, just as example, Ronaldo scored 53 club goals. He needed 323 shots to do so. Messi also scored 53 club goals last season. He needed only 229 shots to do so. Same number of goals, 94 shots less. This season he has 50 from 191. Ronaldo has 44 goals from 242.

    He's a hit and hope merchant and striking a ball that way, when you practice it, isn't all that much harder than taking free kicks normally according to Juninho himself. Ronaldo doesn't use the actual kicking technique of Juninho. He seems to be under the illusion that it's all about kicking the ball as hard as he can. Juninho didn't kick at anything close to full power unless he was 35 yards or more out. Ronaldo stole the ball placement and the idea and tries to replicate the technique but he's awful at it because unlike Juninho he doesn't spend hours per day practicing and he tries to kick too hard. Messi also spends hours per day practicing his technique, Ronaldo doesn't bother. Like I said 50 free kicks this season, no goals. His attempts to goal record from free kicks throughout the last 5 years is nothing short of appalling.

    Iniesta is a sensational player and actually out of the three is my favourite but I think Ronaldo has him beat. Iniesta's form over the last season or two has dipped because of injuries. This talk of Ronaldo being a choker is severely overblown. He's under performed in big matches in the past yes, so has Messi and Iniesta. But he's scored in the CL final, Copa Del Ray final and countless times in big games in England. Remember when he destroyed Arsenal in the CL? He hasn't played well against Barcelona because Real Madrid just can't cope with them. In the last couple of games, the entire RM team has under performed against Barca.

    Just have a look at Messi in the World cup, was completely non-existent. Mostly it was due to not having Xavi and Iniesta.

    Messi have accomplished more playing for the best side in this generation. Xavi and Iniesta have accomplished more than both Messi and Ronaldo, but I wouldn't necessarily call them better players. Ronaldo has also proved himself in two leagues, both the best in the world. He's about to win his first league title in Spain, has already finished as top scorer ect. If Messi retired now, Ronaldo could easily surpass his achievements. Barca would lose their best player and Ronaldo would be the best player in the world meaning he would have little competition for the Golden ball, ballon dr ect.

    Clearly you haven't seen Real Madrid play very often then because he plays there on a regular basis.

    I agree their performances were about on par but I think Larsson's longevity gives him the edge. Also Laudrap was already an established player when he arrived in Scotland while Larsson was relatively unknown. Larsson was an incredible player, if he moved to England in his prime I think he would have been up there with the likes of Shearar and Henry. For me he was far better than the likes of Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke ect.

    He passes plenty but has just gained a reputation as a selfish player which he is at times. The 2007-8 Utd team he played in was the best team he played in and he had plenty of assists. His partnership with Rooney was devastating but for Madrid he is their main goal scorer. That's why he plays more central nowadays. Messi has two team mates near the top of the assist's leagues. Aside from Messi and ROnaldo, both RM and Barca have 3 players in the top 10 for assists. Barca has the MF in the world by far with Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas not to mention Alves on the right. Messi plays in a better team but Ronaldo scores more. Ronaldo has two more goals and one less assist having played a game more. Shows how close they are.

    Those stats prove Messi is more efficient, Ronaldo deserves his own credit for creating so many chances in the first place. Messi's career total is better than Ronaldo but you aren't considering Ronaldo played in a very defensive league in England. Messi has played in the same league his entire career and it's the most attacking league in the world by far. A better way to compare them is in La Liga where Ronaldo has 98 goals in 89 appearances in the league and 126 in 127 overall. Messi has 147 in 201 in the league and 228 in 311 overall. After 2 seasons and a half Ronaldo has 98 league goals compared to Messi who had 21 in his first 3 seasons. In the two previous seasons combined Messi scored 65 in 68 while Ronaldo scored 66 in 63. More goals in less games, Ronaldo is the better goal scorer.

    Ronaldo is one of the hardest trainers in world football, everyone at Madrid says he trains non stop hence his unbelievable fitness. When he played for United he didn't always hit as hard as he could, you could see the technique in his shots. Again it was the 2007-08 where he was just incredible, the dip he had on the ball was incredible. During Euro 2008 every time Portugal got a threatening free kick, all his team mates wanted him to take it. I'm sure the dipping free kick isn't hard for Juhninio but it is for just about every other human being on the planet. Can't remember exactly but Junihio has something like 44 goals from free kicks. Don't think any other player has anything close to that, after a while I'm sure it becomes easy. Ronaldo has about 20+ goals in his career from free kicks, far more than Messi.


    Ronaldo has never performed in a major final. Two CL finals, two of the worst performances you'll ever see. Messi and Iniesta have performed brilliantly on the biggest stage. Performing against Arsenal in the CL is the same as playing in a league match. His performances against the top teams in Europe have always fallen short and his performances in international competition have been laughable to say the least. Messi is yet to perform at a WC but he's more than made up for it at club level. His performances at the WC were nothing to do with a lack of Xavi and Iniesta, it was inept management and poor team selection. Iniesta performs on the biggest stage. Always.

    If Messi retired, Iniesta would become the best player in the world. Ronaldo has no chance of matching Messi's achievements. 3 Ballon D'ors in a row, he wouldn't come close to.

    Ronaldo never plays upfront. Stop telling lies to make up for your lack of ability to make a point. He plays as a left winger. Real play the same formation EVERY GAME and Benzema or Higuain play upfront EVERY GAME. Ronaldo does not play central, he plays on the left. He rarely passes and is unquestionable the most selfish player in the world.

    He gets that many chances because of people like Ozil creating for him. Messi has a much better goals per game ratio and a much better shots to goals ratio. It's not even close. Messi is by far the better scorer. A hilarious attempt to compare Ronaldo aged 25 to Messi aged 18. Utterly comical. You need to stop now because you're embarrassing yourself with such drivel.

    The last paragraph of your drivel is simply one lie after another.
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Wow. 4 goals from a couple of years ago? Well done. He's a hit and hope merchant. The dip on the ball comes from the positioning of the ball and kicking through the valve. It was perfected by this man:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuKIWfg_j1U. Those are free kicks taken properly. Ronaldo has taken his technique but fails miserably at it 9 times out of 10.

    The rest of your post is comical nonsense.

    Messi has scored less than Ronaldo in the past because he's a creator rather than a selfish player like Ronaldo. This season he is easily ahead of Ronaldo in both categories because he's better at both. You claimed Ronaldo was more complete and tried to use golden boot to prove it. Comical argument. And pointless because Messi has one won it and is on track to win it again this year. Henrik Larsson is not the only player in scotland to win the golden boot. Ally McCoist won it. twice. And Brian Laudrup is the best player to ever play in Scotland.

    Ronaldo plays as a winger for Real and has countless opportunities to shoot from distance, but his shooting is not great. Hence he has not 200 shots that have not resulted in goals.

    Coentrao is more complete than Vidic? What are you talking about. 1 is a centre back, 1 is a fullback converted from a winger. They play completely different positions! Ronaldo and Messi plays similar positions.

    When Ronaldo was Messi's age, he was just leaving United. Messi is so much better than the United-era Ronaldo it's untrue. He's also far better than the current version despite Ronaldo being in his peak years and Messi still being a few years away from them.

    Career stats set Messi far apart from Ronaldo, despite being so much younger.


    The goal against Bosnia was quite recent. Anyway it doesn't matter when he took them, the fact is he did it and I can show you more recent examples. Juhninio is the greatest free kick taker ever, he's better than Ronaldo and Messi combined. No one in the current game even comes close to him so ofc players will try copy his style. Drogba has tried to copy the technique multiple times. The fact that Ronaldo attempts to copy the technique shows he isn't a hit and hope merchant because it's one of the hardest way to hit a free kick. In fact, if he was a hit and hope merchant he would probably be more successful because he has incredible power.

    Ronaldo is a creator as well hence all the assists he has for both Utd and Madrid. He was more of a creator at Real Madrid when he had Rooney alongside him. Anyway Messi is the better creator, for me that's clear and that's not what I'm arguing. This season Ronaldo has more goals in the league and he still has time to win it. I didn't use the golden boot to prove Ronaldo was the more complete player, I used it to prove he was the better goal scorer which he is. To score more goals than you have appearances in La Liga is just unbelievable, especially when he isn't even a striker. He's won it twice in two different leagues and each time he won it he was playing in the best league in the world.

    Sorry you are right about McCoist, but he is one of the best players to ever play in Scotland as well. The Scottish league was also stronger in his day. Laudrup is probably the best player to play in Scotland but he was already long established before he came and he only spent 3 seasons. Larsson IMO was more influential in Scotland. Gascoigne is a better player than Larsson as well but no one other player can replicate the dynasty Larsson created at Celtic. In Scotland, Larsson was better than Laudrup and everyone else.

    He plays as a striker as well and has played their countless times. He's played their at times ahead of the established strikers. The way Madrid play restricts his ability to shoot from distance. Either way Ronaldo is clearly better at shooting from distance than Messi.

    It's just an example, but a pretty dumb one I must admit. Ok, O Shea and Ferdinand are both more complete footballers than Vidic but neither are even close to his level. Having more attributes your games doesn't necessarily make you a better player, it makes you more versatile and that's not always the best thing.

    Ronaldo is 2-3 years older than Messi, the age difference isn't huge. The United version of Ronaldo was a magnificent player as well, not as good as Messi but still far better than any other player in the world. He didn't score as many goals but his all round game was sensational.

    Messi is the best player in the world, Ronaldo second and when fit Inieta is third but by some distance.




    Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. Superior all round player, also performs on the big stage whilst Ronaldo chokes constantly under pressure.


    That is a big age difference in football. An average career is 12 years at the highest level, Ronaldo is 1/4 of the way further through his career and Messi is vastly superior and has accomplished far more than Ronaldo. Messi could retire now and it's unlikely Ronaldo would match his achievements.


    I stopped reading at "O'Shea".

    Never plays as a striker for Real. Has been left wing since the day he arrived. Higuain and Benzema are always upfront and Real never play with 2 strikers. Di Maria-Ozil-Ronaldo or Ozil-Kaka-Ronaldo has been the constant attacking midfield trio.

    When Laudrup was at Rangers he was on another level to everyone in the league, just like Larsson. Their performances in Scotland were about on a par, but overall Laudrup was the better player. That being said, Henrik Larsson is the best striker to ever play there and arguably the biggest bargain in football history. 700k for that level of talent? You'd never see that today. Shame he didn't move to England in his prime.

    Ronaldo only passes when he has no chance to shoot. Only twice in his career has he managed 10 or more league assists in a season. He's got far better team-mates now than he did at United yet his assist numbers are very poor. Messi is on course for his fifth season of 10 or more in a row. Ronaldo has played 2 seasons more than Messi as well which shows just how big the gulf is. Ronaldo is 2 goals ahead of Messi in the league this season having played a game more. Given that two of his team-mates are the top creators in the league, that's not surprising. As for the comical claim that Ronaldo is the better goalscorer, look at their career stats.

    Messi is far more prolific. His career goals per game record is better than Ronaldo's. 450 club games and 249 goals for Ronaldo. 312 club games for Messi, 230 goals. It really isn't close. And then there's the shots to goals facts. Last season, just as example, Ronaldo scored 53 club goals. He needed 323 shots to do so. Messi also scored 53 club goals last season. He needed only 229 shots to do so. Same number of goals, 94 shots less. This season he has 50 from 191. Ronaldo has 44 goals from 242.

    He's a hit and hope merchant and striking a ball that way, when you practice it, isn't all that much harder than taking free kicks normally according to Juninho himself. Ronaldo doesn't use the actual kicking technique of Juninho. He seems to be under the illusion that it's all about kicking the ball as hard as he can. Juninho didn't kick at anything close to full power unless he was 35 yards or more out. Ronaldo stole the ball placement and the idea and tries to replicate the technique but he's awful at it because unlike Juninho he doesn't spend hours per day practicing and he tries to kick too hard. Messi also spends hours per day practicing his technique, Ronaldo doesn't bother. Like I said 50 free kicks this season, no goals. His attempts to goal record from free kicks throughout the last 5 years is nothing short of appalling.

    Iniesta is a sensational player and actually out of the three is my favourite but I think Ronaldo has him beat. Iniesta's form over the last season or two has dipped because of injuries. This talk of Ronaldo being a choker is severely overblown. He's under performed in big matches in the past yes, so has Messi and Iniesta. But he's scored in the CL final, Copa Del Ray final and countless times in big games in England. Remember when he destroyed Arsenal in the CL? He hasn't played well against Barcelona because Real Madrid just can't cope with them. In the last couple of games, the entire RM team has under performed against Barca.

    Just have a look at Messi in the World cup, was completely non-existent. Mostly it was due to not having Xavi and Iniesta.

    Messi have accomplished more playing for the best side in this generation. Xavi and Iniesta have accomplished more than both Messi and Ronaldo, but I wouldn't necessarily call them better players. Ronaldo has also proved himself in two leagues, both the best in the world. He's about to win his first league title in Spain, has already finished as top scorer ect. If Messi retired now, Ronaldo could easily surpass his achievements. Barca would lose their best player and Ronaldo would be the best player in the world meaning he would have little competition for the Golden ball, ballon dr ect.

    Clearly you haven't seen Real Madrid play very often then because he plays there on a regular basis.

    I agree their performances were about on par but I think Larsson's longevity gives him the edge. Also Laudrap was already an established player when he arrived in Scotland while Larsson was relatively unknown. Larsson was an incredible player, if he moved to England in his prime I think he would have been up there with the likes of Shearar and Henry. For me he was far better than the likes of Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke ect.

    He passes plenty but has just gained a reputation as a selfish player which he is at times. The 2007-8 Utd team he played in was the best team he played in and he had plenty of assists. His partnership with Rooney was devastating but for Madrid he is their main goal scorer. That's why he plays more central nowadays. Messi has two team mates near the top of the assist's leagues. Aside from Messi and ROnaldo, both RM and Barca have 3 players in the top 10 for assists. Barca has the MF in the world by far with Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas not to mention Alves on the right. Messi plays in a better team but Ronaldo scores more. Ronaldo has two more goals and one less assist having played a game more. Shows how close they are.

    Those stats prove Messi is more efficient, Ronaldo deserves his own credit for creating so many chances in the first place. Messi's career total is better than Ronaldo but you aren't considering Ronaldo played in a very defensive league in England. Messi has played in the same league his entire career and it's the most attacking league in the world by far. A better way to compare them is in La Liga where Ronaldo has 98 goals in 89 appearances in the league and 126 in 127 overall. Messi has 147 in 201 in the league and 228 in 311 overall. After 2 seasons and a half Ronaldo has 98 league goals compared to Messi who had 21 in his first 3 seasons. In the two previous seasons combined Messi scored 65 in 68 while Ronaldo scored 66 in 63. More goals in less games, Ronaldo is the better goal scorer.

    Ronaldo is one of the hardest trainers in world football, everyone at Madrid says he trains non stop hence his unbelievable fitness. When he played for United he didn't always hit as hard as he could, you could see the technique in his shots. Again it was the 2007-08 where he was just incredible, the dip he had on the ball was incredible. During Euro 2008 every time Portugal got a threatening free kick, all his team mates wanted him to take it. I'm sure the dipping free kick isn't hard for Juhninio but it is for just about every other human being on the planet. Can't remember exactly but Junihio has something like 44 goals from free kicks. Don't think any other player has anything close to that, after a while I'm sure it becomes easy. Ronaldo has about 20+ goals in his career from free kicks, far more than Messi.


    Ronaldo has never performed in a major final. Two CL finals, two of the worst performances you'll ever see. Messi and Iniesta have performed brilliantly on the biggest stage. Performing against Arsenal in the CL is the same as playing in a league match. His performances against the top teams in Europe have always fallen short and his performances in international competition have been laughable to say the least. Messi is yet to perform at a WC but he's more than made up for it at club level. His performances at the WC were nothing to do with a lack of Xavi and Iniesta, it was inept management and poor team selection. Iniesta performs on the biggest stage. Always.

    If Messi retired, Iniesta would become the best player in the world. Ronaldo has no chance of matching Messi's achievements. 3 Ballon D'ors in a row, he wouldn't come close to.

    Ronaldo never plays upfront. Stop telling lies to make up for your lack of ability to make a point. He plays as a left winger. Real play the same formation EVERY GAME and Benzema or Higuain play upfront EVERY GAME. Ronaldo does not play central, he plays on the left. He rarely passes and is unquestionable the most selfish player in the world.

    He gets that many chances because of people like Ozil creating for him. Messi has a much better goals per game ratio and a much better shots to goals ratio. It's not even close. Messi is by far the better scorer. A hilarious attempt to compare Ronaldo aged 25 to Messi aged 18. Utterly comical. You need to stop now because you're embarrassing yourself with such drivel.

    The last paragraph of your drivel is simply one lie after another.

    First CL final he played well and took his goal well, but was kept quite by Ashley Cole who was on top form and the best LB in the world. Second he was poor but to be fair Utd were dominated in that match. Iniesta has always played magnificently on the big stage, Messi hasn't. Iniesta perfoms better than Messi on the big stage. I remember in the CL semi final where we were robbed Messi was silent in both legs because we knew how to contain him. He was in Essien's back pocket. League or otherwise, playing against Arsenal counts as the big stage and Ronaldo destroyed them. Messi was poor during the world cup and never performed well in the Copa America meaning he is just about as ineffective on the international stage as Ronaldo. Also Argentina are a better side than Portugal who have dropped off in the last few years. Also comical to claim that Messi has made up for his poor world cup performances with club performances and not saying the same thing about Ronaldo. What more do you want him to do at club level? After this season he will have won everything he could possibly win at club level. 98 goals in 89 appearances not good enough for you? No I'm sure Andy Carroll's and Jordan Henderon's performances have been better. There's not a Liverpool player who would even come close to that. The man has 13 ha-tricks in 2 and a half seasons and 14 overall for Madrid.

    Ronaldo already has a ball on D r and a whole other list of accomplishments. If Messi retired, Ronaldo would catch up in 2 seasons.

    Ronaldo always plays striker for Madrid and for Portugal as well. He has played less there this season because Higuain and Benzema have both found form. Anyway even if he wasn't a striker, that makes the amount of goals he has scored all the more impressive. All those goals from the wing is incredible.

    Ronaldo scores because he has Ozil creating chances for him? And? Messi scores goals because he has players like Xavi creating chances for him and the difference is Messi has always had Xavi there. Ronaldo did it long before OZil came into the picture.

    The 18 year old Messi against 25 year old Ronaldo is unfair, that's why I compared the last 2 seasons where Ronaldo is clearly better. Messi scored 65 in 68 while Ronaldo scored 66 in 63. More goals in less games, Ronaldo is the better goal scorer. We have already established the shots to goals ratio makes Messi more efficent, Ronaldo shoots from further out so ofc he is going to miss. Nothing comical about it, the stats are there but your pure hatred of Ronaldo stops you from seeing sense. I'll say it one more time, Ronaldo has more goals in less games so how exactly does Messi have a better goal to game ratio? 126 goals in 127 is just about the best you can get.

    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm

    Here's an intresting article I ran into btw about the matter.

    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/why-messi-ronaldo-score-many-175839597.html

    In the same period Ronaldo has scored 126 in 127 Messi has scored 150 in 151. They are both sensational players.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 pm

    CL Final against Chelsea he was awful! He kept be moved from wing to wing so he could try and climb out of Cole's pocket. Horrible performance.

    Messi was fantastic in the last two CL finals. As was Iniesta. Ronaldo has been awful in both CL finals he's played. Ronaldo hasn't single-handedly led a club to a CL, Messi did it last year. Makes up for his poor WC.

    Winning 1 Ballon D'or is impressive but nothing compared to 3 in a year. Ronaldo would need to win 3 in a row to match Messi's accomplishments. Not a chance of it happening.

    Ronaldo has never played as striker for Real and doesn't play there for Portugal either. Stop lying, it's embarrassing.

    Ronaldo was never as prolific without Ozil. Ozil has far more assists and far more chances created than either Xavi or Iniesta over the last two seasons. Messi creates far more chances for himself than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has far more creators with high numbers of assists in his team than Messi does.

    Ronaldo has scored more goals in the last two seasons BECAUSE HE TAKES 100 SHOTS A SEASON MORE. How hard is that for your little mind to understand. Messi is a far better goalscorer because he converts a far higher percentage of his chances.

    And look at their fucking careers, Messi's goals to game ratio is superior.

    Messi is better in every aspect other than heading and given Ronaldo's about 6 inches taller than him it's hardly surprising.

    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Here's an intresting article I ran into btw about the matter.

    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/why-messi-ronaldo-score-many-175839597.html

    In the same period Ronaldo has scored 126 in 127 Messi has scored 150 in 151. They are both sensational players.

    Read it earlier, I read all of Tom William's work.





    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:43 pm

    [img][/img]

    Let's see Ronaldo do this then.
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Sheldan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 pm

    A few Liverpool stats that my mate brought to my attention that I found hilarious, I thought I would post them on here:

    Daglish's tactical nous, blue sky thinking & a shrewd £100 mill player investment sees LFC only 28 points off the top of the EPL.

    Stewart Downing's 0 goals, and 0 assists in 26 EPL games, is a handsome return for a mere £20 million

    £35 million man, Andy Carroll's 3 EPL goals this season have been instrumental in keeping LFC in the hunt for 7th place.

    Jordan Henderson's solitary goal against the mighty Bolton has helped prove his detractors wrong. £16 mil well spent.

    Attack minded Glen Johnson's 0 EPL assists this season, have shown that despite his defensive frailties he's at the perfect level for LFC

    Steven Gerrard may have failed to be on the winning side with any EPL start this season but he's still only a mere 12 titles behind Giggsy

    Jose Enrique must be ecstatic to have left NUFC who are now only 6 points ahead of his new club. Great career progression for the Spaniard

    LFC's 4 home wins this season, sees them join such illustrious powerhouses as WBA & Blackburn. Testament to their fans quality.

    LFC losing the same number of away games as 2nd bottom Wolves shows Daglish has mastered the art of tactical adaptability away from home.

    Only 5 more goals at Anfield will see LFC have the same number of home goals as big spending Blackburn. Monumental achievement.

    LFC need only 1 more goal to have scored the same as Swansea this season. Owners must be pleased with such a glorious triumph.

    Wayne Rooney needs only 5 more goals to have scored the same as the entire LFC side this season. He's gotta be slightly embarrassed by that.

    Charlie Adam has been in a higher league position with Blackpool then he's ever achieved at Anfield. Unreal considering Daglish's greatness.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 pm

    Solid season.......

    You're not saying anything that LFC fans aren't complaining about. Other than the ones that still think Andy Carroll is a good player.
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Sheldan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 pm

    Do you think Dalglish is still the right man for the job?
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 am

    If he's got total control of transfers then no.

    If, as many people think, Comolli has control of transfers then Kenny is working with one hand tied behind his back and the jury is still out.

    Kenny had no say in the January transfer window that brought in Suarez and Carroll. That much is certain. Suarez was a great buy, Carroll was arguably the worst buy in the history of football.

    The summer signings of Downing, Henderson and Adam were brought in to service Carroll and looking at the history of Comolli and Kenny, it would seem that they are Comolli signings. He loves sabermetrics and those three were statistically fantastic last season and were a perfect fit with Carroll.

    Dalglish has made some really poor tactical errors this season though, and his team selections have at times been baffling, so regardless of the transfer policy he's not done a good enough job. But when you're handed a bunch of players you may not want and then lose you're starting defensive midfielder, and your captain and second best player, for extend periods of time, then it's a tough job for anyone.

    Comolli needs to go this summer and then there are three options with regards to Dalglish.

    1) Give him another year and re-assess then.

    2) Give him a final year, with his successor appointed as his assistant for the year to learn the ins and outs of the club and get a chance to assess the squad so that come next summer he knows exactly what he needs to do.

    3) Kenny steps down now, takes a place on the board and helps find his successor.
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am

    Anfields5thKing wrote:CL Final against Chelsea he was awful! He kept be moved from wing to wing so he could try and climb out of Cole's pocket. Horrible performance.

    Messi was fantastic in the last two CL finals. As was Iniesta. Ronaldo has been awful in both CL finals he's played. Ronaldo hasn't single-handedly led a club to a CL, Messi did it last year. Makes up for his poor WC.

    Winning 1 Ballon D'or is impressive but nothing compared to 3 in a year. Ronaldo would need to win 3 in a row to match Messi's accomplishments. Not a chance of it happening.

    Ronaldo has never played as striker for Real and doesn't play there for Portugal either. Stop lying, it's embarrassing.

    Ronaldo was never as prolific without Ozil. Ozil has far more assists and far more chances created than either Xavi or Iniesta over the last two seasons. Messi creates far more chances for himself than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has far more creators with high numbers of assists in his team than Messi does.

    Ronaldo has scored more goals in the last two seasons BECAUSE HE TAKES 100 SHOTS A SEASON MORE. How hard is that for your little mind to understand. Messi is a far better goalscorer because he converts a far higher percentage of his chances.

    And look at their fucking careers, Messi's goals to game ratio is superior.

    Messi is better in every aspect other than heading and given Ronaldo's about 6 inches taller than him it's hardly surprising.


    It wasn't a poor performance, Cole just played a stormer that day. Cole has always had Ronaldo's number. Trying to get away from a player who has you in his back pocket doesn't mean you are playing badly. Same thing happened has happened to Messi before against lesser players. I remember at the world cup against Greece he was completely ineffective one of the Greek players stuck to him like a fly on shit.

    I agree both Messi and Iniesta were incredible but Messi didn't single handily lead Barca to anything. The entire team was incredible.

    If Messi retired then he would have a chance although I wouldn't back him to do it.

    Ofc he has and has done so for UTD as well. In the Manchester derby on the anniversary of the Munich crash where Utd lost 2-1. It shows before the match very clearly that he was playing as a striker for all the teams I mentioned, not sure what's so hard to understand? I gain absolutely nothing by lying about this, I can't even remember why I brought it up in the first place. Messi has played striker as well.

    Messi plays(ed) for the best team of this generation, quite possibly ever. Last season Alves was close to the top of the assists league table. Ronaldo still scored over 40 goals playing in the much more defensive PL without Ozil. If Ronaldo played at Barca he would score just as many if not more goals.

    As I've said before, Messi is more efficient but it means fuck all if Ronaldo scores more which he has. Ronaldo deserves his credit for creating so many chances because at the end of the day stats don't mean shit. Goals do however and there are plenty of players who will take 1000 shots a season without getting a goal. Using the number of shots Ronaldo's takes to discredit the amount of goals he has is comical because it's clearly a system that works for him.

    I've already stated that Ronaldo played in a defensive league while Messi has played in one leauge and one team his whole life. That's what the stats don't tell you. Moving league 3 times and developing new partnerships with new players will affect the number of goals you score. Messi knows the league and team like the back of his hand.

    Ronaldo has better hair so atleast he has the going for him.
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:09 am

    Sheldan wrote:A few Liverpool stats that my mate brought to my attention that I found hilarious, I thought I would post them on here:

    Daglish's tactical nous, blue sky thinking & a shrewd £100 mill player investment sees LFC only 28 points off the top of the EPL.

    Stewart Downing's 0 goals, and 0 assists in 26 EPL games, is a handsome return for a mere £20 million

    £35 million man, Andy Carroll's 3 EPL goals this season have been instrumental in keeping LFC in the hunt for 7th place.

    Jordan Henderson's solitary goal against the mighty Bolton has helped prove his detractors wrong. £16 mil well spent.

    Attack minded Glen Johnson's 0 EPL assists this season, have shown that despite his defensive frailties he's at the perfect level for LFC

    Steven Gerrard may have failed to be on the winning side with any EPL start this season but he's still only a mere 12 titles behind Giggsy

    Jose Enrique must be ecstatic to have left NUFC who are now only 6 points ahead of his new club. Great career progression for the Spaniard

    LFC's 4 home wins this season, sees them join such illustrious powerhouses as WBA & Blackburn. Testament to their fans quality.

    LFC losing the same number of away games as 2nd bottom Wolves shows Daglish has mastered the art of tactical adaptability away from home.

    Only 5 more goals at Anfield will see LFC have the same number of home goals as big spending Blackburn. Monumental achievement.

    LFC need only 1 more goal to have scored the same as Swansea this season. Owners must be pleased with such a glorious triumph.

    Wayne Rooney needs only 5 more goals to have scored the same as the entire LFC side this season. He's gotta be slightly embarrassed by that.

    Charlie Adam has been in a higher league position with Blackpool then he's ever achieved at Anfield. Unreal considering Daglish's greatness.

    Maybe it's because I've been so worried and dismayed about my clubs own abomination of a season but I hadn't realized how shit a season Liverpool have had. Downing, Adam and judging by this season Henderson as well have no business playing for a top side and neither does Carrol ofc.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 am

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:CL Final against Chelsea he was awful! He kept be moved from wing to wing so he could try and climb out of Cole's pocket. Horrible performance.

    Messi was fantastic in the last two CL finals. As was Iniesta. Ronaldo has been awful in both CL finals he's played. Ronaldo hasn't single-handedly led a club to a CL, Messi did it last year. Makes up for his poor WC.

    Winning 1 Ballon D'or is impressive but nothing compared to 3 in a year. Ronaldo would need to win 3 in a row to match Messi's accomplishments. Not a chance of it happening.

    Ronaldo has never played as striker for Real and doesn't play there for Portugal either. Stop lying, it's embarrassing.

    Ronaldo was never as prolific without Ozil. Ozil has far more assists and far more chances created than either Xavi or Iniesta over the last two seasons. Messi creates far more chances for himself than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has far more creators with high numbers of assists in his team than Messi does.

    Ronaldo has scored more goals in the last two seasons BECAUSE HE TAKES 100 SHOTS A SEASON MORE. How hard is that for your little mind to understand. Messi is a far better goalscorer because he converts a far higher percentage of his chances.

    And look at their fucking careers, Messi's goals to game ratio is superior.

    Messi is better in every aspect other than heading and given Ronaldo's about 6 inches taller than him it's hardly surprising.


    It wasn't a poor performance, Cole just played a stormer that day. Cole has always had Ronaldo's number. Trying to get away from a player who has you in his back pocket doesn't mean you are playing badly. Same thing happened has happened to Messi before against lesser players. I remember at the world cup against Greece he was completely ineffective one of the Greek players stuck to him like a fly on shit.

    I agree both Messi and Iniesta were incredible but Messi didn't single handily lead Barca to anything. The entire team was incredible.

    If Messi retired then he would have a chance although I wouldn't back him to do it.

    Ofc he has and has done so for UTD as well. In the Manchester derby on the anniversary of the Munich crash where Utd lost 2-1. It shows before the match very clearly that he was playing as a striker for all the teams I mentioned, not sure what's so hard to understand? I gain absolutely nothing by lying about this, I can't even remember why I brought it up in the first place. Messi has played striker as well.

    Messi plays(ed) for the best team of this generation, quite possibly ever. Last season Alves was close to the top of the assists league table. Ronaldo still scored over 40 goals playing in the much more defensive PL without Ozil. If Ronaldo played at Barca he would score just as many if not more goals.

    As I've said before, Messi is more efficient but it means fuck all if Ronaldo scores more which he has. Ronaldo deserves his credit for creating so many chances because at the end of the day stats don't mean shit. Goals do however and there are plenty of players who will take 1000 shots a season without getting a goal. Using the number of shots Ronaldo's takes to discredit the amount of goals he has is comical because it's clearly a system that works for him.

    I've already stated that Ronaldo played in a defensive league while Messi has played in one leauge and one team his whole life. That's what the stats don't tell you. Moving league 3 times and developing new partnerships with new players will affect the number of goals you score. Messi knows the league and team like the back of his hand.

    Ronaldo has better hair so atleast he has the going for him.


    It was an awful performance. Cole barely broke sweat. Ronaldo has never performed in a major final.

    Last season in the CL Messi carried Barca. Everyone who watched them play knows it.

    Never played as a striker for Real. Left winger every single week. Maybe a handful of times for United but you can count on one hand the number of times he's played as a striker.

    Messi is more efficient and more prolific. Those are the only two things that it's based on and Messi is far superior in both. He's also outscoring Ronaldo this season just to top things off. 10 more goals than him.

    Nobody in Europe has taken more shots than Ronaldo in any of the last 5 seasons. Nobody has even been within 70 of him. He's selfish and wastes ridiculous amounts of chances and his lack of efficiency is a massive negative.

    Premier League is not a defensive league. Hilarious that you would think that it is.

    Messi's hair is far superior! Flowing locks beats greasy pretty boy every time.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:18 am

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:A few Liverpool stats that my mate brought to my attention that I found hilarious, I thought I would post them on here:

    Daglish's tactical nous, blue sky thinking & a shrewd £100 mill player investment sees LFC only 28 points off the top of the EPL.

    Stewart Downing's 0 goals, and 0 assists in 26 EPL games, is a handsome return for a mere £20 million

    £35 million man, Andy Carroll's 3 EPL goals this season have been instrumental in keeping LFC in the hunt for 7th place.

    Jordan Henderson's solitary goal against the mighty Bolton has helped prove his detractors wrong. £16 mil well spent.

    Attack minded Glen Johnson's 0 EPL assists this season, have shown that despite his defensive frailties he's at the perfect level for LFC

    Steven Gerrard may have failed to be on the winning side with any EPL start this season but he's still only a mere 12 titles behind Giggsy

    Jose Enrique must be ecstatic to have left NUFC who are now only 6 points ahead of his new club. Great career progression for the Spaniard

    LFC's 4 home wins this season, sees them join such illustrious powerhouses as WBA & Blackburn. Testament to their fans quality.

    LFC losing the same number of away games as 2nd bottom Wolves shows Daglish has mastered the art of tactical adaptability away from home.

    Only 5 more goals at Anfield will see LFC have the same number of home goals as big spending Blackburn. Monumental achievement.

    LFC need only 1 more goal to have scored the same as Swansea this season. Owners must be pleased with such a glorious triumph.

    Wayne Rooney needs only 5 more goals to have scored the same as the entire LFC side this season. He's gotta be slightly embarrassed by that.

    Charlie Adam has been in a higher league position with Blackpool then he's ever achieved at Anfield. Unreal considering Daglish's greatness.

    Maybe it's because I've been so worried and dismayed about my clubs own abomination of a season but I hadn't realized how shit a season Liverpool have had. Downing, Adam and judging by this season Henderson as well have no business playing for a top side and neither does Carrol ofc.

    We've won something, you haven't.

    Our squad are united, yours is falling apart.

    Our season has been better than yours despite being shit.

    -------

    http://thearmbar.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=2637

    Sponsored content

    Re: Football discussion

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:12 am