THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
1972-casual
Anfields5thKing
6 posters

UFC 155 Discussion Thread

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 155 Discussion Thread Empty UFC 155 Discussion Thread

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:27 am

Also known as

When Cain fought JDS and put a beating on him.

Surely there can be no doubt that Cain is the best HW in the world, and arguably the best the UFC has ever had. The beating he's handed out to Kongo, Rothwell, and especially Brock, Big Foot and now JDS have been immense. He outgrappled, outstruck, and outworked JDS on Saturday in an incredibly one-sided fight. Credit to JDS for lasting all 5 rounds but Cain destroyed him. Broken jaw, broken nose, possibly a broken orbital bone. That's what's known as making a statement. Cain made JDS look like an amateur at times. He's so dominant when he's at 100% and I think two things became clear last night.

He wasn't ready for the first fight and clearly wasn't at 100%.

and

There's absolutely no reason to have a rubber match any time soon.

Cain will wreck Overeem after Reem wins his next fight IMO.

Oh, and the judge who scored it 50-45 is a fucking moron!

---------------

In terms of the rest of the card

Jim Miller looked fantastic, he really looks to have taken another step forward after recent setbacks. I'd like to see him fight Guida next. Lauzon is tough as nails, lost a ridiculous amount of blood.

Phillipou vs Boetsch should happen again IMO. The headbutt and the eyepoke caused the real damage. Boetsch has more balls than brains. He clearly couldn't see, he was winning the fight up until the headbutt and eyepoke.

Okami just Okami'd the life out of Belcher. Really disappointed with Belcher personally. Thought he'd reached a new level after his recent wins.

Brunson ran away in the third round and IMO should have been docked a point for it. He was impressive in the first round, not so much after that.

I missed a lot of the pre-lims, mainly because I wasn't interested in watching them, but I did watch Perez, he looks like a bit of a beast.

-----------------

John Anik and Joe Rogan is so much better as a commentary team than Goldberg and Rogan.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

UFC 155 Discussion Thread Empty Re: UFC 155 Discussion Thread

Post  1972-casual Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:32 am

Couldn't disagree more Anfield. The amount of headbutts JDS put on Cain's fist was enough to win the fight.

Jokin aside Cain looked awesome and I was surprised how easily he man-handled 'The Baddest man on the planet' who now assume isn't.

Jim Miller looked like a beast and hats off to J-Lo.

How the fook was Pickett V Winland not on the main card??????

No a bad card but thought Leben fight was embarresing.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:39 am

I picked Cain to win aswell, he would have finished JDS if he took a step back and hit more punches when JDS was still out of it in first few rounds. But there was no point risking getting clipped by JDS again, as a loss for for Cain would have been detriment.

JDS will be back and i think these 2 will fight atleast 2 more times. They are both well ahead of rest of HW division.

Belcher is an idiot, horrific gameplan. Dropping down for a guillotine and losing position once is bad enough but to do it 3-4 times in a fight against a grappler like Okami is stupid.

Shame Boetsch got injured, he was going to win that fight and he would have had 5 fight win streak. All this means that Weidman will be next in line to title shot unless Bisping beats Belfort.

Happy new year all you guys. santa
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:46 pm

I know these guys are fighters and JDS has a lot of heart but does anybody else think he'd have been better off gettin a TKO loss in the 1st? We've all seen fights stopped for less.

The reason I say is because I'd imagine a long long medical suspension and he probably won't be back til the summer because of all the damage he took. With a 1st round loss he could have been back in March/April and with a win prob got a title shot before the end of 2013.

I know while the fight is still on he always had a chance but after the first 3 mins nobody would have picked him. Hope I'm making at least some sense.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:06 pm

1972-casual wrote:I know these guys are fighters and JDS has a lot of heart but does anybody else think he'd have been better off gettin a TKO loss in the 1st? We've all seen fights stopped for less.

The reason I say is because I'd imagine a long long medical suspension and he probably won't be back til the summer because of all the damage he took. With a 1st round loss he could have been back in March/April and with a win prob got a title shot before the end of 2013.

I know while the fight is still on he always had a chance but after the first 3 mins nobody would have picked him. Hope I'm making at least some sense.

JDS got a 5 minute beating in that first round but he always looked able to defend himself there was no clear point in the round where I felt the ref should have stepped in, maybe his corner should have pulled him out in between rounds but he always has that punchers chance, it might be good for him to have a 6 month break because he needs to go back to the drawing board and come back with a better game plan,

Not sure packing on more muscle and hoping to catch Cain with that one shot was the right way to go but I guess you could say that it is sometimes easier in a rematch if you where the fighter who lost first time round because you have more of an idea on what to change,

The first round reminded me of Sonnen vs Silva first round in both there fights but Cain has more power he was just brutal whilst not giving JDS a second to think.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 pm

What a display from Cain. Cannot wait for Cain vs Overoid, although I also expect that to be one sided. Never seen a HW show that much discipline before. He has so much control and cardio for days.

Boetsch's corner should have pulled their fighter, as soon as he said that he couldn't see to close the distance.

FOTY contender with Lauzon/Miller, Miller surely now has to be in the mix for a title shot?

Okami done what Okami does, and Leben was shocking.

Away to find a download of the DREAM NYE card.

Have a good one guys.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 pm

I see the card only drew 12,300 or so with a gate of $3.2m compared to UFC 148 Silva v Sonnen II at the same venue which drew 15,500 (or so) but a gate of $6.9m.

Anybody got any ideas why such a big difference apart from the obvious answer of silva and sonnen are better draws?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:14 pm

1972-casual wrote:I see the card only drew 12,300 or so with a gate of $3.2m compared to UFC 148 Silva v Sonnen II at the same venue which drew 15,500 (or so) but a gate of $6.9m.

Anybody got any ideas why such a big difference apart from the obvious answer of silva and sonnen are better draws?

Time of year maybe?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Wow Cain made a big fan of me with his Areal Hewani interview before the fight, he completley shrugged of talk of the injury in the last fight and even said he was pissed UFC used it as an excuse on his behalf. Guy was clearly not right to fight but wont make an excuse, he is the Anti Tito.

Pete hit the nail on the head, Control, I though Cardio was his biggest tool but his MMA wrestling is off the charts, he positions himself so well to be able to keep punches coming (Better than ive seen GSP do IMO) and was able to pin Junior down while looking really realaxed. He is so so comfortable when grappling starts his heart rate must be like he is resting!

I dont want to rain on his parade but his chin was still sticking up in the air after he threw his own shots. Still his "weak chin" really held up and he is bobbing his head from side to side coming in which helps. Overeem needs to get better at counter punching because thats the time to hit Cain. If you dont hit him then you loose, he is putting anyone on their back and keeping them there. Could Werdum be more dangerous than Overeem as he has most to offer off his back? Then Again Cain would do him in standing and could keep it there.

I dont see why a rubbermatch is out of the question but I think he needs 2 more wins unless they are short of contenders. Overeem is next as long as he gets past bigfoot, Werdum is supposed to be after that if he gets past Nog... Nog and Bigfoot winning could put him to the front of the pack again.

Barnett is the next fight for Junior IMO, UFC should put another grappler in front of him, he is young and in ring experience is so important. Someone trying to grapple at all costs as Barnett would is what he needs to build back up.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:43 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Wow Cain made a big fan of me with his Areal Hewani interview before the fight, he completley shrugged of talk of the injury in the last fight and even said he was pissed UFC used it as an excuse on his behalf. Guy was clearly not right to fight but wont make an excuse, he is the Anti Tito.

Pete hit the nail on the head, Control, I though Cardio was his biggest tool but his MMA wrestling is off the charts, he positions himself so well to be able to keep punches coming (Better than ive seen GSP do IMO) and was able to pin Junior down while looking really realaxed. He is so so comfortable when grappling starts his heart rate must be like he is resting!

I dont want to rain on his parade but his chin was still sticking up in the air after he threw his own shots. Still his "weak chin" really held up and he is bobbing his head from side to side coming in which helps. Overeem needs to get better at counter punching because thats the time to hit Cain. If you dont hit him then you loose, he is putting anyone on their back and keeping them there. Could Werdum be more dangerous than Overeem as he has most to offer off his back? Then Again Cain would do him in standing and could keep it there.

I dont see why a rubbermatch is out of the question but I think he needs 2 more wins unless they are short of contenders. Overeem is next as long as he gets past bigfoot, Werdum is supposed to be after that if he gets past Nog... Nog and Bigfoot winning could put him to the front of the pack again.

Barnett is the next fight for Junior IMO, UFC should put another grappler in front of him, he is young and in ring experience is so important. Someone trying to grapple at all costs as Barnett would is what he needs to build back up.

I completely agree about Cains style, and whilst IMO too much was made about the JDS KO, it still worries me. I would love to see how Cain shapes up against someone like Werdum, as we've yet to see anything regards sub defence from him (Cain), I don't have anything against a rubber match TBH. I think that so much was taken out of JDS in the 1st round, that we didn't see a true test. I would like to see JDS fight the loser of Overoid/Bif Foot, if I'm honest. What chances of Cormier coming across and fighting at HW? If there's a chance, that would be a decent match up.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Lauzon is the toughest geek of all time by the way, Miller looked like he was trying to Murder him and probabally came close with that blood loss. Lauzon should hold his head high because this was the best Miller ive seen in ages. FOTY contender, The blood loss must have been a factor but Elbows like Miller threw will slice anyone up. Brutal standup display from a guy knows as a Sub fighter.

Duffee looked good doing what he does and throwing bombs, Pat Barry should be next maby? Mid tier Hw is really exciting, those 2 Lavar,Schaub, Gonzaga, Herman too. Browne might even mix it up with these guys to get back on track, cant wait to see what Hw fights we get in 2013.

Wineland is a great fighter, really good win against Pickett who was been looking a top contender, Yahya rematch might be an Idea if he isnt back at 145? Otherwise Faber rematch if he gets past Menjavar

Leonard Garcia is keeping his job! Glad to see, real exciting fight could have been FOTN on other cards. He was landing the harder shots I could have seen him getting the nod but im sure I remember the stats showing Holloway landing more.

Varner should fight Josh Thompson or maby Healy? Guida is at 145 Anfield.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Wow Cain made a big fan of me with his Areal Hewani interview before the fight, he completley shrugged of talk of the injury in the last fight and even said he was pissed UFC used it as an excuse on his behalf. Guy was clearly not right to fight but wont make an excuse, he is the Anti Tito.

I completely agree about Cains style, and whilst IMO too much was made about the JDS KO, it still worries me. I would love to see how Cain shapes up against someone like Werdum, as we've yet to see anything regards sub defence from him (Cain), I don't have anything against a rubber match TBH. I think that so much was taken out of JDS in the 1st round, that we didn't see a true test. I would like to see JDS fight the loser of Overoid/Bif Foot, if I'm honest. What chances of Cormier coming across and fighting at HW? If there's a chance, that would be a decent match up.

I think his Controll on top will shut down a lot of guys BJJ, he doesnt leave a lot of openings and punching against the cage when they are sitting up etc.. doesnt leave the opponent much option, Junior was out of Ideas as well as stamina but Werdum vs Cain would be great. Id guess his biggest weakness is the high chin but he looks like he is a smart fighter, not only the head bobbing more but avoided risky exchanges even when Junior was hurt.

JDS is friends with Bigfoot they arent keen to fight aparently. Overeem wont loose, Bigfoot is a good fight for him.

Cormier vs Junior would be a better build up than Barnett, close style to Cain but Ive a feeling Cormier is moving to 205. Too much talk about him going there right now and Cain is champ and he wants a title shot.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:09 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

I think his Controll on top will shut down a lot of guys BJJ, he doesnt leave a lot of openings and punching against the cage when they are sitting up etc.. doesnt leave the opponent much option, Junior was out of Ideas as well as stamina but Werdum vs Cain would be great. Id guess his biggest weakness is the high chin but he looks like he is a smart fighter, not only the head bobbing more but avoided risky exchanges even when Junior was hurt.

JDS is friends with Bigfoot they arent keen to fight aparently. Overeem wont loose, Bigfoot is a good fight for him.

Cormier vs Junior would be a better build up than Barnett, close style to Cain but Ive a feeling Cormier is moving to 205. Too much talk about him going there right now and Cain is champ and he wants a title shot.

I know that he and Cain are good friends and training partners, but I thought there would be health issues with Cormier cutting again? Agreed that Overoid shouldn't lose against Big Foot. Not sure how many viable alternatives JDS has though? Wasn't that impressed with the Barnett that fought Cormier, although I would like to see someone test JDS's sub defence.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Cormier wont have a problem moving to 205, he said he was cutting wrong before and that he could diet to get closer to the weight. He is a brick of a man but there is a few lbs of blubber to cut.

Cain talked about going Cormier at 205 if he wins the title, Cormier has made most noise about Bones, Dana said Cormier could fight at 205.

Its everywhere Id be supprised to see him at Hw to be honest.

Yeah Barnett didnt do well against Cormier, anyone he cant get down will give him hell because his standup is still his weakness (although it isnt terrible) Junior has great TDD but relies on Altheticness and cage grabbing a lot. Barnett could take a tired Junior down and Id like to see them fight, JDS has already beat Mir and Werdum who are the other 2 on that sort of level.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am

I watched the Cain-JDS fight back, and then went and watch Couture-Liddell 1. Honestly, if Cain hasn't taken some of his gameplan from that, I'd be amazed. It was practically a carbon copy. Couture used his head movement to throw Chuck's timing, just like Cain did to JDS. He used his wrestling and cardio to grind him down and control him, and he managed to outstrike him because of the constant pressure as well as the head movement, all just like Cain did.

Fantastic.

I thought the fight should have been stopped in the second round and I think JDS was hoping it would be. He stopped defending himself a few times as Cain was putting a beating on him. That second round was just a mauling.

If Cormier goes to 205, AKA will have two UFC champions in 2013 IMO.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm