THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
Mryzyz
Ginginho
payneNglory1
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
19 posters

Football discussion

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Football discussion - Page 39 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Martin O'Neil Question Rolling Eyes yeah O'Neil's poor,your so much better off with Rogers lol!

4th most Prem manager of the months awards and 9 SPL ones

2 FA trophys,Back to back promotions with Wycombe and finished 6th the next season,but because of the new league changes,6th wasn't a play off spot that year.

Leicesters most successful manager ever,promotion from division 1 followed by 4 back to back top 10 prem finishes and 3 league cup finals,2 of which he won.

O'neil broke loads of long standing records in his time with Celtic.He Won the treble with Celtic in his first season,the season before your King Kenny and John barnes could only manage to finish 21 points behind Rangers,he took Celtic to the UFEA cup final,oh yeah and they beat Liverpool on there way to getting there,followed by a 1/4 final in the UEFA cup,beating barcelona in that run.
    5 seasons at Celtic,3 league titles,3 Scottish cups,a league cup,UEFA final and 1/4 final,a record 7 consecutive Old firm wins and a record 25 back to back wins.

League cup final and FA cup semi with Villa,and took a struggling Villa team that finished in 16th place the season before,back into europe and to 11th,6th,6th and 6th place premier finishes.

Who's not been paying attention?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I see Mick of the McCarty's seems to be the favorite for the Bolton job a pretty safe and trusted option for Bolton.

O'Neil is a good manager no doubt but he is still a mercenary sod and extremely overrated and as for winning the SPL League Title with Celtic....My League Title medal with Linthouse Wolves (we were very much fancied to win the Bilston League at the time) as a kid has more meaning of achievement than winning the the SPL with Celtic.

I'm well prepared for any backlash.

Football discussion - Page 39 Flame_suit
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Martin O'Neil Question Rolling Eyes yeah O'Neil's poor,your so much better off with Rogers lol!

2 FA trophys,Back to back promotions with Wycombe and finished 6th the next season,but because of the new league changes,6th wasn't a play off spot that year.

Leicesters most successful manager ever,promotion from division 1 followed by 4 back to back top 10 prem finishes and 3 league cup finals,2 of which he won.

O'neil broke loads of long standing records in his time with Celtic.He Won the treble with Celtic in his first season,the season before your King Kenny and John barnes could only manage to finish 21 points behind Rangers,he took Celtic to the UFEA cup final,oh yeah and they beat Liverpool on there way to getting there,followed by a 1/4 final in the UEFA cup,beating barcelona in that run.
    5 seasons at Celtic,3 league titles,3 Scottish cups,a league cup,UEFA final and 1/4 final,a record 7 consecutive Old firm wins and a record 25 back to back wins.

League cup final and FA cup semi with Villa,and took a struggling Villa team that finished in 16th place the season before,back into europe and to 11th,6th,6th and 6th place premier finishes.

Sorry to jump in on this one, but Martin O'Neil? Please. One of the most overrated managers in the history of overrated managers. Some of his pearlers in the past, have included signing Emile Heskey (£3.5million), Nicky Shorey (£4m), Luke Young (£5m), Carlos Cueller (£7.8m), Marlon Harewood (£3.5m) and Reo-Coker (£8m+). Maybe it's because he is in charge of Scumderland, but fuck me. Any trophy won at Celtic/Rangers is hardly worth a light, as it's a two horse race. Okay, at Villa he guided them to a (singular) final (in the mickey mouse cup) and 1 FA cup semi (big fucking deal), and after spending a shed-load of cash, took a mediocre team, to even more mediocrity!! And, before you start, I am aware that, as a Toon fan, I am hardly speaking from a position of strength, an overrated manager, is still an overrated manager. Rant over.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm

hey mate ,Martin O'Neil,a Forest legend,who learned his trade and was taught by the greatest,R.I.P and would be the #1 choice by 99% of Forest fans to run our club Very Happy

Admittedly the Mickey Mouse Scottish league is a two horse race,but he still smashed other managers that worked the same job or the Rangers job records in his 5 years.

He did wonders at wycomb and leicester and Leicesters prem and cup success was done on a shoe string budget,and at the time,teams still fielded strong sides in the cup.

yes he did over spend at villa,they needed to spend though,to stay competitive with the top teams,he still managed 3 6th places and at one stage his team was in the challenge for a top 4 place.

Some of his signing weren't great,Shorey was being touted by many teams,readings stand out defender,plus Shorey was brought in out of necessity,because of the injury to Bouma,where did you read 4 mil,I can only find undisclosed fee,anyway 4 mil for a capped english LB,wasn't that bad of a deal at the time.
    Plus he was bloody fantastic wearing the old Garibaldi. Very Happy

Hesky was someone he was close to O'neil from his Leicester days,who I'm sure was a big help off the field as well,and since he had loads to spend if needed,3.5 mil was exactly a huge gamble for them.

Young was pricey,but Sven,ginger twat and capello thought enough of him to bring him into their england sqauds and liverpool put a 2.5 mil bid for him in 2010,so I don't think they can all be wrong on him can they?

Cueller buy out clause was 7.8 mil,he'd only played one year at rangers and in that season,took just about every award going,including Scottish player of the year,so again at the time,nobody was thinking,oh what an awful buy

Harewood was signed as a back up super sub,also he was ex forest and we had a sell on clause,so that was good business in my book,plus your boy Pardew loved him.

Reo Coker is a talent,but he is one of those idiots that has made a mess of it,he's a stroppy little fucker with a bad attitude.

sidwell i thought was going to be a good buy for him,but for what ever reasons that didn't work out

He did bring in the likes of Freidel,Ashley young(Villa made a 10 mil profit on that signing),Milner(12 mil profit + Ireland),Downing(10 mil profit),Dunne

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 pm

also the carew swap for baros was a good deal and Petrov and Collins turned out to be a good buys as well

fletcher and johnson don't seem to of got off to the worst starts either.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:hey mate ,Martin O'Neil,a Forest legend,who learned his trade and was taught by the greatest,R.I.P and would be the #1 choice by 99% of Forest fans to run our club Very Happy

Admittedly the Mickey Mouse Scottish league is a two horse race,but he still smashed other managers that worked the same job or the Rangers job records in his 5 years.

He did wonders at wycomb and leicester and Leicesters prem and cup success was done on a shoe string budget,and at the time,teams still fielded strong sides in the cup.

yes he did over spend at villa,they needed to spend though,to stay competitive with the top teams,he still managed 3 6th places and at one stage his team was in the challenge for a top 4 place.

Some of his signing weren't great,Shorey was being touted by many teams,readings stand out defender,plus Shorey was brought in out of necessity,because of the injury to Bouma,where did you read 4 mil,I can only find undisclosed fee,anyway 4 mil for a capped english LB,wasn't that bad of a deal at the time.

Hesky was someone he was close to O'neil from his Leicester days,who I'm sure was a big help off the field as well,and since he had loads to spend if needed,3.5 mil was exactly a huge gamble for them.

Young was pricey,but Sven,ginger twat and capello thought enough of him to bring him into their england sqauds and liverpool put a 2.5 mil bid for him in 2010,so I don't think they can all be wrong on him can they?

Cueller buy out clause was 7.8 mil,he'd only played one year at rangers and in that season,took just about every award going,including Scottish player of the year,so again at the time,nobody was thinking,oh what an awful buy

Harewood was signed as a back up super sub,also he was ex forest and we had a sell on clause,so that was good business in my book,plus your boy Pardew loved him.

Reo Coker is a talent,but he is one of those idiots that has made a mess of it,he's a stroppy little fucker with a bad attitude.

sidwell i thought was going to be a good buy for him,but for what ever reasons that didn't work out

He did bring in the likes of Freidel,Ashley young(Villa made a 10 mil profit on that signing),Milner(12 mil profit + Ireland),Downing(10 mil profit),Dunne

Again, I am aware that I am biased, but, regardless, Scottish football should not count, for the purpose of guaging whether he's a decent manager or not.

Wycombe, Leicester - I'll give you.

You say that Villa needed to spend to be 'competitive', I wouldn't call 3 x 6th places as being competitive (certainly not against the money that was spent).

Johnson has been mediocre at best for scumderland, and with regards to Fletcher? I still think he overpaid, but grudgingly, I have to admit, he's started off ok (although hopefully that run has now stopped).

With regards to whether other managers thought these players were good or not, shouldn't really come into it. They weren't. Pardew may have loved Harewood, but that was cos he was free, and we were in the Championship. And any man that claims to have always had a deep love for the vile mackem scum, is a 'wrong un' in my opinion. I do have to concede, however, that the figure I quoted for Shorey may have been a figment of my own imagination, I've searched on-line, and have found nowt, except a post on a villa fans forum. Embarassed

O'Neill as a player? Quality, I remember watching him as a bairn, during your European exploits, as a man? See above, and as a manager, a history of mediocrity and in latter years, over spending. *removes black & white specs*
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Laughing

your Bias is terrible,you should see the guy through my Garibaldi coloured specs
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Razz
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Martin O'Neil Question Rolling Eyes yeah O'Neil's poor,your so much better off with Rogers lol!

BIG yawn.

Over-rated. One dimensional. Had some success in the 90's, a UEFA Cup final loss is his only notable achievement since. Under achieved at Villa given what he spent and done nothing at Sunderland aside from waste money on Adam Johnson who's nothing more than a flashy Stewart Downing and turn them in to a side which play for the draw at home. Similar to what he did at Villa actually. Couple of decent finishes at Villa but never challenged for top 4 when there were only 4 good teams in the league.

And yeah, we are FAR better off with Rodgers.

At least you got to have fun on Wikipedia.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 am

payneNglory1 wrote:hey mate ,Martin O'Neil,a Forest legend,who learned his trade and was taught by the greatest,R.I.P and would be the #1 choice by 99% of Forest fans to run our club Very Happy

You're wrong about the profit on Milner (unless Villa signed him for free, which they didn't) and wrong about Liverpool bidding for Young in 2010.

Cuellar is crap. Anyone can have one good season in Scotland. Hardly an achievement. O'Neill has now signed him twice. Dreadful stuff.

Reo-Coker was average at his peak.

Harewood? Dreadful. A poor man's Heskey, and Heskey was finished when O'Neill signed him for Villa.

His work in the transfer market has been largely awful and his teams play fucking terrible football. He's a fancier version of Tony Pulis.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 am

Of coarse I checked Wikipedia amongst other sites,like I'd really be able to reel off all that about prices,villa and O'Neil off the top of my head.

Did you have fun checking Wiki to see if I was right though Very Happy

I'm glad your happy with Rogers,I'm enjoying it so far,fantastic appointment i think,especially since it's brought on all the,we're playing so well,the refs are against us,we're just unlucky,suarez doesn't cheat,and all those other comedy gold that him and his team have given us neutrals so far.

You have 6 pts after 7 games,he's responsible for Liverpools worst start in 100 years,your currently the second best team on Merseyside and your behind Martin O'Neil's Sunderland team that has Johnson and Cueller in it,and da,da,da,da,da.....I'm loving it Razz

In O'neils time at Villa,he spent 119 mil and took his team from 16th place to 6th,in the same time Rafa spent 172.75 mil and went from 3rd to 7th.

I looked that up by the way,I did think I was fucked when I couldn't find that Info on Wiki,but thank god for google.

Over spending and quickly losing millions is the Liverpool way isn't it?

Carroll,keane,aquilani,diouf,Cheyrou,Adam,Barmby,Ziege,Diao,Kirkland,Cisse,Morientes,Babel,Dossena,Riera,Poulson,I know I must of missed some Laughing

Who knows,maybe you'll get some value out of Downing,Henderson,Allen and Borini,I doubt it,but you should never give up hope.

plenty of sites to google for this

Milner signed for villa for 12 mil,and when he signed for city,including Ireland he went to city in a package deal worth a reported 26 mil

City had a 20 mil bid for Milner turned down in may,and they added Ireland to the pot in Jan and got there man,however you look at it,or what ever value your going to add to Ireland to say the 12 mil profit was wrong,Villa made a profit from the signing and added Ireland to there squad.

I know as a Liverpool fan the concept of profit and value for money doesn't come up very often(cue the Torres response)but it happens at other clubs more often than you'd believe.

here i'll save you some google time on Luke young

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/836497-liverpools-luke-young-transfer-bid-collapses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298886/Luke-Young-priced-Liverpool-move.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/27/liverpool-luke-young-aston-villa
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Hilarious stuff. Rafa Benitez won a Champions League. What the fuck did O'Neill win in the last ten years that's worth talking about?

I'm sure you are loving Liverpool having a difficult start but your club aren't even in the Premier League. You're a championship club now. Which is great to see.

Man City paid 14mil and Stephen Ireland for Milner.

Yeah Roy Hodgson tried to sign Luke Young. Is Roy Hodgson still manager? Did Roy Hodgson last long at Liverpool, no he did not.

Worry about your team of Championship also-rans, and the rest of us will worry about being in the Premier League.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 pm

So I was right,Liverpool did try and sign Young then Razz

I'm just giving you shit mate,because it's Liverpool

Hopefully my little team can get there again one day and resume the fun we used to have.

I miss those days,Had some great days at Anfield and the city ground during the mid 80's up to our brief Prem stays,it was always one of those fixtures where we couldn't get anything out of you at Anfield and your boys struggled at the City ground.

It made for a good rivalry,I'm not trying to say we were one of your main rivals,you just became one of my favourite fixtures,one I most desperately wanted my team to win growing up (It helped with one of my elder Brothers being a Liverpool fan)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 pm

It'd be good to see Forest back in the top flight. Gonna be tough this season though, Championship is the most competitive league in Europe for my money. So many teams capable of winning it and even more teams capable of reaching the playoffs. Only 6 points between top and tenth at the minute. Mental. Forest look fairly tough to beat from the two games I've seen. Won't score a lot but won't concede a lot. Draw specialists this year.

Nottingham's always a good away. Always liked going. I want to see more of the traditional clubs back in the top flight. QPR and now Southampton being back in the Prem has made me wish for the return of Forest, Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday and of course the team with the best stadium in England, Luton Town!

If you're a football fan, regardless of who you support, you've got to pay a visit to Luton Town at some point. You'll not see another stadium quite like it.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Dougie Freedman is the new Bolton manager.

How long before someone suggests McCarthy to replace him at Palace??
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 pm

WELCOME BACK TO MOLINEUX ADLENE

Football discussion - Page 39 3991200

I knew we should of had an Avatar bet on this Cowboy Razz
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Mental week for managers.

Chelsea show themselves to be a farce of a club by sacking a CL winning manager 6 months after he wins the CL and FA Cup double. Granted he's a crap manager and the CL was a fluke but still. Rafa's a shockingly bad fit there. Great appointment for them potentially, terrible fit for him. Pep turned them down again which is hilarious. His agent has twice had to ask Roman to stop calling because Pep doesn't want to speak to him.

QPR sack Mark Hughes, and appoint mediocre 'Arry. He'll get them to safety I'd imagine. Not much more though. Hopefully Sunderland go down, the myth about O'Neill might go away then.

There's also this from this week's fun and games.

[img]Football discussion - Page 39 A8ylhy10[/img]

Spurs fan attacked in Rome. One of the worst cities in the world to travel to as a football fan.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 pm

gruesome..., some neo-nazi jew haters using football as an cover for their disgusting fascist behaviour. Mad
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Dirty Italians,what is it with them and their strikes to the back of the head

Football discussion - Page 39 Method=get&s=patrick-cote-alessio-sakara-gif

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 am

Apparently the reason was that one Spurs fan was seen taking a piss in a some really old laneway and the locals saw that as pissing on the history of their great city. So OBVIOUSLY the only think they could do was hit him with a machete or a hatchet!

I've been to Rome a few times with Liverpool, always gotten into rows. Same in Naples a few years back. Wouldn't mind but I wasn't even wearing colours in Naples, or with other fans. Was walking back to hotel with my missus and two knobs thought the speed they'd put up their noses made them hard.

Tony Evans, the journalist, has been a Liverpool fan since the 60s and was in Rome when we won the European Cup against Roma. In his book he talks about the stabbings Liverpool fans suffered before and during the game. The Roma fans would walk up behind them and stab them twice in the arse, once in each cheek, with a small knife. It wasn't aimed to do long term damage, it was apparently just incredibly sore and really annoying because when you had to get on a plane the next day and sit down............
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:WELCOME BACK TO MOLINEUX ADLENE

Fuck off payne ! Laughing Sad

I knew It was gonna happen It was inevitable wasn't It great goal as well. As a Wolves fan I'm getting worried I've been hearing through friends that there is a division in the team in fact I heard 5 players went to Jez Moxey last weekend to complain against Solbakken. If we lose Tuesday against Millwall which I think we will as we have being playing shit for a good 2 months now I think he could very well be gone.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:WELCOME BACK TO MOLINEUX ADLENE

Fuck off payne ! Laughing Sad

I knew It was gonna happen It was inevitable wasn't It great goal as well. As a Wolves fan I'm getting worried I've been hearing through friends that there is a division in the team in fact I heard 5 players went to Jez Moxey last weekend to complain against Solbakken. If we lose Tuesday against Millwall which I think we will as we have being playing shit for a good 2 months now I think he could very well be gone.

yeah it wasn't to bad was it.

Do you want to see it again Twisted Evil

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Wonder what odds you would have got 12 months ago that Benitez would be at Chelsea, AVB at Spurs and Harry at QPR,

A year is defo a long time in football.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Top player IMO - Sandro (the human wall)

Not sure that Anderson Silva needs to be too worried yet.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Hope his ground game is a bit better!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:24 am