THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
wilksdaman
Albion_Oakley
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
Heterocyclic
rudeboyben84
Raiden
sunthunder
rorymc7
redmeanie77
Toquinho
15 posters

Spolier...penn vs edgar

Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Spolier...penn vs edgar Empty Spolier...penn vs edgar

Post  Toquinho Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Haven't been able to watch the event but have been keeping an eye on the play-by-play on sherdog. They had Penn winning every round..i was shocked when i noticed that Edgar had been given the decision.

Sounds like poor judging, even if it was a close fight you would think the champ might get the nod similar to the machida shogun fight.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Spolier...penn vs edgar Empty Re: Spolier...penn vs edgar

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:59 pm

I had Edgar 3-2 rounds.

Im very happy for him, im dissapointed with Andersons antics during the fight.
    rorymc7
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  rorymc7 Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

First post on forum!

I had Edgar 3 - 2 as well but shocked he actually got the decision and Anderson needs a serious talking too he's getting worse with every fight
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Some play-by-plays had different scores. MMA Junkie had it 3-2 for Edgar, which was the right score I think.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Apparently Dana had a right go at Soares at the end of the 4th round, then threw Andersons belt on the floor and left to the backstage.

Anderson showed no respect for his opponent who is a phenomenal competitor, you dont achieve what he's done by not being so.

Anderson showed no respect to Dana/UFC and co., the guys the pay him thousands to fight.

But most importantly he showed no respect to the fans of the sport and the guys who pay to see him fight.

I am so pissed off right now, i need to lie down.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Spolier...penn vs edgar Empty penn vs edgar

Post  Raiden Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Really well done to Frankie Edgar he deserved to get the win. BJ did not look himself.

I'm a big Anderson Silva but that disply was shocking, I thought it was funny up to a point but he went way overboard with the shouting and taunting. What the fuck?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm completely off Anderson forever i think.

I dont care what he does next. Maia needs some time off, he fought too soon since 109, and should then look at the Belcher/Cote winner or Bisping if he beats Miller.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Fuck me some shockers today!!!

First of all Anderson dominated Maia, I know it wasnt good to watch but if the loosing fighter doesn not engage its more his fault. Im not defending Andersons actions im pissed off as everyone else but Maia didnt do anything, his punches were thrown from meters away, he had no intention on most of his strikes and just wanted to survive he has little better than Thales Leites. Anderson is pain bored in the Octogon Belfort would whatever people thing of him have pushed Anderson he wouldnt just cower away and be happy to survive for a second. It was like Clottley vs Pacquiao but 10X worse tonight, there is no shame in coming out all guns blazing and getting Forrest Griffined! You gotta question why a guy like Maia was in a title fight, Id have rathered see Anderson fight a journeyman heavyweight.

Edgar is a legend I dont know what 50-45 was about though, I had a feeling BJ had overlooked him, Is BJ even still with his strength and conditioning coaches he used for Sanchez and KFLO? I dont think so. He hasnt in the shape he has for those fights. Edgar is just such a great fighter, his Boxing is superb, when they talked about him as a wrester I though I think of him as more a boxer these days. And he is a 145er, MTB, Aldo probabally even Faber are as big or bigger than him. Rashad Evans had the same success because he had more energy at his natural weight, Its refreshing to see, weight cutting is getting a bit out of hand in MMA, fighters who puff in a 15 min fight wouldnt happen if everyone handled weight cuts like these 2. I think of part of it was Penn underestimating him, but credit were credit is due, I think he would beat Eddie Alvarez.

Some Comeback by Munoz!! I though he would win but I didnt expect Grove to do so well! Good fight.

Shame Etim lost im a big fan of his, that was also a really good fight, his standup is seruiosly enjoyable to watch, Havnt seen Johnson or Kelly fight, anyone got links?

Another Gracie another flop! Renzo is a cool guy but a shite fighter now. He ate those leg kicks from hughes like he had never seen or heard of a leg kick! Laughing I could see him getting cut straight away he is 40 afterall. Hughes? Fair enough, he displayed a bit of sub par striking, nothing he did blew me away, Id have rather see a big slam and some GnP to show he could still do what do does best.

Phil Davis did allright! I know he has a few fans on here. I though when they called his takedowns maby better than GSP's was funny, either Gustafsson has the best sprawl going to calling him the second coming of GSP was a bit of an exaduration! Still very very impressive finish, it was only a matter of time before he did get the takedown and it was good to see him put a finish on like he did, Tight sub that had Gustafsson tapping straight away. Dangerous Subbs and great wrestling is a winning combo even if he doesnt excel at Standup.

Disapointing card overall but im sure the other 2 brits I havnt seen but on a show!
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Very happy for Edgar, I scored it 3-2 for him. Dunno what the one judge was thinking, 50-45! Something wrong with BJ too, he didn't seem himself, but fair play to Edgar. The lightweight division needed a bit of a shakeup.

Watching Silva was cringeworthy. I'm pretty sure he'll get a stern talking to from Dana, but it'll blow over by the time he's in the cage next. Soares is definitely not in Dana's good book now! Maia stepped up, lost the fight, but won at the end of the day. He'll be fine.

Hughes Gracie was not fun to watch, but I'm a relatively new fan so never gone through the hype that surrounded them in their prime. Hughes refusing to go to ground sucked (me and my mates were hoping for an amazimng Gracie sub...), but it worked for him, and who can blaim him for not going to the ground.

Unlucky for Etim, but he'll come back soon. Munoz I don't care for.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:57 pm

LONG READ

Firstly, forget Rumble Johnson....

Anderson Silva just went (back) to the top of my most hated fighters list.

I dont usually (ever) sympathise with Dana White, but i would be fuming if i were him.

First time ever in abu dhabi, the whole arab world is paying close attention and your main man puts out a farcical performance.

I didnt know what else to expect from Maia, he WAS swinging for the fences toward the last round, and he tried to execute what was widely considered the only possible way he had to win, until it got to desperation time...much better than Leites.

Anderson is a prick.

I was pissed off by 30 seconds into the first round,

going down on one knee? what the fuck is all that about, if Goldberg ever calls him respectful again i will do a fucking nut because that is the OPPOSITE of respect, fuck bowing 100 times before and after a fight.....actual respect is important.

Anderson was just playing the clown for the first 2 rounds....which makes me compare to other p4p contenders....

GSP and Fedor go out and try to beat their opponent, Fedor in particular, he tries to knock a guy out or submit him....and will not let up for a second until he gets the victory.

same with GSP, apart from not being as good at finishing of course. Rolling Eyes

onto the co main event.

it was a close fight i suppose, Edgar's performance reminded me alot of Urijah Faber.

its annoying to see a guy walk away with the belt without ever trying to finish the opponent....

he never had BJ in the slightest amount of trouble whatsoever (nor did he try to finish him) and now he is the champion.

...its frustrating.

i wasnt scoring round by round...because i didnt expect it to go that far...but by the end i thought BJ had done enough.

i thought he won at least 3 or 4 rounds, though they were all close. he definatley won the first 2.

Congrats to Matt "Manhoef of welterweight" Hughes.

Matt "Hands of stone" Hughes excecuted the perfect gameplan AND got the finish.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 am

ill agree BJ looked off.

very "off".

everyone assumed he went through the same grueling camp as he did for the last fight, but it didnt show if he did.

he looked chubby, much chubbier than his last fight.

props to edgar for going beyond everyones expectations but i still think he lost.
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:03 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:LONG READ

onto the co main event.

it was a close fight i suppose, Edgar's performance reminded me alot of Urijah Faber.
    its annoying to see a guy walk away with the belt without ever trying to finish the opponent....
    he never had BJ in the slightest amount of trouble whatsoever (nor did he try to finish him) and now he is the champion.

...its frustrating.

i wasnt scoring round by round...because i didnt expect it to go that far...but by the end i thought BJ had done enough.
    i thought he won at least 3 or 4 rounds, though they were all close. he definatley won the first 2.

BJ hit some better shots in earlier rounds, but he was outworked in the other 3. Edgar won it convincingly in my book, just not 50-45 as one judge put it. Still don't understand that.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 am

BJ landed harder shots in my opinion, though maybe not as many.

like i said i wasnt thinking about round by round, but at the end i just thought BJ had won based on the whole fight.

out of interest:

Sherdog:
    Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Edgar (49-47 Penn)
    Greg Savage scores the round 10-9 Edgar (48-47 Penn)
    Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Edgar (49-46 Penn)

MMAWeekly.com scores the round 10-9 for Edgar, the fight 48-48 for a draw.

Bloodyelbow - 48-47 Penn

MMAjunkie - 48-47 Edgar

MMA Mania - 48-47 Penn

MMAforreal - Matt Bishop scores the round 10-9 Edgar (48-47 Edgar)

Neil Wagner scores the round 10-9 Penn (50-45 Penn)

Forrest Lynn scores the round 10-9 Penn (50-45 Penn)

Looks like the majority think BJ won a close decision. I also had it 48-47 Penn.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 am

i will say one thing....

i can finally understand where the Machida fans were coming from...

Rogan literally ignored all but one of the punches BJ landed in the last rounds, and pointed out everything Frank did.

even in the replay he was like "Edgar with the left kick then ducks the left hand"

and what actually happened was Edgar threw a left kick...but BJ countered with a solid body punch (Rogan always ignores these i have noticed) and the left hook hits him on the side of the head ala Belfort/Franklin.

just an example i remember.

anyway i am not getting all worked up about it because i have seen worse calls. Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:05 am

Dana on Anderson:

"To end it the way that we did was an embarrasment for me, the ufc, the fertittas, the ufc"

"I will, I dont know how yet, but I will make this up to the fans"

"iF YOU'RE that talented, be mike tyson. go in there and finish"

"this one took the cake" - when asked if this was more embarrassing than 97

" I don't want to see GSP vs. Silva after tonight. Silva might be the first champion fighting on a prelim. I don't want to see that sh*t"

" I wouldnt come here if I was (anderson)"

"For something like this happen, I honestly ... I apologize and I'm embarrassed"

Dana says the Vitor fight would have been more challenging. Thinks Maia might have broken his nose.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 am

Speaking to MMAJunkie.com, Sonnen said:

“I wasn’t surprised. It is par for the course. I don’t find it unsportsmanlike, because I don’t know why he’s doing it. He could well be doing one of those antics to try to get his opponent to engage. But I have a hard time blaming him for that.”

“I [saw] those antics against Forrest (Griffin); Forrest got baited into it and got knocked out for his efforts, so I don’t blame [Silva] for doing that stuff, and I don’t consider it unsportsmanlike because I don’t know what’s in his heart. Meaning to be a jerk, well, that’s unsportsmanlike. When he doesn’t mean to be a jerk, it’s kind of hard to pin that on him.”

“I’ll watch the fight, but Silva’s been in my crosshairs anyway, whether it’s beating him for the belt or to win the belt and go beat him up after that. He’s getting beaten up in 2010 by Chael Sonnen. That’s been the story from the jump. There’s people out there that need (to be) beaten up – he’s one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up.”

“[Silva] is a dirtbag anyway, whether he went out there and shook hands and was gracious or he didn’t. Who cares? I don’t know why sportsmanship needs to be involved, anyways. It’s a fight – go do whatever you want. So, yes, I will do whatever I want. And when my music hits those speakers, I will make that walk and answer for my words.”
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:23 am

"BJ landed harder shots in my opinion, though maybe not as many.

like i said i wasnt thinking about round by round, but at the end i just thought BJ had won based on the whole fight"

Edgar definatly won atleast 3 rounds in my opinion, and he landed the harder shots, did you not see BJ's face between the rounds?? and at the end??

And if your looking at it from a total fight point of view and not round by round then Edgar wins that aswell as he did more damage.

This whole notion that you have have to decisively beat a champion to get the belt is nonsense, when you get in the cage and the ref picks up the belt, then you are no longer the champion, and you have to win it back, likewise to the challenger.

BJ lost the fight and lost his belt, Machida should have lost his belt also.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:28 am

Silva: basically, im not too sure what school demian came from. i sent a message because he disrespected morally by the things that he said

Anderson on what he considered disrespect next...

silva: im a black belt, and would never say the things that he said

AS: I came here to punish him.

AS: I don't feel like I owe anyone an apology right now. Sometime's fights turn out good, sometimes they turn out bad.

The bad thing is, is that the prick is going to get all the attention and headlines instead of the man of the night Frankie....
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:48 am

Do you think Dana is pissed???

Dana's Twitter:

@BB_Undead fuck u
    about 1 hour ago via web

@jmcc445 go fuck yourself scumbag
    about 1 hour ago via

@92Brougham I give a shit about the fans. I don't give a shit about u! Get off my twitter and never watch ufc again

about 2 hours ago via web @92Brougham go fuck yourself
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:53 am

yeah the twitter WUMs are out in force!!!

# @danawhite It's ok though, I'll still stream your event tonight so people can watch it on the internet. about 1 hour ago via web

* Retweet

#

@danawhite Think you need to quit worrying about us "pirates" out here and do something better to show your organization in a better light about 1 hour ago via web

* Retweet

#

@danawhite You are making your organization more like entertainment everyday...it's coming back now and will eventually sink your ship about 1 hour ago via web

* Retweet

#

@danawhite How does it feel that STRIKEFORCE is making a better impact in MMA now and they put on an amazing show...FREE about 1 hour ago via web

* Retweet

#

@danawhite The only reason I created this account today is to say, "Thank GOD I don't pay for your events!"

==================================================

# @danawhite Can't wait for next Sat to see some real fights on Strikeforce for Fuckin FREEEEEE! U should refund everyones money u CROOK! about 3 hours ago via web in reply to danawhite

* Retweet

#

@danawhite Anderson Silva the P4P best? LMAO Fedor would maul that pussssssy like a Russian Wolf on a brazilian kitten. about 3 hours ago via web in reply to danawhite

* Retweet

#

@danawhite BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ur fights sucked I want my fucking money back! about 3 hours ago via web in reply to danawhite
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:56 am

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:59 am

If people want to know whats been going on over in abu dhabi in past few hours.

Then have a look at Ariel's twitter. He's doing a great job.

http://twitter.com/ARIELHELWANI
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:26 am

After watching the youtube vid of the dana interview, I'm beginning to think Anderson might have fought his last fight in the UFC...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:31 am

Dana said Anderson still has a future at UFC in press conference, but i think you will see a drastic increase in level of his opponents.

The names Belfort,GSP,Shogun,Bones,Rampage,Mir spring to mind.

Dana threatened to put him on prelims though,lol
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:02 am

Evening.

Had to just drop by and post some thoughts.

1. Silva needs to be challenged. He clearly got bored of beating Maia up. Maia only tried to actually fight him in the last round. Silva went a bit far with the show boating in the early rounds but he was trying to draw Maia into a brawl. For the not very smart among you, when he was bowing in the early rounds he was putting his hands on the ground and trying to close the gap to draw Maia into throwing some shots. By putting his hands on the ground it meant he couldn't get kicked in the head.

Silva doesn't owe anyone an apology. Dana should shut up and stop crying. He needs to start thinking about the sport and stop thinking about lining his pockets. Anderson is the one that people go to see, not Dana. People want to see Silva KO people, then put him in with people who are going to engage him. The fight was over as a contest after 2 rounds. Silva decided not to risk getting hurt. He could have spent 5 rounds dryhumping someone, at least he gave some action. Dana can say what he wants about pre-lims and all that other bolox. He went into his trailer and he didn't raise his voice. Certainty. Silva is the one that makes Dana money, not the other way round. What's Dana going to do?? Cut him?? I'm sure he'll cry all the way to Strikeforce and into a megadeal with fights against Fedor, Overeem, Mousasi, Mo and a rematch with Hendo. Diaz is another possible opponent. Dana should shut the fuck up and go back to stroking Silva's ego.

Silva will KO Belfort and and no matter what weight he fights GSP at he's going to knock him out. I read a post on here the other day where someone said Anderson had a shit takedown defense. Complete shit. Anderson's takedown defense from a shot is top class. Hendo dragged him down and Hendo is on of the best best Greco guys in MMA. Lutter took him down when he was just back off surgery to both knees. His takedown defense is excellent and his hands are lightning. GSP is going to sleep. Also read somewhere that Thiago Alves hits harder than Silva. That's borderline retarded. Silva hits MUCH harder, and MUCH faster than Thiago. It's actually not borderline retarded. It's completely retarded. GSP might get him down but he's not going to dryhump him. And when trying to take him down he's going to get beat up. There's also the factor that GSP can't attempt takedowns if he's going backwards. Silva goes straight at him to knock him, GSP tries to change levels and directions at the same time, GOODNIGHT!

2. BJ Penn got ROBBED. He won the fight CLEARLY. He won each of the first 4 rounds. He landed all the big shots, and Edgar never even came close to doing anything. All Edgar did was move his head and slaps Penn. Daft to claim that because BJ had two little cuts that Edgar was landed the better shots. Penn was knocking Edgar about with hooks and uppercuts but it was less noticeable because Edgar was running and bouncing around so much. Disgraceful decision. BJ must take some of the blame though, he clearly didn't train properly. But he clearly won the fight. Edgar NEVER even tried to engage, never mind finish the fight. He even got a takedown and then jumped up and kept running. Was even more of a clearcut victory than Machida's over Shogun. Penn was robbed.

3. Renzo Gracie has no place in the UFC. He could outstruck by MATT HUGHES!!!! Matt Hughes finished him with standing punches, he's NEVER done that before. Renzo made Hughes look like Vera with those kicks. Glorified sparring match.

AFTER!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:06 pm