THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
rudeboyben84
efils_god
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
Mannpagejackson
2brutal
11 posters

edgar or maynard

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

edgar or maynard Empty edgar or maynard

Post  2brutal Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:20 pm

what do you think boys another one that will split the armbar i rekon i have no idea i am a swing voter with this one

i always back against frankie but he always wins ill prob go with him this time and that will no doubt mean he looses,,

who u got anfield not included lol!
    Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

edgar or maynard Empty Re: edgar or maynard

Post  Mannpagejackson Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Gone edgar split in predictions but im same as u, could of gone either way. Can not wait for this fight or this card. Looks awesome.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:08 am

I'm not feeling as confident as last time, but I'm going to stick with Maynard to win by UD. I think he gassed himself in the 1st round last time, we'll see a more conservative approach this time around.

Who ever wins is just holding the best for Bendo or El Nino anyway.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 am

Maynard UD.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:49 am

Maynard wins this with ease. Again. Best hope the judges actually watch the fight this time.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 am

I'm the same, i always back Edgar to lose (against Penn, etc) and he always proves me wrong. Thinking of picking him this time, which as you say means he'll surely lose this one....!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 am

Maynard KO this time, did anyone know how the judges scores the 1st round in the last fight?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 am

Got a feeling Edgar takes a convincing decision probably something like 49-46 Edgar made huge mistakes in their last meeting I don't see him doing that again.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 am

The 2 previous iv backed Maynard so it's only fair I back Edgar now, think Maynard has had his chance to put Frankie away and I see a cautious approach from Frankie and getting the decision.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Im shocked that Maynard isnt a favorite going in to this, they fought twice he has one clear cut win and the 2nd fight he only didnt win because of a terrible judges call...

Say what you want about the Edgar comeback in the fight but Most had MAynard winning arounds 1-3 and loosing rounds 2,4, and 5

If Maynard won the 1st even by a 10-7 he should have won, I think it should have been a 10-6. But Clearly the 2 Judges who scored it to Edgar scored it a 10-8 and at a 10-9.

I think most agreed at the time Edgar was lucky to get a draw. He should be 0-2 against Maynard and IMO after this weekend will be 0-3 against Maynard and moving to 145lbs.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:39 pm

I've backed against Edgar the last few times, I'll be doing so again (so that's Maynard fucked), I see Maynard taking it by early stoppage, hoping that he will not want to leave it in the hands of the judges this time round. There is the risk, however, that Maynard might want to be more conservative this time round though, and resort to his LaynPray tactics.......I hope not.

Really looking forward to this card though, looks absolutely stacked.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm at a complete loss on who's going to win this one,one side of me thinks,Grey won once and was close to destroying Frankie in one rd the last time they fought,but then Frankie has improved a lot since they first fought and even though he lost the first rd big last time,he still managed to win 3 out of the 5 rd.

I think I'm slightly favouring the faster fighter with the better cardio for a 5 rd fight as I don't think Maynard will stop Frankie.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I'm at a complete loss on who's going to win this one,one side of me thinks,Grey won once and was close to destroying Frankie in one rd the last time they fought,but then Frankie has improved a lot since they first fought and even though he lost the first rd big last time,he still managed to win 3 out of the 5 rd.

I think I'm slightly favouring the faster fighter with the better cardio for a 5 rd fight as I don't think Maynard will stop Frankie.

Even if Frankie did win 3 out of 5, which I don't agree he did, the first round should have been a 10-7 and Maynard should have gotten the decision.

I expect Maynard to fight more conservatively this time, if he knocks Edgar down he'll avoid overdoing it and then gifted Frankie rounds by trying to recover. Maynard to knock Edgar down, take him down and grind him down and win a one sided decision for me.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I can quite easily see that happening as well,like I say,I'm still really undecided on this one.

There's no doubt that Gray has the tools,size and power to win this fight,it's just he needs to take control of this fight early,if not I can see Frankie just buzzing around,frustrating and tiring out Gray and more importantly winning rds.

That's why I'm not sure the conservative approach would be the best thing for Gray to do against Frankie,that could just play more in Frankies favour,where he'll just use his speed to get in and out.

I think Gray's still got to be the aggressor by throwing big punches and pushing a descent pace early,but he needs to use that pressure to bring Frankie into his comfort zone,get him down,hold him and rough him up on the ground,not to chase him around trying to knock his head off.

Gray has to fight more intelligently this time,drop the idea that he has become an overnight dangerous striker and not try and force a finish,use what has got him this far,his wrestling and listen to his corner.
    Randy was screaming at him to stick to the gameplan last fight,but it just went in one ear and out the other.

shit I think I just swayed towards Gray again typing this
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm

To be fair, this is really just a number 1 contenders fight to see who gets beaten up by Gilbert when he moves over. Dana says he wants Gilbert's next fight to be in the UFC. I imagine he'll be walking straight into a title shot. Diaz and Reem were both given immediate title shots(Diaz fucked his up and Reem turned his down but still) so I reckon it'll be the same for Gilbert.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 pm

I reckon Maynard on the front foot too. I reckon he will try his Wrestling a bit more but I really really doubt he is going to be happy holding out for a decision (or risking it after that last one!)

The 1st round was more or less the most dominant round ive ever seen, if 10-6 IS part of MMA scoring that was a 10-6 round, at the very least id score it 10-7 like Anfield says. I really want to see the scorecards for the 1st one if someone can get them. Perhaps someone had Maynards other round a Draw, because I think there was a round that could have gone either way...

Anyway yeah Melendez looks handier with his fists than Maynard and packs more power than Edgar, he is a happy mix between the two and Id back him to win too. Id also throw Alvarez name in for guys id back against Maynard or Edgar, look at the damage he dished out to Huerta compared to Maynard I honestly think he will end up in UFC in a couple of years.

I hope Gil gets pulled from SF too and into a title shot, I cant think of a figher in the world who diserves a crack at the title, but Im wondering if he would take a SF title defence as a tune up? Risky one I suppose!!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Yeah I can't wait until Melendez comes across to the UFC and I hope he gets the winner of this match.

I think either of Gray or Frankie vs Melendez would be a great fight.

Alverez has got to start thinking about coming over as well,there is absolutely nothing for him outside the UFC,I mean Micheal Chandler is the most worthy opponent they can find him for his next fight Rolling Eyes who's next for him,Kurt Pellagrino,Nazare,Khedir?

Then there's Aoki,it would be great if they could get him signed up for the Japan event.

Melendez,Alverez and Aoki added to the current rosta of UFC LW's would be fantastic.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Frankie Edgar Focused on Gray Maynard, but Could Dual Championships Be in Future?

It's been over a year since UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar first began thinking about Gray Maynard. It was in September of 2010 when Edgar first got the call about defending his belt against Maynard. Since then, the two went through a five-round classic that ended in a draw, an announced rematch, injuries, a cancellation, and finally, preparation for this Saturday's UFC 136.

So finally, all systems are go to put the final chapter of the trilogy in motion and in the past, at which case, win or lose, both men can go on to something -- and someone -- else.

Mentally exhausted from the constant thoughts of the same threat, it's a moment Edgar is awaiting.

"It sucks, but right now is not the time to lose focus," Edgar said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I still got a couple more days to think about him, and then we could put him in the rear view."

Maynard has been the thorn in Edgar's side for the two worst moments of his career. In April 2008, "the Bully" bullied Edgar with a series of takedowns en route to a decision win. It remains the only loss in the champion's career. And more recently at UFC 125, Maynard nearly knocked Edgar out in the opening moments of the first round before Edgar bravely came back to salvage a draw.

In Edgar's mind, surviving Maynard's hail of strikes has only served to grow his belief in himself and ability to withstand adversity. And his conditioning and performance as the fight went on convinced him he can tighten up a few things and walk away with gold still around his waist.

"I'm winning, man," he said. "I'm very confident, especially after that last fight. I think my confidence keeps building from fight to fight. Obviously from BJ [Penn] to the next BJ fight. With Gray I know I had a pretty bad first round, but showing what I showed -- which I didn't realize right away until I went home and saw it -- in character, it gave me a lot of confidence."

Edgar candidly acknowledged that Maynard has advantages in size, power and wrestling, but believes he's got the edge in speed, technical striking and jiu-jitsu. He added that he believes his biggest and most important edge comes in his seamless transitions from striking to wrestling to the ground game.

After his previous troubles with Maynard, he'd like to end the series decisively and enter the next phase of his career by putting the challenger away.

"That's my goal," he said. "I know I get a lot of flack for not [finishing]. I think it has to do with sometimes I am the smaller guy. But I always go into fights looking for it. If I could stun a guy, I'm going to try and finish him. And if I can stun him and get him on the ground, I'm going to try and finish him there."

As usual, Edgar will be at a size disadvantage in this one. Less than a week out from the fight, he currently weighs 160 pounds, the fighting weight of many featherweights.

Before he won the belt, he was constantly asked about moving down a division and competing with fighters that were more his size. Edgar always shrugged off the suggestion, pointing out his success as a lightweight. But interestingly, he didn't dismiss the possibility of trying to simultaneously hold the lightweight belt and moving to 145 to challenge for that title as well.

"That's something that a lot of my teammates talk about and stuff, and my coaches," he said. "Things got to work out the right way, but I think it's definitely an interesting possibility, and an intriguing one."

Edgar cautioned that though it could possibly happen, it's not quite as easy a move as some have suggested.

"It's nice to have that ace in my pocket to be able to go down there and possibly fight for the belt in another weight class," he said. "But a lot of people think you lose weight, you automatically win. You're going to be the bigger guy, but there's also ... I haven't cut weight in six years, the guys are going to be quicker. So there's a lot of other factors that play into it."

Another possibility is facing Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez, who UFC president Dana White said over the weekend is soon to be on his way to the organization. Melendez has frequently spoken about facing Edgar and unifying the belts, and perhaps that is an option, a possibility which Edgar accepted, saying, "it's the competitive nature. He wants to fight the best and to be considered the best."

For now, he has a big enough challenge in front of him. Edgar said his creaky back is feeling fine after a pair of epidural shots, and that he would have an MRI after the fight to reevaluate his situation.

So the future is full of potential plans and possibilities. It's about getting healthy, dual championships and unifying belts. But first, he must conquer an opponent he has yet to conquer in two tries.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/10/03/frankie-edgar-focused-on-gray-maynard-but-could-dual-championsh/
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:00 am

Whatever chance Maynard might have against Gilbert, I don't think Edgar has any. Gilbert is a better striker with much more power, a better wrestler and he's got a very good ground game from the top. He's also got the most vicious GnP I've ever seen at 155. And he's much bigger and much stronger than Frankie.

With that said, I don't think anyone is even close to Gilbert at 155 now. The guys a monster, and he seems to be enjoying being able to use elbows to the head when on the ground. I think he walks through the UFC's 155 division. I think Ben Henderson's the best LW in the UFC right now, if Melendez stays in Strikeforce then the next title shot goes to Hendo or Guida. I think Hendo beats Guida pretty comprehensively and I think he beats Maynard or Edgar. Hendo vs Gilbert is the best fight the UFC can make at 155 for me and as much as I like Hendo, I'd back Gilbert to beat him every time.

Gilbert vs Alvarez is the fight I most want to see though.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:09 pm

I reckon Guillard will be in the mix with the top guys soon, theres only 1 hole in his game and its his Sub defence.

He Outstruck Siver and Stevens who are two of the top Strikers in the Mix and his Wrestling is great. Anyone who doesnt have the BJJ to Sub him in an real danger and I reckon he will be working non stop to fix the one clear hole in his game.

I reckon because the top 4 are mainly Wrestling/Boxing he would have a good chance against any of them. He is going to be as fast as Edgar and as Strong as Maynard. I reckon after if he beats Lauzon he puts himself the frontrunner in UFC after the Bendo/Guida winner.

But if Melendez comes over before the end of the year I guess he will need 1 more win after Lauzon...

What you all think of his chances?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:54 pm

I think Guillard should get lined up with Jim Miller if he beats Lauzon. He's impressed in his last run of fights but he needs to step up the competition.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I think Guillard should get lined up with Jim Miller if he beats Lauzon. He's impressed in his last run of fights but he needs to step up the competition.

Yeah I like that Idea mate, Miller will test if his Sub defence is up to scrath or not. In a way Lauzon will to but he is the type of fighter who Guillard can totall overpower where as Miller has a bit of strength behind him.

Maby he will fight the winner of Bendo vs Guida if the Miller fight doesnt pan out, might not test his BJJ defence but something about Bendo vs Guillard makes me think it would be a classic, but I think Bendo probabally beats Guida because Guida cant Wrestlefuck him and will get outstruck.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I think Guillard should get lined up with Jim Miller if he beats Lauzon. He's impressed in his last run of fights but he needs to step up the competition.

100% agree on Melvin he has been fighting good fighters but nothing Top 10 I think Miller would be a great fight or the winner of Guida vs Henderson.....Hell maybe even the loser of that fight

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm