THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
7 posters

Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around?

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around? Empty Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around?

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around? Ept_sports_mma_experts-29173328-1269770791

We often hear about the brotherhood, respect and sportsmanship exhibited in mixed martial arts. So what happened with Rousimar Palhares on Saturday? The Brazilian caught Tomasz Drwal in a vicious hook and wouldn't let go even when the referee stepped in to save Drwal. Another second or two, and Palhares finally released the hold. He jumped up to celebrate and eventually leapt to the top of the cage. Meanwhile, Drwal was in severe pain on the ground. Unlike many commissions around the country, New Jersey acted swiftly and handed Palhares a 90-day suspension.

“When a referee’s in there pulling three times and the other fighter’s tapping… I think everybody knows, regardless of language issues or anything, at that point the referee’s trying to stop the fight,” the New Jersey Athletic Control Board's Nick Lembo told Sherdog.com.

"A referee should not have to use that much force to release a heel (hook)," Lembo wrote.

The Palhares camp didn't exactly beg for mercy.

"When Rousimar catches a position, he wants to make sure he holds on to it, that’s the main thing," said Palhares manager Alex Davis. "It was the very first minute of the fight, that’s when the adrenaline’s pumping and you know what, a fighter isn’t really all there. The adrenaline is not making him think right. He’s closing his eyes and he wants to finish."

The New Jersey Athletic Control Board reviewed past incidents against Flavio Luiz Moura (4:35 mark)and Helio Dipp (2:00 mark).

I can't seem to post 2 videos in one Article so here's the link to the Dipp fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOoiobUwnTw&feature=player_embedded

Davis said those fights were completely different scenarios. They look very similar to us. If those fights had been with the UFC, the guy would have a terrible reputation and may have gotten his walking papers on Saturday night. It's clear that he keeps the submissions on way too long. What's the intent, other than to inflict serious damage?

Davis came up with the weak excuse that it's difficult for non-fighters to understand what happens in a fighter's mind.

"It’s easy to say that when you’ve never grappled. It’s one thing to look at a fight from the outside and it’s another thing to be in there," said Davis. "I know that Rousimar didn’t have any bad intentions."

The suspension isn't much of a penalty because it's unlikely that Palhares was going to be scheduled again in the next three months unless he was an injury fill-in. That said, something had to be done. In the past, Renato "Babalu" Sobral was sent packing by the UFC for holding a choke too long on David Heath. That said, Babalu admitted after the fight that he did it on purpose plus he was on the downside of his career. With Palhares, opponent's beware, the guy doesn't appear to be learning his lesson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around? Empty Re: Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around?

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 pm

I dont know about Babalu being on the downside of his career, I think he would be holding his own against any of the lower half of the top 10 UFC Lhw's if he was there now. But Fireing him was understandable.

Palhares said he didnt mean to hold the Sub on too long, Maby a second or 2 but when the Adrenaline is pumping its excusable. The Suspension is fair... Maby even a longer one but it would be crazy to Fire Palhares, I wouldnt be suprised to see him as a title contender in a few fights.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around? Empty Re: Palhares gets 90-day penalty: Should the UFC keep him around?

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 pm

At the time Babalu was because he was coming off a loss to Jason Lambert!

Still, it would be incredibly stupid to fire Palahares, the guy is extremly talented and could be a legit threat to Silva in a few fights. I think he is a better prospect than Maia because he has better wrestling. Unfortunatley the leg lock is a very painful and damaging move and hurts almost instanstly so Palahares really couldn't afford to get carried away but he did. I think something like a 120 day suspension would have been fair, i really think it was adrelanine rather than malice. Its quite unproffesional from the Athletic to commision to try and get him fired, Dana might do it to avoid bad publicity in the reigon which would be a real shame.

I must say though, I hope no one ever pisses Palahares off before a fight otherwise they could lose a leg.

This was nothing like Babalu's, that was extremly dangerous. Making a guy pass out after the fight, after loosing that much blood is dangerous, incredibly stupid and simply inexcusible.

BJ held his RnC on Pulver after he tapped and the ref came to seperate them.

Rampage's assult after Wandy was also worse in my opinion, it was a full on assult, make no mistake about it. The ref was trying to hold him back and he threw about 3 shots after the finish.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Yeah Rampage hitting Wanderlei when he was down was straight up Dirty... People see Wanderlei as this Violent Animal and Ramapge as this loveable Joker (or they did before TUF!) You didnt see Wanderlei continue to stomp his head in after the fight... Rampage is a dirtrat for doing that, Id love Wandy to rematch him and avenge that loss some day.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 pm

He doesn't really need to TBH, he destroyed him twice in his prime. That was one back for Rampage at a stage where he was a much better fighter and Wandy was probably in his worst period. Wandy is 2-1 and doesn't need tp deal with Rampage anymore, he should focus on MW.

I've heard that they have actually become friends recently, they have a lot of mutal respect. At UFC 110 Ramapge congratulated Wandy after he beat his boy Bisping.

Brazzilians either hate you or love you, I don't think there's any middle ground for them!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Was it really that bad I havent seen the footage?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 am

No it wasnt that bad at all, just watched it again and Palhares isnt lookng at him tapping when it happens, I honestly dont think he noticed him tapping 1st time.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 am

Palhares' reaction...
    I didn't feel that he was tapping. I felt that he was pushing my leg. And I held on until the referee stopped the fight because I didn't want to misunderstand. I didn't want to hurt him. I was very excited about the fight. I'm really sorry if I hurt him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 am

Fair play to Palhares I knew there wasnt bad intentions on that one. Ref should have been more decisive and on it quicker. Simple Mistake. but at the end of the day Fuck it 90 days is 3 months its not going to put his career on hold.

Also some website I was reading pointed out that Pelegrino tried to or did Spike his oppenents head/neck on the ground, which is clearly illegal in MMA. Its a seriously dangerous move. WWE banned Wrestlers doing Piledrivers because 2 mens weight coming down on your neck is career threatening, life threatening even.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm

I personally think it was a really shitty thing to do and it's a part of the sport that I think needs addressing,because there is no place for that kind of bad sportsmanship in any sport.

I definitely think it was done with intent to hurt and to disrespect his opponent and after watching replays,I still can't see it any other way but I wouldn't fire him for it,he should be warned,then if he continues to pull shit like that he should be out on his arse and fined heavily.

The ref was slow in this case as well so he has to except his fair share of blame also but at the end of the day the refs mistake was stupid,but it was an innocent one with no malice intended to the fighter.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 pm

this really really annoyed me, i cant believe ya all makin excuses for him, a lot of us on here have had a few fights, and if he had done that to you, you wouldnt be excusing it, bloke is a fuckin prick who thinks he is billy big shot by hurtin a fellow fighter in a time and place when it aint right, thats the sort of stunt that lets the 'human cockfighting' label stick more easily. there is absolutely no fuckin way that he didnt realise the bloke was tapping, as if someone tryin to push ya hand away would do it like that.

if the fucker had done that to me he better not be walkin down any dark alleys for the rest of his life

quicker someone teached him some humility the better
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 pm

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, he didnt do this against Linhares. And of one of the videos Payne posted, you have to understand the heat and rivalary between Chute box and Brazilian top team. It doesnt excuse him though. If he does it again in UFC then that would be unacceptable.

Did anyone else break their shit laughing, when Rogan was counting how long the hold was applied during the slow motion camera? What an idiot.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:22 pm