THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
6 posters

Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August !

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August ! Empty Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August !

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 05, 2010 4:58 pm

After UFC 116 opponent Alessio Sakara was forced out of their matchup because of the death of his father, Nate Marquardt (29-9-2 MMA, 8-3 UFC) has been moved to August's UFC 118 card and will fight Rousimar Palhares (11-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC).

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) verbal agreements are in place for the fight, though the bout could be shifted to UFC 117, which takes place earlier in the month.

Canadian MMA reporter Joe Ferraro first reported the possible bout on Tuesday.

Although the UFC has not officially announced the event, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at Boston's TD Garden with a headliner featuring a lightweight title-fight rematch between new champ Frankie Edgar and ex-title-holder B.J. Penn. UFC 117 is expected to take place Aug. 7 at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., with middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen.

Marquardt looks to rebound from a unanimous-decision loss to Sonnen, which came at UFC 109 in February. The loss, which propelled Sonnen to his title shot, snapped Marquardt's three-fight win streak (all of which came via knockout) and delivered a setback in his quest for a second title shot against current champ Silva.

The Team Jackson fighter now meets Palhares, who looks for his fourth consecutive victory in the UFC. During his recent streak, the Brazilian Top Team fighter earned a decision victory over Jeremy Horn and heel-hook submission wins over Lucio Linhares and Tomasz Drwal.

Palhares' only loss in the UFC came to Dan Henderson in 2008. He's 9-1 over his past 10 fights.

Great matchmaking here, this is definetly better than Sakara-Nate, i would give Palhares a chance here, Nate as weve seen doesnt have the best TD defense in the world and Palhares striking would have improved since the Hendo fight you would think.

I think this is a dangerous fight for Nate ranking wise but a great fight for us Cool

I wonder who Okami's next opponent will be, i think either Belfort or Munoz. Belfort is back training by the way and says his shoulder feels great on his twitter account. He's hoping for a return in September.

Your thoughts?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August ! Empty Re: Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August !

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Great matchmaking, I love Palhares and Nate they are 2 of my favorite Mw's for sure. Love both fighers they always come to fight and always entertain. Palhares is HUGELY underrated. I think he is more dangerous by far than Maia. Maby worse Bjj but he is much much more physical and better on the feet. He could well take Nate down like Sonnen did, wouldnt be shocked to see him win Via sub although Nate is one of the few Mw's who might be stronger than him and he might be able to follow Hendo's Sprawl 'N Brawl tactics to win.

Belfort vs Okami would be great to see for the 30 seconds it lasted. I think Okami has confidence in his standup now and if he cant get it to the ground before he gets clocked its lights out! Mw devision is really picking up.

Anderson could end up with Belfort and Palhares as 2 legit challengers to keep him busy.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August ! Empty Re: Nate Marquardt fighting Palhares in August !

Post  payneNglory1 Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Palhares vs Nate should be a great fight.
    Nate has a lot to prove after his last fight and I would personally love it if some how Nate managed to sub Palhares but knocking him out cold will be just as satisfying.

I think Munoz vs Okami would be a more entertaining fight than Okami vs Belfort.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Who for Belfort then? I wonder if he would take a fight at 205, Be cool to see him vs Nog if Nog didnt mind sitting on the sidelines for a couple of months.

I dont think there are too many fights for Belfot when he comes back becides Okami.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Maia?

I think we will get Maia/Munoz and Okami/Belfort. There is aslo Goran Reljic and CB dollaway in the mix aswell as the winner of Belcher/Cote this weekend. The MW division is pretty deep when you think about it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Here is Palhares fight with Hendo....

http://mmavideolinks.to/fighter-videos/80/2955-dan-henderson-vs-rousimar-palhares.html

Palhares an awesome chin people, he was able to take Hendo down in first round but just ran out of time to get the sub, he actually slammed Hendo in the 2nd affraid , and i dont know how he lost the heal hook looked like he was hindered by the cage.

Palhares could have won that i think. And he is even better now, Nate has his hands full.

Rogan said Palhares submits Nog and Filho in training? affraid affraid affraid
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Thats Crazy!! Id love to see him subbing Filho and Nog, there Videos of him tapping 2 opponents at once in Grappling. Im backing him to beat Nate. I love that Wheel Kick Palhares throws in that fight, Hendo had such a Sprawl as far as I remember, going to watch it again now.

Reljic has been matched up with Grove him his next fight so he is out. I can see them being matched up the way you said.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Palhaeres is a tough guy and a great fighter but I still favour my boy Nate over him. Nate still has better standup, technichally and he has more power. Nate's takedown defence isn't that bad, Palhares is nowhere near the level a wrestler as Chael Sonnen is. Nate is probably bigger, stronger and quicker. Palhares has some excellent BJJ but Nate I think has enough to defend most of it. Should be a great fight. Big fight for both guys.

Belfort can fight the winner of Miller vs Bisping. I hope its Bisping Twisted Evil

Whats CB Dollaway doing now? He can fight Munoz maybe.

Okami can fight the winner of Belcher vs Coté.

We still have Wandy and Sexyama as well facing off.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Looks like the MW division is shaping up nicely, we could have two or three legit contendors for Wankerson Silve.
    I think if he can get through the winners of Palhares/Nate and Wandy/Sexyama and Belfort if he ever gets fit then Wankerson could genuinely be hailed as P4P king especially if Fedor continues to fight lower ranked fighters and only once a year at best!!!!

I fancy Palhares to get past Nate and give push Anderson really far!

PS. I think given the choice of any fighter in the UFC, a Palhares heel hook would be my least favourite sub to receive No No No No No
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Palhares needs to make sure he doesnt become a one trick pony, an Armbar or a Guillotine from to time wouldnt hurt. Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu May 06, 2010 9:04 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Palhares needs to make sure he doesnt become a one trick pony, an Armbar or a Guillotine from to time wouldnt hurt. Laughing

Redmeanie would totally shrug off a Palhares armbar!!! Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 am