THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Once Mohawked Pete
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6

Poll

Who you got?

[ 2 ]
    Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 I_vote_lcap25%Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 I_vote_lcap75%Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 I_vote_rcap [75%] 

Total Votes: 8
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 Empty Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:18 am

I cant wait for this one, Im a big fan of both guy (Even after Lombards disapointing plodding showing against Boetsch)

At 5"8 and 5"9 these really are the 2 most heavily set 185ers out there, I can see the looser bulking down a bit and moving devisions because either man could make 170 id say.

I gotta back Lombard for this, if there is anyone with good enough Balance to keep that wee bulldog of a man dragging them to the ground its Lombard, equally as stocky and with his level of Judo I think he keeps this fight standing.

Palhares has come on a bit in his standing but he isnt a striker by any means. I reckon Lombard keeps this on the feet and KO's Palhares.

Who you all got?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6 Empty Re: Palhares vs Lombard for UFC on FX6

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Lombard for me as well, I just think that Lombard is less exposed, and hopefully, his lacklustre effort against Boetsch was down to the infamous UFC Adrenaline dump. I think that Lombard should have enough skill and power, to keep the fight stood up, and stop Palhares early.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Hope back to back losses wouldnt get Palhares cut or anything because im a massive fan of his but I think him beating Lombard is very unlikely.

Think he could make 170? He looks to be carrying more Muscle than any other 185er I can think of.

I cant really think of a worse fight for Palhares style wise. Lombard is the one guy I cant see Palhares grabbing and dragging the fight to the ground, that base and that Judo make him hard to pull into guard etc..

Palhares always seems to want to catch hold and drag his opponent to the ground in any way possibly even if he ends up on bottom, but I could see him ending up on the recieving end of some nasty GnP. Lombard has never been Subbed so this fight really suit him I reckon because he is in no danger of being outstruck IMO.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Hope back to back losses wouldnt get Palhares cut or anything because im a massive fan of his but I think him beating Lombard is very unlikely.

Think he could make 170? He looks to be carrying more Muscle than any other 185er I can think of.

I cant really think of a worse fight for Palhares style wise. Lombard is the one guy I cant see Palhares grabbing and dragging the fight to the ground, that base and that Judo make him hard to pull into guard etc..

Palhares always seems to want to catch hold and drag his opponent to the ground in any way possibly even if he ends up on bottom, but I could see him ending up on the recieving end of some nasty GnP. Lombard has never been Subbed so this fight really suit him I reckon because he is in no danger of being outstruck IMO.

I think that both of them, could and probably should cut to 170lbs. I think that the muscle mass of Lombard contributes hugely to his gassing, and I could see Palhares being a huge threat at 170. I don't disagree with your comments on Palhares pulling guard, but tbh, I think that Lombard would be happy to deck him, and then allow him back up. Don't think that there's any doubting, who wins a stand up fight between these two, and why risk going to the floor, Palhares is just too dangerous there.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Hope back to back losses wouldnt get Palhares cut or anything because im a massive fan of his but I think him beating Lombard is very unlikely.

I think that both of them, could and probably should cut to 170lbs. I think that the muscle mass of Lombard contributes hugely to his gassing, and I could see Palhares being a huge threat at 170. I don't disagree with your comments on Palhares pulling guard, but tbh, I think that Lombard would be happy to deck him, and then allow him back up. Don't think that there's any doubting, who wins a stand up fight between these two, and why risk going to the floor, Palhares is just too dangerous there.

Yeah 5"8-5"9 is probabally Fw-Lw height! I wonder what these guys are cutting from? I hope the winner gets Bisping/Stann winner... there really are some cracking figths shaping up in the devision.

Boetsch is supposed to be fighting Weidman. Imainge if Boetsch won, there wouldnt be any argueing he diserved a shot after beating Lombard who could have walked into a title shot himself and Weidman who is the rightfull number 1 contender.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

If Boetsch beats Weidman, then he definitely would deserve a shot at the title, but, I think that Weidman will be too much for him.

Think that, should Lombard win, it's a decent enough match up between him and Bisping, surely Lombard would be able to test Bisping's chin, and Bisping (providing he can last the first round) would surely test Lombards stamina. Could be quite an enjoyable fight, that both would fancy (although no surprises for guessing who I think would win that one).
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm

How you see the main contenders fights going mate?

Bisping will beat Stann
    Weidman will beat Boetsch
    Lombard will beat Palhares
    Franklin will beat Cung Le

Think that really will sort the contenders, there are some real interesting matches because I totally forgot about Franklin, Franklin/Bisping is another fight id love to see.

Who you see winning that?

Ive a feeling Lombard will return to form but he should rematch Boetsch, avenging your "losses" is important I reckon and it would clear the slate, I think Boetsch will take a few losses and end up a journeyman at 185 so the loss is one he should try and pull back.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:How you see the main contenders fights going mate?

Bisping will beat Stann
    Weidman will beat Boetsch
    Lombard will beat Palhares
    Franklin will beat Cung Le

Think that really will sort the contenders, there are some real interesting matches because I totally forgot about Franklin, Franklin/Bisping is another fight id love to see.

Who you see winning that?

Ive a feeling Lombard will return to form but he should rematch Boetsch, avenging your "losses" is important I reckon and it would clear the slate, I think Boetsch will take a few losses and end up a journeyman at 185 so the loss is one he should try and pull back.

For me,
    Stann stops Bisping (I know a lot will be picking Bisping for this, I just think the old chin issue will surface again)
    Weidman beats Boetsch
    Lombard beats Palhares
    And as much as I'd love to see Cung Le kick his way to victory, I cannot really see anything, other than an easy win for Franklin.

Not that keen on seeing Franklin vs Bisping, with the best will in the world, I'm not sure, how relevant Rich can be now. This would make his 4th fight in three years? And wins against Wandy and Chuck Liddel version 2010 don't inspire confidence. I say, hand the winner of Weidman/Boetsch, the next title shot, and give Lombard/Palhares the winner of Stann/Bisping. Do you see Rich being in the title picture, should he win against Le?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Unless Palhares approaches this fight in a very atypical manner he gets KO'd very quickly.

Sucks this fight was made. I don't want to see either fighter lose two in a row.

In regards to the MW title picture, I'm not even sure these guys are even competing to decide who fights Anderson now.

It is looking very likely his next fight will be against GSP (if he beats Condit) at a catchwight, and with his current fight schedule it would be 8-12 months after that until he fights at 185 again. If he ever does.

Boetsch/Weidman vs Bisping/Stann for the interim/vacated belt mid next year is possible.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:44 pm

I think Lombard should comfortably finish Palhares, Hector has point to prove and a stoppage over Palhares should erase some of the stench of the Boetsch fight.

Last edited by Cowboys From Hell on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Mryzyz is right I think the UFC should press Anderson as to wether he intends to defend the 185 delt, hearing Ed talk about him fighting Diaz etc.. makes me think he onlt wants superfights and not young superstars coming up like Weidman where he has a lot to loose and not much to gain. I reckon if he wants to fight GSP strip him of the title.

Pete I do think Rich is relevant, You only have to look at his fights with Wanderlei 2-0 against him where Bisping lost to him and is harping on about a title shot.

He also KO'd Matt Hamill who beat Bisping and Okami, who was a top contender prior to loosing to Boetsch (a win I dont think he could repeat)

Id rank Franklin over everyone but Weidman and Lombard if he gets his shit togeather.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks Palhares beats Lombard then.

If I recall correctly Shlemenko managed to sweep Lombard and nearly sink the Armbar early,Palhares would finish an opportunity like that.

Lombard is a good fighter,and has the tools and game to be a problem style for palhares by either bull rushing him or using his striking advantage to fight smart,but I'm still not sold on Lombard as the fighter a lot think he is.

I've watched the guy fight loads of times and apart from a few spectacular destruction of,well basically cans that shouldn't of even been fighting him in the first place,I can't say he has looked anything like that monster when he has made the step up in quality opponents,which to be fair hasn't been that much of a step up at times,well nothing like the challenges he'll have to face,now he's in the UFC's MW division.

But on the flip side,I think Palhares has the talent to be a title contender,but I really doubt his mental toughness when things don't go his way.
    If he can get over that,(which I have big doubts now,The guys a fooking looney toon)then I really do think he is a solid top 5 MW.

Against Nate and Belcher I don't think it was the actual punches that won the fights for them(I know that sounds a bit silly,he got stopped both times by strikes)I believe it was more down to frustration of things not working for Palhares and him not having the mental strength to keep working through it,he kind of crumbled and gave up in both fights.

I'm really looking forward to this fight though,I believe it'll be an eye opener into both fighters position in the division.

Also since I'm on my own here,who wants to bet there avatar on this?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 am

I'll pick Palhares over Lombard as well. I think he'll sub him early enough.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Mryzyz is right I think the UFC should press Anderson as to wether he intends to defend the 185 delt, hearing Ed talk about him fighting Diaz etc.. makes me think he onlt wants superfights and not young superstars coming up like Weidman where he has a lot to loose and not much to gain. I reckon if he wants to fight GSP strip him of the title.

Pete I do think Rich is relevant, You only have to look at his fights with Wanderlei 2-0 against him where Bisping lost to him and is harping on about a title shot.

He also KO'd Matt Hamill who beat Bisping and Okami, who was a top contender prior to loosing to Boetsch (a win I dont think he could repeat)

Id rank Franklin over everyone but Weidman and Lombard if he gets his shit togeather.

As much as I respect your opinion Ben, I don't really see either wins as being major, Wandy hasn't looked great since God knows when (3-7 since 2006). Bisping certainly wasn't in the picture, when he lost to him? With regards to Hamill, yes he was a decent MW, but that win was 2008. I'm not dissing how good Franklin was, but that's my point, he's been relatively inactive and you have to go back a fair way to find any major string of results (in fact 2008).
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:55 pm

If were talking Rich vs Bisping head to head you gotta take into account the opponents they have both fought

Hendo - SD loss for Rich, Brutal KO for Bisping.

Wanderlei - 2 wins for Rich, Loss for Bisping.
    The "shot" arguement doesnt really fly with me here because Bisping los to Wand inbetween Rich beating him so did a "shot figher beat Bisping?

Matt Hamill - KO win for Rich, Controversial SD win for Bisping

Riviera - Rich took 3 rounds, Bisping did it in 2 but not to forget how close to retirement he was when Bisping beat him.

Anyway in terms of fighting the same guys Rich leads 4-1. He is also a former champ at the weight.

I dont get how a fighter can be critiszied for having losses like Rich's. Granted Forrest isnt a great guy to have lost to but Hendo, Anderson X2, Belfort and Machida are his only career losses... You stick any other top ranked Mw in with the calibre of competition rich has faced and Id guarentee they come off with the more losses.

He has been inactive but I dont think that should put him that far down the contenders list, he is above Bisping in my book who thinks he is a fight away from a shot.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:If were talking Rich vs Bisping head to head you gotta take into account the opponents they have both fought

Hendo - SD loss for Rich, Brutal KO for Bisping.

Wanderlei - 2 wins for Rich, Loss for Bisping.
    The "shot" arguement doesnt really fly with me here because Bisping los to Wand inbetween Rich beating him so did a "shot figher beat Bisping?

Matt Hamill - KO win for Rich, Controversial SD win for Bisping

Riviera - Rich took 3 rounds, Bisping did it in 2 but not to forget how close to retirement he was when Bisping beat him.

Anyway in terms of fighting the same guys Rich leads 4-1. He is also a former champ at the weight.

I dont get how a fighter can be critiszied for having losses like Rich's. Granted Forrest isnt a great guy to have lost to but Hendo, Anderson X2, Belfort and Machida are his only career losses... You stick any other top ranked Mw in with the calibre of competition rich has faced and Id guarentee they come off with the more losses.

He has been inactive but I dont think that should put him that far down the contenders list, he is above Bisping in my book who thinks he is a fight away from a shot.

I agree in him being placed above Bisping, but, I don't particularly rate Bisping. And whilst, it can be argued that inactivity shouldn't necessarily move someone down the contenders list, the argument still remains, that he has not won a meaningfull fight in ages (and as much as we love Wandy on these pages, a win against him now, doesn't really elevate your status). His last title fight at MW, was in 2007, and okay, his only losses since then were against Hendo, Vitor and Griffin (the Hendo fight being particularly close), the argument still remains, that he has only beaten Wandy and Chuck since 2009. I would have no problems with him being awarded a title shot ahead of Bisping, but that's more down to my dislike of Bisping, I certainly don't see a fight between Rich and Anderson, coming out any other way, than another L to his name, and whilst the same can be said of Bisping/Boetsch etc, at least they have possibly a new challenge for Anderson.

All this said, I don't want it to come across as a disrespect for Rich, I think that he's been a great ambassador for the sport, I just think that a 3yr stretch that only has wins against Wandy and Chuck, is far from steller.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 pm

The way I look at it Pete is Rich is a Hall of Famer, an all time great up there with Wand/Chuck/Rampage/Shogun he for me is part of that Era that produced many all time greats and he is still winning.

I dont think wins in your own devision matter, Belfort has been given shots on wins in other devisions so the fact he hasnt had lots of wins at the 185lbs limit shouldnt put him at a disadvantage.

He is 2-1 in his last 3 outside Mw which is an achievment because he was fighting bigger men.

Someone like Stann/Bisping hasnt even a bit career win to brag about but he is seen to be higher in the pecking order.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Thinking about it Mw is looking a bit thin with Belfort and Sonnen moved up....

I wonder where a win over Cung leaves him. There really only is Bisping if he beats Stann because Weidman would be going for the title. The others would be coming off losses.

Suppose we gotta see what Anderson wants to do about this GSP fight.

Maby Munoz will be back and in the picture before long, know how long he is out?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 pm

There's rumours going round, that he could be out for a year, with a broken foot, although that would have to be one hell of a break.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 am

Just on Bisping-Rivera, let's not forget that Bisping should have been disqualified.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 pm