THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105! Empty Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105!

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:13 pm

**Copy and Pasted**

UFC middleweight ground wizard, Rousimar Palhares has revealed that the UFC have advised him to be ready for a return to the octagon in October or November after successfully recovering from a serious foot injury.

Speaking to GracieMag.com, Palhares said:

“To tell you the truth, I’m not sure I’ll be in the ADCC. The problem isn’t the injury, it’s that it may be a little close to my next UFC fight. The guys said I should fight in October. They told me that towards the end of October or beginning of November I’ll fight again. But I don’t know if they’ve confirmed an opponent for me yet.”

Palhares fractured and twisted his foot in a freak training accident preparing for a UFC 101 showdown with Alessio Sakara and “Toquinho” was pleased to reveal his progress.

“I’m going to the doctor Tuesday to be released fully. I’m already well, almost 100%. I did a treatment that made me much better, thank God, and the swelling in my foot went down a lot. I’m already doing physical conditioning work and training light in the gi and submission grappling, as well as some wrestling positions. Little by little I’m getting back into the swing of things.”

From the indication he has been given by those in power at the UFC, the talented grappler could either return at UFC 104 on October 24th in Los Angeles, California or UFC 105 in Manchester, England.
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105! Empty Re: Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105!

Post  Hank Scorpio Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Good, I like that lad, saw him in Dublin, did he break his hand in the first round of his fight in Dublin?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Palhares back at UFC 104 or 105! Empty .

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Good news im a big Palhares fan, His grappling is some of the best at Mw, His Wrestling slams coupled with his BJJ make him a dangerous opponent for anyone who doesnt have a fantastic sprawl or a great groundgame.

He could be a possible opponent for Wandy or Bisping perhaps? UFC 104 card is complete so Id expect him to return in England at UFC 105... Seeing as Bisping and Wandy are both rumoured for the card we could end up seeing one of those fights. Mw is getting to be a really exciting devision, I wouldnt mind seeing him fight Akiyama or Belcher either as Both of them will be ready to go around 105...
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Don't think he would be a good match for The Cont with the level of his ground game, Palhares is focking awesome at JJ
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah I think he did injure a hand... I was at that event too, those suplexes etc were great! He has been really entertaining in UFC. Even his loss to hendo was a great fight and one of Hendo's best performances to date.

I think he could end up fighting Maia down the line if he looses to Marquardt. There are some great BJJ guys at 185lbs, ID like to see who was better Maia, Palhares or Filho!
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Ops, I meant The Count, must have been a Freudian Slip Twisted Evil
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Ye, and if Hendo refused to go to ground against you, you must be a jj wizard, I still think Maia's the King of jj, that triangle v Sonnen(was it?) was a thing of beauty
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:31 pm

I think you ment to take the O out insted of the U!! Palhares is a nightmare figth for Bisping... Palhares is so stocky im sure he would score a takedown... Bisping is no Hendo in terms of Sprawl! But vs Wandy would be very interesting, I cant see that one happening because Wandy seems to already know his next opponent.

Maias armbar on him was amazing, His BJJ is so slick he really thinks two moves ahead of his opponent. I still see Nate beating him, Nate is a Monster at 185lbs and his striking is devistating now. I watched him smash Kampmann last nite, that was some beating! So to win Maia has to take down a 200lbs+ Marquardt whos wrestling isnt half bad!! His only chance is some sort of trip in close but I imagine Nate will controll this one. what u think?
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Ye, would have to say that Nate The Great is one of my favourite fighters, he has such a good all round game and really slapped Wilson Gouveia around in his last fight, I think he will be too strong for Maia but then again Maia could finish it anytime with his jj, I think Nate is a much stronger fighter since his last fight with Silva and if he beats Maia he should get a shot - still don't know if he has enough to beat the Spider though
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:30 am

would like to see him fight Cote or maybe the loser of Maia/Marquardt.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Cote is injured, he is out till 2010

Happy to hear that, I like him as well. Awesome on the ground, and has brilliant slams. His slams on Hendo and Horn were very fun to watch. It would b a very bad match up for Michael "The cunt Bitchping" Twisted Evil

As for Maia and Nate, I like Maia but I think Nate will be way too strong for him. He is enormous for a MW and very well rounded. He is good on the ground, a good wrestler and a very good striker, I think he will KO Maia.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:44 pm

the middleweight division seems to be ripe with bjj masters right now, in order probably

Maia
    Palhares
    Filho
    Leites
    Almeida

and some other very good grapplers aswell.

what the ufc division is lacking is some great strikers in that division to challenge anderson.
    he beat one of the best in Franklin but there has to be better strikers than fraknlin out there , Hendo, and Marquat are good but not great strikers. I would like to see Silva face someone like Belfort or Manhoef to reALLY test his striking.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:07 pm

I would like to see Silva face someone like Belfort or Manhoef to reALLY test his striking.

Belfort would be a very good test for Silva and his striking. Manhoef would not in a MMA match. Maybe in a boxing match but ManHoef is awful on the ground, worse than Kongo. As soon as that fight hit the ground, Manhoef would be tapping. Manhoef also is more of a big hitter, technichally Silva is far superior. Belfort vs Silva would be an excellent match though.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:19 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan - Belfort has always been my call to be the man to beat him, Id love that prediction to come true! Im sure he will be top of the list to face him if he beats Rich in impressive style. I say if he went in there and Blew Rich away with a 1st round KO he would fight Anderson next for sure. Dana wanted the match to happen even when Belfort wasnt in the UFC! I know there are a few Franklin fans on here but I think Belfort beating him down badly would be a great thing for MMA! Belfort has always had flairs or brilliance but never became one of the best. I think he still has a chance to be one of MMA's top guys.

Chesthair you could add Jacare to that list of top Mw BJJ'ers, two time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion and ADCC 77-87KG Division winner back in 2005 as well as runner up in the Openweight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 pm

I would want that to happen, but unfortunatley im a huge Franklin fan so in my head I see this as a Franklin win. However the good thing is, a loss for Belfort doesn't affect him too badly in the MW division, I think he would be 2 wins away from Silva. Belfort is one of the guys I also think could beat Silva, the other is Reljic. since im biased im going to say Nate Maurqurdt as well, those are the guys in the MW division who could beat Silva.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:32 am