THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

BJ GSP and SILVA

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

BJ GSP and SILVA Empty BJ GSP and SILVA

Post  kavik2 Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

All three fighters have been dominant in there weight divisions for a long time, and there title fights recently have been very 1 sided. anyone else feel that if they all moved up in weight after 112 it will freshen up 3 divisions, heavyweights are looking stacked for once, and there are some mouth watering prospects for future fights if there is a move for all 3.

A Silva

Lil nog
    Shogun
    Jones

GSP

Marquedt
    Sonnen
    Maia

BJ

Kos
    Hardy
    Fitch
    Alves
    Semtex
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJ GSP and SILVA Empty Re: BJ GSP and SILVA

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

Dont think Nate would fight GSP, likewise Anderson-Nog.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 am

U are probably right, and I wud expect Silva and GSP to win those anyway, would like to see GSP in with Sonnen as he wouldnt be able to take him down at will, Just cant see who they can fight next at the weights they are in, they are so dominant
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Lil Nog said he WOULD fight Anderson... Id love to see that.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Hard to get excited about any upcoming silva fight at middleweight, unless GSP moves up,but Silva vs Shogun, Nog or somewhere down the line Jones is far more interesting.

BJ penn vs Alves ??

Serioulsy if all 3 dont move, who can they fight??
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

I dont know how well any of them would do a weight class up...

GSP for Starters had a bit of trouble controlling Hardy, and even looked a bit smaller than Hardy and Alves... Probabally one of the bigger 170lbs fighters but at 185lbs his wrestling might not look so good against 220lbs fighers making a much bigger cut to make 185lbs. Nate wouldnt fight him but Id expect Belfort to Blow him away or Sonnen to outwrestle him.

BJ Penn would have limited success, Again he is undersized for the devision, Penn vs Rumble or Alves would be scary size differce. I think as with GSP he might struggle against the higher ranked or bigger guys in the devision although he doesnt realy on being able to pin his opponents so doesnt need size so much. I think GSP would be more successfull at 170lbs that GSP would at 185 for sure.

Anderson would be stepping into a more competitive devision, although in my eyes he still has to beat Sonnes and Belfort (who I think is the man to beat him) I think at 220lbs and being tall and rangey he is big enough to be a good Lhw... could he beat Shogun? Nog? Machida? I dont know but he would have a good chance....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Bones might beat Anderson at 205 be honest, Anderson has poor Takedown defence, and Bones is Much bigger... Again Belfort is the man to beat at 185 I think. Anderson has 2 more fights to clear out his devision....

BJ has no fights in his own devision (in the UFC anyway) If Gomi wins theres 1 more contender maby Maynard but neither are worldbeaters. A fight wetween the two would settle a legit number 1 contender to BJ

GSP has cleared out a really really stacked devision allready there are a few guys would could be legit in a couple of fights but I think there isnt much for him at 170 that he hasnt already dominated. P.Thiago is the only name that springs to mind.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:52 pm

GSP didnt seem to have that much trouble against Hardy, most fighters would have tapped. GSP says he is adding weight and is now walking around at 195? agreed atill smaller than most top middleweights, but he has speed, agility and technique, I wud see GSP beating most middleweights tbh.

And I think BJ would be a match for any welter not called GSP..

The most important aspect being they will be mouthwatering fights and not Exhibitions which has been the case for there last 3 or 4 fights.

Off topic, hardy needs to seriously consider training with a better standard of sparring partners and some wrestlers!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Well BJ is moving to 170lbs so we will see. He has always done well against Bigger guys, near Beat GSP 1st time around... gave MAchida a very close fight at Heavyweight and once demanded a fight with Arlovski!! Gotta love Penn for that! I hope he does well at 170lbs but weight cutting is getting out of hand in MMA, Alves vs Penn would be similar size difference to Lesnar vs Couture.

GSP at Mw would be the worst fit. Seriously Hardy was able to Stand up... Belfort would be too.. and Belfort is faster and much much more dangerous than Hardy on the feet. He would Turn GSP's lights out 1st shot he hit. As you say 195lbs isnt small but Part of GSP's game is being more Physical than anyone in his devision, that a big advantage to give up.

Hardy soaks up what he learns, Serra did him the world of good. I dont know much about English camps though I feel to further advance as a figher guys need to consider a major gym like Blackhouse/ATT somewhere like that... good call. Then Again doing what Serra did is a great Idea. Make him grapple with a Hw for 5 rounds and you will be prepared to grapple a Welterweight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Ok I know I am biased but I think GSP would do good at 185. He would be much healthier and fitter not having to cut so much weight. There are some guys who would give him problems but Belfort isn't really one of them. Belfort has never shown great takedown defence and his BJJ really isn't all that great, he is kinf of like Wandy in that aspect. Hardy trained with Eddie Bravo and Matt Serra before the fight, its not suprising to see him defend well off his back. Plus Belfort has still shown questionable conditioning, thats never going to change for him, not at this stage of his career. Obviously he will have a standup advantage but if GSP escapes two rounds it will be a rout. Belfort is no bigger, and certainly not stronger than Alves. His takedown defence is no better than Alves, Hughes, BJ, Mayhem, Fitch, Kos, Nate, Evans ect. I think matchup wise thats one of the best GSP can get. GSP wouldn't be much smaller than Belfort and I think he would be stronger, Belfort has one way to win and really it has to be in the first round round. Otherwise GSP is going to have a very simple night.

Maia can cause some problems, but I think GSP would just use his striking for this fight because Maia's standup is below par.

Sonnen would be the toughest on paper because he is a very large MW with near-olympic caliber wrestling. He will be hard to get down but his submission defence isn't great and niether is his striking. If GSP comes in with a right gameplan he will beat him fairly easy.

BJ at 170 would be intresting, he was successful there once before and now he is a much better fighter. BJ vs Alves would have an embarrasing size differnce but BJ's skills are second to none. If BJ was Silva's size, he would easily be the best fighter in the world.

Silva is also intresting, LHW is a lot more stacked and he starts from the begining. There is no one he can't beat in the division but I think Jones could beat him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:11 pm