THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
Albion_Oakley
Bulldog67
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Paolo_73
quicksuperlee
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
12 posters

T.Silva injured BEFORE UFC 108

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

T.Silva injured BEFORE UFC 108 Empty T.Silva injured BEFORE UFC 108

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 pm

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%20A%2000108.html

UFC light heavyweight, Thiago Silva reportedly suffered a back injury in the weeks leading up to his showdown with Rashad Evans at UFC 108 this past weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada, so bad that he considered pulling out.

Josh Gross revealed the following via his Twitter page earlier today:

“Remember that rumour about Thiago Silva’s ankle injury? Turns out it was his back, and he seriously considered removing himself from UFC 108.”

Silva certainly didn’t look his normal aggressive self during the fight and was repeatedly taken down in both the first a second rounds. Whether or not this affected the end result we will never know, but the UFC I’m sure are glad to have had his services on board for the injury stricken card.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sneaky Sneaky UFC! Laughing looks like that Rumour was true I heard they paid him to stay on the card when he said he was injured and had to pull out! Makes Evans' win a lot less impressive if he was fighting Hurt!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

T.Silva injured BEFORE UFC 108 Empty Re: T.Silva injured BEFORE UFC 108

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Like all the fighters and trainers keep saying "nobody goes into a MMA match injury free"

I don't think his injury could of been that serious,I didn't see him grimace because of his back at any time during them 3 rds,standing,stuffed up against the cage or on his back.

Evans fought a very smart Randy like fight in those first two rds and deserves full credit for that win.
    Some people hate that kind of style but it is a proven,effective and successful way of fighting in MMA.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 am

I think Silva messed up his cut and then wasted all his energy getting up after Evans took him down. That's why he was so tired in the 3rd.

But i wouldn't be surprised if he did have a back injury. They train hard at ATT and a lot of people tweak things during camps.
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 am

is it me or did T.Silva look fat?
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Well I bet he feels like a twat now that he has 2 losses instead of 1. If you're injured beyond a certain point, don't put your record at risk.

That kind of talk doesn't work for Tito, so it doesn't work for him either in my eyes. Maybe if he had some humility, but he doesn't.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Money talks, I hear UFC made it worth his while to risk fighting injured! Its very underhanded by UFC who wanted Evanas to win.

Id say the weightcut did drain him... I dont know about Fat, If I had his Body id be more than pleased with myself! Laughing But he is a very big 205er and has to cut a lot of weight as it is, IF he was doing it unjured it may have drained him more... Then again It would have been getting up over and over again from Evans TD's and the constant grappling Evans made him engage in.

Credit were credit is due to Evans, I like the guy after watching TUF and it is a good win over a top 10 guy but the question of wether he was paid to fight injured looks bad
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't think he looked fat in fact I thought he looked huge for a LHW bigger than before I'm going with the weight cut for the gassing my guess he cut at least 20lbs he looked huge !
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:49 pm

quicksuperlee wrote:is it me or did T.Silva look fat?

nowhere near as podgy as Yvel, but yeah, def carryin some excess timber
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Injuries dont make you dance around like a dick when you should be finishing someone you have rocked to the soles of their feet, sounds like an excuse to me.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm

He isn't that big for a LHW guys. He looked a little pudgy but not fat, he isn't one of the bigger LHWs. He only looked so big against Evans because Evans is a tiny LHW. He could easily cut to MW and not even be a huge MW. Guys like Nate, Belcher, Hendo, Okami, Sonnen are much bigger MW. Incredible to think he won TUF 2 at HW. At the same time, his toughest opponents were Jardine, Whitehead, Petrezeli and Brad Imes.

If you think Silva is a big LHW, compare him to Rampage, Griffin, Ortiz, Bader ect. I think Silva could but to MW as well, he would be a beast in that division.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:05 pm

I dont buy this excuse for a minute, i heard the rumours that he wanted to pull out also, and i wouldnt bet against UFC making it worth his while to continue to fight, but he chose to fight and he lost and thats the end of it.

Certainly gets no sympathy from me or everyone that comes out and says they were injured or sick for a fight, Why fight if your injured?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Silva looked massive his arms were huge, evans is a big LHW ad Silva made him look small, was really dissappointed with the fight, never seen someone throw a chance away like silva did...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Silva is one of the bigger Lhw, he is bigger than Marquardt etc.. he wouldnt make 185lbs, he would have to cut at the very least 40lbs and I not every fighter can cut crazy amounts of weight.

I dont write off the loss it was a loss and he puffed and couldnt finish. Fighters can never be 100% Chuteboxe guys were KOing each other in sparring all the time in the run up to fights and training camps are harsh. I do think he wanted to pull out and I do think he wasnt 100%, you have to give bim a break because he didnt fight at his best but its not like Nog vs Mir or anything and im glad Silva didnt make excuses after the fight or in the press.

Evans could make 185lbs for sure, but I think he likes fighting more at their natural weight, I think theres crazy amounts of weight cutting in MMA compared to Boxing. Fighters like Pacman are carrying waterweight at the weighins etc.. Bas Rutten said he likes to fight around his own weight and you feel fresh and more energetic without cutting a lot.

Look at these fighters that cant stand up from weight cutts a day before the fight! I think Evans is good were he is, he he can scoop up and dump big guys like Thiago Silva and can rallle off combos against slower moving targets and slip clumpsy punches from Liddell etc.. I think he is better off were he is because he is very physical.

I cant wait to see him vs Ramapge, Rampage is a dangerous fight for anyone on the feet but I think Evans is quick enough to outstrike him but theres always the threat of Ramapge landing a big shot and KOing him becuase Rampage can hit harder than Machida and he looked like he killed him, I suppose thats were being smaller is bad for him! What about Wrestling? Can Evans take down and controll Ramapge? I wonder if Ramapge will go back to the Wolfslair now he is a movie star!! I think a new camp would probabally help him (off Topic but I wonder what a better camp would do to Brock? I think Greg Jackson would do him a lot of good! or Imagine him going to Blackhouse!!)
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:25 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:I dont buy this excuse for a minute, i heard the rumours that he wanted to pull out also, and i wouldnt bet against UFC making it worth his while to continue to fight, but he chose to fight and he lost and thats the end of it.

Certainly gets no sympathy from me or everyone that comes out and says they were injured or sick for a fight, Why fight if your injured?

i think you answered your own question mate.

for a guy who had the upbringing like he did, i bet a cash insentive it well worth risking a loss.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 am

One thing worth noting is that Silva hadn't been to the 3rd round of a fight in 3 years and back then he wasn't fighting some1 like Rashad. Chute Boxe fighters always trained to fight one round. All out assault for a ten minute first round and then after that they tended to gas. Old habits die hard.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:14 pm

"evans is a big LHW"

Not at all, he is one of the smallest LHWs in MMA today. Hard to think of many smaller.

"Silva is one of the bigger Lhw, he is bigger than Marquardt etc.. he wouldnt make 185lbs, he would have to cut at the very least 40lbs and I not every fighter can cut crazy amounts of weight."

Is he really? He really doesn't look that big to me, he is certainly smaller than Ortiz, Griffin, Rampage, Bader and Mousasi. I think Coleman and possibly even Randy are bigger. I know what you mean about being a bad weight cutter, fair point but I really don't think he looks to big.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 am

Silva is a lot bigger than Mousasi.

Rampage, Forrest, Bader and Tito all cut 30lbs plus to make 205.

Coleman and Couture are basically career HW's.

Silva is def one of the biggest LHW's around.

Evans is tiny at LHW though. Bisping was bigger than him when they fought.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Mousasi is a large LHW, he has fought at HW before, very tall and didn't look too much smaller than Fedor standing next to him. He wasn't as "buff" but a lot taller.
    Sokudju is bigger than Silva as well, Vera might be bigger, Bonnar is definitley bigger, Liddell is probably bigger, Janitor is and maybe Lil Nog.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Soko is small at LHW other than his legs which are HUGE.

Mousasi is a natural MW. He's not bigger than Silva and while he was taller than Fedor, Fedor is much bigger.

When Mousasi has fought at HW i think he's weighed in about 210 which is him without cutting ANY weight.

Little Nog is the identical twin of Big Nog. So he's a big guy. Bout the same size as Silva, as is Cane. Liddell is smaller i'd say. Bonnar is actually a huge LHW. I hadn't thought of him. He's as big as Forrest if not slightly bigger.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I think Mousasi is about the same size as Shogun, definatly not what i would call the biggest LHW, and with abit of training could probably fight at 185, but i want too see them both stay at 205. Machida is not one of the biggest either, i know he fought and competed at HW before but in his last 2 fights he was 203 and 202 pounds i think.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Wow. Fedor owned Mousasi pretty badly. He has perfected using his judo/sambo for no-gi purposes such as mma.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm

And Mousasi has excellent Judo! So it's not like he was throwing a novice around!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Is Soko a small LHW? Not sure he looks huge, but at the same time he never cuts weight so that could be a possibility. He didn't look any smaller than Lil Nog or Cane though. Bonnar is one of the bigger LHWs, he is actually bigger than Griffin. Only Ortiz and Bader are bigger.

That was a nice vid there Anfield, a huge mismatch but thats just testement to what an excellent grappler Fedor is, just utter domination. Those kind of vids give you appreciaition of how great a fighter Fedor really is.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 pm

quick search revealed soko weighed in at 220 lbs for the Sapp fight.

so fairly big not huge though he definatley cuts weight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Ye I did think he was a pretty big LHW but cutting from 220 is nothing, 15 pounds. Anderson Silva cuts to 185 from about 220-225.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 am