THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
mikeyboybisping
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
Mryzyz
2brutal
12 posters

Tiago silva

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Tiago silva  Empty Tiago silva

Post  2brutal Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, if you were wondering how Thiago Silva failed his post-UFC 125 drug test, here it is: His urine samples are not consistent with that of human urine.

So, is Silva not human? Did he use animal urine? Is this a replay of the now infamous Whizzanator incident?

According to Josh Gross via his Twitter account, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer said that Silva did not test positive for masking agents in his urine, but that in fact a synthetic urine was used in place of his normal urine to fool the drug test.

NSAC officials lodged an official complaint about the test of Silva after his UFC 125 appearance.

Silva's "A" sample failed because it was inconsistent with normal human urine.

The official complaint states:

"The Urinalysis reflects a Complete-Invalid Result indicating that the specimen submitted by SILVA is inconsistent with human urine. The results of the Urinalysis are reflected in the Toxicology Report, attached hereto as Exhibit 1."

It also says:

"SILVA signed the Forensic Drug Testing Custody and Control Form, wherein he certified as follows: I certify that I provided my specimen to the collector; that I have not adulterated it in any manner; each specimen bottle used was sealed with a tamper-evident seal in my presence; and that the information and numbers provided on this form and on the label affixed to each specimen bottle is correct."

Seems a little lying went on with Silva about his test.

So, NSAC gave Silva a second chance and they tested his B sample, which also came up positive and was inconsistent with that of human urine.

Now Silva will have to wait for an April 7 hearing to determine the length of his suspension and the amount of his fine in accordance to NSAC rules.

Kizer will also make a request at the hearing that his unanimous decision victory over Brandon Vera at UFC 125 be overturned to a no contest.

Silva was suppose to face Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 130, but had to pull out due to this failed test.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Tiago silva  Empty Re: Tiago silva

Post  2brutal Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Made me chuckle wonder what animal he milked
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm

If it turns out Silva's not human will he be allowed back in the UFC?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

See you 12 months Mr.Silva.

Really surprised by this. ATT is a very clean camp.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Is it confirmed that he took steroids? I wonder if he just took something like weed or some painkillers or something like that. A real shame if he was roiding.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm

“We make decisions every day of our lives. Some are good, and some are bad. When you make a bad decision, you can either make the situation worse by trying to cover it up or lie about it, or just stick your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it even happened. Or you can own up to it with an honest explanation, accept the consequences of your actions, apologize to the people affected by it, learn from it and move on. I’m choosing the second option.”

“I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada (State) Athletic Commission. This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans.”

“I reinjured my back 45 days before the fight with Brandon Vera. After not fighting for a year, I made the decision to not pull out of the fight. I also decided that the only way I could continue with the fight was to take injections in my back and spine that contained substances prohibited by the Nevada (State) Athletic Commission. I also made the decision to use a product to hide the presence of these substances in a urine test.

“These decisions were mine and mine alone. I did not share this information with anyone prior to the fight for fear that I would not be allowed to fight. I obviously made a terrible decision. I have since learned that it may have even been possible to fight had I been open and honest and disclosed the injury and treatment prior to the fight. I also realize that not being allowed to fight as a result of the treatment would have been a better result than the mess into which I have now gotten myself.”

Silva will now be hauled in front of the commission in Nevada to find out his punishment which will likely be a one year suspension and a token fine. The more interesting action could come from the UFC who were seemingly ready to give the Brazilian a push by booking him in a high profile fight with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:03 pm

What an idiot, if your going to cheat an do an oil change before your test, atleast make sure u get human piss FFS. What did he do, get a jar and made his pet dog go for a piss??
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Silva is an idiot, enough said.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm

lol, remember when Randleman used a dead man's piss at PRIDE 32?
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Cheat.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm

he should appeal like everyone else does.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

mikeyboybisping wrote:Cheat.

Why don't you burn in the fiery depths of Mount Doom, and take your boyfriend with you!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Thiago's been handed a one year suspension and a $33,750 fine by the Nevada Commission.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm

It's a deserved punishment,but it's one that should hit him hard,unless he's been wise with his previous paychecks.

Another unpaid year out of the sport(I don't know what happened to his pay in the Vera fight,he was supposed to get 55K and a 55k win bonus,surely he at least lost his win bonus)and a 34K fine,that's probably about 15-20% of his total UFC earnings in the four years he's been with the company,I know he was only on about 30K a fight when he fought Machida.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Doubt UFC would ask Silva to give back the win bonus, he'll use that to pay the fine. The fight has been changed to a NC.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 pm

LAS VEGAS – UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) had his license revoked through Jan. 1, 2012, and was fined $33,750 following his admission to the Nevada State Athletic Commission that he knowingly used steroids and provided a synthetic urine sample in his pre-UFC 125 drug screen.

The result of his unanimous-decision win over Vera was also overturned to a "no contest."

Silva waived his right for an attorney and additional time to prepare a defense in favor of a speedy ruling at Thursday's NSAC monthly meeting, which took place at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

"I'm here just to tell the truth," Silva said.

In March, Silva was served with a formal NSAC complaint after two separate urinalysis samples revealed a substance that was "inconsistent with human urine," which indicated that he "submitted an adulterated and/or substituted specimen for testing for the urinalysis." Silva's first test was flagged, which prompted further testing by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The Brazilian was accompanied to Thursday's hearing by his manager and friend, Eddie Miranda, who also served as an interpreter. However, Silva answered the majority of the commission's questions in English.

Silva admitted to twice taking a prescription steroid, delivered by a doctor via epidural, during the training camp for his Jan. 1 bout with Vera at UFC 125, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Brazilian said he took the first dose 45 days prior to the bout and a second 30 days before the contest.

Silva admitted to the commission he knew the injections were in direct violation of NSAC regulations but said he felt compelled to cheat in order to support his family.

"I just want to apologize for what I did," Silva said following the conclusion of the prosecution's cut-and-dry presentation. "I did what I did because my back was very, very bad a couple months (before the fight). I had not fought for one year. I was completely broke. I have a family. People depend on my money. I was desperate to do something.

"I know what I did is wrong. Like I said, I'm so sorry. I had my reasons. People depend on my money, and I had to give them support."

Silva said the same back injury that forced him to withdraw from a planned UFC 117 fight with Tim Boetsch again became an issue while preparing for Vera, and he could not afford to withdraw from another fight. Citing the pain caused from three herniated discs, Silva said he turned to a doctor to administer the steroids and then provided a "fake" urine sample, which he said he purchased on the Internet from ClearTest.com approximately two weeks before the UFC 125 bout.

Silva testified that he simply turned his back to the NSAC inspector, opened a container of synthetic urine that he had kept hidden in his shorts and dumped the contents in the testing vial.

Silva, who defeated Vera via unanimous decision, was paid a $55,00 purse for the fight, as well as an additional $55,000 win bonus.

NSAC commissioners originally recommended a fine of one-third of Silva's "show" purse, as well as his entire win bonus, but citing the Brazilian's "candor and honesty" eventually settled on 25-percent of his purse ($13,750) and $20,000 of the win bonus for a total fine of $33,750.

Silva dodged a bit of a bullet with his suspension, as NSAC executive director Keith Kizer recommended the 12-month suspension begin with Thursday's hearing rather than the more traditional procedure of backdating the first day of the suspension to the date of the fight in question.

Kizer cited Silva's reluctance to fess up to the charges until his "B" sample returned with the same findings as the first test. However, the commissioners instead elected to reward Silva for his belated admissions and chose to stick with the traditional routine. Silva is eligible to reapply for a license on Jan. 2, 2012, and he will have to provide a drug-free (and authentic) urine sample.

Following the hearing, Silva declined to comment to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In addition to the ruling on Silva, the NSAC also admitted a need for increased attention to detail in their drug-screening procedures.

"I have to say I think as a commission we have to take responsibility for the way this process works," commissioner Francisco Aguilar stated at the conclusion of the hearing. "Had our inspectors been doing the job that they are hired to do and are expected to do by this commission, this would have never happened.

"I think we have to look at ourselves, and we have to look at the process, and we have to look at our inspectors to make sure we have the best inspectors in that room, who are willing to forego the social aspect of a fight and be there to do a job."

Silva's case is the first involving an MMA athlete using fake urine since late 2006, when Kevin Randleman attempted to conceal his use of prescription medication in a test administered after his submission loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at PRIDE 32. Randleman was fined $5,000 of his $40,000 purse and also had his license revoked. "The Monster" has yet to reapply.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23148/ufc-light-heavyweight-thiago-silva-fined-33750-license-revoked-12-months.mma

So the UFC still paid him in full for the Vera fight,I'm abit surprised by that,especially with them still honoring the win bonus.
    It sounds like he's really going to be struggling then,if the reason he did it in the 1st place was because he was broke.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 am

The UFC paid him before the news of the failed test came out.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:46 am