THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
Toquinho
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Hank Scorpio
rudeboyben84
Raiden
11 posters

Thiago Silva

Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Thiago Silva Empty Thiago Silva

Post  Raiden Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 pm

I was quite impressed with Thiago's Knockout victory over The Dean of Mean.

However I'm not convinced he's at the level of the very top Light Heavyweights

How do people rate him?

Who would you like to see him face next?
    Cane?
    Griffin?
    Someone else?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Thiago Silva Empty Re: Thiago Silva

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Posted on 606 but ill post it here too because I like this site better!!

Raiden Id agree he isnt right at the top mate but look who is Ranked over him, in UFC

Franklin
    Lil Nog
    Forrest
    Shogun
    Evans
    Rampage
    Machida

He got outclassed my Machida apparently his weight cut went horribly wrong and he was left drained for the fight... I give him the benefit of the doubt on that fight. Taking on Machida when your less than 100% and your going to look bad.

Jardine is a tough guy, he beat Liddell and Forrest and went the distance with Rampage, He also beat Houston who mauled Jardine and beat Tomasz Drwal that was a decent win... Irvin wasnt a bad one either so I think he is a good prospect..

He has KO Power, Good standup, Great GnP and Solid BJJ base to go with it. As for a next fight, I think they may match him up with a slightly lower ranked opponent next..

Matt Hamill, Luiz Cane (His and Thaigo dont get on apparentlky) Maby even Brandon Vera, Jon Jones or Ryan Bader? I think any of these guys would make a good opponents.

But Theres always Nog or Griffin who should be back in action by the end of the year... But Ive a feeling that he will be in against a lower ranked opponent next
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh who Id like to see him face next... Id like him to face Luiz Cane next, I think that would make for a very good fight, Id rather he didnt fight anyone ranked above him right now, Even though Forrest is chinny Id rather that he wasnt rushed to fight better guys just yet, he is only 26 and looks to be ever improving.

What about you? Cane or Griffin the two fights you would like to see him in? Maby the winner of Tito vs Coleman could be another option?
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:49 pm

I really like Thiago and don't think you can take the Machida fight into account as anyone who wades in against Lyoto is getting KTFO, I really wouldn't fancy say Rampage against LM. Thiago has savage KO power and seems to have a good bit of rage in his blood a la Wandi in Pride, I think Thiago will be a handfull for the likes of Franklin or Forrest. I like the matchups suggested above too with the likes of Cane, Vera or even Tito - don't see Coleman beating him if Tito's back is healed as he says...
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:54 pm

I think he is always going to be a bridesmaid never the bride if I'm honest he has great striking even better ground game but he has a poor chin and his style of MT is very generic and predictable compared to the Shogun's and Silva's of LHW.

BTW i had to go to 606 to find this forum, damn Internet browser.....
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:56 pm

BTW i had to go to 606 to find this forum, damn Internet browser.....

Bookmark it man..
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Thiago is only 26 though, His Muay Thai may not be too flashy but look at Wanderlei, His striking is technically poor at times, Sometimes Agression and KO Power will see you through most fights! Obviously not Machida but the likes of Forrest he may be able to just Overwhelm. Although he was been rocked a couple of times only 1 KO loss in all his fights isnt bad... When you think that him and all his opponents would be heavyweights in Boxing terms you can forgive a punch rocking any Lhw... Again I think people are far too quick to jump all over MMA fighers chins.

Its a reaally tough devision to be in, He may crack the top 5. Hank cool Avatar that fight was the one that made me a huge Nate fan, he went apeshit to finish that fight!! Tito should beat Coleman alright but id love to see MArk pull out the upset...

So who next? Most top guys are tied up... Forrest may take some time off... Maby Lil Nog? I think with Cane and him disliking each other means that would make for a good grudge match.
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks ben, huge fan of Nate The Great....I agree that Forrest will prob take some time off after his last fiasco of a fight(I could go into the octagon and take a whooping off ASilva for the same cash FG got Laughing)

Lil Nog sounds good, everyone loves a grudge match.....Tito Chuck 3 anyone, Hughes Trigg 3(for Dublin on Paddy's week next perhaps Twisted Evil )
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Thiago Silva Empty I like the idea of Thiago Silva VS Luiz Cane

Post  Raiden Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Cane popped into my head first for some reason aswel

not sure why-maybe because the both have that killer instinct look about them-they both look like they'd rip your head off and have plenty of skill to back that theory up

didnt know that Cane and Thiago Silva didnt get on - that makes me like this match up even more.

I like Silva as a fighter too. I agree about the Machida fight-I wouldnt hold a loss to The Dragon against anyone (even without but especially after trouble cutting weight) . I do sense that forever the bridesmade never the bride vibe from him, but maybe I could be wrong. I'l keep in my mind that after an impressive KO victory that I could get carried away.

One things for sure he has lethal ground and pound-I would not like to be looking up from the mat receiving them bombs

Thiago Silva V78iz5
    this may not be classified as Ground and pound i'm not sure

Thiago Silva 835dlsl
    this definatly is-ow ow ow ow
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Yeah Ruthless GnP he lands with some power and accuracy when striking a downed opponent, I do think he will be a big deal, Id back him to beat Cane, Cane hasnt impressed me as much, Im looking forward to his next fight because he is an entertaining figher and a really likeable guy... How did you get those Videos (I think they are called GIF's?)

I think Lil Nog will smash him if they meet though having better Striking and BJJ he would be a terrible match for Thaigo at this stage of his career. Apparently Cane has a problem with Thaigo and Wanderlei over something that happened in Brazil and said he would love to fight either of them!! Ive no Idea what the story is though,
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Thiago Silva Empty Lil Nog

Post  Raiden Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 pm

I must check out some of lil Nogs fights. Ive heard a lot of good things about him but I havent seen much of him at all. I'm quite new to the mma world but have become a huge fan.

I got the gifs from mma-core.com

there's a little box under the gif that says embed into forum

I used the url that says Forums 1
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:35 pm

i read somewhere that cane was training at ATT now, so i hope with thiago training there aswell that is doesnt rule out the potential matchup. Although putting one of them up against vera could be interesting, an aggressive striker against vera's technical muay thai
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Raiden you gotta check him out! He is a far better striker than his Brother and some say his BJJ is better... His is quicker and more athletic. He has a good chin (A very underrated chin I think) but no were near his twins as he suffered a bad KO loss to Soko.

Heres a few links to his fights... Tapping Hendo

http://www.mmalinker.com/fighter/Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira/MR/1/0/21/12754/i/Antonio_Rogerio_Nogueira_vs_Dan_Henderson.html

This fight was the Forrest vs Bonner of Pride, Just Epic. To date Lil Nog is the only man to Floor Shogun.. A must see fight for any MMA fan

http://www.mmalinker.com/fighter/Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira/MR/1/0/21/12306/i/Mauricio_Shogun_Rua_vs_Antonio_Rogerio_Nogueira.html

KO'in Matyushenko (Avengin one of his 3 career losses Previous bout was a UD loss back in 2002)

http://www.mmalinker.com/fighter/Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira/MR/1/0/21/12580/i/Vladimir_Matyushenko_vs_Antonio_Rogerio_Nogueira_2.html

There is a bit of Build up to this, its a 30mins Video and it goes the distance but here his 1st win over Overeem

http://www.mmalinker.com/fighter/Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira/MR/1/0/21/12674/i/Alistair_Overeem_vs_Antonio_Rogerio_Nogueira_1.html

Nog's 2nd fight with Overeem... Corner Stoppage win (Ive seen Overeems corner thrown in the Towel early twice I think)
    http://www.myvideofight.com/Pride/Alistair-Overeem-vs-Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira-II

His 1st Fight in Affliction against Edwin Dewees... ID watch this one, Its a short fight and some Nice Muay Thai and a great KO!

http://www.myvideofight.com/Other/Antonio-Rogerio-Nogueira-vs-Edwin-Dewees

ID also recomend watching him vs The Legendary "Gracie Hunter" Sakaraba who he beats, Cant find the fight in one link though, Its on MMAlinker.com in 3 parts but It was a huge win, Sakaraba beat all the gracies, Shamrock, Rampage etc..

He also holds 2 wins over Kazuhiro Nakamura (who has beatten, Cyborg Santos, Kevin Randleman, Igor Vovchanchyn and Stefan Leko) Not bad wins the 1st one was a good armbar.

Lil Nog Boxed at the Pan American games taking home Bronze and won Gold in Boxing at the South American Games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you havnt got this saved to your favorites on your computer you should have!!

Its every Event from Pride!! Really its the best Website ive ever seen, It will save you 100s of quid on DVD's if you want to see some MMA historic fights,

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/boxing-fighting/36406-all-pride-events-megavideo-links.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway hope that helps mate, He is one hell of a signing by UFC and I expect him to make a huge impact in UFC
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 am

Silva is good, Lil Nog would beat him at this stage but Silva is quite good. His ground game is very good, he uses it not to pull submissions but to mount you and KTFO of you. Id match him against Cane, ive also heard they don't like each other so game on Twisted Evil

Bader would mess them both up Very Happy
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:01 am

Nog would be a really bad match up for Bader I think but I'd imagine he would throw his size about well with Cane or Thiago better, Id actually like to see any mix of Bader,Bones,Cane,Thiago... some interesting matchups to be had between them
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:50 am

At this stage of his career Nog would be too much for Bader I think, although Bader has very good sub defense. I doubt he would fight Lil Nog anyway because he is really good freinds with his big bro. I think Bader would be too much for Silva, Silva's chin is ok but he has been rocked by heavy hitters like Machida, Drwazl and Mendes. Bader has more power than all three, he has that Shane Carwin/Brock Lesner ability to generate massive power from a small distance. He is massive for LHW, maybe the biggest in the division, I expec big things from him. His wrestling pedigree is outstanding, one of the best at LHW. Coleman and Randleman are probabrly better but I think he could take Rashad down because of his massive size advantage. Tito would also be up there but he has been takendown by smaller men than Bader. I really feel like he has a lot of potentiol, I expect him to easily beat Shaefer.
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Thiago Silva Empty Thiago Silva

Post  Raiden Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 pm

thanks for the links Ben will check'em out when I get home-unfortunately i cant watch vids at work
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:41 pm

No probs mate if you dont get watching them all I recomend watching shogun vs Nog anyway, Classic fight! I think the quality of video is better on the Pride links as well so if you see the fight there prob better to watch it that way... plus you get cool buildup + interviews etc..
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Lil Nog for his UFC debut would be a nice fight, Forrest, Cane, anyone really, Thiago always brings it.

Style wise Nog and Forrest dont have the heaviest of hands so they are winnable.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Nog at UFC 105... Im thinking Cane for him? There isnt anyone else that makes sence time wise... Is there?
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

Forrest Griffin for lil Nog,

Supsoedly back in training immediatly after being beaten by Silva. Cant remember if he has any medical suspensions from that site but i remember reading that he was back in training at Extreme Couture the next day
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:00 pm

True you can't really hold a loss against Machida against a fighter otherwise soon enough he will be the only decent LHW.

I don't think Silva is a top top LHW though but he will always put on a show and gives the fans a good fight.

Would love to see him in with Luis Cane or John Jones.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Additional Generic just out of interest Who you got over Thiago in the top 10? Jardine was top 10 for me and he beat him.
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:09 pm

I would put Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Franklin and Anderson Silva if he chooses to fight at LHW.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Oh not a top top Lhw I though I read top 10... No id agree with that 100% the guys that are better than him in the UFC are Machida, Rampage, Evans, Shogun, Forrest (despite that KO loss) Anderson (if he fights at Lhw like you say), Rich Franklin and Lil Nog... all are better than Thaigo Silva

Theres a lot of competition in the devision though if you look at Guys closeley ranked to him, theres Tito with a win, Luiz Cane, Jon Jones, Ryan Bader, Brandon Vera... all very dangerous fighers. Also Couture is expected to drop back down to 205lbs, Its a stacked devision so while not one of the top 5 or 6 he is doing very well to be were he is so young I think.

I wonder who Randy will target for his 205 return? Its supposed to be in early 2010... Id love it to be Little Nog.. that would be such a cool matchup seeing as he just fought his Brother.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:17 am