THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
rudeboyben84
pinsman
p4pnumber_1
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
9 posters

Take a bow Joe Silva

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Take a bow Joe Silva Empty Take a bow Joe Silva

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Over the last fews day, Joe Silva has arguably been as busy as he has ever been, and has made a lot of great matches up for the cards towards the end of the year, the man deserves a medal. Not including the fights that were already made, the fights made this week are:

UFC Fight Night 25
    Evan Dunham VS Shamar Bailey
    Mackens Semerzier VS Mike Lullo

UFC 136
    Frankie Edgar VS Gray Maynard
    Jose Aldo VS Kenny Florian
    Joe Lauzon VS Melvin Gulliard
    Demaian Maia VS Jorge Santiago
    Anthony Pettis VS Jeremy Stephens
    Dave Herman VS Mike Russow
    Josh Grispi VS Matt Grice

UFC on Versus 6
    Anthony Johnson VS Charlie Brenneman
    Mac Danzig VS Matt Wiman

UFC 137
    BJ Penn VS Carlos Condit
    Cheick Kongo VS Matt Mitrione
    Dennis Siver VS Sam Stout
    Mirko Cro Cop VS Roy Nelson
    Brandon Vera VS Elliot Marshall

UFC 138
    Chris Weidman VS Tom Lawlor

Add to those cards the matches that were already made such as GSP VS Diaz, Velasquez VS JDS etc, and these next few cards are going to be some of the best ever. However, Joe Silva's work isn't done yet, he now has to find a replacement for Antonio Rogerio Noguiera who pulled out of his UFC 133 bout with Rich Franklin with a shoulder injury.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Take a bow Joe Silva Empty Re: Take a bow Joe Silva

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:06 pm

If Machida cools his wage demands, Machida- Franklin 2?

Or actually I would have preferred Tito- Franklin.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Evan Dunham vs Shamar Bailey - Is Shamar dropping down or Dunham moving up?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Evan Dunham vs Shamar Bailey - Is Shamar dropping down or Dunham moving up?

Shamar's dropping down.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Some great mach ups there, that 136 card looks ace!

Off topic slightly... hows the blog thing going Shelden? and what was the link again i'd like to read through the new updates?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I haven't posted anything in a while, when I went on holiday, Google decided to be a twat and removed my AdSense because of "irregularity", basically meaning I was getting too much money off it and the advertisers didn't want to pay out. The link is www.sport-junkies.blogspot.com if you want to check it out though Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Sver vs Stout whould be a cracker, I actually fancy Stout to beat him, I think Stout can hang with him on the feet no problem, he seems so much lighter on the feet. I dont know if either fighter will facy taking it to the ground so im backing Stout to outpoint him standing.

Pettis vs Jeremy Stephens im looking forward to as much, another one where both probabally want to stand. Pettis is more flashy obviously but reckon toe to toe Jeremy will bang him up but think Pettis will get the win being more rounded, I can see a sub win maby.

Lauzon vs Guilard is a strange one, Lauzon isnt ranked and Guilard has been making noise about a shot. I dont think any of these fights are clearing the traffic jam at the top of 155. Lauzon has every chance of winning because Guilard has to watch getting subbed like he did against Diaz. Guillard by KO or Lauzon by sub but with his recent form im leaning towards Guilard.

Loving the Lw devision though these should all be really entertaining. Glad Diaz is moving back to 155.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Maia vs Santiago will be cracking, Ive a feeling Maia is going to outclass him and really supprise him on the feet.

Supprised people are picking Nelson over Crocop, given that Crocop was doing well against Mir where as Nelson was looking shite, I think its an even enough fight, Crocop isnt chinny the shots he took against Mir and Schaub woulda put 9/10 heavies in the same state. He has 2 other KO losses and they were the Gonzaga headkick and the Randleman one.

Does anyone think say Randy Couture would have took any of those shots? No one labelled him chinny so its strange im reading it on loads of MMA websites them worrying about him getting one of Nelsons big right hands. Crocop isnt what he was but one of the K-1 greats, he can still hang with the likes of Mir even past his prime. I doubt a small fat slugger could chase him down and land a telegraphed right on him even at this stage of his career....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Herman vs Russow and Meathead vs Kongo are two crackers at Hw too, he really has done a great job matchmaking, I cant see them being good fights. Herman and Kongo to win. Herman has far too much for Russow on the feet, Russow can absorb a beating but he hasnt much for Herman standing because he is a sitting duck.... I reckon he gets battered with with at least a handfull of flashy kicks and knees Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:If Machida cools his wage demands, Machida- Franklin 2?

Or actually I would have preferred Tito- Franklin.

Machida would probabally make short work of Rich in a rematch and I dont think he will risk a smaller name if he didnt take a fight with Evans.

Its at times like these I wish they would look to move a few more SF fighters over, Mousasi vs Rich would be epic I think.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Yoel Romero, the Cuban wrestler, was saying he wants a shot at the belt. Sign him up and stick him in with Franklin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoel_Romero
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Romero has look like a beast in his couple of fights,i'd like to see him take a step up in his career.

would be an exciting signing for strikeforce and I'm sure bellator would love to add another scary Cuban to their roster.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Was there really any point in keeping Shamar Bailey around?A one dimensional boring dry humper who's one dimension isn't even that good. I hope Dunham taps him and sends him packing, maybe to Shark fights or Bellator.

Like Ben I'm loving the LW division right now. Siver vs Stout is a good fight that is quite even. Siver hasn't really had a step up in competition since beating Soti, while Stout is historically inconsistent. Siver is the better grappler but I don't think he's good enough to put Stout on his back. I think standing Stout can win out win it, but should be a close fun fight.

Stephens vs Pettis should be a cracker as well. Stephens is a brawler, while I think Pettis is a more skilled striker. Pettis is too well rounded for me and should beat Stephens if he avoids his power.

Lauzon vs Guillard is another good fight. Lauzon is good but not great. He's a good test for Guillard. He has ok striking, decent wrestling and good BJJ. He will really test Guillard in that respect. I do see Guillard at this stage having too much and KOing him like he has done to Roller and Dunham.

As for Nelson vs Cro Cop. I disagree whole heartedly that Cro Cop did good against Mir. He didn't do anything. Period. I'm not saying Cro Cop's chin is glass, but Schaub is an average striker who couldn't last a round with Nelson standing.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Franklin is off the card, Hallman VS Ebersole is on the main card.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Bailey should of been cut
    Dunham will destroy him

Siver stout I like stout

Strange fight for Melvin is lauzon, I do like lauzon he has some awsome subs and that's been Melvin achiles heel, rekon 1st rd tko for melv
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Cung Le has said he would love to fight Chris Leben at UFC 138.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I dont see UFC getting him out of a contract like they did Diaz. Diaz had UFC by the balls because he could was going to Box, Cung Le is more or less retired and has never been ranked.

Cant see UFC taking him up on the offer because he could fight one fight, beat Leben and never fight again. Id kill to see it, it would be an epic but cant see it going ahead.

------------------------

Did you hear Overeem said Zuffa are threatening to cut him out of the GP if he doesnt fight Bigfoot in september. He wants to fight in October and says he would fight outside the UFC or try Boxing if they cut him from the GP....

Wow thats crazy I heard him talk about fighting Vitali! Laughing hope he reconsiders, fighting Zuffa doesnt really seem to work, theres no good heavies outside Zuffa and he would walk into a fight with Vitali, I reckon theyd expect him to at least get 5-6 fights under his belt and sqush his opponent to get a fight with Vitali.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 am

With the way Le does things, I doubt Dana would sign him. He can't take one fight, fuck off for a year and a half and take another with Dana. Especailly since Leben just got the biggest win of his career. Dana won't sacrifice a potential challenger for one fight with Le.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

Yep agree he wouldnt risk a guy with so many UFC fights under his belt to an actor who would most likely fuck off!

I reckon Leben knocks him about for what its worth. You look at the size and power of Leben, even compared to Smith. Le is rusty and old Id back Leben to tear after him and turn his lights out.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 am

Sheldan wrote:Cung Le has said he would love to fight Chris Leben at UFC 138.

interesting, im liking the fact the ufc/sf fighters are demanding matches with each other. shame this didnt happen years ago we could have seen the randy/fedor fight.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Yoel Romero, the Cuban wrestler, was saying he wants a shot at the belt. Sign him up and stick him in with Franklin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoel_Romero

payneNglory1 wrote:Romero has look like a beast in his couple of fights,i'd like to see him take a step up in his career.

would be an exciting signing for strikeforce and I'm sure bellator would love to add another scary Cuban to their roster.

verbal agreements are in place for Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero on the Sept. 10 Strikeforce event cheers

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24500/rafael-feijao-cavalcante-vs-yoel-romero-slotted-for-sept-10-strikeforce-event.mma

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm