THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
NonnyMus
9 posters

GSP vs Anderson Silva

NonnyMus
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

GSP vs Anderson Silva Empty GSP vs Anderson Silva

Post  NonnyMus Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:19 pm

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2010025.html

Silva is supposedly shelving his retirement plans as he wants to have a few superfights. I reckon GSP vs Silva is one the majority of fans want to see.

Do you think this fight will actually happen?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP vs Anderson Silva Empty Re: GSP vs Anderson Silva

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I would love to see that fight,but I don't think they are likely to find a suitable weight to fight at for a while,it would have to happen soon before Silva moves up in weight.

I think Silvas plans are to move up in weight first and I think if he piles on the pounds to be more competetive with the bigger guys,then I think at his age he would have a harder time getting or wanting to drop back to a weight that GSP could fight him at.
    though saying that,if he moves up and loses to a couple of LHW's then I suppose it would be worth cutting the weight to fight GSP for one last big payday.

I think Anderson wins this fight no problems if it does happen.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I would love to see that fight,but I don't think they are likely to find a suitable weight to fight at for a while,it would have to happen soon before Silva moves up in weight.

I think Silvas plans are to move up in weight first and I think if he piles on the pounds to be more competetive with the bigger guys,then I think at his age he would have a harder time getting or wanting to drop back to a weight that GSP could fight him at.
    though saying that,if he moves up and loses to a couple of LHW's then I suppose it would be worth cutting the weight to fight GSP for one last big payday.

I think Anderson wins this fight no problems if it does happen.

Thats a good point, if Anderson is going to take on Lhw or even Heavys he is going to have to bulk up quite a bit. A catchweight between 185 and 170 wont happen, Anderson hasnt been that low in years after all.

It could happen at 185lbs but it would be better to happen sooner rather than Later before Anderson Bulks up.... Id really enjoy him vs Mir thinking about it.

Ive always had GSP to win this because I feet he could take Silva down and controll him, but his chin = Silvas accurate powerfull striking makes it a very dangerous fight for GSP. Still I gotta back GSP I think Bar Fedor he is the best fighter in MMA today.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 pm

I love GSP as much as anybody but I just can't see him as having much of a chance of beating Silva.
    I think with Silva's range and accuracy and the way he keeps distance,I don't see how GSP would be able to shoot with out taking to many bombs on the way in,be it knees or big hits and even if GSP did get Silva to the ground,he's never faced a guy that big and with good BJJ,whos to say he can keep him there or not get triangled by them long legs.I don't think GSP could sub Silva.
    If it stayed on the feet then I think we can all agree GSP is going to sleep.

I just see so many ways that Silva could win this fight at any time during it,yet the only way I see GSP winning,is if he can push Silva's cardio and grind out a decision.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Am i the only one that thinks Anderson-GSP will never happen, i mean there's been talks about this for ages now but nothing has looked close to happening.

You just know when Rogan puts the mic infront of GSP at 111 and asks him about move MW to fight Anderson, he's going to say the same old "We shall see, i want to fight the best etc......."
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:19 pm

If it does happen, I think GSP does win. I think if he escapes the first two rounds its going to be an easy decision. Silva just gets lazy and gasses after that, has he ever finished a fight outside the first two rounds (Coté was an injury) Really its only the first because GSP is always at his best during the second round of the fights, its where he has finished feeling his opponent out but still very fresh and energetic plus he comes out with techniques that suprise his opponents. Silva has outstanding striking, possibly the best striker in MMA today but its not like GSP is useless standing up. He knows how to defend himself. Its unlikely that GSP will land many punches, put he can throw some body kicks, Silva's body style means he will feel those. In terms of takedowns, Silva is not going to stop them if GSP grabs a hold of him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 pm

I love GSP as much as anybody but I just can't see him as having much of a chance of beating Silva.
    I think with Silva's range and accuracy and the way he keeps distance,I don't see how GSP would be able to shoot with out taking to many bombs on the way in,be it knees or big hits and even if GSP did get Silva to the ground,he's never faced a guy that big and with good BJJ,whos to say he can keep him there or not get triangled by them long legs.I don't think GSP could sub Silva.
    If it stayed on the feet then I think we can all agree GSP is going to sleep.

I just see so many ways that Silva could win this fight at any time during it,yet the only way I see GSP winning,is if he can push Silva's cardio and grind out a decision.

Silva has been taken down before, he was takendown easily pre-UFC days and Travis Lutter took him down. From there he moved into mount quick and punished him, easily winning the first round. Lutter has very good BJJ but he isn't a particularly large MW or a good wrestler. Silva's take down defence thus far has been non-existant. Bottom line is Silva has never faced anyone as athletic, as good a wrestler (with good cardio) and someone who pushes the pace like GSP. This isn't new terrirory for GSP, he has faced good and big strikers before. No one like Silva but the base is still there. Most of the guys Silva has faced have chosen to stand with him and its routine from there. When Hendo took him down, he couldn't do anything for a round, same with Lutter. Leites avoided his whole standup game completely and Silva didn't do shit. Yes Leites was a bitch in that fight but it shows that Silva's standup game is avoidable and GSP won't avoid it by dropping to his back.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 pm

I don't buy into this Silva becomes lazy and gasses after rd 2,since not many fighters have made it out of round 2 with Silva.

I think Silva has the experiance of fighting similar bigger fighters to GSP,(mix Hendo and Nate and I think you have GSP),where as GSP has always been the bigger fighter where he has an easier time controlling opponents,he won't have that advantage over Silva.Hendo couldn't controll Silva for 2 rds.GSP has never been in the cage with anybody close to having Silva's style.

this fight reminds me of when Silva fought Carlos Newton years ago,don't get me wrong GSP is in a differant league to Newton but they do have their similarities and although GSP is alot better than the Newton in that fight,the Silva of today is also alot better and now he is alot bigger and alot more experianced also.

This is going to have to be one of those agree to disagree topics for me,as I don't want to say anything against GSP
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm

I don't know what it is, maybe he gets bored or demotivated but he has always fought shit after round 2.

Mxing Hendo and Nate together doesn't make GSP because there is still no atheltic ability or a shot as beastly as GSPs. Not to mention speed, cardio, pace and unprecitable kicks. A mix of Nate vs Hendo would defeat most fighters easily though. Both there power combined would be insane.

Hendo couldn't control Silva because of abysmal cardio due to terrible handling of the weight cut. That is 85% Hendo's fault, not Silva being good.

At the end of the day when it comes to GSP, I know im going to be extremly bias, I would probably pick him to beat Fedor, Lesner and Carwin in a handicap match! Laughing
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 pm

I would love to see this fight, but I can't call who wins it. Possibly the most unpredictable fight possible?
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

GSP vs Anderson Silva Empty reply

Post  Raiden Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 am

I'd love to see this fight happen.

Anderson would be favourite in my book, he is naturally a fair bit bigger than GSP.

Would be epic, imagine how big of a win it would be for GSP if he could pull it off. Would be a huge win for Silva too.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 am

Personally I'm not convinced in Silva or Soares intent on things when they speak it is all great talking about fighting GSP, Mir & ect but these 2 men have been attempting to avoid Vitor like Tito did with Chuck from petty excuses to "injuries" i'm not convinced in Silva's actions.

I do think if he fights GSP he will be dominated for 5 or 3 Rounds GSP has taken down FItch, Kos, Hughes, Trigg and Penn with ease Silva's take down defence is dire.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm

I cannot see this fight happening at all.

If it did, Silva, IMO, would be favourite purely in terms of size. Had they been of similar size, GSP would have a decent chance, I just could not see GSP overcoming such a size disadvantage against an excellent striker like Silva.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:12 am