The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Anderson Silva is the GOAT

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Anderson Silva is the GOAT

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm Fedor's biggest fan and have always banged the drum for him as the best ever but Anderson has surpassed him IMO. His performance last night was absolutely mind blowing and while it was only Bonnar, he destroyed the man in a way he'd never been destroyed before. Nobody had stopped him, nobody have ever really dominated him. He gave Jones as could as he got when they fought and was outwrestled more than anything in that fight. Silva walked in last night and clowned him and then destroyed him when he felt he'd spent long enough in the cage.

His legacy is secured and he's the best ever. If he retired tomorrow there's nobody that could touch him.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Anderson Silva is the GOAT

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:09 pm

He might be, but it wasn't like last night proved it. An utterly meaningless fight against a poor LHW. Last night was just a bit of fun, let's not get carried away. Like I say, he might just be the GOAT, but to proclaim this all after last night is comical. He made the biggest claim to be the best when he destroyed Sonnen in the rematch.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Beating Stephan doesn't really make for a better case, I'll be honest I felt a bit upset how disrespectful Anderson was last night towards Bonnar. I didn't enjoy his lame Roy Jones wannabe act (I think that upset more as a Jones fan) It's not like Bonnar was being a dick towards him like Chael to me I thought It was very vulgar for him to act like that.

I still see Fedor as the GOAT as I don't think we will ever see a fighter like that ever again (The same can be said for Anderson, obviously) to me he is just a fascinating fighter he never disrespected anyone was always classy in victory or defeat. And It still amazes me how he would regularly beat bigger men and even beat fighter at their own game.

I hate to say this but both will be surpassed by Jones pretty soon If he continues to fight at LHW even now his record is up there with Fedor, GSP and Anderson (I don't think this will go down well with Anfield Laughing)
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

When Jones goes and fights at his natural weight class he might be able to build a case.

Unfortunately JDS will murder him if he ever grows a set of balls and move up.

Anderson's the GOAT. His skill set is ridiculous. His finishing ability is the best the sport has ever seen. His chin is incredible and his record is fantastic.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:He might be, but it wasn't like last night proved it. An utterly meaningless fight against a poor LHW. Last night was just a bit of fun, let's not get carried away. Like I say, he might just be the GOAT, but to proclaim this all after last night is comical. He made the biggest claim to be the best when he destroyed Sonnen in the rematch.

It's not about who he fought you mong, it's about how he fought and it's off the back of 3 fights were he destroyed people that many said would beat him. It's not who he beat last night, it's the manner in which he beat him. NOBODY has ever come close to doing that to Bonnar who has fought Jones, Evans, Forrest twice and Machida and none of them beat him like that last night.

I would explain the complexities of that knee and how perfect it was but I wouldn't want to confuse your tiny mind.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I agree with the point about "its not who he beat but the manner of the victory", but for me Fedor is still the greatest. Its not just who he beat (the "greatest" isnt about comparing resume's) but his style of fighting that sets him apart from the others. I think we can agree Anderson is great at boxing, brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai and makes winning look easy.

You can't talk about Fedor in those terms, for me you cant really distinguish the different styles within his style and he's the only fighter i can say that about. All the fighters mix the martial arts in their style, but Fedor blends them until its one, and thats why he couldnt be beaten at his peak...something like Bruce Lee's philosophy.
    I think if you were going to scientifically design the perfect fighter, Fedor is the only guy worth concerning about. I've been watching some of his old fights recently and thats just my opinion bounce
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:10 pm

I've been one of Fedors biggest fans, but, I think, I probably agree with Anfield on this one. In terms of dominance, he just about edges it. Despite the fact that 'it was only Bonnar', this is a man who has never been stopped before, and a man that Silva completely dominated, despite the size difference. My issue with Silva, has always been the complete lack of respect that he shows anyone, and last night was terrible in that respect. It has to be said though, in terms of skillset, he has surpased the great one (IMO), although only just.

thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 pm

I dont believe anderson was disrespecting bonnar but he gave him the chance to fight the style of fight bonnar said he would . Also having the balls to put your back against the cage against an opponent who is naturally bigger .His lateral movement footwork and speed is head and shoulders above most mma practioners including fedor who was very flat footed .Defo the GOAT imho awesome display last night ,as for that annoying cunt jones Dana please feed him a heavy!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah I don't really think he was disrespecting him either to be honest. Just putting on a show for the fans.

1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Anderson was not disrespecting Bonnar IMO. Did Ali disrespect all his opponents in the ring? No, he merely showed he skills in a very entertaining manner. MMA is a very respectful sport and needs stars like AS.
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Fedor will always be mentioned as GOAT candidate but really he is no where near as naturally talented as Anderson Silva. The things Anderson can do really no one else can do regardless of opposition, its like he's from a different planet some times.

We wont see anything like him again, hope he continues for a few more years he can still clown guys even when he's 40.
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

I've never really seen Anderson Silva's antics as disrespectful - I've always thought that was his way of keeping the fight where he wants it. He didn't need to be prompted to check on Bonnar after the fight at least.

As soon as his reputation was in place, his opposition grew weary and wouldn't attack because they knew they would get hit hard so he had to start dropping his hands and goading them, drawing them into his counter-striking game.

He wasn't going to dive into the guard of those who have a better BJJ game than him which is why the Leites and Maia fights were so dull. I don't actually remember the fights (who would want to) but if there were any accusations of disrespect, they would mostly be true for the Maia fight.

Sonnen found a weakness that he exploited but couldn't take advantage of which is why I think Anderson leaned against the cage in the Bonnar fight - it made it harder for him to be taken down.

I personally think that most of his "disrespectfulness" is actually fight intelligence, and sometimes a bit of fun. He understands his opponents strengths compared to his weaknesses and plans accordingly.

As for being the GOAT, dunno. I too am a big Fedor fan but I see him more as a pioneer now - he was the first real mixed martial artist, in the sense of the sport. But times move on.....

The best way to put it is

Pride GOAT - Fedor
    UFC GOAT - Anderson

drunken drunken
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I have to agree as well, Anderson Silva is the GOAT and face of MMA. He is so ridiculously dominant in his fights he actually earns the right to showboat a little bit. For any other fighter, leaving your hands by your side might be considered disrespectful but not with Silva. He has a crazy record, an insane set of skills and for me he is the best fighter to watch as well.

I don't know if I would say he is more naturally talented than Fedor. Fedor reminds me of BJ Penn in the sense that they are both incredibly talented, both are great fighters but neither one of them really put in the extra effort. Silva is pretty much the whole package. Unparalleled striking in MMA, good BJJ, good take down defense, insane head movement. And he is also very strong, that's something people often overlook. The way he threw Bonnar around who's a massive LHW was pretty impressive.

I think GSP or Jones might have the potential to take the title of GOAT away from him in the future, but right now I don't think either of them are even close. I also think that if Hendo were to beat either Silva or Jones then he would be the GOAT.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

I loved the part where Anderson started talking to his corner! And the side step to avoid the spin kick was brilliant! The look of disdain on his face was priceless.

GSP or Aldo - IF he goes to LW - could well challenge the GOAT status down the road. Bones will have to go to HW to even get into the discussion. Cain, Reem and JDS will all be waiting.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:47 pm