THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Once Mohawked Pete
pinsman
George_Louis_Costanza@who
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
redmeanie77
10 posters

Cain, JDS, Carwin ....... Who is the daddy ?

Poll

Who your pick?

[ 2 ]
    Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_lcap15%Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_lcap62%Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_rcap [62%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_lcap23%Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? I_vote_rcap [23%] 

Total Votes: 13
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? Empty Cain, JDS, Carwin ....... Who is the daddy ?

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 pm

We did a thread on these awhile back....

https://thearmbar.forumotion.com/mma-forum-f1/the-3-new-stars-at-hw-whos-your-pick-t349.htm

Since then we have seen JDS KO Yvel and GG in the 1st round. We saw Cain destroy Nog, and recently Carwin dominated Mir in impressive fashion.

Heres are some of the quotes from a while back

my Pick is Carwin, He has been steamrolling everyone he has faces, is much bigger and more powerfull than the other 2 and has impressive standup and GnP.

For me its Carwin, i think he is better than the other 2 and can KO the other two and pretty much any HW he tags.

The power he has is scary.

picked Carwin by mistake but you know my pick is Dos Santos.

How do you change?

technically i think Valesquez is the best but i think if they where to fight carwin would beat him and JDS at the moment i think carwin would be too powerful for both of them but i see cain improving over the next year or two and beating him i think he will be champ by 2011

going with Velasquez. I reckon he is the most well rounded fighter of the three and will hopefully develop into one of the top heavyweights in the world

What do you think 5 months on?
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? Empty Re: Cain, JDS, Carwin ....... Who is the daddy ?

Post  Shanemc Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm

still think Carwin is the best and his wins over Mir and Gonzage are bigger than what either Dos Santos and Cain have done recently
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cain, JDS, Carwin .......  Who is the daddy ? Empty Re: Cain, JDS, Carwin ....... Who is the daddy ?

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm

What about Cain? He would be difficult for Carwin to control like he did to Mir. Also Cain can keep the pace high and Carwin wont be able to live with him. Carwin was reluctant to stand in the middle and trade with Mir.

A combination of punches in bunches and leg kicks would see Cain through against Carwin, until he tires and Cain wins a UD or tko rd 2/3.

Although if Carwin connects with him, he will more than likely suffer the same fate as the others.....

Carwin-JDS: I think Carwin would do the same thing he did to Mir.

JDS-Cain: We all want to see this, i would have Cain UD though.

So i guess for me Cain is top dog, but i think Carwin is most likey to beat the monster that is Brock. Did anyone see the size difference at 111 affraid And this is supposedly Brock still trying to gain the weight he lost.....
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:18 pm

i think JDS would beat Carwin wasily.

JDS/Cain will have Cain being able to control, but it would only take one good punch on the chin from jr.
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Cain for me is the far more rounded but I would say Carwin is the most Dangerous by far I mean that short arm punch on Gonzaga and those lethal short uppercuts on Mir were a scary sight how can someone generate that much power from such little range is unreal.

JDS I'm still not convinced with Gonzaga got greedy when he took him down looking for the immediate mount and stupidly forgot to attempt to take him down again thinking he was Ramon Dekkers.....I feel Cain, Lesnar & Carwin would all GnP the life out of him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:18 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:i think JDS would beat Carwin wasily.

JDS/Cain will have Cain being able to control, but it would only take one good punch on the chin from jr.

How do u see Cain-Carwin going? And how do you rate the 3 guys chances against Brock?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

i think Carwin has the best chance against Brock to be honest.

look at Brock vs Randy.

Randy was able to control him against the cage.
    Carwin employed similar tactics against Mir and if Randy can do it, Shane Can. + the ridiculous power means he could KO him.

even then i can see all 3 losing or possibly winning.

Carwin/Cain is not an easy one to pick at all.

12-0 and there are still so many unanswered questions.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:18 pm

I would say Carwin is the most well rounded for sure! He showed in saturday that he does hav other things in his arsenal other than KO power... Carwin controlled Mir at the cage with ease and his short uppercuts created so much damage!! Carwin would finish both JDS and Cain, sorry guys but its true... I would ov to see some of Carwins wreastling that he talks about, he hasn't really been tested yet on the ground and I think he would be awesome there if reputation is to be gone by...

Someone posted about him not wanting to trade in the centre of the octogon... he stuck to his game plan and it worked, i'm sure Carwin could trade with Mir if he wanted to he did fine against Gonzaga... I've never seen Mir so dominated not even against Lesnar... Mir almost looked like he didn't want to be there.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm

I still see Cain as being the future of HW within the UFC, I just think that he has the best all-round game.

Carwin without doubt though, has tremendous power, especially in those short punches. Would give him a decent chance against anyone at the moment, even Lesnar. What price the winner of Lesnar/Carwin vs the winner of JDS/Velasquez? I'm actually quite excited about the HW division in UFC at the moment. Not too sure about Carwin being able to finish Cain, Cain looks like he's got a decent enough chin on him, his stand-up is clinical and their amateur wrestling record is fairly similar as well, would be a very exciting fight though.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 pm

woooooah dude, Kongo rocked Cain badly! Carwin would take his soddin head off! Carwin is the biggest hitter at HW right now, Lesar is powerful but has got Carwins hands...

I just really want to see Carwins wrestling, i've heard so much about it but haven't seen him use it... if its as good as i've heard then he's unstoppable! He could be a prolific champ if he gets past Lesnar
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 pm

"Someone posted about him not wanting to trade in the centre of the octogon... he stuck to his game plan and it worked, i'm sure Carwin could trade with Mir if he wanted to he did fine against Gonzaga... "

Actually when he stood in centre and tried to box with GG, he got fucked up and hit with 3 right hands, his eyes were rolled at backwards for a second. GG made a mistake and Carwins got back to his feet, and landed a punch from very short distance that KO'ed GG.

Carwin does not have great technique in stand up, he has just tremendous powers in his hands. If he were to stand up with some like JDS, he would get burned.

I can see Cain being too quick for him and outstriking him, and wearing him out.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm

going with Velasquez. I reckon he is the most well rounded fighter of the three and will hopefully develop into one of the top heavyweights in the world
    I'm sticking with this, over time I think Cain will end up being the greater fighter. Carwin probably has the edge at the moment, however I reckon his time at the top will be short.

Junior Dos Santos is definately a lot better than I thought 5 months ago, I wasn't sold on him then but he's impressed each time since.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:01 am

pinsman wrote:woooooah dude, Kongo rocked Cain badly! Carwin would take his soddin head off! Carwin is the biggest hitter at HW right now, Lesar is powerful but has got Carwins hands...

I just really want to see Carwins wrestling, i've heard so much about it but haven't seen him use it... if its as good as i've heard then he's unstoppable! He could be a prolific champ if he gets past Lesnar

Let's face it, most HWs can 'rock' another, they're all big guys. Cain was never in major trouble against Kongo, and whilst he did look a bit shaken, he reverted to his natural wrestling game to recover. I think that Carwin looked far more in trouble against Gabe. I do admit that Carwin certainly looks to have huge power, but in a straight stand-up, think that Cain has the better movement. I couldn't see Cain allowing himself to be penned against the cage for any major length of time. We also don't know anything about Carwins ability in the latter rounds of a fight.

All of this said though, I would say that Carwin would have the better chance of beating Lesnar right now.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 am

Cain would struggle against Carwin, his size and power would be too much, regardless of wrestling skill.

And standing up? Who would bet against Carwin's fists?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 am

Pretty sure I called Carwin back then, Still calling Carwin now. Carwin would get done in by JDS on the feet but I dont see JDS being strong enough to Keep Carwin from Taking him down or doing what he did to Mir.

Cain would be too small to outwrestle him and although his boxing is crisper you wouldnt bet against Carwin KOing him on the feet or outwrestling him.

At this stage JDS/Cain is neck and neck, Its hard to say who would win. Im edging towards JDS because I fancy his chances on the feet but his Groundgame is still a bit of a mistery. He did get Gonzaga off him very quickly during their fight though.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Its interesting to see how diffently people have voted. That could ofcourse be due to different people voting or people still on the post-UFC111 hype. But i dont think we learned anything new by Carwin in that fight, we knew he was a better westler than Mir and we knew if he hits Mir then the fight would be over soon. And thats what happened. To be honest i didnt expect him to wallnStall and take away Mir's strenghts, but i must say it was a very smart effective gameplan.

Whereas with Cain, no one expected him to outbox and ko Nog in the first round, he didnt use his wrestling at all. I think Cain's was more impressive and suprising. But Carwin seems to be the man of the moment now.....
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Speaking via Yahoo!Sports.com, Lesnar said:

“I kind of figured Shane was going to win, though I know anything can happen in this sport. I was kind of laying back and I didn’t want to count any chickens before they hatched. Shane’s a tough guy and I just know that Frank’s time is done. This is the new evolution of the heavyweight division. Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos, we’re the guys in this division.”
    Chimezero
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Chimezero Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:30 am

exciting times ahead for the heavy weight division with all 3 putting on great performances.
    Would love to see cain vs JDS especially as the co main event of brock vs carwin, i do think they will be kept apart until they both have had title shots which is a shame as the ufc was always about the best fighters fighting each other would be a shame if a potentially great fight was wasted
    Really cant pick a winner between the 3 carwins hands just need to touch you, cains wrestling/stamina and JDS striking ooh exciting times

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 2:42 am