THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
hendos_right_hook
Shanemc
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
11 posters

Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition Empty Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition 4258542552_1b5821443b_medium

"I’m a fighter who takes it one opponent at a time and my next fight is in Strikeforce against (Dan) Henderson. When you talk about guys like Anderson Silva and St.-Pierre, the best in the world, obviously I fight want to fight them. I want to be the best in the world and to be the best you have to beat the best. GSP’s a complete fighter standing and on the ground. But that’s why I want to fight him, that’s the challenge. I want to test my skills and see what happens. Now I’m focused on Dan Henderson for this fight and after that my contract with Strikeforce ends. I’ll talk with Strikeforce and the UFC to find out which one I will work for."

Current Strikeforce middleweight champion and undeafeted since 2004, Jake Shields comes off thirteen victories in a row and now has the hardest match of his career versus Dan Henderson on April 17. Shields has been training jiu-jitsu with friends Nick and Nate Diaz and experienced a six-week camp with Robert Drysdale in Las Vegas recently where also had the opportunity of helping Chuck Liddell as BJJ coach for the 11th season of The Ultimate Fighter. Jake is going to do the last fight of the current contract and after that will talk to both Strikeforce and UFC to decide what organization he will fight for.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition Empty Re: Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:00 pm

This talk is a bit premature... After Hendo Saprks him the UFC wont want to know him! Laughing
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition Empty Re: Jake Shields may look to the UFC for competition

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Couldnt agree more with Ben. Although if Shields does manage somehow to beat Hendo i can see the UFC going after him and signing him. He is on TUF 11 with Chucks team also.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 pm

I personally think he will move to the UFC no matter how the result goes,he is a Welterweight fighting a MW/LHW,the only reason he has moved up to MW is because of how weak the Strikeforce WW division is and thats where the money and better challenges are for him plus Diaz is a WW too,where as if he signed for the UFC,I would put money on him being signed as a WW,so a loss to Hendo shouldn't put the UFC off signing him as a WW.

Him moving to the UFC leaving Nick Diaz to stay at Strikeforce would make sense for them as they have said many times they would never fight each other.

He would deffinately add a bit of extra compitition in the UFC already stacked WW division.

Jake Sheilds
    George St. Pierre
    John Fitch
    Thaigo Alves
    Dan Hardy
    Paulo Thiago
    Paul Daley
    Josh Koscheck
    Martin Kampmann
    Mike Swick
    Carlos Condit
    Matt Hughes
    Diego Sanchez
    Anthony Johnson
    Matt Serra
    Ben Saunders
    Amir Sadollah and I'm sure I've missed off a few good fighters.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:55 pm

didnt realise that the ufc had such a strong ww division and with shields maybe joining it will be that much stronger and especially if he beats hendo he will have alot of hype surrounding him but i doubt it i say hendo sparks him out
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:59 pm

There's a hell of a lot of depth in the WW division. I'm against monopolizing divisions, but as a career move Shields would be a fool to turn down that offer!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Jake Sheilds
    George St. Pierre
    John Fitch
    Thaigo Alves
    Dan Hardy
    Paulo Thiago
    Paul Daley
    Josh Koscheck
    Martin Kampmann
    Mike Swick
    Carlos Condit
    Matt Hughes
    Diego Sanchez
    Anthony Johnson
    Matt Serra
    Ben Saunders
    Amir Sadollah and I'm sure I've missed off a few good fighters

such as

Ricardo Almeida
    Brian Foster
    Hathaway (undefeated)
    Hazelett
    Johny Hendricks
    Baroni
    Ellenberger
    Dong hyun Kim (undefeated)
    Lytle
    Rory Macdonald (undefeated) Huge prospect btw
    Brad Blackburn
    Nick Ospicsack
    BJ Penn Wink

and others...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm

When you look at all the names in the division, that really is something special.

The UFC's 170 and 205 division are by far the best. 205 is just missing Mousasi really, Arona is apparently coming after the summer, King Mo will probably lose his next fight. Lets hope now that Mousasi is free of M-1 he joins UFC late this year or next year.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Thats what makes the fact that GSP has practicly cleaned out that division all the more impressive.

But It'll be even more impressive when Hardy knocks 10 barrells of shit out him and takes his belt Wink
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm

i'd like to see jake stay at MW.

i think its a better fit for him to be honest, i am not a fan of big weight cutters.

with that said, the strikeforce/non-ufc MW division has alot of good fighters.

IF he beats Hendo though, he would probably be a strong contender to beat Silva (i think he is a good fighter to beat him already) in which case he might want to look to the UFC.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 am

I really like Shields, a lot of people give him shitfor being boring but I have to disagree, I think his past fights cloud people's judgements. Hendo looks like a clear favourite but Shields is no pushover, Palahares put Hendo on his back and Shields has better wrestling. Ok Palhares is very strong but if SHields train right, he can get a takedown and get a submission.

Should he beat Hendo, the UFC will be all over him and I think he will go and fight between MW and WW. At MW, he will have some problems, what happens when he fights the giants of the division like Nate and Sonnen?

Id like to see how he does at WW there, personally I think GSP would be too much for him and I think Alves is a terrible match-up for him. Shields vs Fitch/Kos/Thiago all make for intresting fights.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 am

The more I think of this fight the more I favour Shields OK his stand up is shite as good as a wrestler Hendo is his striking is very wild I could see Jake taking advantage of this using take downs in the fight and grinding out a win or even submitting Hendo late on if hr gasses.

IMO Shields and maybe Almeida are the only real threats to GSP at 170.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:51 pm

GSP is alot more well rounded than Sheilds though, would be an awesome wrestling contest very close in that area I would have thought... but GSP would dispose of him in the end his BJJ and Karate are at just as a high level as his wrestling.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:03 pm

No I think GSP is a much better wrestler, especially in terms of takedowns. Kos and maybe Fitch are better wrestlers than Shields and both got outwrestled by Shields.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 pm

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields a free agent after April 17 fight, will explore options

Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields (24-4-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) is in a unique position when he defends his belt for the first time on April 17 against top-tier import Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA 0-0 SF) at "Strikeforce: Nashville." He is not required to stay with the organization if he wins.

The "champion clause" is common to top promotions and makes sure fighters can't immediately look for greener pastures if they win or retain a title on the last fight of their contracts. It's a safeguard to make sure the promotion gets a return on its investment.

Shields, however, confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that his fight with Henderson is the final obligation on his current Strikeforce contract.

He is a free agent on April 17 – whether it's his or Henderson's hand raised at the end of the night.

Shields admits it's a career gamble. If he wins on April 17, his free agency could bring him to find the best possible contract on the open market. That could mean a new deal with Strikeforce – or a trip to the UFC, which he's coveted for some time. (In several interviews, he's welcomed a fight with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, and St-Pierre has done so in kind.)

If he falls short in Nashville, though, his bargaining power immensely decreases.

Shields is trying not to think about the stakes in the buildup to the fight. It's a balancing act between his longterm goals with the biggest challenge of his career that faces him now.

"I am happy with Strikeforce," Shields said. "They've given me big fights like I asked for, so I'm happy with them. But also, I do want big fights, and of course the UFC has a lot of big fights as well.

"I try not to think about that too much; I'm just trying to get through Dan. This is the biggest fight of my career. I'll just get through that and re-evaluate the situation from there."

Shields, long considered one of the top non-UFC welterweights in the world before his jump to middleweight, said he decided not to sign a new deal with Strikeforce prior to the April 17 fight because he wanted to find out what he's worth.

"I wanted to be a free agent," said Shields, who's also held EliteXC and Rumble on the Rock titles during his current 13-fight win streak. "I haven't been a free agent in a couple of years, and I wanted the option of leaving Strikeforce. Not that I'm leaving Strikeforce; I just wanted the option.

"Right now, I can't really talk to other shows. It's in the contract. You can't talk any business. So I just want to be in a situation where I can look at my options and figure it out from there."

In 2009, Shields carved new territory as a middleweight. After submitting Robbie Lawler this past May at 182 pounds, he bested Jason "Mayhem" Miller at a bona fide 185 pounds to win the promotion's vacant middleweight belt.

But there's no doubt in Shields' mind that Henderson is the toughest opponent he's faced yet. Henderson is a former two-title PRIDE champion, a former UFC contender, and has fought a laundry list of the sport's best over a 13-year career. Plus, he's an Olympic-caliber wrestler, which many believe to be the kryptonite to Shields' jiu-jitsu base.

Still, a win over Henderson would make him an even more bankable star.

"It's taking a lot of risk, and you get a lot of reward that way," Shields said.

Shields isn't sure when his current Strikeforce contract allows him to negotiate a new deal after the April 17 fight, but he believes it's no more than a few months.

He just hopes that he's in the right position in his next trip to the bargaining table.

"I like Strikeforce, so as long as it's a good offer, and it looks like they're going to get some good opponents – I also want to fight top competition, so it's the combination of pay, exposure, and top competition," he said. "Those are the three things I'll make my decision off of."

I would not be suprised to see him joining his buddy Chuck to the UFC. Although would the UFC be interested if he loses to Hendo??
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 am

I would think the UFC should be looking to sign Shields regardless of the outcome of the Hendo fight. He's not the most exciting fighter to watch but there are plenty of good fights for him in the UFC at welterweight and a couple at middleweight, although I'd agree that he might struggle against some of the bigger middleweights.

The UFC will probably look at it as a chance to put one over Strikeforce as well by signing one of their better fighters.
    james_hampton
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  james_hampton Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 am

UFC IMO are trying to whatever they can to try to get one over strikeforce, and probably wont be happy til they put them out of business (such as running events the same day). I think shields would be a good addition to the UFC, but think he would be a bigger loss to strikeforce than a gain to UFC. Be an interesting fight with hendo though.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Dana interested in Shields, wouldnt be suprised if UFC officals had a few words with Shields during TUF 11.

BROOMFIELD, Colo. – While the UFC will remain firmly in the MMA spotlight for the next 10 days with two more shows on the horizon, that focus will briefly shift in April for Strikeforce's second-ever CBS-broadcast event.

Headlining the April 17 "Strikeforce: Nashville" card is Strikeforce middleweight champ Jake Shields as he meets former UFC star Dan Henderson.

Following Sunday night's post-UFC on Versus 1 press conference, UFC president Dana White said he's not very fond of the matchup, but he is keeping an eye on Shields.

"Dan Henderson is fighting [expletive] Jake Shields," White said to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Come on. Are you serious? Jake Shields is 170 pounds, and he's their (185-pound) champion.

"And I just found out today that they're running commercials on [CBS], and the commercials are like three seconds, and it basically says, 'MMA legend Dan Henderson,' and he hits a heavy bag, I guess, and looks back at the camera. That's the [expletive] commercial. How about, 'Jake Shields is our [expletive] champion'?"

Strikeforce recently began airing those teaser spots on CBS during the network's broadcast of the highly watched NCAA men's basketball tournament. White believes the angle of the advertising, as well as the matchup itself, makes determining Strikeforce's motives simple.

"Jake Shields is on the last fight of his contract, so they're feeding him to Dan Henderson right now because they want to get rid of him because he's going to go away, or they're going to have to pay him some big money to stick around or whatever the deal is," White said. "'We're paying more money to Dan Henderson than we can afford already, so let's get Jake's ass kicked by Dan Henderson and get rid of Jake Shields.'

"It's such [expletive] bush-league [expletive], and you guys know it. They're a [expletive] joke. Showtime's always been a joke with all their sports programming, and this is no different."

White said he clearly favors Henderson in the matchup, but if Shields can pull off the upset, he should expect a call from the UFC.

"If Jake Shields could pull that off, that would be incredible, and good for him," White said. "He's going to get paid because what's going to happen is we would love to take him from there, and I'm sure they'd love him to stick around.

"I will help drive that [expletive] number right up through the roof and let the Showtime boys pay him a lot of money so that Jake can stick it right up their ass. 'I just choked out Dan Henderson, and now you [expletives] are going to pay me for trying to stick it up my ass. I'm going to stick it up yours.'"

White said he wouldn't rule out bidding for Shields even if he lost the fight. The UFC exec said the absurdity of the matchup means the responsibility for a defeat wouldn't fall directly on Shields' shoulders.

"The fight makes no sense," White said. "You're going to fight Dan Henderson at 185 (pounds) when you're really the 170-pound champion? That's how [expletive] up that company is, and they're our competitor."

But while White is comfortable admitting he's willing to go after one of Strikeforce's biggest stars, he was far less forthcoming when his competitor's biggest asset was mentioned.

When pressed as to whether the delay of Fedor Emelianenko's return to the Strikeforce cage had anything to do with the UFC, White had more questions than answers.

"What's going on?" White asked. "Why isn't he fighting? That's weird."

And in typical eyebrow-raising fashion, White chose to leave more ambiguity than clarity in the ongoing saga surrounding "The Last Emperor."

"I don't know (if he has a contract with Strikeforce)," White said. "If he doesn't, that would be interesting, wouldn't it?"
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm

anderson fought at 167 lbs.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

You just get the feeling that he will be leaving Strikeforce, dont you?

Strikeforce middleweight champion, Jake Shields has been speaking about his options following his upcoming April 17th clash with Dan Henderson at Strikeforce: Nashville, saying it’s a great feeling to have someone like Dana White watching his back.
    Speaking via MMAWeekly.com, Shields said:

“I took the risk. I had the option of course to renegotiate my contract before the fight, and I just felt like it wasn’t really that I wanted to leave Strikeforce, I felt like I wanted to be a free agent and take things from there.”

“It makes me feel great to have them behind me, especially someone as powerful as Dana White. He’s obviously very important in this sport. I still like Strikeforce. I don’t have any bad feelings towards them. They’ve always been good.”

Shields also spoke about the advertising campaign that Strikeforce have undertaken, constantly pushing his opponent, Dan Henderson with little or no mention of him.

“By them doing that it’s kind of pushing me out, but who knows, nothing’s 100 percent at this point still. I’m just worried about training really hard, and if I go out there and beat Henderson it’s really going to shake things up and put me in a really good situation.”

“There’s a lot of factors to take in place, but I’m just worried about getting through this fight and take it from there. I know Henderson’s a tough fight for the last fight on my contract, but I feel like going for it and taking it from there and see what happens.”
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm

So is it time to Bring Jake Shields into the UFC?- Asks Chuck

ITS TIME- Replys Bruce Buffer (I mean Dana White Laughing )

7 minutes ago via UberTwitter RT @AntonioBanuelos: RT @leonidasmma: @danawhite so is it time to bring Jake Shields in the UFC fold?
    4:44 PM Apr 18th via UberTwitter

@ChuckLiddell its time!!!
    about 7 hours ago via web

This is a conversation between Chuck and Dana on twitter. Chuck is very good friends with Shields. And i think Dana see's this signing as a great opportunity to stick it to Strikeforce.

Im suprised SF dont have a clause to stop champions leaving, this is going to be a huge blow to them i feel.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:45 pm