THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday Empty Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday Jake-shields

Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields' exclusive negotiation period with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion has expired, though negotiations with the company remain ongoing.

Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) that he will begin non-exclusive negotiations tomorrow.

"The options are all good," Jack Shields said, though he did not confirm whether Strikeforce had yet offered a new contract.

Exclusive negotiating periods are put in place to protect a promotion's investment in a fighter and are common to high-profile talent. The exclusive period is usually followed by a matching period where the promotion has the option to match offers from other companies.

Shields' contract is currently in such a "matching period," though the length of that clause is currently unknown. Until that expires, Shields is not a true free agent, and Strikeforce can elect to match any potential offers the fighter might receive from the UFC.

Shields' Strikeforce contract, which was secured through the promotion's acquisitions of the now-defunct EliteXC organization's assets, is unique because it does not have a "champion's clause," which would have automatically extended his contract following successive title defenses as the organization's middleweight champion.

UFC president Dana White has repeatedly expressed his desire to sign Shields as soon as the exclusive period ends, though after this past weekend's UFC 114 event the executive said he didn't really know what the exact terms of the Strikeforce champion's deal.

"I'm not sure," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I can't talk to him while he's under contract. We don't play like that.

"I don't think it's rocket science. Everybody knows he doesn't want to be there anymore. They suck, we don't, and he's coming here."

Jack Shields, however, said that his son's trip to the UFC is by no means a done deal.

"We haven't made up our mind," he said. "Both places have a lot to offer."

Jake Shields, 31, served the final fight of his Strikeforce contract when he defended his 185-pound title against Dan Henderson in April at "Strikeforce: Nashville." The promotion did not exercise an option to fight Shields again before the time on his contract expired.

Shields' April win was marred by a post-event brawl involving several Strikeforce fighters including Shields, Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez, Nick Diaz and Nate Diaz.

Prior to the fight, Shields (25-4-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) told MMAjunkie.com he wished to be a free agent once again with an aim on facing the sport's best fighters – including UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre – though he stressed that he wasn't necessarily unhappy with his current promotional home. After he defeated Henderson, he planned to take a vacation and evaluate his options when he returned.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker last month told SI.com that he was undecided on whether to keep the middleweight champion in the fold.

"Can I guarantee that we won't release him? No, I can't," Coker said. "It depends on how the last two or three weeks of negotiation go. I won't be able to answer until negotiations are over. Is it a possibility? It's a possibility.

"If we're not going to be in the Jake Shields business, let's just move on. That's how I feel. This is a business. Jake has a career and a life and it's not fair to him. But Jake is a guy we've appreciated having him as part of the family."

Coker and Strikeforce officials did not respond to requests by MMAjunkie.com for comment on Shields' current status with the promotion.

It is believed that Shields is among five fighters who have been targeted by the Tennessee Athletic Commission for suspensions and fines stemming from the April post-fight melee, though the commission will not confirm the names of the accused.

If a recommendation to suspend the fighters is issued, they could face up to nine months' suspension and $20,000 in fines, unless they agree to a "consent order" – essentially to admit guilt – which would reduce the punishment to a three-month suspension and $5,000 or $7,500 fine.

Jack Shields said his son will agree to a consent order if a suspension is recommended.

"Jake regrets having pushed Miller, and if he hadn't pushed Miller, we would fight (the decision)," he said. "But since he did push Miller, we won't fight."
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday Empty Re: Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday

Post  elmatadorafa Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:10 am

A blind guy can fully see Shields going to UFC. No one expected him to negotiate a new contract with SF in the exclusive period, and now that its passed, its fully expected he signs for UFC barring any problems in negotiation with UFC.

Although i think Dana is so desperate to get one over SF, that he will not mind paying Shields abit more than they actually think he deserves. Its not very often, a champion is allowed to become a free agent like this.

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 pm